Sign in to follow this  
robblockamyeir

Where do you take Gronk?

Gronk is one of the best TEs in the league, but his surgery plagued off season has devalued him. At what point of the draft do you think is good value for him? Obviously you would need a backup TE for at least the first 3 weeks, but once Gronk is back on the field, he will produce big time numbers. I think if he falls into the 7th round, I couldn't pass him up. What do you guys think?

when is your 2014 draft?

• Like 1

I'm avoiding. Just like last year there is no guarantee he will stay healthy when he returns and now you've burned an extra draft pick now on a tight end to start the season. He wouldn't last that long but I would only consider him as my 2nd TE drafted 10th round or later.

I'd more consider drafting Sudfeld as he will start the season as the TE and then he may be Gronk's Hernandez even when Gronk comes back.

Latest rumor is he'll be back by Week 3. That's assuming there are no setbacks. If he does come back Week 3 or 4, how many games can you expect him to play before he gets hurts again?? He's too much of risk.

We really have no cleat timeframe for his return. Massive upside, of course, but as the weeks go by he's been sliding for me. First it was 5th round...then 6th...then 7th. I would have a hard time taking him before I had all my starters, except maybe at TE since the idea would be to get someone in the 9th or 10th to cover.

New England can't be trusted with injury info at all, so you could be riding a bunch of questionable designations until he finally plays in week 10.

PUP is the tipping point here.

We don't really know Gronk's status and once NE has declared whether or not he's on the PUP, it will help clear it up some.

Still, taking Gronk and Sudfeld may not be a bad strategy... cuffing them together with late round picks to make (possibly) an elite TE?

And even if Gronk comes back, you will likely see Sudfeld still playing in 2 TE sets.

But, one more thing to consider with Gronk.... can he STAY healthy?

He broke the forearm.

Returned and re-broke it.

Had multiple complications and surgeries.

And now we don't know his status.

I'm no medical expert but how many bionic parts can keep this guy's arm together and for how long?

"We really have no cleat timeframe for his return"

If he doesn't start the season in the PUP then it's a pretty good iindication he'll be available by week 3-4...

We really have no cleat timeframe for his return. Massive upside, of course, but as the weeks go by he's been sliding for me. First it was 5th round...then 6th...then 7th. I would have a hard time taking him before I had all my starters, except maybe at TE since the idea would be to get someone in the 9th or 10th to cover.

New England can't be trusted with injury info at all, so you could be riding a bunch of questionable designations until he finally plays in week 10.

I read the forearm is fine, it's his back that's the issue.

Taking him in the 7th or 8th and then taking Sudfeld or Jordan Cameron or even Rob Housler might work out. Having Gronk for maybe half a season and then another guy with upside for half a season could be a great strategy. Just my thinking though, I'm not sure if it will work out that way come draft day.

I've got a strong team in my deep keeper (TRich, Morris, Ridley, AJ Green, Ryan, would have been Harvin :cry: ) so I can probably weather a little weakness at TE. I'm thinking of grabbing him around 7-8 if he is there and stashing him for playoffs and, more importantly, keeper value for next year.

Redraft I'd probably just pass.

This strategy worked well for me when I snagged Witten in the 7th Rd last yr. Witten is a warrior though.

I just don't trust Gronk. He has roids written all over him. Roids=Injuries

Sorry to offend Gronk fans. Just calling it like I see it.

Hell he will injure himself or someone else dancing/ performing DDT's on his friends in a bar.

Taking him in the 7th or 8th and then taking Sudfeld or Jordan Cameron or even Rob Housler might work out. Having Gronk for maybe half a season and then another guy with upside for half a season could be a great strategy. Just my thinking though, I'm not sure if it will work out that way come draft day.

I don't know if you can count on Cameron and Sudfeld lasting that long. Both are being hyped and have much more upside than people like Rudolph and Myers.

It was just an interesting thought, he was taken in the 7th in a mock I just did. To stash him for the playoffs is a good option but you're right, some other high upside guys might not last as long as you need them, especially if Gronk gets hurt again (very possible) then the strategy blows up in your face.

in my td only league, I am looking at him as a wr/te 3. that puts him about the 6th round. in a te league, I would take him about the 6th also. after tony g, every te is basically the same and gronk provides much upside. take a te with a late bye week and hope gronk is back.

I don't know if you can count on Cameron and Sudfeld lasting that long. Both are being hyped and have much more upside than people like Rudolph and Myers.

True, but then you have a better shot at more proven guys like the ones you listed, which isn't bad since you are looking for a "safe" backup while Gronk is out. :thumbsup:

Those of you who are thinking of getting him in the 7th/8th need to figure out a different strategy as his current ADP is (4.05). I might be tempted if he fell to the late 5th or 6th round - might be worth the gamble. My only thought though is I am high on Finley this year for the first time whose ADP is in the 8th round and climbing. I hope Finley sits out tonite or looks bad!