Sign in to follow this  
heffley

Funniest thing you've heard in your Fantasy Coaching?

So, a guy in my league this year posted he needed a WR. So I respond and say I have Steve Smith and TY on my bench willing to trade. Another guy says he will trade Demaryus Thomas to him for Frank Gore. I told the guy that instead of taking his best RB I will trade him TY for Ridley who is on his bench anyway. The guy responds "What else are you going to add? Steven Ridley is a top5 RB." This guy said top 5!!! I laughed so hard. I replied top 5!? I listed stats how he was #14 out of RB and said he was crazy. He replied back "I am not in desperate need of a WR." .... He made a new topic in our league titled "Need a WR" lol safe to say no trade was made. Any body else have a funny story in your league?

Guy needed a QB, so I offerred Vick and Foles. Told him that it was a top 5 combo. (If you combine player points it is)

"Nope, there is no passing in that offense."

The guy responds "What else are you going to add? Steven Ridley is a top5 RB." This guy said top 5!?

I'd probably have to agree with the guy, I'd go...

1. Ridley

2. Vereen

3. Blount

4. Bolden

5. Faulk

• Like 1

I'd probably have to agree with the guy, I'd go...

1. Ridley

2. Vereen

3. Blount

4. Bolden

5. Faulk

Ha! I see what you did there. Even then when Vereen is healthy he become #2 lol

I tried to rip off a guy in my league since he was over a barrell with bye weeks week 9 and he needed a win to stay in the playoff hunt.

I offered him Fred Jackson for Reggie Bush, he countered with McCoy for Bush. I countered with a laugh.

He ended up just starting Bush on his bye, losing, and falling to 3-6. His season is pretty much over, but hey, at least he didn't take the worse end of a trade.

Is this post really needed

Good to see this is like any other message board. You always have trolls. Nice! Sorry I am new, had a funny thing happen to me, and wanted to share and hear others thought a message board would be a place to do that apparently that's what message boards are not for?

Guy in my league today is trying desperately to sell Reily Cooper for a few different RB1/RB2s. He's trying to sell Cooper on being the Eagles new #1 WR.

Funniest thing I have heard...is anyone call this "fantasy coaching".

Haven't you heard? Good coaches win fantasy games

Haven't you heard? Good coaches win fantasy games

Keep telling yourself that.

:first:

Seriously................does anyone get a Gatoraid bath if they win their league's Superbowl?

Fantasy Coaching has NOTHING to do with Football.

When coaching your fantasy football team, what is your philosophy? I prefer a no-huddle spread sort of like Chip Kelly is trying to do in Philly. But I also like to have that big bruising RB who can punch it in after my smaller, quicker RB gets us inside the 5.

Dunno about coaching...more like managing.

Any who

They say you can't win your league drafting the first few rounds but you can definitely loose it.

I'm in 5 leagues total & the 2 teams I'm most proud of are .500 as both shared a lot of players.

League A first 4 picks: TRich (bust), Ridley (ok lately), Marshall (great), Amendola (hurt/bust)

League B first for picks: TRich (bust), Ridley (ok lately), Roddy (hurt), Bush (great)

Both teams are 5-4 & still in the playoff race (both are 1 game back from the last seed). When 3 of your top 4 picks are crap, going slightly above .500 isn't easy. I've worked my butt off compared to my 7-2 & 6-3 teams.

I believe it would likely have to be the torrent of obscenities from the guy sitting a few stools down who, as the only person in the saloon who was still actually watching a game that had become a laugher well before halftime, went completely suicidal when a five-yard delay of game penalty negated a totally meaningless 52-yard FG and brought the punting team onto the field instead.

Last I heard, the "coach" was resting comfortably and was even being allowed short walks around the grounds.

Yep,if that were possible I'd be calling a code red on a couple of my players that need toughened up.

these 2 guys equal the amount of production that bush has given you...i just dont understand why you wont make the trade.

That people still think that there is any skill in fantasy sports...

Puh-lease. There is definitely skill involved. You can't just throw a dart at the board and get the right players. You can't just pick up any chump off the WW and expect to reap benefits. There is a reason why there are some guys in your league(s) who are in the playoffs every year and some guys are always in the toilet bowl.

There is a big component that is luck (injuries, duds, etc.), but to say that there is no skill is a fallacy.

Puh-lease. There is definitely skill involved. You can't just throw a dart at the board and get the right players. You can't just pick up any chump off the WW and expect to reap benefits. There is a reason why there are some guys in your league(s) who are in the playoffs every year and some guys are always in the toilet bowl.

There is a big component that is luck (injuries, duds, etc.), but to say that there is no skill is a fallacy.

Doing research is not skill...

Knowing something about the game is not skill...

So, by your definition - knowledge, timing and understanding better than your opponents is not skill?

So, by your definition - knowledge, timing and understanding better than your opponents is not skill?

It isn't skill... You are in a draft and you are targeting a player and someone takes him before you, so you get stuck with someone that you really didn't want to take but had to because your target was gone...

The player you wanted tears his ACL and is out for the season...

The player you took goes off for 1500 yards and 15 TDs during the season...

Yep, sure can see the skill there...

It isn't skill... You are in a draft and you are targeting a player and someone takes him before you, so you get stuck with someone that you really didn't want to take but had to because your target was gone...

The player you wanted tears his ACL and is out for the season...

The player you took goes off for 1500 yards and 15 TDs during the season...

Yep, sure can see the skill there...

So, you have given examples of luck in Fantasy Football. Good for you. I agree that there is quite a bit of luck with it.

However, the definition of skill (as per Merriam Webster) is: "the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance".

I would suggest that at least some of the following entail skill as defined above:

- picking up a guy off the WW who is making a move on a beaten down RB's position

- drafting a kicker late

- Manipulating your roster to avoid bye week issues

- checking on the strength of schedule for guys as they approach the playoffs to target trades

- buying low and selling high

When coaching your fantasy football team, what is your philosophy? I prefer a no-huddle spread sort of like Chip Kelly is trying to do in Philly. But I also like to have that big bruising RB who can punch it in after my smaller, quicker RB gets us inside the 5.

I've seen some teams go "heavy" carrying 3 TEs. This always makes me laugh.

However, the definition of skill (as per Merriam Webster) is: "the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance".

The definition puts forth "knowledge" as a requirement for anyone claiming skill. Obtaining knowledge is, of course, largely the result of effort over any specific set of skills. The definition also requires this knowledge must be used "effectively and readily in execution or performance." A skilled musician, for instance, isn't one who gets it right more often than not. A skilled musician uses that knowledge obtained by effort to effectively and readily get it right all the time - in the execution or performance.

Based on the definition of "skill" you've cited, it's fair to apply the same standard to your execution or performance as a "skilled" fantasy football strategist. We can all likely agree that getting it right more often than not qualifies you as an accomplished fantasy football strategist. But the orchestra conductor would likely demand a higher standard of execution or performance before "skill" becomes part of the conversation. Because this "all the time" standard isn't possible due to a host of random variables beyond anyone's control, and because your definition of "skill" isn't flexible in its demand for "execution or performance," the argument that this term can in any way be applied to fantasy football is doomed to fail.

Bailiff, call the next case.

Copy and pasting stories about dead babies is not a skill either.

I disagree. Using the mouse and right click is how amateurs do it. Using Ctrl C and Ctrl V takes more skill!

So are you telling us you are more of a speed bottom and less of a power bottom, unless the situation dictates differently?

When Belicheck lost Hernandez, Gronkowski, Amendola, Vereen, Mayo, Talib, etc. to have the highest salary cap dollars on IR, not to mention Brady having his worst half season ever, he should've just given up realizing coaching is just luck. Clearly, his weekly preparations, changes in scheme and strategy tailored to his young inexperienced players and depletion of star players has had no impact on the Patriots being a superbowl contender at this point. He should have just put his roster on a laminated card and played bingo w/ it. You ppl literally mindlessly follow the NFL and have no grasp of player scouting and front office moves.

Do yourself a service and run into a knife, OR, listen to some podcasts from Mr Greg Cosell who watches more game film that most nfl coaches and can show you that football is chess, not checkers, and certainly not bingo. Mouth-breathing sh!t-sippers...