Sign in to follow this  
30 Fat, Bald & Texan

My truck got totaled

Does stc drive a SUV

Reason I ask is one of you needs a "family tuckster".

I drive a 2010 Chevy traverse. I love it, fully loaded, and paid off, but gas sucks. I go through a quarter of a tank everyday just driving to work and home (50 miles each way.) luckily, I only go in 2-3 days a week so no biggie.

30fbt had a paid off 4-door F150.... So trying to find a comparable replacement is impossible w/o about 25k+. He just took a job 45-50 miles away as well... Going in earlier and stays later so we don't carpool. I said if he wants to stay there he needs to get a better mileage vehicle. If there's a car payment of any kind I have to pay, I get to pick out the car and he ges to drive the SUV :-) The Sonata or Honda civic 2011/2012 is so far the realistic option, although I really want a convertible camero, BMW 525i, Tahoe or Tundra.... :-D

• Like 1

Completely false.

Terrible, terrible engines.

My experience was actually with the 2.5 liter 4 banger. Manual trans. I drove it from Tucson to Seattle and just put gas and oil it on the way. I put in a Helix throttle body spacer and an a few different cold air intakes, until I finally put in the AEM Brute Force. It was still slow. I did have a Jeep once briefly, that I fixed up and sold that had the 4.0 and it had a much better throttle response. I hear only good things. Maybe the reason you see a lot of them in the shop is people beat them to hell and don't take proper care of their vehicles in general.

Have you considered getting a Prius?

We have a couple of friends who have them, and for the $$$ they're pretty decent cars. Surprisingly more room in them than you'd think. Awesome gas mileage, as well. Plus, they've been running 0% financing for awhile now.

Between the money you'd save on gas and interest, you might be able to afford a new one.

c'mon, don't recommend a Prius. Any small car like that would get smushed in an accident. He was just in a horrible accident, and I say get something mid-size or larger with lots of air bags.

I drive a 2010 Chevy traverse. I love it, fully loaded, and paid off, but gas sucks. I go through a quarter of a tank everyday just driving to work and home (50 miles each way.) luckily, I only go in 2-3 days a week so no biggie.

30fbt had a paid off 4-door F150.... So trying to find a comparable replacement is impossible w/o about 25k+. He just took a job 45-50 miles away as well... Going in earlier and stays later so we don't carpool. I said if he wants to stay there he needs to get a better mileage vehicle. If there's a car payment of any kind I have to pay, I get to pick out the car and he ges to drive the SUV :-) The Sonata or Honda civic 2011/2012 is so far the realistic option, although I really want a convertible camero, BMW 525i, Tahoe or Tundra.... :-D

Sounds like one of you needs a SUV (keep the Traverse as its paid for) for toteing the kiddo's during the week, family weekend excursions, and simplying hauling crap as you have family of four. The other just needs a four door sedan that is killer on gas milage as a commuter car.

I had to get rid of my truck once I had kids and because I have a 60 mile (roundtrip) daily commute. It just didn't make sense. :sadbanana:

c'mon, don't recommend a Prius. Any small car like that would get smushed in an accident. He was just in a horrible accident, and I say get something mid-size or larger with lots of air bags.

All cars/trucks are pretty safe nowadays, so the difference between a mid size car and Prius is pretty inconsequential IMO. If he wants to lessen his chance of an accident, maybe he should live closer to work?

I actually considered the Prius but for some reason when I see a Prius I automatically think the driver is a doosh. I don't know if that's due to southpark or not but I seriously can't help but think "hey look at me" when I see them.

I actually considered the Prius but for some reason when I see a Prius I automatically think the driver is a doosh. I don't know if that's due to southpark or not but I seriously can't help but think "hey look at me" when I see them.

Just don't be an attention-seeking douche then. Are you looking for a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle or trying to make a statement?

Just don't be an attention-seeking douche then. Are you looking for a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle or trying to make a statement?

You say that as if they are mutually exclusive.

They do make fuel efficient cars that don't look like giant roller skates.

You say that as if they are mutually exclusive.

They do make fuel efficient cars that don't look like giant roller skates.

I like Teslas, too, but he wants a cheap car.

Seriously though, early purchasers of Priuses may have been trying to make an eco-statement, but the cars are a dime a dozen nowadays. It's kinda silly to assume anything about their drivers' douchiness at this point IMO, as many of them are looking for the same things as 30FB&T.

Truck drivers and purchasers of "luxury" vehicles are a different story.

I like Teslas, too, but he wants a cheap car.

Seriously though, early purchasers of Priuses may have been trying to make an eco-statement, but the cars are a dime a dozen nowadays. It's kinda silly to assume anything about their drivers' douchiness at this point IMO, as many of them are looking for the same things as 30FB&T.

Truck drivers and purchasers of "luxury" vehicles are a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Prius. Toyota made a helluv a product and if my wife wanted one I'd be totally on board...for her. Howevever its just not for everybody. :dunno:

I do love how more and more car manufacturers are making fuel effiecient cars. The technology is catching up now with the cost / style / maintenece. I think it has more to do with good ole fashioned capitalism than anything else. People want it (demand) so manufactures naturally make them to fit that need (supply). And when more and more do it they become affordable (competition). It's a beautiful thing.

I used to hate Volkswagons, but the new Passat is pretty sporty. Has the Clean Diesel Technology, so its Diesel and get like 35+ mpg. I've been eyeing them......

Anybody ever own a diesel?

Also, if all you care about is a reliable, and cheap to drive/maintain car, buy a 1999 Honda Accord. Or a minivan. If you want practical. For about $3500 you can buy a nice 15 year old Jeep Cherokee, which is a glorified minivan. Why spend $12k if all you care about is reliable?

If you want an investment, or to be even slightly cool ... forget the minivan.

The Jeep Cherokee is hands down the crappiest vehicle I've ever been in when compared to it's hype/ price.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Prius. Toyota made a helluv a product and if my wife wanted one I'd be totally on board...for her. Howevever its just not for everybody. :dunno:

I do love how more and more car manufacturers are making fuel effiecient cars. The technology is catching up now with the cost / style / maintenece. I think it has more to do with good ole fashioned capitalism than anything else. People want it (demand) so manufactures naturally make them to fit that need (supply). And when more and more do it they become affordable (competition). It's a beautiful thing.

I used to hate Volkswagons, but the new Passat is pretty sporty. Has the Clean Diesel Technology, so its Diesel and get like 35+ mpg. I've been eyeing them......

Big fan of the Passat. For 20+ years my household always had a VW of some sort. All cars that far exceeded expectations and ran like champs.

Wife had a 2006 VW Passat diesel before her Prius. She liked it. Great mileage, and much better range than the Prius, but less reliable (electrical problems).

Wife had a 2006 VW Passat diesel before her Prius. She liked it. Great mileage, and much better range than the Prius, but less reliable (electrical problems).

I leased a 2008 red Jetta (in 2008 it only had 8 miles on it) and LOVED it. 30 FBT doesn't like VW... Its a cheaper version of a BMW and it has been my favorite car YTD.

The Jeep Cherokee is hands down the crappiest vehicle I've ever been in when compared to it's hype/ price.

They're kinda fun to own but I'm not really sure why. Doesn't drive great, isn't very comfortable, but nonetheless I enjoyed both the Cherokee and Wrangler I once owned.

I leased a 2008 red Jetta (in 2008 it only had 8 miles on it) and LOVED it. 30 FBT doesn't like VW... Its a cheaper version of a BMW and it has been my favorite car YTD.

German cars are the best.

Unless you're Sux... and then you hate working on them. Because they're engineered to be smarter than you.

Unless you're Sux... and then you hate working on them. Because they're engineered to be smarter than you.

What isn't?

Meh. BMWs are fun to drive, as are Audis. Mercedes are overpriced and mediocre quality. Comparable Japanese cars are better than all of them.

Meh. BMWs are fun to drive, as are Audis. Mercedes are overpriced and mediocre quality. Comparable Japanese cars are better than all of them.

Japanese cars don't handle like their German counterparts, IMO. But they are less of a headache to maintain.

Japanese cars don't handle like their German counterparts, IMO. But they are less of a headache to maintain.

Yeah, the steering of German cars tends to be heavier. But Japanese make plenty of cars that handle well objectively (skid pad, slalom testing, etc.).

I do like Porches though.

Yeah, the steering of German cars tends to be heavier. But Japanese make plenty of cars that handle well objectively (skid pad, slalom testing, etc.).

I do like Porches though.

I like Porches, too. Not a huge fan of their sporty interiors, though. I guess that's why I'm what Sux likes to call a BMW honk. For me, it's the perfect balance.

He went while I was at work and ended up getting a 2013 Ford focus. It's a pure commuter car that's for sure. It is loaded in the inside, back seats are small and it's loud as hell when you drive it. Guess I'll keep driving my car, no huge upgrade here (besides the great gas mileage, he did good there.)

I'm trying to convince him to let 'me' have this as our computer car... Audi A4 convertible, she's a beauty. 22-30 mpg too! Love her already. Yes, I work hard and want to make a statement.

http://www.carfax.com/vehicles/WAUAF48HX9K001577-used-2009-audi-a4-2.0t--forest-hill

DON'T EVER BUY AN AUDI

Total throwaway cars. Same with any VW that has a 1.8T engine. Bug, Passat, Jetta whatever. Trust me on this.

Or don't

My ghey mom has had a first gen and second gen Prius. Zero problems with either so far. :dunno:

I don't have the heart to tell her that economically, it makes no sense.

Should we compare apples to apples? You might lose this battle if we do :lol:

Then again, I totally understand why you like your X6. Like you said, "IMO". :thumbsup:

Bottom line is that you are a BMW honk (nothing wrong with that) and I am a Toyota honk.

We can argue all day long, but as long as you enjoy the vehicle you drive, it's all good.

BTW, I did get to drive a X6 the other day. Had to diagnose an airbag light that was on. Stupid crap...Either way, I can totally see why you like them. :music_guitarred:

My ghey mom has had a first gen and second gen Prius. Zero problems with either so far. :dunno:

I don't have the heart to tell her that economically, it makes no sense.

why not?

DON'T EVER BUY AN AUDI

Total throwaway cars. Same with any VW that has a 1.8T engine. Bug, Passat, Jetta whatever. Trust me on this.

Or don't

:thumbsup: That's what I've been trying to tell her.

What isn't?

I smell a spinoff thread. "Things that aren't smarter than Sux"

I smell a spinoff thread. "Things that aren't smarter than Sux"

Make it so. :thumbsup: