Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

First Non Official FFToday Mock Draft Discussion

Four days until the reality that I have the best team sinks in.

Or Maybe not. These rookie RBs could wind up in Minny, Houston, and Baltimore at which point I'd be royally screwed.

even if they all end up in what we think are the best situations, I wouldn't be overly excited to have 1 known NFL commodity and 3 unknowns.

Last pick is in. Sorry guys. Every time I checked I was a ways away, then I had to go out of town for a family emergency and my mind wasn't on FF. For my last pick, I just took a wild flyer on a deep sleeper, Tommy Streeter.

Tynes is unemployed. Why Akers has a job and Tynes doesn't is a mystery. :wall: I dread the two or three Lions losses related to an Akers meltdown next year unless Kickalicious saves the day and dropkicks the loser into a dumpster.

Sorry, another flare up of my Akers Hatred Syndrome.

This pick is about Tynes. Tynes had a great FF season last year so the NYG PK job is gold. That's why I had his replacement plugged in as my 15th round pick but. Then, when I found out that I wasn't required to draft a PK, I pulled my preselect picks to reconsider.

I wasn't aware that Tynes was released from the Giants. He was on several of my teams last season & was a reliable starter week in & week out. Like Voltaire said, the PK job in New York has a lot of scoring opportunities & whomever gets the gig will be a solid starter this season.

definitely was. too bad the chatter died down i was hoping to see more analysis from people on their strats and all but i enjoyed it.

thanks for the invite

definitely was. too bad the chatter died down i was hoping to see more analysis from people on their strats and all but i enjoyed it.

thanks for the invite

1.8 Calvin Johnson WR DET

(Obvious value. I think he stays Tier1 until age 30 and Tier 2 , couple of years into his 30s)

2.5 MJD RB Jax

(Wont bet against high character RBs like mjd and adp and discount them too much because of an injury. Although lis franc is more scarier than an acl/lcl)

3.8 David Wilson RB NYG

(If he picks up ball security , i see him as a high rb2 with rb1 upside with receptions)

4.5 Sproles RB NO

(Solid 3rd round pick for 2 years. Durable)

5.8 Colin Kaepernick QB SF

(Should've gone rookie RB here. Panicked a bit thinking i wont see any QBs i want after round 6.)

6.5 Eric Decker WR DEN

(Receptions will go down, but should stay a low end wr2 atleast)

7.8 Kenny Brit WR TEN

(How many years can you ###### up ? You have to mature at some point. Best case is he turns it around like Dez. But unlike Dez, Brit is a special kind of stupid).

8.5 RG3 QB WAS

(Betting he comes back from injury. At the least a trade bait. Could easily upgrade to RB2 or better)

9.8 Cecil Shorts WR JAX

(Concussions scare me. But wont bet against young promising talent)

10.5 Jared Cook TE STL

(No SJAX, Bradford's first 4k season with 30 TDS. Someone has to catch them)

11.8 Kendall Wright WR TEN (

Insurance to britt, with very good hands and talent, could'nt ignore him in the 11th)

12.5 Ryan Williams

(50/50 lottery pick)

13.8 Dwayne Allen TE IND

I think ceiling is around 60 to 70 catches per season. Also think floor is 60 catches if he stays healthy with Luck throwing. Even if they draft another WR.

14.5 Michael Bush RB CHI

Forte is bound to go down at some point.

15.8 Michael Floyd WR ARI

Best WR to come out of 2012 draft. betting he puts it together year 2 or 3. Fitz is almost 30. He is in a privileged situation to learn from one of the greats. List goes on about positives.

thanks for the invite

I was planning on my team analysis/favorite teams but never got around to it yet. I'll post tomorrow after I digest the real draft that just went down.

Four days until the reality that I have the best team sinks in.

Lacy to Green Bay :pointstosky:

Bernard to Cincy :pointstosky:

Nailed two down. Now we'll see where Franklin goes

Came in here to post this. You stepped in some lucky shiot there Voltaire. :overhead:

Let's not pencil in these guys as starters in the NFL just yet. I'll be rooting for you, though.

ill take Bell to the steelers.

although i can currently say with confidence that none of the NFL draft makes me feel like I would use higher than an 8th round pick on any rookie RB.

ill take Bell to the steelers.

although i can currently say with confidence that none of the NFL draft makes me feel like I would use higher than an 8th round pick on any rookie RB.

Well of course regarding Bell. If we knew who was going to the Steelers or Denver those were RBs I would have taken. But that reinforces my entire point that rolling the dice on rookies was the smart move. There were lots of jobs to be had and whoever landed in them were going to be solid. I would have kept going drafting the rookie RBs but rosters are so small and I had no choice but to address other needs.

As for the line about not picking one before round eight line, here's a refresher of the RB poo we were sifting through when I took Bernard: 8.1 Pead, 8.3 Harris, 8.4 Bradshaw, 8.6 Bernard 8.8 Stewart, 8.9 Brown, 8.12 Hillman

You'll notice these are all handcuffs. None of them have starting jobs except Bernard and Stewart (who was still there because he royally sucked last year though actually in fairness, it should get better for him since I expect DWill gets cut).

Bernard and Lacy are comparable to David Wilson who has also accomplished nothing in the NFL, has Brown as a sidekick with him, went at 3.8, and yet nobody batted an eyelash since it was a legit pick.

Anyways, believe what you want. I'll let the upcoming mock drafts/drafts for this format speak for themselves. As for me, I'm thrilled because the draft has played out exactly how I'd hope it would since it handed me two starting RBs on the cheap.

This is focking awesomeness:

QB: Vick or Dalton

RBs: Spiller/Lacy/Bernard

WR: Cobb/Cruz/T.Smith

TE: Gronkowski

Why am I the only guy drafting rookie RBs? :dunno:

Maybe I'll look like an idiot in two weeks, but I think I won't. There are starting jobs to be had- good ones- and unlike other positions, rookie RBs can produce in year one. Granted, I might be getting David Wilsons. I might also be getting Doug Martins. I like my shot at getting 2nd/3rd round value in rounds 5/7/8. I hope I hit with all three but I should hit with at least two.

I didn't draft them early. I drafted them late- 5, 7, 8. Somebody's going to Pitt, Cincy, GB, Denver, Jets and those are great jobs. Granted, they could wind up in a RBBC in Miami or St. Louis which wouldn't go over too well. A 4th/5th rounder may wind up in a better situation than a 1st/2nd. Lacey should be a stud where ever he goes and Franklin and Bernard are 7/8 not "early" picks. The RBs taken around them are not in good spots/situations these are at worst as bad as them but with upside that could be lottery ticket gold.

Bump. I did wind up hitting the jackpot with at least two rookie RB lottery tickets which as I pointed out earlier was the goal. I identified 4 1/2 open RB jobs I wanted to land two of my rookies in: (Pitt, Cincy, GB, Denver, Jets) and did get 'em into two spots. So I'm in really great shape then. Lacy and Giovani now move up to rounds 2/3 caliber players.

As a bonus, Detroit hasn't taken a WR yet so locking up their WR2/3 spots should be valuable for WR4 #s as Burleson and Broyles and DumDum were all decent there in their turn.

Gronkowski, unfortunately, is having complications with the complications to his arm which may be troublesome.

Bump. I did wind up hitting the jackpot with at least two rookie RB lottery tickets which as I pointed out earlier was the goal. I identified 4 1/2 open RB jobs I wanted to land two of my rookies in: (Pitt, Cincy, GB, Denver, Jets) and did get 'em into two spots. So I'm in really great shape then. Lacy and Giovani now move up to rounds 2/3 caliber players.

As a bonus, Detroit hasn't taken a WR yet so locking up their WR2/3 spots should be valuable for WR4 #s as Burleson and Broyles and DumDum were all decent there in their turn.

Gronkowski, unfortunately, is having complications with the complications to his arm which may be troublesome.

Well, the Packers improved their running game but in turn negated much of your running back depth after selecting Jonathan Franklin & Eddie Lacey. You're gonna need an injury to open up the job exclusively to one of those backs so you can start one. Otherwise you could see a Carolina RBBC where you don't know which back to start on any given week but Franklin should be the better option in PPR formats.

Well of course regarding Bell. If we knew who was going to the Steelers or Denver those were RBs I would have taken. But that reinforces my entire point that rolling the dice on rookies was the smart move. There were lots of jobs to be had and whoever landed in them were going to be solid. I would have kept going drafting the rookie RBs but rosters are so small and I had no choice but to address other needs.

As for the line about not picking one before round eight line, here's a refresher of the RB poo we were sifting through when I took Bernard: 8.1 Pead, 8.3 Harris, 8.4 Bradshaw, 8.6 Bernard 8.8 Stewart, 8.9 Brown, 8.12 Hillman

You'll notice these are all handcuffs. None of them have starting jobs except Bernard and Stewart (who was still there because he royally sucked last year though actually in fairness, it should get better for him since I expect DWill gets cut).

Bernard and Lacy are comparable to David Wilson who has also accomplished nothing in the NFL, has Brown as a sidekick with him, went at 3.8, and yet nobody batted an eyelash since it was a legit pick.

Anyways, believe what you want. I'll let the upcoming mock drafts/drafts for this format speak for themselves. As for me, I'm thrilled because the draft has played out exactly how I'd hope it would since it handed me two starting RBs on the cheap.

This is focking awesomeness:

QB: Vick or Dalton

RBs: Spiller/Lacy/Bernard

WR: Cobb/Cruz/T.Smith

TE: Gronkowski

Rolling the dice is great if you do it once or twice. Three or four times so early in a draft (albeit a mock) is too much of a gamble in my opinion. Again, it was just a mock and now we know where all the chips have fallen but I still don't see myself taking one of the rookie backs before the 8th... maaayyybe the 7th.

I think it ended up biting you in the ass to a degree with the Packers doubling up on your top 3 rookie backs. Now, on top of hoping those guys are actually as good as you think, you have to hope one of them shines and takes the lions share of carries. If the Packer backfield ends up being a huge RBBC and if Bernard doesn't overtake BJGE (i don't expect him to this year, to be honest) then you're seriously lacking at RB2 considering you used your 5th and 7th picks on essentially 1 RB.... which is pretty much the opposite of 'cheap'.

Yes you are right, the other RB's taken in the 8th are ?'s but i didn't say anything about taking a veteran RB in the 8th. I'll let my board dictate that. There are other FF positions I can fill in the 7th and 8th if I don't like the RB options available to me. Stewart just happens to be a guy I have a feeling about. I wasn't meaning to compare him to the rookies. Sorry for the confusion.

again, this is just my 2 cents. I probably would have said nothing about you drafting rookies, but you asked why you were the only one taking them, so I felt compelled to give my thoughts on the situation.

Yeah, this Franklin going to Green Bay certainly puts a damper on things. Less excited than I was before obviously.

Yeah, this Franklin going to Green Bay certainly puts a damper on things. Less excited than I was before obviously.

That's why it's a mock, Volt. Make some moves you might not during your regular draft & swing for the fences. That's why we mock in the 1st place.

Here's my team from the #11 spot.

1. LeSean McCoy - Went from a Top 3 draft pick last year to an afterthought in the 1st round. He'll likely lose carries to Bryce Brown but the up-tempo pace of Chip Kelly's offense should provide him with ample scoring opportunities. He's a PPR machine & he was the best available RB on the board as well so it was an easy pick. Was hoping for Ray Rice but he went one pick before mine.

2. Alfred Morris - Not the greatest PPR option, but he was my next highest rated RB after McCoy. If RGIII isn't ready to start the season, Shanahan will likely lean on Morris. Hopefully Morris doesn't fall into the RBBC hell that Shanahan is known for but his rookie campaign should warrant ample playing time. Brandon Marshall was my other option with my 2nd pick but with the quality RB's being scarce I decided to solidify my backfield.

3. Wes Welker - He's no spring chicken but he goes from receiving passes from one HOF'er to another. Welker is always where he needs to be on his route running & Peyton Manning loves that. Great PPR option at this point. Thought about snagging Reggie Bush since throttlers didn't select a RB with either of his 1st two picks.

4. Andre Johnson - Once again, I selected an aging veteran but couldn't pass up another PPR beast when healthy. He's a beast all over the field & benefits from the play-action passing opportunities that Arian Foster opens up for him in the running game. Cam Newton was my other choice for this pick.

5. Steve Smith - Rounded off my receiving core with another senior citizen. Smith is still the #1 receiving option in Carolina & also benefits from the defense focusing on the rushing threat of Cam & Co.

6. Matt Ryan - With Tony Gonzalez putting off retirement & Julio Jones entering the magical 3rd year, Matty Ice was an easy pick. Oh yeah, there's this guy named Roddy White there as well. He's pretty good. If SJax can provide a boost to the running game, Ryan should improve upon on his impressive 2012 season.

7. Shane Vereen - With Danny Woodhead headed to San Diego, Vereen becomes Brady's checkdown option. Ridley & now Blount aren't pass catchers so the door is wide open for Vereen to catch a lot of passes. If Ridley was to suffer an injury, Vereen could take over starting duties & become the steal of the draft, IMO.

8. Kyle Rudolph - Rudolph became Ponder's favorite redzone target in 2012. He just needs to be split out more often to exploit the physical mismatch he is for defenses. Should easily sneak into the Top 5 at the tight end position, IMO.

9. Josh Gordon - Showed flashes of big play ability in his rookie season. Would really benefit from a better receiver opposite of him & a competent quarterback but he made the best of it last season. Solid WR4 at this point in the draft & decent flex play.

10. Jaquizz Rodgers - Pass-catching back who'd more than likely be only a bye week/injury fill-in play.

11. Willis McGahee - Old man rivers might be the odd man out with the drafting of Montee Ball & the renaissance effort that Knowshon Moreno put forth when McGahee got injured. His veteran presence & low cap # may save him a roster spot.

12. Mohammed Sanu - Should start opposite of AJ Green but there's going to be a lot of mouths to feed in Cincy with Gresham, Jones & the newly drafted Tyler Eifert. Not to mention Giovanni Bernard should be catching his share of passes out of the backfield.

13. Cincinnati Defense - Best available defense & I'm a homer. Defense produced many sacks last season & everyone is back that had any significant impact in 2012.

14. Rueben Randle - If Hakeem Nicks is hampered by injuries once again, Randle could be a great late round draft value.

15. Lawrence Tynes - Not even on a roster but who cares, it's a fockin kicker!

Considering I drafted from the #11 hole, I like this team. The only bad thing about drafting late this year is that you're forced to draft a running back with atleast one of your 1st two picks. Taking 2 is actually a solid strategy since the WR & QB depth is so deep. I had a great time drafting with you fellas & look forward to the two dynasty leagues I got into recently with several of you.

I didn't plan anything in advance- my entire draft was an educational experience done on the fly. I chose to pick in the middle because it wouldn't let me tune in and out like I can at the corners. It forced me to work and I had to always be on the ball.

The first thing I noticed is that the 11/12 spot in PPR really sucks this year.Normally I like the corner but after Calvin Johnson and the top nine RBs... what a drop. GreenTD caught a break at 11 because Rodgers went earlier and he took what fell out from the other nine folks- McCoy.

The next thing I noticed is just how deep the QBs and TEs are this year. Especially TE. It blows my mind and totally changes everything.

I've been playing FF since 1998. Back then, there were three top flight TEs, another five that were decent, and then poo - in a twelve team league, four teams would have near zeros. You'd draft for a TE that would give you less points than a WR available because you didn't want to be one of the four without. Last year TEs got tons of love, the position is now super deep and we had good ones available all through round 15.

My Gronkowski pick felt great at the time. Normally in mid-round two, that would be a steal. But 2013 is different. When I started seeing how many other quality TEs were around so very, very late I was shocked- totally caught off guard. I came away less pleased with the Gronk pick (even before news broke that he got infections in his arm. I'm rethinking the value of that TE position. It's flipped from too few to too many and am going to wait a long time for TE this year.

Usually you can wait until round five and get a decent RB2. This draft with the weird flex RB rule drained the RBs earlier since so many took 3 RBs in the first four rounds. Weird to me anyways, I don't play in leagues like that. 1/2/3/1/1/1 with no flex is what I'm use to n 12 team drafts. That's when I started rolling on rookie RBs. The cupboards were bare since I was stacking the shelves elsewhere. Hapy to get Cobb and especially Cruz since it made no sense to me how he fell.

Rolling the dice paid off great. I got just what I wanted for cheap. :wub:

The T. Smith pick was interesting. I had no QBs, the and the next few teams had no QBs either. Needed a RB, but none to be had. I could lead the parade... no. WRs were wearing out. Tons of gorgeous TEs available, I could have had one here, instead I had Gronk and a need for QB/WR3. It was at this point I got really p*ssed. If I had taken a stud WR in 2 instead of Gronk, I could have had a stud TE here and that would be a better combo. Or ... wait on TE there were so many, and get that QB here.

I took the WR., passed on the QB knowing the parade would occur but didn't really care because even if they all took one, I had a top 13 and there were still two more to get and WRs were really thining badly at that point.

In 7, I was the last team with no QB. I had two more I wanted but figured nobody else had a need so I figured I was safe to slide again. I still had gorgeous TEs out the ears to choose from and pi*ssed at picking Gronk in two. Went for another roll of the dice on a rookie RB, it was a bad one, Franklin wound up in a bad spot.

I had to lock down a 2nd/3rd backfield RB. Giovani was going to be an early pick as well so Iput in my preselect for him. I figured Lacy was sure to get a good starting job but more importantly, between I didn't trust Franklin would, I wanted another lottery ticket. That was Giovani, it was the best pick of the draft except maybe Bell, but it left me exposed. I got who I wanted but was extremely displeased that RG3 went off the board before my auto-pick. I fully expected him to slide. RG3 and Vick were the last two QBs I wanted. If auto-pick hadn't gone off, I may well have paniced and taken Vick instead of Giovani. I wanted Vick much more than Giovani but took Giovani because I expected him to be gone but for either RG3 or Vick or both to slide. Instead I needed Vick to slide and was super nervous that I'd be screwed at QB.

Hallelujia, he did. If my best pick ws Giovani, my favorite one was Vick. I should have taken him a round earlier, it would have deprived me of my best pick in Giovani, I gambled by accident that nobody wanted a QB2 and was lucky as hell they didn;t. I so happy I scooped him up. It'd have been a disaster had he not and the problem just went away. Backed him up with Dalton the next round who was #14 but way down after the top 13 on par with Eli but ahead of the two usual traditional low end QB1s who got bumped by all the rooks and guys who I expect to take a step back this season due to personel changes at WR: Flacco and Roethlisberger. After the top 13, there's a drop of two to Dalton/Eli then another two in Flacco/Ben then the rest. Didn't worry about the rest. Vick is injury prone, Eli was already gone and there's another drop at QB after Dalton, better get Dalotn.

It was a crying shame to pass on Daniels. Holy hell, it's round ten and Daniels is still here WTF? It made me p*ssed more than ever at the Gronkowski pick. If I had taken a RB or WR in 2, Daniels would have been on this team two rounds ago.

So next round I take Gresham. Although a massive step down from Daniels, everything sucks except TE and so that's what I did.

Next round I, totally by accident, pulled part A of an old FF trick I used year-after-year from long ago. It use to be that Favre's Packers had Antonio Freeman at WR1 and a new bunch of sorry ass nobodies competing for the WR2 job. Peyton's Colts were the same: Marvin Harrison and nobodies before Reggie Wayne got drafted and changed it. Every draft I was in for years, come round 10/11/12 or so I'd take back-to-back Packer WR trash and be rewarded with dirt cheap WR3#s for my efforts. :wub:

So I take Burleson, don't trust him at all, just like the situation. So then I'm taking a D, I consider Broyles in 14 but pass because I like Hartline. Come 15 I expect to take a kicker, got Brown from the Giants at the top of my preselect but found out that I don't need to draft a kicker. It was really late, I was tired, I didn't want to thik too hard so I remove all my preselects and went to bed.

Woke up, the first name I think of is Ball- now I know I should have taken him- but I remember those glorious Green Bay days of cheapo WR3s... I take Broyles to go with Burleson. I almost took Burleson in 14 which meant this would have been Ball.

GreenTd, I like your rb value at the turn. I don't like 3 wr all over 30. And Matt Ryan where u got him a great value.