Sign in to follow this  
robblockamyeir

Does anyone trust Tony Romo as a fantasy starter?

I am waiting on QB. Under no real circumstance will I take Rodgers or Brees, or even Manning or Brady a little later. My question is, if I am waiting a while to take a QB, should I just wait all the way to Tony Romo or sacrifice a little bit and take Kaepernick a little earlier than I would take Romo? I just don't know how much I can trust Romo as my week in, week out starter. I am open for input.. Thanks!

he'll put up some points, but could also be very inconsistent.

it's hard to not like him as a #1 FF QB with Dez and Witten as targets. Plus Austin is still solid when his hammy's aren't pulled...

i don't want him as my NFL team's starter, and he could be frustrating at times, but he's a decent later round QB selection if you pass on the big time talent.

A mid round qb that you can pencil in for 26-30 tds and give or take 4500 yards, yeah, I'm pretty happy with that.

• Like 1

I have to, I just drafted him in the 8th! I think he'll finish where he normally does, right around 8th overall in total fantasy points. I think that's good value.

Trust him as a starter? From a health standpoint and being able to play him pretty much every week, yes. From a FF points perspective, sort of. He's consistently inconsistent. If you look at last years' game logs, he threw 13 tds and 13 ints over the first 10 games. Over the last 6, he threw 15 tds and 6 ints. I had him on one team last year and it was a rough start to the season. He's almost always good for yardage, but it's those games that he throws 3 ints and 1 td that really suck.

I will say, however, that I do like him much better at his current ADP. In prior years, he was a 4-6 round guy.

I won the championship game with him last year. He had a clunker of a game against Chicago early on, but he came on strong in the second half of the season. If I recall correctly, Dez Bryant had several mediocre games before he really broke out. The argument can be made that a stronger Dez Bryant aided Romo's numbers. I'm definitely more comfortable with drafting Romo this year than I was last year.

for the price you will pay for him, (7-8 rd), it doesnt matter. i am not trusting anyone in rd 8, the guy i get in rd 13, might be better

A guy like Kaepernick can be a little more consistent because of what he'll do on the ground even if he's having a mediocre passing day. One way to consider this question is to look at your scoring for passing yardage. If it's 1 point/20 yards, that's an advantage to a passing QB like Romo. If it's 1 point/25, Kaep, Wilson, and Griffin become more appealing.

I love Romo this year, though. Great price, big numbers.

For the round that he is going in (8-9) I would trust him as my starting QB. Looking over last years numbers he wasnt bad at all. With the emergence of Dez Bryant and if Miles Austin can stay on the field he will have plenty of weapons to throw to. You can load up at WR and RB before taking him which will have your team a tough team to beat

Romo is a nice option for those who elect to take a QB late this year. I believe he'll finish in the top 10, which is great value in the 8th round.

What's not to trust. The guy performs top 10 or better each year it seems.

Top 3 WR in Dez, Top 5 TE in Witten and and a very good second option at WR in Austin.

The guy produces each year. By comparison I take him in lieu of Stafford, Luck and RGIII who tend to br ranked higher. Not sure why.

What's not to trust. The guy performs top 10 or better each year it seems.

Top 3 WR in Dez, Top 5 TE in Witten and and a very good second option at WR in Austin.

The guy produces each year. By comparison I take him in lieu of Stafford, Luck and RGIII who tend to br ranked higher. Not sure why.

Probably because they will have better seasons.

Trust him as a starter? From a health standpoint and being able to play him pretty much every week, yes. From a FF points perspective, sort of. He's consistently inconsistent. If you look at last years' game logs, he threw 13 tds and 13 ints over the first 10 games. Over the last 6, he threw 15 tds and 6 ints. I had him on one team last year and it was a rough start to the season. He's almost always good for yardage, but it's those games that he throws 3 ints and 1 td that really suck.

I will say, however, that I do like him much better at his current ADP. In prior years, he was a 4-6 round guy.

This is a solid breakdown. Romo's 2nd half was on par with Rodgers #s. I guess his first equally poor.

I love his weapons...my only concern is the new play calling...looks to be more run heavy but they will still sling it around.

If you load your team up with good players early and get Romo in round 8 or 9, you should be good to go.

Dallas running game is terrible, their defense isnt much better. Add that to the fact that he's got elite weapons and i think he will push top 5-7 barring injury.

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

Newton

Ryan

Brady

Romo

Stafford

Kaep and Wilson worry me a bit without their top options available and the division they play in is filled with good defenses. I'd take my chances with Romo...

If you load your team up with good players early and get Romo in round 8 or 9, you should be good to go.

Dallas running game is terrible, their defense isnt much better. Add that to the fact that he's got elite weapons and i think he will push top 5-7 barring injury.

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

Newton

Ryan

Brady

Romo

Stafford

Kaep and Wilson worry me a bit without their top options available and the division they play in is filled with good defenses. I'd take my chances with Romo...

you forgot one.

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

Newton

Ryan

Brady

Romo

Stafford

Andrew Luck isn't even in the discussion!?

I think Romo is the perfect example of people's bias entering into the equation instead of facts. Romo threw for the 9th most yards in NFL history last year.

2012 final stats. 4pt TD's. no negative points for int's. 5 pts for 300 yard passing games.

Brees 456
Brady 397
Romo 374
Stafford 367
Rodgers 350
Manning 348
Ryan 339
Newton 336
Griffin 318
Luck 305
Wilson 284

Do some research and look and see how many 300 yard games some of those other QB's had. And Romo by all accounts should be even better this year as his stats improved with the emergence of Dez towards the end...

If you don't nab Brees early, then Romo is the best value in the late rounds of anyone.

everybody looking at last years #s ... look at years prior...really i would grab him and build my team. he will be top 10 no doubt has been every season except the season he got injured. as far as inconsidatnt i would say out of the season even last year he may have 2-3 games where you want to pull your hair out but I will take the other 13 games he has solid production and sit back and watch my team go into the playoffs.... kapernick really he played half a season ...lets look at those stats

kap - 7 games 1800 yrds. 10 tds 3 ints so thatputs him on pace for what 4100 yrds 22 tds 7 ints 600 yrds rushing 10 tds...not a bad season at all .... you have to guess the rushing #s will drop as teams figure out the system and the way to stop it... so he projects out to what 4700 total yards and 32 tds .... romo - even with his bad season had 4900 yrds passing 28 tds 19 ints and ran a td in and that was the most ints he has thrown since his 1st year as a starter where he still threw 36 tds... ill take a guy who has been top 10 every season except the 1 where he missed most the year over any guy who has started 7 games.... just my 2 cents

If turnovers don't count against you, dismissing Romo makes no sense at all. As an NFL QB, he chokes at the worst times possible, but as a fantasy QB, especially given the number of drafters that are down on him, he's a steal

I don't think he's a steal. He is about where he should be. He's being drafted around the likes of Stafford, Kaepernick, Wilson, RGIII, and Luck.

It all depends on what your draft strategy is and/or how much you like to gamble. Once you get to these QB's, some owners are more likely to go with the high upside guys. Someone less "safe", but with more potential. When you look at stats, you can go back and compare Romo with Eli as well. Eli isn't going to throw for 40 tds and 5,000 yds, but you can expect 25-30 tds, 4,000 yds, and a bunch of int's. But he can be had 2 rounds later (on average). I'm in no way suggesting to wait and take Eli, but once you get past the top 4 QB's, I wouldn't be shocked to see 1 of about 10 QB's end up at #5.

Luck, No... I'd be shocked if Luck was top 10 to be honest.

RGIII is coming off major surgery and his running is what makes him a threat. I dont expect a lot of that the first year back.

If you rely on him he'll have you out of playoff contention by mid-season. He usually only puts up one half season worth of good stats. Usually the latter half. Just wait until the Romo owner sours on him and either trade for him or just wait for him to get cut. QBs have virtually no trade value. I've had two top 3-5 QBs on my roster a few times over the years, and I've never been able to move either of them, even practically giving them away.

Romo is EXACTLY what you want in the risk/reward balance of a fantasy draft.

4900 yds last year?

Public opinion of him low.

Terrific targets to throw to.

I'll take Romo all day in the 7/8 round.

• Like 1

4900 yds last year?

:first:

4900 yds last year?

Well said. Youll get a starter QB who has consistently finished top 10 the past couple of years. With Dez Bryant emerging into a stud WR you can be Romos stats will only go up. Not only that but you will be able to land 3 good RBs and 3 good WRs before you even get your QB. Those are the backbone of your fantasy line up right there. Many championships are won with Romo and I guarantee plenty will be won with him this year too.

I pick 8th in a 12 team standard league, given the huge advantage of owning Brees over everyone else in my league I think he is a bargain in the second round, BUT given the shortage of RB's which ends about my pick there, taking him really hampers having 2 quality RB's. I would rather have someone like Steven Jackson in the 2nd and get Romo later than have Brees and end up taking a chance on the rookie RB's . Or at least that's the way I am leaning.

i agree with all... i will start my draft geting a solid starting lineup ( wrs, RBs ) while the guys taking qbs in the 1st - 3rd rounds end up chasing the rest of their lineups....Romo is a top 10 qb who will end up scoring what maybe 2-5 points a week less then the top 5 guys? while the other parts of your line up make up that difference ..... :doublethumbsup:

So every person on this bored is going to draft Romo as their qb is what it's looking like. I am going to not draft Romo and take someone who I think has top five potential and not just settle for the tenth best guy.

Romo is the guy that wins leagues.

This. You can bank on him finishing around 8, 9, or 10, and that's exactly what you want from your QB. Ride him right to the championship.

Why waste your time trying to draft a guy that you think can finish top 5, when you can get a guy that finishes around #10 year after year.

So every person on this bored is going to draft Romo as their qb is what it's looking like. I am going to not draft Romo and take someone who I think has top five potential and not just settle for the tenth best guy.

The draft is a fluid thing.

I am not specifically targeting Romo - I'm only saying if he's there in the 7th/8th, I would take him if I don't yet have a QB.

Likewise, for Brees or Rodgers, if they are there in the late 2nd/early 3rd, I'll take 'em.

Now, you'll probably say, "there's not way Brees or Rodgers is there in the third" and you're probably right.

But also there's no way a Romo SHOULD be there in the 7th/8th yet he probably will be.

It's all about Risk/Reward and value.

The draft is a fluid thing.

I am not specifically targeting Romo - I'm only saying if he's there in the 7th/8th, I would take him if I don't yet have a QB.

Likewise, for Brees or Rodgers, if they are there in the late 2nd/early 3rd, I'll take 'em.

Now, you'll probably say, "there's not way Brees or Rodgers is there in the third" and you're probably right.

But also there's no way a Romo SHOULD be there in the 7th/8th yet he probably will be.

It's all about Risk/Reward and value.

I agree with this. I do like him at his current ADP, but I also realize that I'm not getting a top 5 QB. It just seems like everyone and their brother has the mentality of "I'm going to target Romo in the 7th/8th and ride him to the ship." No, you're not going to ride him to the championship. You're going to ride the RB's, WR's, and TE (maybe) that you drafted in rounds 1-6, and hope that Romo is consistent enough to get you into the playoffs. Then you need him to be hot in the playoffs. I posted his stats through week 13 earlier in this thread...he was ranked around 13 through week 13 last year. You aren't riding QB13 into the playoffs...you're riding your RB's, WR's, TE if you get in with the 13th best QB starting for you all season.

He's a serviceable QB with some upside...There are quite a few of those, and some with more upside, around his ADP.

I drafted Romo.... that is why I also drafted 2 other Qbs, Vick and Palmer... No confidence in any but worth a gamble. Something has to stick to the wall...