Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Waiver WR Scoop and Play (week 3)

I know you’ve all been waiting for this… ok, probably not, but it is about that time for the 2nd Annual Waiver WR Scoop and Play. (I was going to wait until the bye week, but after hitting on Eddie Royal last week… I’m feelin’ lucky) Just like last year, the purpose of this thread is not to predict 'breakout performances' or to highlight 'studs and duds'. The purpose is to help those suffering from lack of depth/injuries/bye weeks/ or some awful combination of all three. Let’s get to this week’s selections.

DeAndre Hopkins WR HOU@BAL

Andre Johnson suffered a concussion last week. From the reports, it looks like he will play, but the Texans might use a little caution when brining their stud WR back into the mix. Enter Hopkins who had a great game last week, including an acrobatic, game-winning TD in overtime. Talk about giving a QB confidence in your abilities! This week he draws the ravens, who aren’t as bad defensively as people are claiming, but definitely need some time for the secondary to gel. I think the Texans’ run first approach will be able to exploit Rookie safetly Matt Elam with a couple deep play action passes. This could be Hopkins’ breakout game… especially if Andre is only out there in decoy mode. Best of all he’s only owned in 47% of yahoo leagues. A great flex/WR3 option this week if you are hurting.

WR2s against BAL

Wes Welker Den 9rec 67yds 2TDs

Davone Bess Cle 5 rec 38yds 0TDs

Prediction

Hopkins 10rec 130yds 1TD (check AJ’s status) if he plays 7rec 89yds 1TD

Marlon Brown WR BALvsHOU

Yeah, I’m picking two WRs from the same game… so what? Brown was lined up in the slot last week, and the ravens struggled mightily until they got him involved late in the 4th. At that point he got 2 rec for 25 yds and a TD on their go-ahead drive. One would think that the coaching staff would try and get him more involved in the offense this week against the texans, whose pass rush should force Flacco to make quick decisions (hello slot receiver!) As long as Jacoby is out Brown should see a spike in his production. Brown is only owned in 25% of yahoo leagues, so don’t be afraid to scoop and play!

WR2s against HOU

Eddie Royal 3rec 24yds 2TDs

Kendall Wright 7rec 54yds 1TD

Prediction

Brown 7rec 79yds 1TD

Others to watch

Aaron DobsonvsTB –TB D benefitted from poor weather… I don’t expect a repeat performance

Nate Burleson@Wash – Wash D is just terrible Burleson has been surprisingly reliable in PPR formats

Deep League Reach

Robert Woods WR BUF@NYJ

The Jets D gets a lot of credit, and sometimes deservedly so. They have only allowed 116 total rushing yards through the first two games of the season. Looking at the rest of their resume leaves a person underwhelmed, however. They are in the bottom half of the league in sacks/hurries/knockdowns, and near the bottom in pass defenses with only 3 TOTAL. In fact, there are 5 individual players with more pass defenses than the entire NYJ’s team! I don’t think they will get much pressure on EJ Manuel, who recorded his first win last week. I am assuming that Cromartie will cover Johnson. That means Woods will either draw the very average kyle wilson, or the 1st round draft pick Milliner… who might I add missed the entire offseason recovering from shoulder surgery. I don’t think that he’s up to speed yet, and the Bills’ coaching staff will be looking his way. Woods and Manuel also built up some solid chemistry against the Panthers. That 2 pt conversion was a thing of beauty. Best of all, he’s only owned in 7% of yahoo leagues, so don’t be afraid to scoop and play!

WR2s against NYJ

Mike Williams 4 rec 52yds 1TD

Julian Edelman 13 rec. 78yds 0TD

Prediction

R. Woods 6rec 82yds 1TD

Nate Washington TENvsSD

The chargers have a rejuvenated offense that has been putting up some serious points! The Chargers also did a great job stifling the Eagles’ ground game with mccoy totaling only 53 yards rushing this week. Should be a tough matchup right? Well the chargers secondary has given up plenty of huge plays… Last week the Eagles had 5 passing play of 20 yards or more, including a 61-yard reception by Jackson. Sound like a fluke? In week 1 the Texans recorded 3 passing plays of greater than 20 yards… Sounds like a patteRn. Enter Nate Washington, who specializes in the big play. With Britt looking less than 100% and Wright running the short hitch routes, look for the titans to take a few shots deep to Washington. It may also be in their interest to look to Washington in deep crossing routes as the SD secondary has had trouble making routine tackles the last couple of games. Boom/Bust warning… but if you have no other options… roll the dice and reap the rewards… especially in a league with bonus pts for big plays! Best of all, Washington is only owned in 5% of yahoo leagues… so… meh… you know the saying.

Fearless prediction (almost)

Washington 4rec 81yds 1TD

As always feel free to make this an ongoing conversation during the week. Would love to hear your scoop and play candidates.

GL

Nice job rallo, this is the type of thread that keeps me checking this forum after I've drafted. Just have to filter through the 12 year olds to get here. Thanks.

Not to knock Rallo's work here, which is a nice write up, but three guys have been covered in depth in many places, including here. Hopkins, Brown and Washington should all be rostered in most 12 team leagues. In most deeper/larger leagues Woods is already rostered as well.

better than Corky Dodds shite over at tEh foosball gheys!!1!

effort and analysis appreciated!!1!

I AM (quasi) NEW POSTER GUY!!1!

I could see what you mean JG. :thumbup: in a very deep league (14-16) guys like Burleson/Dobson/Woods and even Washington might all be taken. One would hope that they could field a starting squad, but if they can't I suppose we can try a little harder with...

Hard Times Pick

Kyle Williams WR SFvsIND

Apparently this guy led the niners in targets, receptions, AND yards last week. Maybe it was not much to write home about as it was only 4rec for 39 yards on 6 targets, and maybe it was only because Vernon Davis was dinged up... but Williams needed a confidence builder. That was also against a stout Seahawks D that looks to be at the top of the league this year. This week he gets IND who has been shredded weekly in this short season, allowing 4 different receivers to eclipse 70 yards through two games (surrendering nearly 265 passing yards per game in the process)... and this came against oak and mia... not exactly offensive juggernauts. They have to make the trip out west and lose 3 hours from eastern to pacific time. Enter SF who is reeling after the aforementioned shalacking in SEA, and you have a team that needs to prove itself. It appears that Davis' status is still in question for this week, and if he can't go that makes Williams the #2 target again... did I mention he also has punt return duties?

Disclaimer :if you are even considering this guy, you must be in trouble, but you could definitely do a lot worse.

#2 WRs against IND

Hartline 5rec 68 yds 0TD

Streater 5rec 70yds 0TD

Prediction

Williams 5rec 72yds 0-1 rec/ret TD

And best of all, he's only owned in 1% of yahoo leagues, so don't be afraid to scoop and play

I'll nominate Stephen Hill vs the Bills.

definitely a good pick... guy is tall and atheletic... big target for a rookie QB in the redzone :thumbsup:

Injury update...

Andre Johnson was full-go in practice yesterday, so temper expectations for Hopkins a little... I still believe that he will keep progressing in the offense and be a solid play this week.

V. Davis has yet to practice all week.... he claims that he is fine, but keep your eye on this situation... veterans avoid practice and play all the time, but if he doesn't... the kyle Williams hail-mary will be in full-effect

I'll nominate Stephen Hill vs the Bills.

That would have been my addition to the thread. Geno Smith targets Hill a lot.

That would have been my addition to the thread. Geno Smith targets Hill a lot.

Targeting him does not equal him being able to catch the ball...

First off - I agree, great post. Yes this is the reason to weed through this board.

I agree with the comment that these guys might be rostered already, but then again maybe that's the point, maybe they're sitting on the bench. Though "scoop" usually means someone on the WW you can just pick up and start.

I like Hill too but Geno is still struggling a bit, and the Bills have actually been surprisingly pretty good against outside WRs, but I'm thinking Hill starts becoming a red zone target... eventually.

I think a guy you're missing might be Burleson, WR2 DET vs WAS.

The Skins have been gold for opposing WRs. Jones had nada week 1, but vs the Skins he went crazy. Week 1 it was DJax. The Skins are just giving up racks and racks of points for opposing receivers and even RBs. The fact that Bush might be dinged just helps Burleson some more.

how about a RB?

Ellington, he might be a flex play at best, but if Mendy has trouble with the hammy he could present extra value. I'd imagine he is available in most leagues?

Its got to be Nate Burleson VS WASH secondary... play him this week, drop him the pick up Ryan Broyles for next week and the rest of the season.,,, he should be ready by then

Injury update...

V. Davis has yet to practice all week.... he claims that he is fine, but keep your eye on this situation... veterans avoid practice and play all the time, but if he doesn't... the kyle Williams hail-mary will be in full-effect

If Davis doesn't play then TE Vance McDonald could have a decent day. 55 yds. 1td.

:bandana:

like a boss...

meanwhile... huge wiff on kyle Williams... kaep couldn't hit ANYBODY...