Sign in to follow this  
cleocrazy

Draft Buddy is super slow when drafting players

I am using a 2012 Macbook Air, and whenever I choose a player to draft the sheet is super slow. In general it is not very snappy, but it is terrible when drafting or undrafting a player.

Any ideas or suggestions on speeding it up?

Thanks!

--

Chris

Hi Chris. Have you got to the point you are ready to draft and you aren't going to need to Update Projections or Compile Cheatsheets again?

If so, save it and make a second copy of the file. In the copy, we'll try a few things. First, if you don't use IDP, delete the following tabs: DL, LB, DB, idp (this may be hidden) and idp-notes (also hidden).

I'd save the file, close Excel, re-open and try it. Does that make any difference?

Mike,

Thanks for the response. Doing what you suggested made the file open quicker, but it doesn't really change the response time of using Ctrl-X or Ctrl-Z to draft/undo players. It's about a a 4 second wait from hitting the shortcut until Excel is responsive again.

I have all other apps closed when testing so that shouldn't be the issue.

Any other suggestions?

I've never had issues like this in the past, and I used this same laptop last year to draft with, and while it was a little slow, it wasn't this bad.

Surprised it would be any different if you used the same computer last year. Nothing has really changed with this feature.

Try changing auto-calc to manual and lets see what that does. Excel > Preferences > Calculation. Switch to manual. Now test that you can still draft multiple players in a row. It may not update the other tabs, like rosters. Then when you need or want to update, hit... darn, don't remember the calculate button on Mac. Try it while I search.

Command "+" to calculate the workbook in Mac Excel.

Tried it but no help.

In fact, after setting calc pref to manual, once I click the draft button or use the shortcut, it resets the preference to auto. The macro must be setting that value when it runs.

It might just be that Excel for Mac is just slow. I am seeing a lot of forum post around the web suggesting I run a VM of Windows for Excel.

I mean no offense at all, but I do think MacAir is a lower power computer, so that could be contributing to it. Of course you used it last year, so what happened between last year and this year? Hard to say other than I'm sure a bunch of Apple updates in that time. I have a MacBook and I kind of dread all the updates, as I'm not convinced they don't just pack more unnecessary crap on the computer as opposed to improving performance.