Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Washington mom outraged over 'pay to potty' policy in classroom

A Washington state mom vowed to take legal action after she said her child was forced to "pay" to use the bathroom in her third-grade class.

Merchon Ortega told Fox News' Andrea Tantaros that her daughter had an accident after a teacher denied her a bathroom break.

"She chose not to pay to use the restroom and she had to go so bad," Ortega said. "She said it hurt so bad that she just couldn't hold it anymore. She urinated on herself."

The teacher reportedly implemented a class reward system at Mill Plain Elementary in Vancouver that gave students fake money to spend at a class auction at the end of the year. Bathroom breaks were added to the system as a way to cut back on disruptions during class.

The Evergreen Public Schools District said in a statement that children were "never denied bathroom breaks if they needed one, regardless if they had sufficient 'dollars' in their account -- this was a decision made to use an already implemented money management learning system rather than introduce another method of dispensing discretionary passes."

Two parents filed complaints after their children wet their pants earlier this month. The district announced last Friday that after an investigation into the complaints, the teacher would not be disciplined.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/30/washington-mom-outraged-over-pay-to-potty-policy-in-classroom/?intcmp=latestnews

Do these teachers think they are unreachable? If someone embarassed my daughter like that.....i can guaran-damn-tee you ill be on their doorstep. And i say that giving teachers a really long leash because they deal with a lot of BS......but thats a pretty scarring event for a kid. Ridiculous.

"She chose not to pay to use the restroom and she had to go so bad," Ortega said. "She said it hurt so bad that she just couldn't hold it anymore. She urinated on herself."

She should be outraged that her daughter is apparently a moron.

Sounds like a great program to teach kids budgeting and the difference between luxuries and necessities.

• Like 1

This one time at band camp. I heard an incredible story about a flute.

I'd tell my kid to take a dump on the middle of the teachers desk. :bandana:

I'd tell my kid to take a dump on the middle of the teachers desk. :bandana:

I bet the teacher would rather have it on her chest. That dirty skank .

I bet the teacher would rather have it on her chest. That dirty skank ######.

A simple Cleveland Steamer or the more exotic Cincinnati Bowtie?

A simple Cleveland Steamer or the more exotic Cincinnati Bowtie?

:overhead:

Terrible policy.

Terribly misleading headline too as it implies kids had to pay real money. I'm sure Fox News didn't mean to sensationalize and mislead though :rolleyes:

Kid is 9 years old....school says she was allowed to go to the bathroom where she apparently pissed herself, was laughed at by kids when she returned to the classroom....now she needs counseling and mom wants to sue school.

Sounds like a case of one of those parents.

• Like 1

I'm sure Fox News didn't mean to sensationalize and mislead though :rolleyes:

:lol:

It was fake money that was given to her. Why the hell didn't she pay some back and go pee? She was 9, not 4.

It was fake money that was given to her. Why the hell didn't she pay some back and go pee? She was 9, not 4.

Her way of sticking it to the man.

FIGHT THE POWER :bandana:

Because I could get Uromysitisis poisoning and die. That's why!...Do you think I enjoy living like this?...the shame, the humiliation...

Her way of sticking it to the man.

FIGHT THE POWER :bandana:

She sure showed them! :banana:

• Like 1

We had something similar happen at an English immersion summer camp I was running. Give the kids fake money and have them use English to "buy stuff".

So day two breakfast comes along and some kids don't want to eat. They were broke. The night before, they'd gambled away all their fake money.

We had something similar happen at an English immersion summer camp I was running. Give the kids fake money and have them use English to "buy stuff".

So day two breakfast comes along and some kids don't want to eat. They were broke. The night before, they'd gambled away all their fake money.

those asians love the gambling don't they! Haha... great story. You make them give the money back or scrap the program?

those asians love the gambling don't they! Haha... great story. You make them give the money back or scrap the program?

We made them help the staff and clean the school.