Sign in to follow this  
'Star Wars: Episode VII': Release set for December 18, 2015...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/07/star-wars-episode-vii-release-set-for-december-18-2015-breaking/

Perhaps Darth Vader has found new ways to motivate them

Lucasfilm has announced the new date for the debut of the next Star Wars trilogy, and despite some script rewriting that is currently underway, the movie will not be pushed to later in 2016.

Fans can expect to revisit the galaxy far, far away on Dec. 18, 2015.

That will make it the first Star Wars film to open around the Christmas holiday or Life Day as its known among the Wookiees. The previous films have all premiered in May.

Robert Iger, CEO and Chairman of The Walt Disney Co. (which acquired Lucasfilm last year), noted in a companys earnings call this afternoon that the new debut is also the date Avatar opened in 2009. Naturally, the studio is hoping to follow that lead for a sci-fi winter tentpole. This obviously is one of the most important movies we have in the next few years, Iger said.

In a statement, Alan Horn, the Disney studio chief, responded to rumors that director (and now co-writer) J.J. Abrams was having worries about meeting the 2015 deadline. Were very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture, Horn said.

Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark for Lucasfilm, announced two weeks ago they were taking over primary script-writing duties from Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine.) That development was clearly not an ideal one, and it triggered questions about whether the story would be ready in time.

Sets and costumes are already being designed for the film, which starts shooting at Londons Pinewood Studios in the spring.

In announcing the shift, Disney also changed the dates for another major film on its slate, the Brad Bird-directed George Clooney sci-fi saga Tomorrowland (being co-written and co-produced by EWs own Jeff Jensen.) Tomorrowland was originally set for Dec. 12, 2014, but now moves to May 22, 2015 the previous berth of the new Star Wars film.

Disney :unsure:

Lucas set the bar so low with I-III it's hard to imagine VII being worse than those. :dunno: I want to be excited, but so skeptical

I've given it some thought, and I can say with confidence that I've never sat down and watched an entire Star Wars movie. I mean, they're geared to five year olds, right?

We need JarJar Binks to revive the empire using Ewoks as stormtroopers. If along the way he finds a way to woo Leia away from Han Solo, even better. Luke uses his jedi powers to become a really cool Cloud City bartender.

This movie was written to mock the Bush Administration...or so I've read over the interwebs. The original writer was pushing his liberal agenda (much like they did with Avatar) and had to start over.

This movie was written to mock the Bush Administration...or so I've read over the interwebs. The original writer was pushing his liberal agenda (much like they did with Avatar) and had to start over.

Did they start writing it in 2008?

Did they start writing it in 2008?

Probably. Disney is run by Jews so it will probably be some manifestation of Iran getting nukes.

cast is too damn old to bsae it on dark empire :thumbsdown:

hey congrats on the marriage.

Nice to see Nikki let you back in to post. :cheers:

can you even see your cack when she puts her oven mitt on it?

'Star Wars: Episode VII' casts Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/02/star-wars-episode-vii-casts-lupita-nyongo-and-gwendoline-christie/

This just in from the Star Wars front: Episode VII has cast 12 Years a Slave Oscar-winner Lupita Nyongo and Game of Thrones Gwendoline Christie. From the studio:

Lupita Nyongo joins the recently announced cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. This year, her breakthrough performance in 12 Years a Slave earned her an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Gwendoline Christie, currently starring in the hit television series Game of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth, has also been cast in the production. She can next be seen in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. I could not be more excited about Lupita and Gwendoline joining the cast of Episode VII, says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. Its thrilling to see this extraordinarily talented ensemble taking shape.

Developing