Sign in to follow this  
saintsthunder

Buy High, Sell Low

So unlike most people i know, my trade targets are players considered expensive if you will and i sell or drop players underperforming. In past years i have 'bought' Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Chris Johnson, Doug Martin, RG3 etc. Accordingly i have also sold low on players like Miles Austin last year, and coincedentally Chris Johnson also. My thought process is i'd much rather get a player that i KNOW is performing and will perform rather than someone who is slumping and will produce later. Part of the reason is my friends are ultra competitive so all the buy low targets aren't available at the presumed 'low' price. Another reason i can always afford to do this is i usually draft well, i ALWAYS load up on skill positions and try to package buy low targets into one good player. for instance, this week i'd be comfy buying peyton manning though it might cost me a fortune by pairing up roddy white (a buy low target for some), shane vereen (since he'll only miss a couple of weeks) and some sweeteners. sure the owner might not bite, but i'm targeting the owner of drew brees, aj green, ap, optimus prime etc with the same deal and i bet one of those guys will want to talk. this might not make sense to most of you guy since i tend to ramble when i type but i love zigging when most zag. sell the players that everyone wants to 'buy low' for a guy who produces day in day out, but only if you have the depth to cover. in this instance since vereen was/is my rb2 i'd be more inclined to target rb's, like reggie bush etc. i'm not saying don't buy low while selling high, i'm just saying there's situations where paying the high price is well worth the players. especially when it seems like you're losing value.

disclaimer: i can't emphasize the 'make sure you have depth part' enough though, also i tend to do these kinds of trades around week 3-4 when i have more of an idea of how the season is going. thoughts?

My thought process is i'd much rather get a player that i KNOW is performing and will perform rather than someone who is slumping and will produce later.

Bold statement there.

touche', injuries aside i'd rather have studs that i know will more likely perform (brees, thomas, green, etc) than stars who might have an average game once in a while (white, decker, etc) even if it means me packaging more of my stars to get them.

buy negative, sell high

david wilson / julius thomas

id go after ty hilton and chris givens

id sell roddy white