Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

Hmm, I know people hated Romo, but to me that guy was fun to watch. Especially when the O-line was crap and hed have to scramble for his life. At least I had a feeling that we could compete and win any game. And that came with the understanding that Romo may crap the bed and choke in the 4th. But as time went on Romo put all that to rest.

I do believe a lot of better ran organizations couldve won a Super Bowl with Romo. Give Dallas Rodgers, Gurley, and Antonio Brown and theyd still find a way to lose.

I will give Romo his due as a great QB, and a couple of those years were exciting.

I said they should have never declared Dak the starter when Romo got healthy. Offense is terrible and uninspiring now.

• Like 1

People hated Romo?

My impression was that most people who viewed him negatively saw him as 1) more than a bit magoo, and 2) prone to throw games away on bad errors, but 3) generally a good QB. Was never gonna get them to the SB, but was pretty good. Why do you say people hated him?

People hated Romo because Cowboys fans do Cowboys fan stuff. I'll put it this way, as a Steelers fan I think Big Ben is good, really good. But a no point in his entire career have I ever thought he was the best QB in the league. When you're comparing him to guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers, he's going to fall short. He's got near-HOF credentials, but again will pale in comparison to the truly great QB's.

Cowboys fans painted Romo to be the second coming of Joe Montana, and did so relentlessly. You couldn't talk to a Cowboys fan without him trying to convince you that he was the best QB in the league, despite tons of evidence to the contrary. Same with Dez..."best receiver in the game" and crap. It's the delusions of the fanbase that taint the image of the players. Romo was a big victim of this. My stance on Romo softened over the years because I saw him for what he was...a very heady, very talented QB on a very flawed team. It wasn't his fault they lost to the Eagles that year in the playoffs, Romo played his ass off. It was his fault his team put up 52 points but the defense gave up 55 to Indy. Had Jerry not run off Bill Parcels it's completely conceivable that this could have a championship team. But Jerry's hubris gives people ammo to hate the Cowboys.

• Like 1

People hated Romo?

My impression was that most people who viewed him negatively saw him as 1) more than a bit magoo, and 2) prone to throw games away on bad errors, but 3) generally a good QB. Was never gonna get them to the SB, but was pretty good. Why do you say people hated him?

because people hated him. his impossible miracle comebacks far outnumbered the few games he lost on bad throws, and he was the only arrow in the quiver. it was that simple--if he didn't miracle up wins, the cowboys lost. he'd put up a 30+ point game, the defense would give it away, and people would still blame him. and he always accepted the blame, never, ever, ever blaming anyone else.

he wasn't a first-ballot HOFer like rodgers or brees, but educated NFL analysts consistently called him one of the best QBs in the league. he kept a garbage team playoff-relevant until his body could no longer take the punishment.

Oh, believe me, I know. I'm living squarely in Los Cowboys central. I love it. Most delusional fanbase EVER. There is no middle ground. Every Cowboy fan I know starts every year with "We are winning the Superbowl this year!" and slowly gets beaten into depression as the season goes on. Most don't even realize the Cowboys are only relevant because of how inept they have become and the dysfunction of their owner.

amen

There's a few of us who've been calling this franchise out - for years and years.

amen

because people hated him. his impossible miracle comebacks far outnumbered the few games he lost on bad throws, and he was the only arrow in the quiver. it was that simple--if he didn't miracle up wins, the cowboys lost. he'd put up a 30+ point game, the defense would give it away, and people would still blame him. and he always accepted the blame, never, ever, ever blaming anyone else.

he wasn't a first-ballot HOFer like rodgers or brees, but educated NFL analysts consistently called him one of the best QBs in the league. he kept a garbage team playoff-relevant until his body could no longer take the punishment.

Bingo - well said.....Also keep in mind people - Montana had Walsh, Brady had Belichick, Brees had Payton...here, Roger had Landry and Troy had Jimmy.

Romo was blessed and saddled with Wade Phillips and Red Garrett.......... Let that sink in for a minute.

I guess my question was more basic--what was your evidence for people hating him? I'm not questioning that you're correct, just wondering. My experience is that Romo was a guy people would roll their eyes about, but not that people hated. So I'm taking it that you met a lot of people who actually felt a lot more strongly than that?

For example--a lot of Chicago people hated Jay Cutler. I mean really thought he was crap and disliked him personally. I never heard a lot of even Cowboy fans saying either about Romo. I'd hear that he wasn't great, that he'd make big mistakes sometimes. But I just never heard the 'hate'. That's all I'm asking about.

I guess my question was more basic--what was your evidence for people hating him? I'm not questioning that you're correct, just wondering. My experience is that Romo was a guy people would roll their eyes about, but not that people hated. So I'm taking it that you met a lot of people who actually felt a lot more strongly than that?

For example--a lot of Chicago people hated Jay Cutler. I mean really thought he was crap and disliked him personally. I never heard a lot of even Cowboy fans saying either about Romo. I'd hear that he wasn't great, that he'd make big mistakes sometimes. But I just never heard the 'hate'. That's all I'm asking about.

I hated him, again, because of Cowboys fans and their adulation and anointing of him of him. When he actually earned some of it I softened my stance on him a bit. I would be willing to bet that not so many people dislike the Cowboys...but many, many can't stand their fans.

Dak is NOT the great savior that Jerry thought he was. Dez is needed but Jerry is not about to admit that.

I guess my question was more basic--what was your evidence for people hating him?

the incredible number of people who openly claimed that they hated him.

Dak is NOT the great savior that Jerry thought he was. Dez is needed but Jerry is not about to admit that.

Dez is not needed... 6'2" WRs who can't separate, can't catch nor run anything more than 2 routes is no more the solution than magic beans.

This offense needs a complete overhaul.. Starting with coaches, offensive creativity - and yes, personnel. And as long as Dak, Red and Linehan are still here - 25 year old Randy Moss wouldn't help much.

I've been begging for Red's head for years.... Please tell me even the Garrett pom pom crowd has finally had enuff too?

4th and 1, in OT - and you kick it away? I thought (I was told) that's we took Zeke with the 4th overall pick exactly for that scenario. I thought (I was told) that's why we invested 4 1st round (and 1 2nd round) picks on offensive lineman exactly for that scenario... In a 9 year career soiled in mediocrity - Red doesn't have the balls to go out and win a game - he played to not lose, why? It's not like he has some stellar legacy to defend - what in the hell did he have to lose?

I'll say it again: Dak, Gawd Bless you, but if you had 5 balls to hit the broadside of a barn - 3 would miss.

• Like 1

Dez is not needed... 6'2" WRs who can't separate, can't catch nor run anything more than 2 routes is no more the solution than magic beans.

This offense needs a complete overhaul.. Starting with coaches, offensive creativity - and yes, personnel. And as long as Dak, Red and Linehan are still here - 25 year old Randy Moss wouldn't help much.

Yeah, thats about it too. A revamp is required. Im not sold on Prescott anymore either. Seems to be regressing like RG3 or some of the other QBs that started great but quickly fell off. Its not just him though. They have NO weapons in the passing game. No one scares any defense. Its all Zeke and thats it. The defense is actually decent but cant carry the team. Dallas has .500 talent and coaching and will therefore finish right around .500.

I've been begging for Red's head for years.... Please tell me even the Garrett pom pom crowd has finally had enuff too?

4th and 1, in OT - and you kick it away? I thought (I was told) that's we took Zeke with the 4th overall pick exactly for that scenario. I thought (I was told) that's why we invested 4 1st round (and 1 2nd round) picks on offensive lineman exactly for that scenario... In a 9 year career soiled in mediocrity - Red doesn't have the balls to go out and win a game - he played to not lose, why? It's not like he has some stellar legacy to defend - what in the hell did he have to lose?

I'll say it again: Dak, Gawd Bless you, but if you had 5 balls to hit the broadside of a barn - 3 would miss.

it isn't just zeke and the OL. QB sneaks on 4th and 1 in 2018: 16 conversions in 17 attempts. having a LB-sized QB who is a seriously talented runner creates a lot more problems for the defense, and garrett still wouldn't make the gamble.

jesse holley said it exactly right on postgame radio: whatever dak might or might not be as an overall QB talent, he cannot coexist with garrett because neither of them can mask the other's deficiencies and risk aversion.

Yeah, thats about it too. A revamp is required. Im not sold on Prescott anymore either. Seems to be regressing like RG3 or some of the other QBs that started great but quickly fell off. Its not just him though. They have NO weapons in the passing game. No one scares any defense. Its all Zeke and thats it. The defense is actually decent but cant carry the team. Dallas has .500 talent and coaching and will therefore finish right around .500.

dak hasn't improved--hasn't progressed. he can make some good plays at times, but after 36 starts, he doesn't appear to be capable of consistently orchestrating the offense without dominant OL and RB play.

• Like 1

People hated Romo?

You ever go to a Cowboys board or a YouTube video of him? You'll get people who praise and love him....but you'll get people the simply claim he was a perennial choker who never got it done and therefore was one of the worst QB's in franchise history.

All this from an undrafted guy. That Romo "A Football Life" was great though. Really showed the kind of guy he was and how it's rare to find someone that played as well as he did for such a weak organization.

it isn't just zeke and the OL. QB sneaks on 4th and 1 in 2018: 16 conversions in 17 attempts. having a LB-sized QB who is a seriously talented runner creates a lot more problems for the defense, and garrett still wouldn't make the gamble.

jesse holley said it exactly right on postgame radio: whatever dak might or might not be as an overall QB talent, he cannot coexist with garrett because neither of them can mask the other's deficiencies and risk aversion.

True - although I simply don't see Dak as a legit #1 starter in the NFL - under any circumstance.

But back to Red - this game was a microcosm of his entire tenure. Poor decision making in critical parts of a game - playing not to lose.. A perennial .500 HC, on the road, knowing Philly and NY had already lost - refusing to take the fight to the other team and refusing to go out and win a game. .. Like seriously, what was it he was afraid of?

If my HC plays scared and chokes in Week 5 of the season, against a 1-3 team - I've no use for him. And damn sure wouldn't trust him in a playoff game. (as we've seen before too)

• Like 1

How bout some positives though:

Vander Esch - wow, this kid is a player. I gave a big thumbs up when he was taken in the 1st - he's proven to be even better than I had hoped. It's early, and he still has a lot to learn - but he looks a lot like Luke Kuechly out there - the kid is all over the place......... and 2nd - Jaylon Smith. I still contend using a 2nd for him was a stupid and bad idea. That being said - he looks really good out there at times. A guy his size, who can run and bring the lumber - impressive as hell.

Did we actually have a couple TEs make catches last night? :shocking:

True - although I simply don't see Dak as a legit #1 starter in the NFL - under any circumstance.

But back to Red - this game was a microcosm of his entire tenure. Poor decision making in critical parts of a game - playing not lose.. A perennial .500 HC, on the road, knowing Philly and NY had already lost - refusing to take the fight to the other team and refusing to go out and win a game. .. Like seriously, what was it he was afraid of?

If my HC plays scares and chokes in Week 5 of the season, against a 1-3 team - I've no use for him. And damn sure wouldn't trust him in a playoff game. (as we've seen before too)

we've argued about JG for a long time, but you were right and i was wrong.

i respected the teambuilding and motivation he brought, but it's obvious now that those are the only arrows in his quiver. he simply doesn't have anything to offer in terms of tactics or strategy. worse, he doesn't recognize those shortcomings, and therefore refuses to address them by bringing in creative schemers and delegating to them. he doesn't have to be a master tactician or strategist--eisenhower wasn't one either. but eisenhower recognized that, and made use of guys like patton and macarthur.

but at the end of the day, it comes down to what you do when the pressure is on. garrett folds.

i'm done with the guy.

• Like 1

How bout some positives though:

Vander Esch - wow, this kid is a player. I gave a big thumbs up when he was taken in the 1st - he's proven to be even better than I had hoped. It's early, and he still has a lot to learn - but he looks a lot like Luke Kuechly out there - the kid is all over the place......... and 2nd - Jaylon Smith. I still contend using a 2nd for him was a stupid and bad idea. That being said - he looks really good out there at times. A guy his size, who can run and bring the lumber - impressive as hell.

Did we actually have a couple TEs make catches last night? :shocking:

yeah, he doesn't make many good-looking plays (few big hits, TOs, etc.), but he's always around the ball, and the guy doesn't miss tackles.

The entire Division losing this week was about the worst thing that could of happened. :doh:

You were right. I'm way done with Garrett. He's a bad coach and needs to go.

the giants are winning the race to a 1st round QB.

:cry:

They'll probably pick up a back up running back. Eli says he still has a many good years in him as Hillary trying to run for President again.

the giants are winning the race to a 1st round QB.

:cry:

Can you believe it? In the midst of a dumpster fire season and coming off the heels of blowing their pick last year - they are gonna get another shot to land the qb they should have taken last year... Damn the luck.

I don't even know what to say anymore... How many times is Jerry going to stand by and watch his HC played scared and coach not to lose? ......The really bad part about Red Garrett, is that he's at his absolute worst when the game is on the line - at the crucial crunch time of a game - that's when he sucks the most.

* Who in the room stood up and said we needed to take Connor Williams in the 2nd Rd.? Dear Gawd he sucks - he doesn't have the strength to block a punter much less a DT.

* Who is in charge of coaching the Offensive line? What is going on with T. Smith and L. Collins?

* Dak - what are you looking at back there? Do you not see the guys running free? Throw them the damn ball.

* Yes the snap call was BS, total BS.. But it is what it is - Red should never of had his team in that position to begin with.

I think, Cowboys fans, things aren't as bleak as you're painting them. You're a kickass WR and a HC (maybe an OC too boot) away from being a competitive team. That defense is MUCH better than it was even a season or two ago. Give Dak a go-to WR and put him in some more creative scenarios (I'd be looking at more RPO stuff) and this team, while not elite, would easily be a playoff team. Being honest, they're not going to beat the Rams, Saints or maybe the Vikes, but falling into that tier behind them is still pretty good.

However, I will say that Demarius Thomas or Amari Cooper aren't going to solve the issues at WR. Thomas is looking like his wash-up isn't far behind Dez's. Cooper could be reclaimed, but it won't happen immediately and I'd rather go with a stud rookie WR next year rather than trade a valuable pick for something that isn't sure-fire by any means or is as damaged/flawed as Cooper is.

Chin up little buckaroos.

Lol.

What a terrible focking trade. Yes, Amari Cooper is going to solve all of our problems....this organization has lost it. Completely lost it.

I think, Cowboys fans, things aren't as bleak as you're painting them. You're a kickass WR and a HC (maybe an OC too boot) away from being a competitive team.

23 years since we've sniffed a NFC Championship game, 1 playoff win in 9 years..... Things are every bit as bleak as they seem.

And as long as Jerry is alive, as long as Red is HC and as long as Dak is our QB - things won't change.

Amari for a 1st...........focking idiots. Apparently the Galloway lesson was not learned. :rolleyes:

Amari for a 1st...........focking idiots. Apparently the Galloway lesson was not learned. :rolleyes:

Were you saying something about the Giants earlier? Ha ha. Clown

Were you saying something about the Giants earlier? Ha ha. Clown

No only are the Giants/Cowboys battling each other for the Division - they are battling each other for dumbest ass front office. :D

No only are the Giants/Cowboys battling each other for the Division - they are battling each other for dumbest ass front office. :D

The Giants have had a bad few years. The Cowboys are in the midst of a bad few decades.