Sign in to follow this  
montana

Wk 3 Preseason Games - Observations

9 touches Rice

7 touches Pierce

6:39 left in first half and Rice is in no so they are in a time share. Its just not even a debate as far as I can see.

I just feel there is a concerted effort to limit his carries. No matter how effective.

Interesting. I kinda feel its more that Pierce brings a more powerful downhill running style to the team and it makes sense to use him and to switch up the looks the D sees.

You should worry about how much Pierce was used after Caldwell took over not the preseason from last year. Its a time share, maybe it's not full blown RBBC but its gonna be way too much for a 1st/2nd rounder to lose

There goes that theory. Rice averaged more carries per game AFTER Caldwell took over.

In the 7 games (counting playoffs and SB) after Caldwell took over the play calling last year, Rice averaged 17.57 carries a game which includes the Cincy game where he only got 3 carries to 22 for Pierce when Rice got hurt. Prior to Caldwell taking over, Rice averaged 16.76. Did Pierce get more carries after Caldwell took over? Yes, but not at the expense of Rice still getting his.

9 touches Rice

7 touches Pierce

6:39 left in first half and Rice is in no so they are in a time share. Its just not even a debate as far as I can see.

Out of those touches who has more yards and a TD? Rice is just too good for them to just say "let's decrease his touches and give them to someone not as effective". Sorry your reasoning doesn't make sense. Not to say that letting pierce get some touches is a bad thing. I just don't see anything like a 60/40 split.

Remember when Rice shared with McGahee and was still damn good?

I don't think Pierce hurts him as bad as the Ravens O might.

Who knows?

Out of those touches who has more yards and a TD? Rice is just too good for them to just say "let's decrease his touches and give them to someone not as effective". Sorry your reasoning doesn't make sense

OK, I just don't want whiney owners on Sunday complaining that Pierce is in there. It should be no surprise. I am not saying Rice isn't better, he is loosing series of football to Pierce.

9 touches Rice

7 touches Pierce

And I think it's appropriately reflected in his ADP. I really don't think a 50/50 timeshare is going to be how it shakes out by seasons end. I've been wrong before, but I'm not nervous drafting Rice at the end of round 1.

There goes that theory. Rice averaged more carries per game AFTER Caldwell took over.

In the 7 games (counting playoffs and SB) after Caldwell took over the play calling last year, Rice averaged 17.57 carries a game which includes the Cincy game where he only got 3 carries to 22 for Pierce when Rice got hurt. Prior to Caldwell taking over, Rice averaged 16.76. Did Pierce get more carries after Caldwell took over? Yes, but not at the expense of Rice still getting his.

No that doesn't kill my theory, read my word for word claim, "how much Pierce was used after Caldwell took over". You yourself proved my theory that Pierce did get more carries after Caldwell took over.

Thanks for backing me up bro :cheers:

i have had rice since a rookie, just traded him for Dez in my ppr keeper, I do believe Pierce will come in in series... but watching that rice drive made me a bit ill.

Flacco looking like normal. Throwing INTs. And I don't believe people will be complaining about rice. It'll all shake out and rice will still hold up as a nice RB1 with pierce coming in for the occasional break for rice. I see more of an 80/20 share and that's being generous for pierce

No that doesn't kill my theory, read my word for word claim, "how much Pierce was used after Caldwell took over". You yourself proved my theory that Pierce did get more carries after Caldwell took over.

Thanks for backing me up bro :cheers:

No loss in value to Rice though, is my point. When Caldwell took over, they started to run more and incorporated Pierce more into the offense, but doing so had no effect on the number of touches Rice was getting. Point being, Pierce didn't steal any touches from Rice despite Pierce being more involved. What did change with the offense is less pass attempts by Flacco after Caldwell took over. Prior to Caldwell, Flacco attempted 39 or more passes in 5 different games. After Caldwell, Flacco attempted 39 or more passes just once.

No love for Thompkins? The Pats look bush league for sure and Amendola is out but 6 for 93 in the first half on 7 targets?

What's the word on Ridley and Vereen? Haven't been able to see any of the patriots game

No loss in value to Rice though, is my point. When Caldwell took over, they started to run more and incorporated Pierce more into the offense, but doing so had no effect on the number of touches Rice was getting. Point being, Pierce didn't steal any touches from Rice despite Pierce being more involved. What did change with the offense is less pass attempts by Flacco after Caldwell took over. Prior to Caldwell, Flacco attempted 39 or more passes in 5 different games. After Caldwell, Flacco attempted 39 or more passes just once.

Well he did steal rushes from Rice. They ran the ball more and when they did it was by average almost entirely by Pierce according to your average per game totals. Rice was underutilized with the pass heavy old offensive coordinator and when they went run heavy they did so with Pierce like almost entirely?

If thats not stealing carries what is?

Actually your analysis has cemented my opinion even more.

Thompkins is looking great, but Amendola's out. Hard to tell what that'll look like in the regular season presuming a healthy Amendola and (eventually) Gronkowski, but he's going to be going in the 7th or 8th round after this.

Ridley and Vereen both look awful. 11 carries combined, 11 yards and a fumble combined. That said, every NE running back looks absolutely terrible tonight--17 carries, 33 yards, 2 fumbles--so who knows what's going on.

Well he did steal rushes from Rice. They ran the ball more and when they did it was by average almost entirely by Pierce according to your average per game totals. Rice was underutilized with the pass heavy old offensive coordinator and when they went run heavy they did so with Pierce like almost entirely?

If thats not stealing carries what is?

Actually your analysis has cemented my opinion even more.

If your point is that the Ravens made a concerted effort to get more carries for Pierce, then there is no denying that. When Caldwell took over, they did run more and Pierce was the primary beneficiary as his carries went from about 6 per game prior to Caldwell, to a little over 11 carries per game after Caldwell. That's what the numbers show so that is not disputable. However, Rice's carries also went up on a per game basis after Caldwell. Where Rice suffered last year with Caldwell taking over, is with Flacco throwing a little less often, Rice's catches per game went from over 4 prior to Caldwell to a little over 2 per game after Caldwell.

If Rice averages 17.57 carries this year, which is what he averaged last year after Caldwell took over, that projects to 281 carries for the year, which would be about 25 more carries than he had last year. If Pierce gets 11 carries a game this year, that's 176 carries over 16 games, which is close to 70 more than he had last year, and that's 457 between them. On a team that probably will want to run the ball 500 times this year due to the playmakers in the passing game that they've lost, I don't think either number is unreasonable. Pierce is going to get some series to himself each game cuz that's what they did last year.

However, I think the lack of playmakers though benefits Rice in the passing game this year, even though his receiving numbers took a dip last year after Caldwell took over, but again, Boldin and Pitta were still there last year too. This year, there's Torrey and Rice.

Marlon Brown 4/59 and a TD tonight... and apparently he's 6'5" 216. Could be the #2 in Baltimore? I know nothing about this dude other than he went to UGA and went undrafted. Anyone got a line on this guy?

These penalties for late hits and blah blah are just getting ridiculous. Can barely even tackle anymore. :cry:

How has cam newton looked. Got him in 2 leagues

Marlon Brown 4/59 and a TD tonight... and apparently he's 6'5" 216. Could be the #2 in Baltimore? I know nothing about this dude other than he went to UGA and went undrafted. Anyone got a line on this guy?

Draft Profile at NFL.com:

Strengths

Tall, strong pass-catcher with potential. Was used inside to create mismatches with his height, but also to take advantage of his surprising foot quickness to get off the line and making cuts. Possesses size, strength and stride to be a vertical threat on the outside, as well. Presents a big target over the middle with his frame and catch radius. Snatches the ball in front of his frame and can adjust for high and wide throws adeptly. Red zone weapon. Comes back for the ball when the quarterback scrambles. Works hard after the catch, uses length to stiff-arm defensive backs trying to make a tackle. Willing run blocker who chases down targets and uses his length and agility to sustain downfield.

Weaknesses

Has had injury and consistency issues throughout his career. Loses concentration on easier throws when trying to make a play before securing the ball. Straight-line speed is a question mark. Must prove he can use his hands to beat NFL defenders in press whether lined up outside or inside, as well as extend his arms to gain separation downfield. Long legs allow him to be tripped up in space and gives defenders a lot of area to tackle in tight quarters.

NFL Comparison David Nelson

Bottom Line

Brown is a physically imposing receiver who had great expectations as Tennessees Mr. Football winner as the states top high school player in 2008. Injuries throughout his career have really derailed his growth as a prospect. Browns size and surprising quickness will surely intrigue teams in the undrafted free agent process if he shows that he's fully recovered from his ACL tear.

How has cam newton looked. Got him in 2 leagues

Looking like its only a matter of time before he RG3's a knee. Carolina line looks suspect too. Cam been under pressure most of the night.

does it look like brady is good for 35 this year ?

Brady looks good at any age, he seems to be reversing his aging as well, dude looks about 27

what a dude

oh you mean TD's, yah right around 32-36 I have him for

edit: if you say f**ker it autochanges to DUDE

That was not good for Brady and Bunch. Thankfully the AFC East sucks but wouldn't surprise me to see Bills and or Dolphins make run at it.

Before there was McGahee, same with Ben Tate to Foster.

I am a die hard Ravens fan, but we are talking about Joe Flacoo here, Ray will get his carry/touch.

Thompkins looked great and has all camp. He is the #2 WR in NE.

Crisp routes, gets separation off the line, Brady trusts him - will go to him on 3rd down. One of the few bright spots for NE last night.

Wilson looks really good. Taking what the D gives him and throws are on the money. Granted, it is against the Packers D, but I really like what I see.

Can't believe the Packers took out Rodgers early in the 2nd Qtr, must be afraid of the Seattle D. So much for getting your starters first team reps for at least the 1st half.

4th and goal, and Finley dropped a perfect pass in the end zone...then he does the Lambeu Leap thinking it's a TD? What a clown, glad I stayed away from him so far, and will continue to do so.

Finley bricked another one right in his hands. I guess some things never change.

4th and goal, and Finley dropped a perfect pass in the end zone...then he does the Lambeu Leap thinking it's a TD? What a clown, glad I stayed away from him so far, and will continue to do so.

Finley is just dumb. I really can't stand him. He'll drop a perfect pass on 3rd and 10 that would have given them a first down. Next series he catches a first down pass and makes it seem like he caught the game winning TD.

DMC already ruled out vs the Bears, in the most important game and this guy can't go. I'd like to think I got a steal in the 5th rd, but probably more like a bust...once again! :(

• Like 1

Wow, no comments on the Bears/Raiders game? I know it's the Raiders, but come geeze, the Bears O looks great. Move Forte up a couple notches, glad I have him in one league, may draft him at #7 in another league coming up.