Sign in to follow this  
JTB

Kentucky scores 1 point BEFORE the game even starts!

A reserve for Kansas State dunked in warm ups. It's a technical foul and the shooter went 1-2.

That's a rule? Why?

Some pregame rules violations are better than others.

That's a rule? Why?

The officials have to monitor three things during pre game: One stands by the scorer's table until ten minutes prior to tip off for any late scratches or additions to the line up; One stands with the home team from the side line; one stands with the visitor from the side line. The reason for this is to monitor players slapping the backboard, which apparently was a tradition that would be aimed at putting the net slightly off kilter. It has now morphed into dunking the ball as well for attempting to bend the rim.

If you dunk or slap the backboard during warm ups, it's a technical-unsportsmanlike-penalty. Free throws are done prior to the game, there is no tip off, and possession goes to the team who received the free throws.

The reason for this is to monitor players slapping the backboard, which apparently was a tradition that would be aimed at putting the net slightly off kilter. It has now morphed into dunking the ball as well for attempting to bend the rim.

Thanks, now it makes sense. I didn't know that.

You'd think his coach didn't bring that up that in the preseason, this kid would have gotten that foul in the first game of the year rather than the first game of the postseason.

Thanks, now it makes sense. I didn't know that.

You'd think his coach didn't bring that up that in the preseason, this kid would have gotten that foul in the first game of the year rather than the first game of the postseason.

This kid had to have known that rule because it's part of the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). It may have been an accident with an overzealous official. There are guys out there that look for ticky-tack sh!t like that to call.

This kid had to have known that rule because it's part of the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). It may have been an accident with an overzealous official. There are guys out there that look for ticky-tack sh!t like that to call.

That rule has been in place for a long time. It goes back to when I was playing. I never had to worry about it, though. :(

That rule has been in place for a long time. It goes back to when I was playing. I never had to worry about it, though. :(

You just waved your dong at the crowd.

Our shorts were a helluva lot shorter than they are today. :banana:

Hence the dong wagging

Apparently, the rule is you can't dunk when there is less than 20 minutes before tip off. The dunk happened with the clock at 19:58. The ref probably was over zealous in my opinion.

Apparently, the rule is you can't dunk when there is less than 20 minutes before tip off. The dunk happened with the clock at 19:58. The ref probably was over zealous in my opinion.

I believe I said the same thing a few posts ago. Guy was out to make a name for himself.

The officials have to monitor three things during pre game: One stands by the scorer's table until ten minutes prior to tip off for any late scratches or additions to the line up; One stands with the home team from the side line; one stands with the visitor from the side line. The reason for this is to monitor players slapping the backboard, which apparently was a tradition that would be aimed at putting the net slightly off kilter. It has now morphed into dunking the ball as well for attempting to bend the rim.

If you dunk or slap the backboard during warm ups, it's a technical-unsportsmanlike-penalty. Free throws are done prior to the game, there is no tip off, and possession goes to the team who received the free throws.

This rule doesn't exist in the NBA though, right?

This rule doesn't exist in the NBA though, right?

I'm not sure they have a shoot around similar to what the NCAA and NFHS have. My guess is that the NBA doesn't have it. I think they also have to have their scorebooks submitted a lot earlier to the officials than NCAA does, as well.

omg! never saw that slap shot scene/movie before.

omg! never saw that slap shot scene/movie before.

I wouldn't imagine anyone like you has ever seen that Slap Shot scene before.

well i enjoyed it. i mean, it was shocking cause he really whacked him hard.

but uh, if you're trying to imply that someone like me wouldn't enjoy hockey, think again.

the new jersey devils hockey team have their arena in newark, nj, my hometown.

Prior to the late 70's, you couldn't even dunk in a college game, nevermind warmups. High school eliminated the dunking penalty around the same time, or maybe a couple years later. I assumed they let you dunk in warmups once they let you do it in a game, but what do I know? :dunno:

Prior to the late 70's, you couldn't even dunk in a college game, nevermind warmups. High school eliminated the dunking penalty around the same time, or maybe a couple years later. I assumed they let you dunk in warmups once they let you do it in a game, but what do I know? :dunno:

1967-76 was the "Alcindor Rule". The NCAA was so terrified of what Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) would do to their game (partly because of the way the UCLA freshman team abused the varsity in scrimmages) that they passed the "no dunk" rule before he played a college game.

Prior to '67 the dunk was legal, and legend has it that Adolph Rupp was willing to overlook segregation and recruit Wilt Chamberlain. Rupp reportedly hated the dunk and what he saw as the future of the game, and wanted Wilt essentially to dunk every time down the floor to force the NCAA's hand.