Sign in to follow this  
bwillingham

Keeper Question - Ray Rice or Alfred Morris?

I am in a 12 team league where each team has one keeper from the previous season. That keeper is essentially our first round pick (so there is no value if I picked up Morris late in the draft last year) and the draft is a standard serpentine after that.

This year I get to choose between Ray Rice and Alfred Morris. I've kept Rice for the last 4 years and have been pleased by his production (although a few more TDs would be nice). Is it time now to go with the younger back in Morris? I've seen them both ranked in the 7 - 15 range by various gurus, although Rice seems to still be ranked slightly higher.

For your info, our scoring system is 1 pt/10 yards rushing or receiving, 10 pt. bonus at 100+ yards rushing or receiving, 10 pt. TDs, -3 for fumbles, no point per reception.

Thanks for your advice.

Ray Ray Rutgers is a souped up version of Steve Slaton, Bernard Pierce is a middle class man's Arian Foster. dig that writing on the wall?

Alf is no world beater. but Shanny is gonna run this kid into the ground. and pound.

hold ALF 'til the wheels fall off (2016).

I AM NEW POSTER GUY!!1!

• Like 1

wow very close in a none ppr league ..i think i am going morris

Anyone else have any thoughts on Rice v. Morris as a keeper? If it matters, I am drafting at #10 of 12.

Rice - I am really worried about the post superbowl let-down and with the loss of Pitta and Boldin and the emergence of Pierce I think Rice's numbers will be down. On the flip side, he may be targeted more in the passing game and the team as a whole might run more as that is where the talent lies with Rice and Pierce.

Morris - Do I trust Shanahan to use Morris as a bell-cow? Is a healthy Helu going to take carries away from Morris? They are certainly going to run RGIII less once he gets back on the field. Will the lack of that RGIII run threat change how teams defend the run? I don't know the answers to any of these questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tough call. As a Rice owner it a keeper, I am worried that this is the year that his numbers dive, but maybe I am just a worrier. He's clearly the most talented back and should still get the majority of the carries, but his touched may continue to decline which worries me.

Morris is tough because you never really know with Shanny, and if RG3 doesn't run as much, it will be interesting to see if Morris loses some of his effectiveness.

In a keeper I think Morris has the higher upside because he is younger and likely has more solid years left in the tank, but Rice is probably the safer pick because he has a proven track record.

if they're the same draft position it's ray rice IMO, you know what you're getting in baltimore..that's not the case in DC with shanny and a guy who went undrafted in virtually all leagues last year (fwiw i still like alfred this year a good amount, i just think people are criminally underrating ray)

Thanks for the responses guys. Since I am drafting 10th, and I estimate the following players will be keepers in our league: AP, Martin, Foster, McCoy, CJ2K, Lynch, Forte, Megatron, Rodgers, Brees and Manning, I am leaning towards going with the safer pick in Rice.