Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Off topic with Ben Tate

So if you're in a keeper league you may want to keep an eye on Ben Tate if he is out there on your waiver wire. In 2014 he becomes unrestricted, and the team will have some decisions to make. More likely all will depend on events on the field this season.

1. They can sign Tate long term with big guaranteed money and commit to him as their workhorse back.

2. They can slap him with the 'exclusive' Franchise label. The players is not free to sign with another team and is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 16, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

3. They can assign the 'non-exclusive' Franchise label. Using this tag gives the team a certain amount of security. Other teams are allowed to negotiate to sign the player long term, and the club can either match that offer or receive two first round picks in compensation for its loss.

4. He can be tagged as a 'Transition' player, where the Texans can either match the offer or let Tate go with no compensation. This is a potentially cheaper route, but dangerous as the team gets nothing if he walks.

From The Bleacher Report:

"In 2013 the NFL and NFLPA recently released a memo that detailed the non-exclusive and transition tag numbers for each position. NFL Network's Albert Breer recently got his hands on this memo, via Marc Sessler on NFL.com."

The Running back numbers are:

Non-exclusive- $8,219,000

Transition- $6,970,000

With Arian Foster's 2014 contract at almost $6,000,000 this would be a ton of money for Houston to tie up at running back on a $123 million salary cap. Lastly, no matter where he ends up Tate is not interested in playing second fiddle.

From KFFL:

(KFFL) Houston Texans RB Ben Tate isn't happy being behind RB Arian Foster on the running back depth chart despite outplaying his counterpart in Week 1 versus the San Diego Chargers. "I would be lying to you if I told you that I embraced the complement role to someone else," Tate said. "That's not why I wanted to be in the NFL. That's not my dream to complement someone else. That's not what my attitude or why I work out is to complement someone else."

This looks like a scenario very much like Michael Turner's last season in San Diego.

• Like 1

Curious to see what happens also. It reminds me of the Turner situation when he was in SD. Tate is starter material for most teams. Interesting to see what happens.

I don't think Tate is on the wire in any league, but yeah, he's a guy to target. In dynasty, no one's going to give him up for a reasonable price, but in a league that only keeps 3-4 players you might be able to get him if he continues to fill the backup role for a few weeks.

I don't think Tate is on the wire in any league, but yeah, he's a guy to target. In dynasty, no one's going to give him up for a reasonable price, but in a league that only keeps 3-4 players you might be able to get him if he continues to fill the backup role for a few weeks.

I have him in my dynasty league and I will NOT trade him. He's an instant starter if he goes to another team.

Yep. As an Arian owner in a keeper league this was my first year drafting Tate as well (I don't tend to buy into the handcuff strategy). News over the next couple of days have made me start to think that Tate will be an intriguing keeper going forward depending on where he ends up. The talent's there, and I think he's worked through his fumbling issues that initially gave Foster his chance to shine. A lot of RB hungry teams could put him to good use. Fortunately we don't have to determine our keepers until 2 weeks before the draft. Lots of time to see where he goes.

maybe they'll go the carolina route, sign both for big bucks, and overpay for a glorified FB, having a stacked backfield and not much money for anything else. Recipe for success as you can tell by the carolina example.

I'd love to to see the Jets have a Tate/Ivory backfield next year.

And living in Charlotte it's so frustrating to watch the front office make moves like that, paying huge bucks to 3 RBs (stewart, dwill, tolbert) and having Cam using up part of the goal line carries. That money should easily go to a better S or CB or an OL improvement.