Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Your thoughts on switiching from head-to-head over to straight Points/Rotisserie....

I cant believe Im saying this because I always preferred head to head scheduling but I am really thinking of changing to a straight points(16 weeks, NO playoffs, top 4 finishers get a payout) system for our 12 team league next season. Whatever "rivalries" we think we have are nice and all but ultimately it doesnt add that much enjoyment to the whole thing. I think one of the big plusses to points is that you elminate some of the dumb luck that us fantasy guys hate. Ya know, "I scored thr 3rd or 4th most points this week but lost anyways" crap. Sure, it goes the other way too and you may win a few with low points but its more frustrating to lose those games. With seemingly more luck involved these days I felt this move could be a good thing.

Here are the benefits I see with a straight points system:

1) Your team is ALL you have to worry about and if you score a lot then you will win something for it. Takes out the sh!t luck.

2) Eliminates being stuck in a strong division and making divisional games count for too much.

3) Eliminates the very sucky problem of teams that are out of it late in the year "forgetting" to replace bye-week kickers & hurt players. If they "tank it" then they ONLY affect themselves.

4) Gets rid of having to worry about other teams players and the trauma of them blowing up against you. Like I said, you score a lot and manage your team well, you'll end up in the money.

5) No lucky breaks or anything like that. No being at the mercy of someone else. No watching your division rival play the team with ADP on their roster during Minnys bye week. No cheesing yiour way to the Super Bowl - you have to score a lot to win. The cream always rises to the top.

6) Everything else stays the same. You still have to draft and play the FA market well. There will stil be trades. You still are trying to score the most points you can.

Thats what Im thinking.......

• Like 1

I didn't read through your entire post, but I can tell you that in the league I commish'd years ago we split the pot almost equally between playoffs and top 3 in scoring.

I also came up with a playoff and prize money system to keep even the suckiest team interested thru week 16

10 Team league

Top 4 make top tier official playoffs (these are all guaranteed some money)

Next 4 play for a winner takes all small toilet bowl prize

The highest one week score from week 15 and 16 get a cash prize which keeps everyone playing till the end.

We have never had someone mail it in with a sucky record.

I don't mind splitting prizes around because it makes for a very competitive and active league the entire year. I don't play fantasy for the money, it's for the glory.

One thing you might want to consider is double header matchups or victory points scoring (see Antsports league rules used to love that site till owner basically ran it into the a pile of crap).

• Like 1

@RoadLizard - I love your ideas, I've been telling people that head to head really doesn't make sense because there is way to much luck involved. The point of FF is really about scoring points, not beating some random opponent every week.

I really wish that ESPN or some other good sites would let you play 2 people every week to eliminate some of the randomness.

Top 4 make top tier official playoffs (these are all guaranteed some money)

Next 4 play for a winner takes all small toilet bowl prize

The highest one week score from week 15 and 16 get a cash prize which keeps everyone playing till the end.

Great ideas, I am definitely doing this next year in my league.

Going to steal Murf's idea for weeks 15 and 16. Will take full credit for it, of course. Could also work by combining the scores for those two weeks. Either way, thanks. Will ask Mike to send you a t-shirt.

The OP makes a number of good points. With this season still fresh, we're considering some sort of overhaul for next year that addresses many of the same concerns. For instance, the guy who topped the league in points scored also had the most points scored against him. And while it made great message board material, we all sort of agreed it wasn't fair that this fluke caused him to finish out of the hunt. Although there's no interest in doing away with H2H, we're going to look at awarding the 5th and 6th seeds to the highest point teams that wouldn't otherwise qualify based on our current "best record" criteria. Murf's suggestion might be an effective sweetener to help sell this one.

I used to do a total points league a few years back but it dissolved due to guys joining other leagues.

Personally, I like it for the fact it takes out the randomness of who you play that week. Played in 8 leagues this year & made the playoffs in every one. 7/8 made it to the semi's (one team that didn't advance put up the 2nd highest score in week 14 in that league league). 3/7 teams advanced to the championship (one team that didn't advance put up the highest score of the year other than the team I faced & got screwed over by Antonio Brown's return TD not counting). 2/3 teams won the championship that advanced so it wasn't a total loss. But I expected more since all 8 teams had a winning record.

That being said, I still enjoy head to head leagues so you can talk trash or have friendly bets on specific games. In the keeper league I commish, the entire league agrees that we pay out more to the yearly high points winner & division winners. This rewards the teams that play well for 13 weeks compared to ones that luck out in the playoffs. This payout setup may get ripped on by people here but our league enjoys it.

Part of the reason we arent getting much out of the rivalries and trash talk is that we simply dont get together as much anymore on gameday like we used to. People have kids, families, lives, etc, etc. So all that trash talking has been reduced some facebook post or random league forum post. Just doesnt have the oomph of being there with some of the gang at the same house or bar like 15 years ago. When we started this, life was much simpler for most. Now, like I said, a blip here and there on a forum and thats the extent of any razzing we ever see. Its pointless.

Truthfully, the rivaliries just dont mean squat for us anymore and prolly havent for a while.

Part of the reason we arent getting much out of the rivalries and trash talk is that we simply dont get together as much anymore on gameday like we used to. People have kids, families, lives, etc, etc. So all that trash talking has been reduced some facebook post or random league forum post. Just doesnt have the oomph of being there with some of the gang at the same house or bar like 15 years ago. When we started this, life was much simpler for most. Now, like I said, a blip here and there on a forum and thats the extent of any razzing we ever see. Its pointless.

Truthfully, the rivaliries just dont mean squat for us anymore and prolly havent for a while.

I agree with this post. My buddies & I are in our early 30's. 5-10 years ago we lived together or near each other. We'd get together on Sundays & had DirectTV Sunday Ticket with 3 big screens streaming any game we wanted to watch. We partied & talked smack during the early games & played poker while the Sunday night game was being played. It was a blast & made FF way more interesting. Now we get together for Thursday games & play poker while we watch in a buddies garage. It's still fun but those Sundays were the best.

Now everyone is married with kids & understandably FF takes a backseat to family time. SuperBowl parties are the only thing that compares to those Sunday afternoons.

I am most interested in a 2-1 scoring system.

One point for win H2H.

One point for being in the top 6, out of 12, in scoring.

This way head to head still counts and you can still gain something if you have a great week but play another higher scorer.

Does anyone play in a league like this or know if yahoo or MFL can accommodate this?

I've been told the commishs could just add an extra point to the top 6 teams if the sites don't have the feature.

Thoughts on this?

I am most interested in a 2-1 scoring system.

One point for win H2H.

One point for being in the top 6, out of 12, in scoring.

This way head to head still counts and you can still gain something if you have a great week but play another higher scorer.

Does anyone play in a league like this or know if yahoo or MFL can accommodate this?

I've been told the commishs could just add an extra point to the top 6 teams if the sites don't have the feature.

Thoughts on this?

I played in antsports league like this well similar anyway. They called it victory points scoring . You could lose and end up with more points than a team who won while scoring bottom of league for week. So essentially you play everyone that week in a way

I cant believe Im saying this because I always preferred head to head scheduling but I am really thinking of changing to a straight points(16 weeks, NO playoffs, top 4 finishers get a payout) system for our 12 team league next season. Whatever "rivalries" we think we have are nice and all but ultimately it doesnt add that much enjoyment to the whole thing. I think one of the big plusses to points is that you elminate some of the dumb luck that us fantasy guys hate. Ya know, "I scored thr 3rd or 4th most points this week but lost anyways" crap. Sure, it goes the other way too and you may win a few with low points but its more frustrating to lose those games. With seemingly more luck involved these days I felt this move could be a good thing.

Here are the benefits I see with a straight points system:

1) Your team is ALL you have to worry about and if you score a lot then you will win something for it. Takes out the sh!t luck.

2) Eliminates being stuck in a strong division and making divisional games count for too much.

3) Eliminates the very sucky problem of teams that are out of it late in the year "forgetting" to replace bye-week kickers & hurt players. If they "tank it" then they ONLY affect themselves.

4) Gets rid of having to worry about other teams players and the trauma of them blowing up against you. Like I said, you score a lot and manage your team well, you'll end up in the money.

5) No lucky breaks or anything like that. No being at the mercy of someone else. No watching your division rival play the team with ADP on their roster during Minnys bye week. No cheesing yiour way to the Super Bowl - you have to score a lot to win. The cream always rises to the top.

6) Everything else stays the same. You still have to draft and play the FA market well. There will stil be trades. You still are trying to score the most points you can.

Thats what Im thinking.......

amen brother . half my leagues are head to head other are point system . and i like the point system much better . in the end of the season the guy with the best overall team will have the most points but not always the best of luck during the playoffs . so i like it and the point system leagues i am in are all just 16 weeks .

amen brother . half my leagues are head to head other are point system . and i like the point system much better . in the end of the season the guy with the best overall team will have the most points but not always the best of luck during the playoffs . so i like it and the point system leagues i am in are all just 16 weeks .

Ehh..I don't think the team with most points is necessarily 'the best.' It often is but consistency matters.

Some team might have been a roller coaster all season but caught fire for a few weeks and finished top points.

I agree it's a better marker than W-L H2H but it's not an end all be all IMO.

• Like 1

Ehh..I don't think the team with most points is necessarily 'the best.' It often is but consistency matters.

Some team might have been a roller coaster all season but caught fire for a few weeks and finished top points.

amen brother . they are not the end all be all . but i do think that the team with the most points wins imo . and i do like the point system better then head to head .

I lean now towards a H2H system that pays out at least as much to the total points 1st/2nd teams as to the Super Bowl winner/runner-up. Straight total points leagues can suffer from owner disinterest if one team gets a real big head start (in ours this year, the Peyton owner was off and running...and then on his bye week, had Foles come in to give him his second 7 TD QB week), likewise if any owner falls in a real big hole.

I love soccer, but even this crap is weak compared to the way that they run their tables. Football isn't decided by high points. Weekly head to head is the essence of competition. I'm all for data analysis. But calling it luckwhen a lower aggregate team scores more than your team in a matchup is horseshit.

See my sig

Guys can argue all day which is better but Total points champion is the real champion

Head to head adds some fun and keeps owners in it that started slow

Solution

Split the pot

I love soccer, but even this crap is weak compared to the way that they run their tables. Football isn't decided by high points. Weekly head to head is the essence of competition. I'm all for data analysis. But calling it luckwhen a lower aggregate team scores more than your team in a matchup is horseshit.

sorry but head to head the winner is the one that scores the high points . so football is decided by like all games that keep score the winner is the one with the high points . and when a underdog wins there is luck in that .. and all of fantasy football is really about luck . no one really knows who or what any player is going to do . but the winner at the end of every football game is the team with the most or high points . amen brother

sorry but head to head the winner is the one that scores the high points . so football is decided by like all games that keep score the winner is the one with the high points . and when a underdog wins there is luck in that .. and all of fantasy football is really about luck . no one really knows who or what any player is going to do . but the winner at the end of every football game is the team with the most or high points . amen brother

The first thing u must do to understand this debate is that Fantasy Football is NOT like real football.

Teams don't play head to head on a field of battle that directly affect each other.

FF is aligning stats, there is non field.

Once u can separate the two, then you'll understand Total points is far more accurate champion

Head to head becomes a fun alternative, but a joke

But in fantasy you have no control over holding your opponents score down. It's like saying the packers have to outscore the broncos today to get the win. Head to head in fantasy is NOT really head to head it's a random matching of opponents. Only way you are assured a win every week is if you are best scoring team overall in your entire league

• Like 1

Actually I do feel the best gauge of a teams quality is points scored. That's because in fantasy football, as Murf pointed out, there is no way to play defense or stop your opponent the only thing you can control is your teams output. This is part of our issue. Some of us are tired of teams in crappy divisions getting free passes to the playoffs or catching incredibly advantageous scheduling breaks.

How about each week the top 50% (so obviously top 6 in a 12 team league) of teams with the most points get a W, and the bottom 50% get a Loss.

How about each week the top 50% (so obviously top 6 in a 12 team league) of teams with the most points get a W, and the bottom 50% get a Loss.

In a total points race that's essentially what happens without recording the L

Those at the bottom lose

In a total points race that's essentially what happens without recording the L

Those at the bottom lose

Not really cause a couple fluke weeks affects overall points race more than just getting a win or loss that single week. Kind like that top 50% gets a win each week makes a ton if sense

Not really cause a couple fluke weeks affects overall points race more than just getting a win or loss that single week. Kind like that top 50% gets a win each week makes a ton if sense

And you could use variations on this. Instead of W-L, you could give out points each week...

12 team league:

Team with the most points in a given week gets 12 points, decreasing until you get to the lowest scoring team which gets 1 point.

Nothing I have ever tried though.

Random idea: what if in the playoffs you got bonus points based on your average weekly scoring? For instance, say you averaged 96 points/week and your opponent averaged 89 -- you would get 7 points added to your score for the head-to-head matchup. This would provide some total-points benefit in an otherwise head-to-head league. Thoughts?

h2h and the schedule draw is part of FF and what makes it fun. i have done point leagues in the past and it just isnt the same

with that being said, we do use points for tie breakers, not h2h. we do offer $ based on regular season finish.

you could still have a h2h league, but award 50% of the ante as a reward to the top 4 scoring team, or what ever amount of teams make the playoffs.

This

Its Football. Only Rotisserie ur Chicken...not ur Fantasy Football league. How boring

ESPN league I finished as top seed at 11-2. 12 team league,8 teams made playoffs. Week 14 went against the #8 seed and lost. Bang, I'm done. All the hard work I put in during the season gone in 1 week. The guy that beat me had a 5-8 record. That's H2H FF. I'm not bitter but I think I'll look for a total points league next year and see how that goes. 12 team leagues,if H2H, should only have the top 4 teams play for the title,IMO or 6 top teams with the top 2 getting first week Bye when playoffs start. I'll play a couple of ESPN leagues next year but I'm going to look for Point Total leagues if I play for any money.

ESPN league I finished as top seed at 11-2. 12 team league,8 teams made playoffs. Week 14 went against the #8 seed and lost. Bang, I'm done. All the hard work I put in during the season gone in 1 week. The guy that beat me had a 5-8 record. That's H2H FF. I'm not bitter but I think I'll look for a total points league next year and see how that goes. 12 team leagues,if H2H, should only have the top 4 teams play for the title,IMO or 6 top teams with the top 2 getting first week Bye when playoffs start. I'll play a couple of ESPN leagues next year but I'm going to look for Point Total leagues if I play for any money.

8 teams is too many in the playoffs. Should be 6 with top 2 getting a bye week. That's how my league does it.

Gotta disagree here - one or two wins agains the RIGHT opponents can make or break a season. EG: If you beat your divisional foes but are shaky against everyone else yer probably playoff bound. I feel the points thing forcees you to earn it ALL or your own. No "help" from other teams or weak divisions.

We only play a 13 week reg season so believe me, 2-3 wins makes a monumental difference!

All too often sports is a matter of luck and scheduling. Why should fantasy sports be any different?

And yes, I have certainly been the top scorer in the league and gotten screwed out of the playoffs....but I still prefer Head to Head with weekly payouts for the top scorer.