Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Transgender 6-year-old wins civil rights case to use girls' bathroom at Colorado school

The Colorado Civil Rights Division has ruled an elementary school discriminated against a transgender 6-year-old child by barring her from using the girls' bathroom.

KDVR reports the New York-based Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund announced the ruling Sunday, and said they would hold a news conference Monday to explain the decision in the case of Coy Mathis, who was born a boy but identifies as a girl.

The fund filed the complaint on behalf of the child's parents Kathryn and Jeremy Mathis, claiming that Coy has been discriminated against at Eagleside Elementary School, which is south of Colorado Springs.

Kathryn Mathis said in a statement that the family is "thrilled that Coy can return to school and put this behind her."

Coy, who had attended the school since kindergarten, had been allowed to use the girls' restroom until December 2012, Reuters reports. The school's principal informed the child's parents that after the holiday break Coy must either use the boys' restroom or a gender-neutral one.

Her parents withdrew Coy from the school. In February, they filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division.

The division's report said the Fountain-Fort Carson School District violated a state law that extends protections to transgender people, according to Reuters.

"Given the evolving research into the development of transgender persons, compartmentalizing a child as a boy or girl solely based on their visible anatomy is a simplistic approach to a difficult and complex issue," the report said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/24/colorado-rights-case-ruling-favors-transgender-6-year-old/?test=latestnews#ixzz2X8lIuWQO

Duh, public schools are hotbeds of discrimination.....anything they do or decide is essentially discriminatory,

Coy should use the boys room or a gender neutral one. When do the parents of the girls in the school sue because a boy is using the girls room.

That monster is masquerading as a child. A responsible parent would beat the foolishness out of them. Meanwhile, let's trample the privacy rights of every other child in that school.

I think the real travesty here is that the parents named this child Coy.

Also, I'm all for equality and rights for all, but if you have a pen1s, you use the bathroom with all the other pen1s-bearing children. Further, doesn't having a Johnson mean that you not be referred to as a "her" or a "she"? I'm a little confused with the whole transgender stuff I guess. :dunno:

is there really such a thing as gender neutral bathrooms, or is that something they made up to try and compromise with this kids idiot parents?

I think the real travesty here is that the parents named this child Coy.

Also, I'm all for equality and rights for all, but if you have a pen1s, you use the bathroom with all the other pen1s-bearing children. Further, doesn't having a Johnson mean that you not be referred to as a "her" or a "she"? I'm a little confused with the whole transgender stuff I guess. :dunno:

but a 6 year old can understand it completely? :dunno:

How is it legal for a boy to be made to act like a girl by his parents. Seriously how is this not child abuse?

How is it legal for a boy to be made to act like a girl by his parents. Seriously how is this not child abuse?

Is this a case of a kid with both kinds of sexual organs?

I don't think its correct to call transgender for someone who hasn't had the surgery...

A little boy who desperately wants to get in the girls bathroom would more properly be defined as displaying perverted behavior.

is there really such a thing as gender neutral bathrooms, or is that something they made up to try and compromise with this kids idiot parents?

A gender neutral bathroom is just a single occupant bathroom.

Phurfur sure seems to stumble across a lot of transgender stories.

I don't get how a 6 year old could indentify himself as transgender. Seems to me like the parents might be super focked up.

Interesting that they named him Coy.

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be Coy, Roy :P

Just get yourself free

~ Paul Simon

I don't get how a 6 year old could indentify himself as transgender. Seems to me like the parents might be super focked up.

:thumbsup:

What he said.

Change "boys" and "girls" to "pemus" and "vagina". Problem solved.

I laughed but it would correct the error.

It's in the teachers' lounge.

Interesting that they named him Coy.

According to a different article I saw he attached to a lot of girl stuff at an early age. Parents took him to a psychiatrist or psychologist and that's who identified him as transgender. He is one of triplets, with an apparently normal sister and brother.

According to a different article I saw he attached to a lot of girl stuff at an early age. Parents took him to a psychiatrist or psychologist and that's who identified him as transgender. He is one of triplets, with an apparently normal sister and brother.

Ahh, that changes things a bit. :thumbsup:

Still, it seems a little drastic to name a 6yo as "trans-gender", no? I mean, who among us didn't try out putting on a dress and mommy's lipstick when we were little? :unsure:

The psychiatrist is even crazier then the parents and the kid are it seems.