Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Observations from shopping for my wife...

So in grand tradition, I went to the mall today to do my Christmas shopping for my wife.

She has wanted a bottle of Bond No. 9 perfume for like five years. The only place within 200 miles that sells it is the ritzy mall in Nashville. A smart man would have ordered it online weeks ago, but well, that's just not how I roll.

So some observations.

1. For those of you who don't know (count yourselves fortunate), Bond No. 9 is a brand of perfume. There are like 50 varieties, each of which is named after a street in NYC. I got her a bottle of the Wall Street when we started dating about seven years ago. She has wanted the Bleeker Street for years.

I knew from prior experience that I was about to get a colonoscopy on the price. I think seven years ago, I paid $150 for a 2.5 oz bottle. So I get to the counter today...

the small bottle... $230 dollars. The big bottle (twice as much)... $279 dollars. With tax, I paid $305 for a bottle of perfume.

I was not happy.

2. So then she wanted a bag to carry to work. It needed to hold a laptop, have room for books, papers, her lunch, etc. And she wanted leather.

So while I was in Nordstrom, I went to the bag department. Yeah focking right. They wanted like $500 for a sh!tty cloth bag with Marc Jacobs written on it.

So I went into the mall proper.

I knew better than to even glance at the Coach store. I ended up in the Michael Kors (sp?) store. You know you are about to get broomhandled when they offer you a beer in a store.

I ended up buying one for $300.

3. I got a new TV this year. It was cheaper than either the perfume or the bag.

4. Anyway, Being a straight male, I try to avoid all malls. And I almost never go to the ritzy mall, which is 40 miles from the house. This mall has a valet, which is nice.

But I noticed (not for the first time) that the caliber of women is MUCH higher at the ritzy mall than at the normal one. I mean both in terms of number of hot chicks, and the ceiling of hottness. You just don't see that kind of tail at the normal mall.

And amusingly, all of them were dressed identically. If you were with a woman with blond hair, about 100lbs, jeans and knee high boots, good luch finding her. It was needle in a haystack.

Anyway, Christmas is done, fock the holidays, fa la la la focking la.

I better get a BJ out of this.

• Like 1

Who cares? Not me!

Aren't you the one prattling about not clicking on threads you don't want to read...

run along now mongoloid. I was talking to the grownups, which means I probably should have posted this at the closet instead.

That's sweet TBBOM... I take it things are going better lately?

Wow, that's crazy. Do you have that kind of cash to spend on such stuff? From me, Santa, and three kids we got about 7 things for my wife totaling maybe $250. Plus another $100 on stocking stuffers.

titans, reading your post made me so happy!! your wife is a lucky woman!! :wub:

more men need to be like you!! (sans looking at the hot women :angry: )

Wow, that's crazy. Do you have that kind of cash to spend on such stuff? From me, Santa, and three kids we got about 7 things for my wife totaling maybe $250. Plus another $100 on stocking stuffers.

Well, we have no kids to buy for, she has no family at all. I don't buy for my parents, as they are rich and its kind of silly to buy them trinkets that, if they wanted them, they would have bought already.

My brother, sister and I decided a long time ago to not buy for each other.

I usually buy a toy for my niece and nephew, thats cheap though. Other than that, we just have each other to buy for.

I've always looked at Christmas as an occasion to give someone one or two big splurgy things that they would never indulge themselves with, rather than a bunch of stuff like clothes that they would buy themselves anyway.

My gift (the tv) is something we've been meaning to buy for a long time. We were rocking a 26 inch tube tv with no HD for years. Now we have a 40 inch LCD with HD. So much better. I'm getting myself an apple tv thing and netflix for my birthday next month.

Yeah, pretty much. We have the occasional throw down, but its better.

Glad to hear things are good. I was rooting for you. :thumbsup:

Glad to see you posting more too, I've always thought you were entertaining.

And amusingly, all of them were dressed identically. If you were with a woman with blond hair, about 100lbs, jeans and knee high boots, good luch finding her. It was needle in a haystack.

My wife used to be so good about having her own style but, this explains her to a T now. I'm not a fan of the Han Solo boots....

But I noticed (not for the first time) that the caliber of women is MUCH higher at the ritzy mall than at the normal one. I mean both in terms of number of hot chicks, and the ceiling of hottness. You just don't see that kind of tail at the normal mall.

Probably trophy wives. After the obligatory once over, I shudder when I see a very attractive woman. Almost invariably they are high maintenance - not just the expensive gifts, but emotional support, etc. Give me a cute chick without make up any day.

Probably trophy wives. After the obligatory once over, I shudder when I see a very attractive woman. Almost invariably they are high maintenance - not just the expensive gifts, but emotional support, etc. Give me a cute chick without make up any day.

this guy gets it :cheers:

Took one divorce, but I learned from my mistakes. :cheers:

Where were you guys when I needed you..

:mad:

J/K, my wife has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Been married for 12 years and don't regret 1 day of it.

About the only time I go to Green Hills Mall is if I really need to get to the Apple Store or Pottery Barn Kids.

Or if someone insists on going to the Cheesecake Factory.

And yes...the trophy wives or young wannabe trophy wives are there...the slobs are all at Wal-Mart or if they make it to a mall they are at Opry Mills.

J/K, my wife has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. Been married for 12 years and don't regret 1 day of it.

:first:

I don't Xmas shop for anyone. Life is better that way.

About the only time I go to Green Hills Mall is if I really need to get to the Apple Store or Pottery Barn Kids.

Or if someone insists on going to the Cheesecake Factory.

And yes...the trophy wives or young wannabe trophy wives are there...the slobs are all at Wal-Mart or if they make it to a mall they are at Opry Mills.

Yep, that's the one I was at.

We really ought to have a beer some time.

Thought your wife had a bum ticker? Why spend good money for expensive accessories on a yugo?

Jk

This year was supposed to be easy on the spending. We were getting a new dishwasher and so we said that we would not spend much on each other or that much on people in general. That didn't last.

- I bought a new car because I wanted one.

- the dryer broke, so we had to get a new one

- Went romantic and bought the wife a new vacuum cleaner

So, I think that we are pretty much done and after spending a boat load of money on other stuff (my AMEX was at $6k for the month), we went up to BJ's to get a couple of things. We walk out of there $600 lighter in the wallet. WTF?

Oh, and the wife has a pair of those Hans Solo boots too.

"Not spending much money" = getting a new car just because

Damn I need to get into PFB's line of work! :P

"Not spending much money" = getting a new car just because

Damn I need to get into PFB's line of work! :P

Meh. I wanted to get AWD and I did not get a Lexus or anything. Just a Honda. We have the money. I just don't like spending it. :dunno:

Meh. I wanted to get AWD and I did not get a Lexus or anything. Just a Honda. We have the money. I just don't like spending it. :dunno:

Honda's are great vehicles, last forever, low maintenance, high resale... Should have bought a lightly used TL SH-AWD sedan.... Honda Accord in a suit...

Honda's are great vehicles, last forever, low maintenance, high resale... Should have bought a lightly used TL SH-AWD sedan.... Honda Accord in a suit...

I had a TL before. I found the Acura dealer to be an a-hole, so I went back to Honda. I wanted to be a little higher up, so I got a CRV. I am cheap, I guess.

I had a TL before. I found the Acura dealer to be an a-hole, so I went back to Honda. I wanted to be a little higher up, so I got a CRV. I am cheap, I guess.

CRV is very nice... I tried to steer my wife that way, but she wanted a Ford SUV :mad:.... Her next one will be an MDX...

Bought the wifey a $1000.00 purse. I paid $250.00 as it was on sale and got the triple discount. I hate that purse.

Bought the wifey a $1000.00 purse. I paid $250.00 as it was on sale and got the triple discount. I hate that purse.

For $250, she should give you a BJ good enough to pop a nut. :banana:

For $250, she should give you a BJ good enough to pop a nut. :banana:

Got into a fight the other night. I reminded her of that fact. She started crying. She knows she sucks.

Got into a fight the other night. I reminded her of that fact. She started crying. She knows she doesnt suck.

Fixed :(

I'm having a hard time finding a TL I want here. Any thoughts on a Lincoln MKZ?

I'm having a hard time finding a TL I want here. Any thoughts on a Lincoln MKZ?

They look great both inside on out, i know that.. I don't know much about the drivertrain and engine... I think they are doing a 2.0T and a V6... In general i'd go for the naturally aspirated V6 over a 2.0T due to maintenance and longevity concerns... I see the little turbo makes 240hp, 277 TQ... thats alot of power out of a small engine. The V6 goes for 300 HP and 277 TQ, which is pretty similar to the V6 in the TL. Difference being one is a bulletproof honda J-series engine with a bulletproof tranny, the other being a GM engine/tranny, but provided it lasts it certainly looks like a compelling package...

I'd say its a bit more of a gamble, but it depends if you are the type to keep a car for >150k miles, or whether you flip them every 4-5 years... If you get new car itch more often its less important, go for the Lincoln... Its their best offering since the 90's mark VIII....

They look great both inside on out, i know that.. I don't know much about the drivertrain and engine... I think they are doing a 2.0T and a V6... In general i'd go for the naturally aspirated V6 over a 2.0T due to maintenance and longevity concerns... I see the little turbo makes 240hp, 277 TQ... thats alot of power out of a small engine. The V6 goes for 300 HP and 277 TQ, which is pretty similar to the V6 in the TL. Difference being one is a bulletproof honda J-series engine with a bulletproof tranny, the other being a GM engine/tranny, but provided it lasts it certainly looks like a compelling package...

I'd say its a bit more of a gamble, but it depends if you are the type to keep a car for >150k miles, or whether you flip them every 4-5 years... If you get new car itch more often its less important, go for the Lincoln... Its their best offering since the 90's mark VIII....

I didn't think they had a turbo in the older ones; are you thinking of the Passat? Also it is Ford, not GM. My FIL retired from Ford so I'd earn kissass points.

They have a hybrid which is apparently really nice. Gets one of the fastest ROIs. I tend to lean towards old fashioned gas though. Also I would tend to hold the car longer so appreciate the Honda reliability.

CPOs for 2011-12 models run $19-25K with low mileage including some hybrids.

I didn't think they had a turbo in the older ones; are you thinking of the Passat? Also it is Ford, not GM. My FIL retired from Ford so I'd earn kissass points.

They have a hybrid which is apparently really nice. Gets one of the fastest ROIs. I tend to lean towards old fashioned gas though. Also I would tend to hold the car longer so appreciate the Honda reliability.

CPOs for 2011-12 models run $19-25K with low mileage including some hybrids.

I thought you were talking about the new MKZ... if you are buying used i'd go for the Honda... I bought my TL a few years old with pretty low miles for 25k. Its been stellar. I just topped 70k in it and only dealth with oil changes and tires... I should probably upgrade the GPS map but its $200 for the disc which seems like a ripoff... The only problem is that it takes premium gas... But all the cars i've had take premium gas, even my first little civic... The honda engines are efficient but they have high engine compression ratios which i guess require the better quality gas...

I thought you were talking about the new MKZ... if you are buying used i'd go for the Honda... I bought my TL a few years old with pretty low miles for 25k. Its been stellar. I just topped 70k in it and only dealth with oil changes and tires... I should probably upgrade the GPS map but its $200 for the disc which seems like a ripoff... The only problem is that it takes premium gas... But all the cars i've had take premium gas, even my first little civic... The honda engines are efficient but they have high engine compression ratios which i guess require the better quality gas...

Ended up getting the MKZ. 2012 3.5L (not hybrid), 18K miles, spent 18 months on a lease, about $22K + taxes. It looks new, even smells new. My old Jag was dying; power breaks went out a week or two ago and I'm not sure it would have made it back from the dealership, so I never did go to drive an Acura. But the price was great and I love the car so, oh well. Features I like:

- Noticeably roomier inside than my Jag, which was a midsize (S-type). Plenty of leg and head room; I could have used another inch of each in the Jag.

- Trunk is ginormous, and has a 60/40 split rear fold down seat.

- Runs on regular unleaded.

- Ford Sync is cool; still learning it though. Got my phone connected and made a few calls, also ran some MP3s from my Amazon Cloud through the music system.

- Heated and COOLED seats. I'm almost looking forward to the heat of summer to try them out.

- CPO warranty through Feb 2018 or 100K miles.

- Other perks like 6 months free satellite radio (I'm sure they'll hook me), concierge service (they'll pick up my car and drop off a loaner).

The hybrids were nice but after driving the 3.5 it was a meh driving experience, plus another $5K-ish. And I don't put enough miles on it to warrant the gas savings. Found out they have an 8-year battery warranty though; replacing the battery was my biggest concern in the AZ heat, so the warranty made me at least consider it.

I agree that the 2013/14 models are sharp looking. The new full-top moon roofs are certainly slick. But I try to avoid the first year of a major re-design (let them work the kinks out), and there were no used ones available, so I'd have been looking at a price well into the $30s.