Sign in to follow this  
TxTech9

The "Offensive Player" position strategy

I've been in a 10-team 1ppr league with the same guys for about 6 years now. We always have an OP position where we can put whatever offensive player we want there. Obviously QBs usually score the most points..

QB

2 RB

3 WR

TE

OP

DST

K

Should this change my draft strategy? Should I be trying to take 2 top QBs fast? And focus less on the RBs since there are only a couple handfulls of RB1s anyway?

I've won this league 4 out of the 6 years and haven't drafted 2 elite QBs but I always entertain the idea. I usually just try to stack my WRs and RBs.

I have an advantage because I do a lot more research than a lot of the guys so I can find more value later on in the draft but I just want some other opinions from real FF enthusiasts.

Thank you in advance

Hard to say w/o knowing the draft tendencies of other players and scoring it is hard to say. In theory I would think 2 elite qbs would be a hudge edge.

Hard to say w/o knowing the draft tendencies of other players and scoring it is hard to say. In theory I would think 2 elite qbs would be a hudge edge.

Its 1 PPR, 6 pts for pass td and 3-5 bonus points for 300-500yrd games for QB, RB and WR. Besides that, the scoring is pretty standard.

Im just thinking if I went something like RB, QB, WR, QB in the first 4 rounds that should put me at like 80 points right off the bat at least.

I've been in a 10-team 1ppr league with the same guys for about 6 years now. We always have an OP position where we can put whatever offensive player we want there. Obviously QBs usually score the most points..

QB

2 RB

3 WR

TE

OP

DST

K

Should this change my draft strategy? Should I be trying to take 2 top QBs fast? And focus less on the RBs since there are only a couple handfulls of RB1s anyway?

I've won this league 4 out of the 6 years and haven't drafted 2 elite QBs but I always entertain the idea. I usually just try to stack my WRs and RBs.

I have an advantage because I do a lot more research than a lot of the guys so I can find more value later on in the draft but I just want some other opinions from real FF enthusiasts.

Thank you in advance

will i would stick with what has been working . if you have won the league 4 out of 6 years your plan is not broken . so try to change it

will i would stick with what has been working . if you have won the league 4 out of 6 years your plan is not broken . so try to change it

That's because I put in a lot more work than most of the league. I'm just thinking I'm not taking advantage of this potentially huge opportunity.

That's because I put in a lot more work than most of the league. I'm just thinking I'm not taking advantage of this potentially huge opportunity.

ok then i like the ideal of the double qb .cause they do score the most points ..so i would say if you feel comfortable in doing that move and using or op on a qb that move looks like a very good ideal .

Anyone who takes a position other than QB is an idiot. I wouldn't let it change my basic strategy though. I'd still take my runners and wides first, then grab a QB, but I'd grab two in a row. You could end up with, say, Kaepernick and Ryan. That's the thing about QBs this year. The 7th and 8th guys are almost as likely to lead the league in fantasy points as the 1st and 2nd.

Yeah..and the thing about the scoring system is that the passing touchdowns aren't a marked advantage over the rushing touchdowns...so Kap/Wilson get a good bump and present value for where they'd be drafted. But as others have said, if you're repeatedly winning this league then I wouldn't change much about your strategy

Anyone who takes a position other than QB is an idiot. I wouldn't let it change my basic strategy though. I'd still take my runners and wides first, then grab a QB, but I'd grab two in a row. You could end up with, say, Kaepernick and Ryan. That's the thing about QBs this year. The 7th and 8th guys are almost as likely to lead the league in fantasy points as the 1st and 2nd.

The issue is, in a 2 QB league, you can't wait until the 5th or 6th round to grab your value QB.

Kaep & Ryan will be (or at least should be in any decent league) 1st or 2nd round picks in a 2 QB league.

The issue is, in a 2 QB league, you can't wait until the 5th or 6th round to grab your value QB.

Kaep & Ryan will be (or at least should be in any decent league) 1st or 2nd round picks in a 2 QB league.

I don't see how. Everyone's in the same boat. Just because QBs score the most points doesn't make a good one a more urgent need than another position. The difference between the top scoring QB and the 15th is MUCH less than between the top scoring RB and the 15th.

If people are grabbing QBs that early I'd stock up on all that talent at RB and WR they're passing over. If that forces me to take, say, Rivers and Eli, I'm OK with that.

I don't see how. Everyone's in the same boat. Just because QBs score the most points doesn't make a good one a more urgent need than another position. The difference between the top scoring QB and the 15th is MUCH less than between the top scoring RB and the 15th.

If people are grabbing QBs that early I'd stock up on all that talent at RB and WR they're passing over. If that forces me to take, say, Rivers and Eli, I'm OK with that.

I think WR is really deep so I'm not too concerned about that. It also depends on what pick I have. If I'm in top 8 I'm absolutely going RB first but then it drops off so ill go WR at 9 or 10 and then maybe another top WR around the turn and catch sproles and Reggie at the next turn for example.

I'm thinking QBs will prob go early, as they normally do so I'm thinking def RBs and or WRs in the first 2 rounds but maybe a Cam and Ryan in the 3rd and 4th. Then I'm basically at 90 pts every week with my first 4 picks..

I think it will come down to my draft position and who's on the board

I don't see how. Everyone's in the same boat. Just because QBs score the most points doesn't make a good one a more urgent need than another position. The difference between the top scoring QB and the 15th is MUCH less than between the top scoring RB and the 15th

Your problem is that you're doing the math for a standard QB league. You're also not accounting for bye weeks or injury either. You realize that if each team in a ten team 2 QB league has just one backup, you're looking at 30 QB's being rostered? If a team has Kaepernick and Peyton Manning on their team, they'd have to have TWO backups.

Trust me, if you play in a 2 QB league, you better get a QB early (not necessarily 1st round) or you better pray that a Mike Vick (2010) or Kaepernick emerges and you're lucky enough to get them on waivers.

And once that QB run starts in a league like these, it doesn't stop.

Your problem is that you're doing the math for a standard QB league. You're also not accounting for bye weeks or injury either. You realize that if each team in a ten team 2 QB league has just one backup, you're looking at 30 QB's being rostered? If a team has Kaepernick and Peyton Manning on their team, they'd have to have TWO backups.

Trust me, if you play in a 2 QB league, you better get a QB early (not necessarily 1st round) or you better pray that a Mike Vick (2010) or Kaepernick emerges and you're lucky enough to get them on waivers.

And once that QB run starts in a league like these, it doesn't stop.

agree once the first qb goes its on

So with all that being said..

It is 3 WR and can start 2 QBs... Would it be smart to get 1 RB in the first few rounds then focus on WR and QB?

It seems like RB is a lesser position in this league.

Without a doubt, you have to get a quality QB first round. If a top 15 QB is available with the 2nd, draft another one. If not, go with an RB.In an OP league, QBs are a huge advantage. If for instance you can start Brees and say a Wilson or Romo each week, you should have a big advantage right out of the gate.

With the deep ranks of WRs this year, you can afford to wait a bit on this.