Sign in to follow this  
LSUtiger

Gates or Ladarius Green ROS?

For those who have watched SD in depth the last few weeks, if you had to choose Gates or Green for the rest of this season, with whom would you roll? Gates' high floor but low ceiling or Green's low floor but high ceiling?

Can Green be a fantasy playoff Messiah at TE even with Gates still starting?

He's coming on strong and looks like a young Gates with even more giddeup. I think he's a matchup play and worth keeping an eye on but I don't think he's caught the fantasy eye yet. Not getting enough touches.

He had 3 catches yesterday. Should have been 4 but a bogus penalty was called. I think I might add him and shoot for the stars hoping he gets big games at tight end for me. I'll take a boom or bust guy as that's what most of the TEs these days seems to be.

fwiw dude is 6'6 240 and runs a 4.4, hes considered the fastest guy on the Chargers. They have found something, I think he starts taking alot of time away from Brown.

He hasnt lined up on the line at all this season, used mostly as a slot/crossing route guy, and with his speed we all saw what he can do in the open field.

I am adding him and considering starting over Cameron from here on out

For those who have watched SD in depth the last few weeks, if you had to choose Gates or Green for the rest of this season, with whom would you roll? Gates' high floor but low ceiling or Green's low floor but high ceiling?

Can Green be a fantasy playoff Messiah at TE even with Gates still starting?

will green is no jesus . so no

fwiw dude is 6'6 240 and runs a 4.4, hes considered the fastest guy on the Chargers. They have found something, I think he starts taking alot of time away from Brown.

He hasnt lined up on the line at all this season, used mostly as a slot/crossing route guy, and with his speed we all saw what he can do in the open field.

I'm in the same spot. Thinking the same thing.

• Like 1

Saw your thread from August on this kid. If you are a Bolt's fan, how do you see Gate's contract situation playing out starting next season? Big cap hit, but NFL is a young man's game and this kid has big tools.

Saw your thread from August on this kid. If you are a Bolt's fan, how do you see Gate's contract situation playing out starting next season? Big cap hit, but NFL is a young man's game and this kid has big tools.

I dont know, it would be good as a Charger fan to see what he could do with Gates on the sidelines. Seems to me, Gates is still getting doubled a ton and leaving a lot of space for Green and Allen on crossing routes. I assume the coaches notice that as well, but the 60 yard TD, Gates and Green were lined up next to each other and 2 defenders followed Gates.

Gates may be on the decline, but he still is 2nd in the league in catches and yards for TE's this year

fwiw Green played 20 Snaps out of 69 offensive plays that was week 11

week 12- 30 snaps, 41.6 % of the plays

Those numbers are encouraging but the question remains whether Gates or Green is the guy to own in that offense for the rest of this season. I love Green's long-term potential but is he a better weekly play going forward than Gates?

Those numbers are encouraging but the question remains whether Gates or Green is the guy to own in that offense for the rest of this season. I love Green's long-term potential but is he a better weekly play going forward than Gates?

Gates imo, Rivers safety valve in the endzone, Green would have to break a long one every game to score

Only thing that scares me from Greens prospects is there's too many targets on that team. Worth a gamble especially if gates goes down.

Only thing that scares me from Greens prospects is there's too many targets on that team. Worth a gamble especially if gates goes down.

If Gates goes down end-of-year injury I'd probably drop either Wright or Reed to pick him up. I like his QB and offense better than either of the other guys.

What pisses me off about Gates is that Gates doesn't even look good and he's still getting doubled!

He needs to get the ball more!

What pisses me off about Gates is that Gates doesn't even look good and he's still getting doubled!

He needs to get the ball more!

That appears to be the quandary - starting an over the hill Gates who is getting double teamed or starting Green who gets less than half as many snaps as Gates but looks primed to breakout.

Using 4for4's snap app, here's the % of snaps for their relevant pass catchers the past 4 weeks (W9-W12)

K. Allen: 98%, 97%, 75% (got hurt), 99%

A. Gates: 97%, 88%, 98%, 93%

V. Brown: 98%, 74%, 71%, 67%

E. Royal: 86%, 78%, 80%, 60%

L. Green: 6%, 30%, 31%, 41%

To me, it looks like Green is slowly taking over snaps from Brown and Royal and not affecting Gates at all. Given his production and increasing snap trend, I think he could be a nice upside pick for the rest of the season. I've picked him up in most of my leagues and plan on playing him over Carlson and possibly Reed this week. He may actually help Gates a bit if he forces the defense to pay him some extra attention since Brown and Royal don't really demand any special treatment.

Edit: A few more interesting tidbits. Over the past 3 weeks, Green is averaging 0.35 pt/snap in standard and 0.46 pt/snap in PPR. For comparison, Gates, Allen, Royal, and Brown are respectively averaging 0.10, 0.11, 0.09, and 0.04 pt/snap in standard and 0.16, 0.20, 0.15, and 0.07 pt/snap in PPR. It's obviously a small sample size and inflated by the long TD last week, but the guy has game-breaking ability.

• Like 3

Using 4for4's snap app, here's the % of snaps for their relevant pass catchers the past 4 weeks (W9-W12)

To me, it looks like Green is slowly taking over snaps from Brown and Royal and not affecting Gates at all. Given his production and increasing snap trend, I think he could be a nice upside pick for the rest of the season. I've picked him up in most of my leagues and plan on playing him over Carlson and possibly Reed this week. He may actually help Gates a bit if he forces the defense to pay him some extra attention since Brown and Royal don't really demand any special treatment.

Edit: A few more interesting tidbits. Over the past 3 weeks, Green is averaging 0.35 pt/snap in standard and 0.46 pt/snap in PPR. For comparison, Gates, Allen, Royal, and Brown are respectively averaging 0.10, 0.11, 0.09, and 0.04 pt/snap in standard and 0.16, 0.20, 0.15, and 0.07 pt/snap in PPR. It's obviously a small sample size and inflated by the long TD last week, but the guy has game-breaking ability.

Good stuff mate. Thanks.

That appears to be the quandary - starting an over the hill Gates who is getting double teamed or starting Green who gets less than half as many snaps as Gates but looks primed to breakout.

Watching that final Bolts drive, and with respect to Woodhead,

Gates was the dominant Charger on the field. Double and triple teamed, drawing penalties and dragging the defensive coverage with him wherever he went.

Watching that final Bolts drive, and with respect to Woodhead,

Gates was the dominant Charger on the field. Double and triple teamed, drawing penalties and dragging the defensive coverage with him wherever he went.

in turn it creates mismatches for the rest of the team. I am going back and forth on this one

Cameron owner here grasping at ANYTHING to shore up my lone weak spot in my money league.

I roll the dice every week now with Cameron anyway...............why not roll them with a guy getting looked at?

I'm all in............using my WW priority on him this week.

All year long I have been churning TE's. I currently have Tim Wright, Ladarius Green, Dennis Pitta and Owen Daniels. I can start up to 3 TEs, btw.

Green would be amazing if Gates was to get crushed by a piano. Just saying.

• Like 1

Antonio Gates (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

It's a new injury for Gates, but coach Mike McCoy said Gates missed practice more for rest purposes. He shouldn't be in any danger of missing this week's game against the Bengals. If for some reason Gates were to sit, Ladarius Green would be an intriguing fantasy play as a borderline TE1/2.

What's the app called, couldn't find it in the itune store. Good stuff!

What's the app called, couldn't find it in the itune store. Good stuff!

It's from the 4for4.com website. Requires a subscription, but if you sign up for a daily league (I believe it was $25 deposit) through their website, you get a year free. A lot of good content.

Gates' hammy is worse than reported; per rotoworld he says that he isn't sure he would have been able to play if the game was Friday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/611/antonio-gates

Yeah, Sunday gives him an extra 48 hours, but hammy injuries are tricky, creating psychological trepidation as well as physical impediments to performance. The risk of re-injury or aggravation is just so high. I don't see Gates doing too much this week.

Accordingly, this is the dawning of the Age of Ladarius. Fasten your seatbelts and hold on to your cacks, because it could be a monster performance in front of the home crowd.

Dying to plug him in over Olsen but can't make myself do it. Made need some serious morning liquid courage on Sunday to make it happen.

• Like 1

Accordingly, this is the dawning of the Age of Ladarius. Fasten your seatbelts and hold on to your cacks, because it could be a monster performance in front of the home crowd.

:first:

That's focking brilliant and makes me want to just throw his azz in instead of Cameron. :lol:

I've got him in one league and am considering him in another, but my concern is that he faces the Bengals who give up the 3rd fewest TE points. Rolling with Clay in that league (vs. Jets who suck vs. TE) and Cameron in the others vs. Jax.

• Like 1

Cameron in the others vs. Jax.

IMO that's the safest bet.

Cameron did have 10 targets last week so he's getting looks with Weeden. That Weeden blows mule is the only downside to Cameron currently.

:first:

That's focking brilliant and makes me want to just throw his azz in instead of Cameron. :lol:

I just put him in for Olsen. F it. Let us usher in the Age with a stupid, drunken, ill-advised last-minute decision.

I just put him in for Olsen. F it. Let us usher in the Age with a stupid, drunken, ill-advised last-minute decision.

I'm tempted but I have to win this week in my money league to keep hope alive for a regular season champ win ($200).

Gotta stick with Cameron (who had 10 targets last week) versus Jax.

Cameron did have 10 targets last week so he's getting looks with Weeden. That Weeden blows mule is the only downside to Cameron currently.

Those 10 targets could be a little deceiving. That was a lopsided game in the 4th quarter, so I wonder how many of those targets came in garbage time. That's been a disturbing pattern with Cameron since his big games early in the season- that so much of his productivity is dependent on garbage time.

I picked him up in one league, and he's still out there in the other league. I'm out of WW$ so I really want to snag him right now before someone buys him during WW bidding next week, I'd have to drop Tate for him though (my other RB's are moreno stacy and CJ1k)

I already have Reed and Fleener, I just don't want my playoff opponent to have him. Do you guys think Taint is droppable at this point? I picked up Flynn last week on a whim, but can't drop him because he already played or I would. My WR's are Nelson, Decker and Boldin, can't see dropping any of them for Green. Same with RGIII and Foles.

Edit: Don't mean to hijack the thread, I'll repost this in A Little Help!

I started Green today over Delanie Walker. Should work out either way as Walker got concussed early. C'mon Green get dat money!

IMO that's the safest bet.

I know this is a Green thread, but at the last minute I pulled Cameron for Fleener and Olsen in two leagues. Cameron has just been useless the past month.

I did however add Green as a flex in one league, over Gates and his hammy.