Sign in to follow this  
BuschWack

Calling all 12 Team Leagues.. What is standard playoff format?

Our 12 team league has been in existence since 2005. We started with only 10 teams and grew to 12. As a 10 team league our settings for playoffs were 6 teams with the top 2 teams getting first round byes. We've kept it the same even though the league has grown to 12.

Is a 6 team playoff with the top 2 teams getting a bye week standard for a 12 team league? As Commish I've tried to establish that the 6 team playoff format is standard and bye weeks are a expected reward for the top two teams. This seems legit to me.

A few other owners started to chime in that they might prefer an 8 team playoff with no bye weeks. They feel like it would create a more competitive playoff bracket and that the top two teams should not be afraid to play the bottom two teams.

Coincidentally, I and another owner finished first and second last year and are in the same position now. Some owners are getting restless and calling for more fairness and competition and may want it to go to vote next year.

We currently payout a certain amount just for making the playoffs and it increases with each round.

How would you experts respond?

Don't love it but in our Yahoo 12 Teamer, Only Top 4 make the playoffs while Teams 5-8 will play a loser bracket, "Toilet Bowl" if you will. We do not play or recognize Week 17. Again, this is not the perfect playoff system.

On a side note, I for one am NOT a fan of byes. I like to play as many weeks of the NFL regular season as possible (ex week 17 of course). We as fantasy owners need not rest players, and I think most League owners want as much action as possible. Then again, the reason why people play may differ from one another... Is it merely for the action, the money, or the thrill of victory?

I like having more than 50% of teams make playoffs. So my commish settings or non-commish vote has always been 8 teams in a 12 team league.

Our 12 team league has been in existence since 2005. We started with only 10 teams and grew to 12. As a 10 team league our settings for playoffs were 6 teams with the top 2 teams getting first round byes. We've kept it the same even though the league has grown to 12.

Is a 6 team playoff with the top 2 teams getting a bye week standard for a 12 team league? As Commish I've tried to establish that the 6 team playoff format is standard and bye weeks are a expected reward for the top two teams. This seems legit to me.

A few other owners started to chime in that they might prefer an 8 team playoff with no bye weeks. They feel like it would create a more competitive playoff bracket and that the top two teams should not be afraid to play the bottom two teams.

Coincidentally, I and another owner finished first and second last year and are in the same position now. Some owners are getting restless and calling for more fairness and competition and may want it to go to vote next year.

We currently payout a certain amount just for making the playoffs and it increases with each round.

How would you experts respond?

"More fairness and competition...???" Sounds like some of my liberal friends lol... What's next, trophys for all 12 teams? I can't say what you're doing is perfect, but it is exactly what my 12 Team Auction/Keeper League has been doing since 2004. Two conferences with top dogs each getting byes. Wildcards go in Week 14. You know, My Fantasy League has an option for Home Field Advantage, which we actually toyed with one year.

Additionally, bottom six feeders go into a three week play all Toilet Bowl, with top scoring team from that three weeks getting a small chunk of cheese, usually about as much as their registration fees. Everybody happy.

I like having more than 50% of teams make playoffs. So my commish settings or non-commish vote has always been 8 teams in a 12 team league.

Where is the accomplishment in that?

Ours is 3 divisions of 4. Top team in each division goes to playoffs and best record after that gets wild card spot. You make the playoffs then you have earned it.

• Like 1

Where is the accomplishment in that?

Ours is 3 divisions of 4. Top team in each division goes to playoffs and best record after that gets wild card spot. You make the playoffs then you have earned it.

Yeah, another way to do it. Only problem is what happens if one of those three divisions winners is a dog? Say either your 5th or 6th best team in another division has a better record? if your league plays for big money this scenario would be less than optimal.

If you let 8 of 12 teams in the playoffs without a bye then there is little reward for regular season excellence. I'm in a league like this and last year after having the best regular season record lost to a sub 500 8th place team in week 14 (first of playoffs) because that single week he had great match ups. If you can't manage to be in the top half of the league you don't deserve to be in the playoffs and a first round bye is a small reward for teams that has been successful in the regular season.

If you let 8 of 12 teams in the playoffs without a bye then there is little reward for regular season excellence. I'm in a league like this and last year after having the best regular season record lost to a sub 500 8th place team in week 14 (first of playoffs) because that single week he had great match ups. If you can't manage to be in the top half of the league you don't deserve to be in the playoffs and a first round bye is a small reward for teams that has been successful in the regular season.

:doublethumbsup:

I agree with this. I can't stand leagues where more than half make the playoffs. Every 12 team league I have been in has had a 6 team playoff with 2 BYE's or a 4 team playoff. I prefer the 6 team with BYE's, because you get to reward the top 2 teams a little.

Yes, 6 teams, 2 byes, highest seed always plays the lowest is the standard.

4 teams no byes is the next most common.

Your league has a bunch of babies. You can tell them I said so.

Yes, 6 teams, 2 byes, highest seed always plays the lowest is the standard.

4 teams no byes is the next most common.

Your league has a bunch of babies. You can tell them I said so.

I will pass this along and thank you.

"More fairness and competition...???" Sounds like some of my liberal friends lol... What's next, trophys for all 12 teams? I can't say what you're doing is perfect, but it is exactly what my 12 Team Auction/Keeper League has been doing since 2004. Two conferences with top dogs each getting byes. Wildcards go in Week 14. You know, My Fantasy League has an option for Home Field Advantage, which we actually toyed with one year.

Additionally, bottom six feeders go into a three week play all Toilet Bowl, with top scoring team from that three weeks getting a small chunk of cheese, usually about as much as their registration fees. Everybody happy.

I like the idea of a little cheese for the toilet bowl winner.

I am in 2 $ leagues, both are 10 teamers (which I hope go to 12). In one league I am at the bottom, due to highest points against and bad luck, has only 4 playoff spots. I have been out of the running for about 2-3 weeks. No toilet bowl and no incentive to really do anything. That kinda sucks.

The other league has 6 playoff teams and so far everyone still has a chance. That makes it a lot of fun and some good banter back and forth. Plus the toilet bowl winner gets his/her choice of where to draft the following year. This makes all the games valuable, the only games that wouldn't have a reward are weeks 15 & 16 for the first round losers. So that keeps everyone interest all year.

Yeah, another way to do it. Only problem is what happens if one of those three divisions winners is a dog? Say either your 5th or 6th best team in another division has a better record? if your league plays for big money this scenario would be less than optimal.

Well, that happens in real football as well. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. At the end of the day, if I don't beat the players in my division then I have no one to blame but myself (especially since I play them all twice). But I can understand those who look at it differently.

Lets take your example a step further. What if you scored 2nd and 3rd in points each week in kept facing the 1st ranked scorer. At the end of the year you have highest points, but have a really bad record. That is certainly possible. Point leagues would argue the best team isn't winning. But I find match ups much more interesting.

I am in 2 $ leagues, both are 10 teamers (which I hope go to 12). In one league I am at the bottom, due to highest points against and bad luck, has only 4 playoff spots. I have been out of the running for about 2-3 weeks. No toilet bowl and no incentive to really do anything. That kinda sucks.

The other league has 6 playoff teams and so far everyone still has a chance. That makes it a lot of fun and some good banter back and forth. Plus the toilet bowl winner gets his/her choice of where to draft the following year. This makes all the games valuable, the only games that wouldn't have a reward are weeks 15 & 16 for the first round losers. So that keeps everyone interest all year.

Plenty of ways to make the 1st more exciting. Just add the toilet bowl and weekly prize for highest scorer. Anyways, I think you should earn a playoff spot. In the 14 teamer I play in 6 teams make the playoffs. Anything more then 50% is too much IMO.

Well, that happens in real football as well. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. At the end of the day, if I don't beat the players in my division then I have no one to blame but myself (especially since I play them all twice). But I can understand those who look at it differently.

Lets take your example a step further. What if you scored 2nd and 3rd in points each week in kept facing the 1st ranked scorer. At the end of the year you have highest points, but have a really bad record. That is certainly possible. Point leagues would argue the best team isn't winning. But I find match ups much more interesting.

Point well taken on both accounts.

4 divisions of three teams each. Top team in each div make playoffs. Next two best records get wild card spots. #1 and #2 seed get BYES. 6 teams make the playoffs total

We also do homefield for the playoffs. Home teams(higher seeds) get +2.5 pts for being at home. So, the visitor has to win by 3 or more. For ties, the home team wins due to the .5 point thingie. At least its something for having a better record. Our scoring system isnt all crazy like most of them now so that +2.5 CAN come in handy....

Works well for us.

top 6 get in, bye weeks for #1 and #2 seed, our playoffs are wk.15-17 so we play every game unless you manage a bye... seeding is W-L record first, then points if you're tied by record

bottom six play the same format for as a consolation bracket, so all teams are in play every week basically, and we run the entire season, so no wk17 off anywhere

pretty sure our format is not that standard, and playing your big game on the last week is a real wildcard since some teams mail it in and some play like division champs despite their 4-11 record, keeps you on your toes.

I have 3 12 team leagues. One division, as you play an imbalanced schedule anyway and I don't like to reward weak divisions. 6 playoff spots, top two records get byes, next two records are 3 & 4, and final 2 seeds are highest remaining point totals. The point total wild cards keep a lot more teams in the hunt as even with a crappy record (sometimes due to bad luck with opponents) you could still get in. Playoffs are weeks 14-16.

Toilet bowl with winner getting half their buy in back.

I have 3 12 team leagues. One division, as you play an imbalanced schedule anyway and I don't like to reward weak divisions. 6 playoff spots, top two records get byes, next two records are 3 & 4, and final 2 seeds are highest remaining point totals. The point total wild cards keep a lot more teams in the hunt as even with a crappy record (sometimes due to bad luck with opponents) you could still get in. Playoffs are weeks 14-16.

Toilet bowl with winner getting half their buy in back.

I really like this set up. How do you determine who plays eachother twice? Random draw? We also have 1 super conference (no divisions) and I customize the schedule by consideration of where you draft. Teams drafting 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 all play eachother twice, as if they were in divisions, but they are not.

I'm in a 12 team league with 2 divisions and 6 teams make the playoffs with the division champs getting the byes. Unfortunately this might hurt me as I'm on track to be 2nd overall but 2nd in my division, so no bye for me. I'm also in a couple of 10 team leagues where 8 teams make the playoffs, which I think is too much.

I really like this set up. How do you determine who plays eachother twice? Random draw? We also have 1 super conference (no divisions) and I customize the schedule by consideration of where you draft. Teams drafting 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 all play eachother twice, as if they were in divisions, but they are not.

We choose the teams you play twice randomly. Your way is intruiging too!

If there's cash on the line and someone 1-5 they're pretty much done and won't see a playoff. If you did an 8 out of 12 it might keep that guy motivated. If he picks up Foles and makes a rib that's fine. The problem with 4 playoff teams is there's at least one team done in September. Ive seen twice in 2 leagues so that's my only basis.

14 team 6 made playoffs. Down to 12 a few years ago. 3 division winners + WC in weeks 15 and 16. Losers of week 15 play for 3rd place which is league fee back. Never had an issue with a division winner with a worse record than some one who would have made playoffs.

If there's cash on the line and someone 1-5 they're pretty much done and won't see a playoff. If you did an 8 out of 12 it might keep that guy motivated. If he picks up Foles and makes a rib that's fine. The problem with 4 playoff teams is there's at least one team done in September. Ive seen twice in 2 leagues so that's my only basis.

We also pay out for weekly high score through the regular season so that keeps guys a little motivated until they miss playoffs.

Yeah anything to keep people in. I suggested late season individual matchup bets. $5 $10 whatever. If you're out of the playoffs a little money to stick it to the guy trying to make playoffs is fine.

12 team league 3 divisions of 4. Top 2 teams in each division make the playoffs the final wildcard spot goes to the best of the 3rd place teams. Tie breakers are best overall record then division record finally overall points. 7 teams make the playoffs. #1 overall team gets the bye. 2 plays 7 , 3 plays 6 , 4 plays 5. After round 1 the top team plays the lowest seed.

Not saying this is the best way just another option

Good luck fellas ! I hope all of you are preparing for the playoffs !

12 team league 3 divisions of 4. Top 2 teams in each division make the playoffs the final wildcard spot goes to the best of the 3rd place teams. Tie breakers are best overall record then division record finally overall points. 7 teams make the playoffs. #1 overall team gets the bye. 2 plays 7 , 3 plays 6 , 4 plays 5. After round 1 the top team plays the lowest seed.

Not saying this is the best way just another option

Good luck fellas ! I hope all of you are preparing for the playoffs !

Thanks. Very interesting playoff method. 1 team out of 7 gets a bye.

12 teams

3 divisions

Playoffs are each division winner and wild card is next best record, if tied total points

Weeks 15 and 16 playoffs and Super Bowl

3 divisions 4 teams each, play divisional teams twice, everyone else once.

Division winners plus 1 wildcard make the championship bracket, and there are two 4 team consolation brackets playing for the 1st and 2nd picks.

• Like 1

Division winners plus 1 wildcard make the championship bracket, and there are two 4 team consolation brackets playing for the 1st and 2nd picks.

I like the consolation bracket idea, posting to commish now

I feel it is personal preference.

I prefer that 6 teams make it with the top 2 getting a bye, however I have always thought that a 7 team playoff with the #1 seed getting a bye would also be cool (although I've never seen that option presented in any league I've played in)

I have also played in a 12 teamer where 8 make the playoffs.

that's not bad, but also, not ideal. it doesnt happen often, but if the #7 or #8 team were to sneak into the playoffs and then get hot at the right time and win the championship, there would be some upset people.

the good thing about having less playoff teams, is that contending teams are more likely to try to make that deal that puts them over the top.

the god thing about having more playoff teams is that people dont get eliminated from the playoffs quite as early.

each has its merits.

I want to create a league that has a weighted championship, half of which is overall points, half of which is winner of the tournament.

Me too... But no consolation

Best playoff method IMO

My main league if 6 teams out of 12, top 2 byes but one of the division winners has to play in wild card round as its three divisions. I have mixed it up each year. Last year I had four divisions with three teams each. The year before, I did a ten teamer with two divisions of 5. That year, only four made playoffs. Tbh, I preferred ten teams over twelve but it makes things a little more tougher with 12 teams. And this year it shows............

top seed atm is 8-3(clinched playoff spot too pretty much)(division 1)

2nd seed is 6-5(clinches with 1 more win)(division 2)

3rd seed is 6-5(my division, clinches with 1 more win)

4th seed is 8-3(2nd in division 1)

5th seed is 7-4(3rd in division 1)

6th seed is 6-5(my division, 2nd)

I am currently outside of the top six with 1 other person with the same amount of losses(six) and I have h2h over him. Both the higher two still have to play me and if I beat them both I have the better division record. i also own h2h over the 7 loss runner up in division 2 and points by a wide margin over the 3rd place 7 loss. The last place guy in my division has a good team but has been unlucky because of RG3 and McCoy's inconsistencies. He's now got Rainey to go with them and owns KC's defense and Fitzgerald. He is capable of helping me out by beating both of them in case I lose again. But as you see two people have run away one got in the right division and everyone else is fighting for their lives. 7-4 guy could end up missing if he loses the last two both against tough players.

I want to create a league that has a weighted championship, half of which is overall points, half of which is winner of the tournament.

Fascinating concept. You could probably associate an algorithm for alloting a points curve based on which half was more important. If ever you, or someone else does this...please share how it goes/went.

4 teams go to the play offs. Winning a 3 game stretch just takes little hot streak so the playoffs are really just luck. No reason more than half of the teams should get a chance to enter what is essentially a lottery. If you're league is competitive, many teams should still have a shot up until the last 2-3 weeks.