Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

Ray Rice to be pushed heavily by Benard Pierce...do you believe the hype?

I see Pierce as a good backup and definately better than Ricky Williams of a few years ago but I am not going to panic.

Didnt Ray Rice produce top 5 stats as a running back when Willis McGahee was stealing the majority of TDs?

I see it of little concern as Ray Rice will have a better YPC, more if not the same amount of catches, fresher legs possibly, despite a few less carries.

Dont believe the Hype imo.....Ray Rice is one of the most consistent Fantasy Football Players out there. He is the Ravens Meal Ticket.

Thoughts......

Remember, this is just coming from one local guy. I wouldn't put much into it, but I wouldn't be crazy about it if I were a Rice owner, either.

I think he spells rice a little more, definitely a wise handcuff

if you look at rice over the last four seasons both rushing att and rec he avg 347 touches per season . thats alot of pounding. i don;t know rice has been a great fantasy football player so its hard to knock him down even a very little bit ..but i can see then using pierce a little more ..but rice will still imo be getting the major work load imo ..

Murf.....when Ray Rice was in his 2nd yr I recall him having a very nice year whether in ppr or standard. He also had a stud rb Willis McGahee stealing nearly all goal line tds.

I consider McGahee a much larger threat than Bernard Pierce. I think you are Overreacting a tad on not drafting Ray Rice until the 3rd round. just sayin....

Rice will certainly have a lighter workload this season. However, whenever they get inside the 5 you'll see Rice in the backfield.

Whats the saying? Something like "the backup QB is the most popular guy in town"?

I think we also can say that the backup RB is the most popular guy in fantasy football.

Guys like David Wilson, Lamar Miller, Chris Ivory, and Daryl Richardson are all getting big pushes on the draft board based on the small sample of success during the 2012 season.

And the backups getting hype are:

Pierce, Andre Brown, Bryce Brown, Shane Vereen, Robert Turbin, Michael Bush, Ben Tate (yet again)

I feel like this really proves the fact that solid RBs are at an all time low this season, and it's so important to get 2 starting RBs early in the draft, because you can't promise me the RBs in that first list will end up as top 15 RBs, and the RBs on the 2nd list will end up as top 25 RBs.

Pierve is a back that would do really well in a starters role. Think of him like a M Bush a few years back in Oakland. That said If Rice is okay he is no more than a 8-12 carry a game back that could get GL looks. He is not a receiving threat but could be a decent flex play if needed on a bye week as he could get a score and about 40-50 yards

I'm down on Rice this year. Not that I think he's gonna lose his job or anything, but I think he's a candidate to perform below his high draft position. Primarily due to the uncertain status of the Ravens' offense and the fact that they transitioned towards being more of a passing team.

Rice is still a stud. He's still the #1 RB for the Ravens, and will likely see another 300+ touches in 2013, barring injury.

But any unbiased fan is crazy if they don't see the talent in Pierce. I had no horse in the race, but Bernard Pierce, AT TIMES, looked like the better running back in Baltimore. Maybe Rice was banged up. Maybe he wore down. Maybe the play-calling simply worked in Pierce's favor. But when Pierce was brought on the field, he looked EXPLOSIVE - moreso than Rice did at times. Now, Rice is still the complete back, and he does things better than Pierce that matter a lot in today's NFL - namely pass-catching and blocking.

For now, Pierce is nothing but Ray Rice's handcuff with occasional FLEX appeal based on the matchups. But definitely monitor the situation - If Pierce starts seeing 10-12 touches a game, and starts out-performing Rice on a per-touch basis, then Pierce may force Baltimore's hand to re-address the RB pecking order as soon as 2014. More likely, IMO, is that happens in 2015.

Whats the saying? Something like "the backup QB is the most popular guy in town"?

I think we also can say that the backup RB is the most popular guy in fantasy football.

Guys like David Wilson, Lamar Miller, Chris Ivory, and Daryl Richardson are all getting big pushes on the draft board based on the small sample of success during the 2012 season.

Pierce, Andre Brown, Bryce Brown, Shane Vereen, Robert Turbin, Michael Bush, Ben Tate (yet again)

I feel like this really proves the fact that solid RBs are at an all time low this season, and it's so important to get 2 starting RBs early in the draft, because you can't promise me the RBs in that first list will end up as top 15 RBs, and the RBs on the 2nd list will end up as top 25 RBs.

of the back up rb you have on your list .i like a brown the most .i think he will end up being the starter with the gmen ..

I'm down on Rice this year. Not that I think he's gonna lose his job or anything, but I think he's a candidate to perform below his high draft position. Primarily due to the uncertain status of the Ravens' offense and the fact that they transitioned towards being more of a passing team.

They lost Boldin though.

I feel like Rice has a similar year to last season. I wouldn't reach for him though.

Big factor to also consider is the loss of Vonta Leach. Both Rice and Pierce take a slight hit.

As someone said, Pierce isn't going anywhere. However, he does seem to get dinged up frequently given his workload. Also, I HATE to hear that a RB put on 10 pounds. All in all, Ravens have an impressive 1-2 punch in Rice and Pierce.

Rice will still get his. He's averaged 250-300 carries over the past four seasons. As he did last season, he did quite well with 250 carries. His real value, in our scoring system, is in receptions. I can still see Rice with 325 combined touches.

If you go back to last year, CJ Spiller, David Wilson, Stevan Ridley were all guys people mentioned as potential sleepers. If you got all 3 guys you had to have been happy.

This year I think David WIlson will be a great pick as will Chris Ivory. They're both going in the middle of drafts I have done, which is different from the Ridley and Spiller value we got last year sometimes, but isn't too bad if they pan out. Also remember Michael Turner the year he left the Chargers and broke out with the Falcons was a 5th round type guy.

A lot of championship teams, probably most actually, are built with those mid to late picks.

I'm not as high on any of those guys this year really as I was Spiller last year, and I did get Ridley too in most of my leagues, but you can't know for sure. I actually wound up cutting the both of them in my early drafts iirc (hehe). Why? Because the prevailing wisdom at the time was those guys were a waste of roster space and would do nothing. Anybody that is telling you differently now is probably lying.

Turnover is actually much higher in fantasy football than a lot of fantasy players are willing to admit. You have a lot of guys dropping out of and into the top 15 every year in the RB and WR positions. Heck even the QB position isn't exactly set in stone.

Oh and just for Tate, Tate is an injury play and imo the only handcuff worth sticking on your roster. He's the closest thing to the Spiller situation there is, a super talented player that easily could be starting for most of the teams in the league but isn't because he just happens to have a top guy in front of him. But then, that top guy could get injured and fall out of favor overnight. F-Jax was an absolute beast prior to last year, it's revisionist history to forget that. I guess you can say the same for Rice though.

Bernard Pierce 7 carries 10yds, lost fumble for TD, sprained knee still lil gimpy. Ray Rice is looking like he will not be threatened one bit by Pierce.

Bernard Pierce 7 carries 10yds, lost fumble for TD, sprained knee still lil gimpy. Ray Rice is looking like he will not be threatened one bit by Pierce.

end of last season and the split of touches even in that same game you reference says othewise

Will he still do good......YES

But will Rice owners be bitching all season because of pierce? Absolutely.

Pierce looked slow, timid, gimpy, fumbled for a td and has a history of knee dings in there tuneup week 3 preseason game and past games. Tell me if any of what I just said was incorrect.

Pierce looked slow, timid, gimpy, fumbled for a td and has a history of knee dings in there tuneup week 3 preseason game and past games. Tell me if any of what I just said was incorrect.

Pierce became an integral part of the run game as a rookie even in the playoofs. Rice fumbled a lot in the playoffs. Touch split was 12 Pierce 16 Rice in last game and it was intermixed not just certain packages or with backups.

No RB in first round has a time share even close to Rice.....

Tell me if anything I just said was incorrect.

Your right, I am too.

I am not impressed one bit with Pierce who has already tweaked a knee......again. Has horrible ball security ie fumble for a td last week. Looks slow, timid, and has major durability concerns.

Agree to disagree my friend. Remember Ray Rice had an awesome season in 2010 when McGahee vultured all of rice tds.

Pierce is no McGahee ..... period. :nono:

Your right, I am too.

I am not impressed one bit with Pierce who has already tweaked a knee......again. Has horrible ball security ie fumble for a td last week. Looks slow, timid, and has major durability concerns.

Agree to disagree my friend. Remember Ray Rice had an awesome season in 2010 when McGahee vultured all of rice tds.

Pierce is no McGahee ..... period. :nono:

If I were a coach Rice would only leave field for rest. For some reason they love Pierce.

You are that guy that has to jerk himself off in front of everyone every time you are right. We really don't need to see it.

Thats not nice.

You are that guy that has to jerk himself off in front of everyone every time you are right. We really don't need to see it.

Whoa whoa, Murf is not even close to right on anything he predicted so far, no need to give him any credit yet. I see an overreaction thread from Murf posted after the superbowl saying hes afraid of rice since pierce played well. Then I see a rotoworld blurb saying pierce ran in a preseason game and tweaked his knee after an OP throwing out a question of if he should be concerned. I say not at all and Rice is as safe as any pick after AP. Pencil him in for whatever his avg stats have been the last 3 years, hes steady as a rock, not breaking down and not being pushed by Pierce. People freak when the backup does anything, even tho its a good thing to have a talented backup to give ur guy some rest. Hey diddle diddle ray rice up the middle all year long just like its always been.

I dont know why the ravens like pierce so much that they think its wise to put him in there when rice doesnt need a breather. The guy really doesnt compare to rice at all. That being said though There's one reason I see pierce having more touches this year and eating into Rices carries. That's the no huddle offense they are wanting to implement more of this year. And when pierce is on the field at that time rice could go a whole entire series and a lot of time off the clock with him not getting any touches. The ravens should be smarter and not take their best player off the field unless he needs a breather. Rice is the key to them winning games not flacco

not to mention this is a new year with no pitta or bolden.......they may lean on rice more in all areas of the game. Rice is a solid pick in all formats and Pierce and his gimpy, slow, unreliable fumbling self will simply be a small part of the ravens offense.

I don't normally buy into the "handcuff" theory, but as a Rice owner, I'm very tempted to snag Pierce. I've always defined a "handcuff" as a backup of a stud who would step in and be a top-10 RB instantly if anything happened to the starter. Right now, I only see 2 guys in the league who are worthy of the title "handcuff"- Ben Tate and Pierce.