Sign in to follow this  
Brian Boitano announces he is gay...

Color me shocked...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/brian-boitano-announces-gay-182349390--oly.html

The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi were already shaping up to be an event at which sexual orientation played a significant role, in large part because of Russia's stringent anti-gay propaganda law. The United States upped the ante this week by naming two gay athletes to its delegation attending the Games. And now, another member of that delegation, Olympic figured skating legend Brian Boitano, has come out in a move that is clearly designed to endorse a more open form of communication and tolerance than exists in Russia.

Boitano, who won gold in men's figure skating in 1988, has been in the public eye for decades, yet has consistently declined to address the issue of his sexuality despite longtime speculation. The fact that he is coming out at this point, then, is certainly an inextricable part of the overall narrative.

Boitano's statement, in full:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.

Clearly, the tolerance issue as regards to sexual orientation will continue to play a significant role at the 2014 Games. Boitano is the third openly gay member of the United States delegation to the Games, along with tennis legend Billie Jean King and ice hockey player Caitlin Cahow.

There will be a day when an Olympian's sexual orientation is as irrelevant to his or her story as hair color. That day isn't today, but days like this will make that time draw nearer.

In response, Putin has asked Phil Robertson to be the Grand Marshal of the winter games. :banana:

What would Brian Boitano do, if he were here right now?
I'm sure he'd d*ck an ass or two, that's what Brian Boitano'd do.

Man arrested for anal raping an unknown man on the check out line at Walmart. Police report he was wearing a WWBBD bracelet.

Right now "What would Brian Boitano Doo" song from South Park is dancing through my head.

:banana:

This is about as shocking as Drobeski announcing that he doesn't own any scarves.

i really enjoy watching weir skate and admire him a great deal for his openness.

i think boitano coming out now is ridiculous and pointless.

he should've come out when rudy galindo skated as a openly gay man.

What would Brian Boitano do, if he were here right now?

I'm sure he'd d*ck an ass or two, that's what Brian Boitano'd do.

Shut your fvcking face uncle fvcker

Spelled correctly, fvcking was censored. Fvcker was changed to dude, even though it said fvcker on my screen even while editing.

I honestly, seriously thought he'd already done that like years ago.

Maybe it was that lisping tard that whacked his head on the diving bored instead?

I would have been far more shocked if the came out as straight.

Aren't all male figure skaters ghey????

Shut your fvcking face uncle fvcker

Hot damn. I was howling with laughter the first time I saw that scene.

The movie still holds up for me as one of my favorite comedies ever. Figures that this raunchy comedy musical was a precursor to Book of Mormon as the Parker/Stone combo was going to keep pushing the genre forward.

This is news like Geezibel admitting he is GFIAFP

This is about as shocking as Drobeski announcing that he doesn't own any scarves.

This is about as shocking as you announcing that you do :wave:

Should we take a page from the gheys and boycott the Olympics now?

Why are you boycotting the Olympics ?

Why are you boycotting the Olympics ?

Don't know.

I just feel like I should be outraged over nothing just like the gheys. It is my Constitutional right, dangblamit!