Sign in to follow this  
BiPolarBear

The Drought has Ruined Fishing in DFW

The water levels in the lakes and rivers are way down. I went to Grapevine lake last week and the edge of the water is completely barren. Just rock, gravel, or mud. I fly fish and the way I go at it I really need to cast to the cover of reeds, twigs, cattails, etc. The cover holds the fish.

I talked to an expert on the matter who told me I basically need to leave town. (Amazing how many people feel that way about me) He said there is still some water in East Texas or I could make the long drive to the Gulf. ^_^

I guess I will bail on a new fishing license in August. :(

It's only going to get worse.

The water levels in the lakes and rivers are way down. I went to Grapevine lake last week and the edge of the water is completely barren. Just rock, gravel, or mud. I fly fish and the way I go at it I really need to cast to the cover of reeds, twigs, cattails, etc. The cover holds the fish.

I talked to an expert on the matter who told me I basically need to leave town. (Amazing how many people feel that way about me) He said there is still some water in East Texas or I could make the long drive to the Gulf. ^_^

I guess I will bail on a new fishing license in August. :(

The Saint Johns River is somewhat low in FL. Although a lot of the lakes are up around town.

I got some interesting fishing news today.... The Alabama Rig, that long wirey bait with 5 baitfish/hooks behind it that looks so ridiculous only a clown would actually use it.....it works. I watched pros start using them a couple years ago, but never thought I'd want one.

Well my fishing partner bought one and practiced with it today for an upcoming local tournament. Said it was almost too easy especially when bass were schooling, and even when they weren't. Said he caught well over 30 bass in less time than we'd caght 5 a week earlier on that spot. Said all true bass fisherman must have this lure in their arsenal. I concur.

Why ?

Because it's a drought you retard. God damn, read a science book.

The Saint Johns River is somewhat low in FL. Although a lot of the lakes are up around town.

I got some interesting fishing news today.... The Alabama Rig, that long wirey bait with 5 baitfish/hooks behind it that looks so ridiculous only a clown would actually use it.....it works. I watched pros start using them a couple years ago, but never thought I'd want one.

Well my fishing partner bought one and practiced with it today for an upcoming local tournament. Said it was almost too easy especially when bass were schooling, and even when they weren't. Said he caught well over 30 bass in less time than we'd caght 5 a week earlier on that spot. Said all true bass fisherman must have this lure in their arsenal. I concur.

:lol: I looked it up. I had the idea of replicating a small school of fish a long time ago. I am glad somebody had the follow through. :thumbsup:

:lol: I looked it up. I had the idea of replicating a small school of fish a long time ago. I am glad somebody had the follow through. :thumbsup:

I'm amazed it works. You'd think it would scare fish.

It scares me.

I'm amazed it works. You'd think it would scare fish.

I had forgotten that they used a similar rig for stripers when I went on a Chesapeake charter fishing trip in about 2001. I think it was called an umbrella rig.

I'd reckon Dallas-Ft. Worth has ruined the fishing in DFW.

If you mean too many people using too much water, I think that is accurate. I was discussing this with a local yesterday and was told that it was known 50 years ago that this area didn't have the water to support huge populations. Looks like we are there.

Come to MN. The fishing is great! :banana:

And some of these queers can get married while they are there.

Yeah, you have it all going for you in the fish department. :thumbsup:

Walleye is some of the best fish I ever ate. Do you catch any of those?

I had forgotten that they used a similar rig for stripers when I went on a Chesapeake charter fishing trip in about 2001. I think it was called an umbrella rig.

Been using umbrella rigs for stripers and bluefish for as long as I can remember.

And some of these queers can get married while they are there.

another attempt to politicize a thread, what a hack!

Good lord...back to back whinefest and fluffing.

Jokes apparently bother you two.

Somebody pet GP...he may need a treat or two also...definitely needs some attention.

The ice is still safe to walk out on to?

The massive amount of snow and Ice we got here in michigan this winter has made it so the lakes surrounding me in lower Mi are filled like very few years I have seen in the past. Hopefully it is enough to keep them at a reasonable level through the summer.

Yeah, you have it all going for you in the fish department. :thumbsup:

Walleye is some of the best fish I ever ate. Do you catch any of those?

Yea, mostly when I am back home at my parent's houae. They are right near the Mississippi. My dad and I will fish for walleye off of the wing dams and dumped concrete piles.

Biggest I caught was 7.45lbs. That thing was massive!

They are soooooo good deep fried! :wub:

Yea, mostly when I am back home at my parent's houae. They are right near the Mississippi. My dad and I will fish for walleye off of the wing dams and dumped concrete piles.

Man, that was a nice fish! :thumbsup: I have an electric wok I have done a bunch of frying in. There are actually walleye in Texas now, but I have never seen one.

Someday hunting and fishing will be illegal in this country!

Watch out...those little black helicopters are getting closer.

BTW...the only thing that would make them illegal is if populations of the animals hunted would drop a ton. Same with fish population.

This is why you southerners are all fat. You take possibly the healthiest protein on the planet and completely destroy any beneficial effects by deep frying it :doh:

(I bet it is fockin tasty though)

This is why you southerners are all fat. You take possibly the healthiest protein on the planet and completely destroy any beneficial effects by deep frying it :doh:

(I bet it is fockin tasty though)

Walleyes are not a southern fish :ninja:

Walleyes are not a southern fish :ninja:

Same goes for Midwesterners. "Fish fry"...never heard of such an event until I lived in Minnesota.

We went out to Lake Jacksonville near Tyler over the weekend and it was higher than I have ever seen it. I also caught a 5lb bass :P

Sweet!!! :thumbsup:

Fishing from a boat?

Same goes for Midwesterners. "Fish fry"...never heard of such an event until I lived in Minnesota.

Well yes...southerners and midwestern folks like to deep fry about anything.

Sweet!!! :thumbsup:

Fishing from a boat?

I have a bass boat and a little 2 person trolling boat. Everybody was out on the big boat skiing, etc. so I took the little boat out and caught it.

I have a bass boat and a little 2 person trolling boat. Everybody was out on the big boat skiing, etc. so I took the little boat out and caught it.

Sounds like you are set. :thumbsup:

I have the most humble boat in the world. If I said I would sell it to you for $75 and you had some use for it, you would say $60, no more. (and I would say done!) :D

It is a 12 foot folding boat (Porta-Bote) and it is beat to shiot! I have a real good 5 hp motor, though. I mainly used it in Cali in the harbors.