Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Something I wanted to share.....

Its tough. Some of these oldies rely heavily on being mobile. I do think there should be some standard, but how do you make a test that eliminates all form of subjectivity?

Sorta by definition, a "test" would eliminate subjectivity. In other words, don't disqualify a person just because they are old -- if they can pass the test, they can still drive.

We would of course need a new test, one that evaluates reflexes for instance. Also the AARP would squash such an idea like a bug before it ever got any wings so... :dunno:

Not that many people care but I think I'll document my son's progress here from time to time. It feels good to write it down so you focks have to bear with it. :thumbsup:

Text I just got today from my wife:

KSB2424Jr. actually dressed himself today and stood up all by himself with his full weight on both legs without holding on to anything. And your two year old just pee'd and pooped in the toilet by himself too. Today's been a good day.

It's the small things in life at this point that make me :)

Sorta by definition, a "test" would eliminate subjectivity. In other words, don't disqualify a person just because they are old -- if they can pass the test, they can still drive.

We would of course need a new test, one that evaluates reflexes for instance. Also the AARP would squash such an idea like a bug before it ever got any wings so... :dunno:

Agreed, I have no idea how to combat old people whom are dangerous from driving. On one hand it does give them freedom that they desperately need, on the other hand at a certain point they become a danger to society. A driving test seems reasonable at a certain age. :dunno:

Not that many people care but I think I'll document my son's progress here from time to time. It feels good to write it down so you focks have to bear with it. :thumbsup:

KSB2424Jr. actually dressed himself today and stood up all by himself with his full weight on both legs without holding on to anything. And your two year old just pee'd and pooped in the toilet by himself too. Today's been a good day.

I definitely care. Keep the updates coming

Question: at what age do you give in to your kid when they want to stop wearing a helmet?

Not sure as once they get older the will go off on their own without supervision and they could just take it off even if the parent is strict about it. I think the best approach is like most things with parenting. Start early, try to ingrain it, and hope it sticks as they get older.

What I told my boy once he started riding a bike / scooter / skateboard was that his helmet was part of his "gear". That when he plays soccer his gear is his shin guards. That when he plays baseball his gear is his glove and bat. And when he rides his bike his gear is his helmet. That it's simply part and parcel of riding something with wheels. It goes together with it. Eventually I think they just go and put it on without even thinking twice about it. Thats the hope at least. :dunno:

Just saw this. Glad he's doing OK KSB. Scary stuff. I know we like to biatch about how over-protected kids are these days, but this just goes to show the potential payoff from a $20 helmet. There's no downside.

• Like 1

Appreciate the updates and keeping positive thoughts for full and speedy recovery.

Wow KSB..glad your son is ok and getting better. Congrats about the 2 year old pooping and peeing in the toilet too. :first:

Its tough. Some of these oldies rely heavily on being mobile. I do think there should be some standard, but how do you make a test that eliminates all form of subjectivity?

We took the keys away from my mom a couple of years ago. Had to be done. She hated us for it. She never got in an accident or drive poorly. But we cringed every time she went somewhere. I agree there should be a test.

teh cars are gonna' drive themselves soon... Google Car, Google Glasses, Google Maps, Google Roads.

Definitely interested in the updates. Please keep them coming.

On 7/31/2014 at 7:32 PM, Big Blue 06 said:

Definitely interested in the updates. Please keep them coming.

KSBJr just made the middle school soccer team as a 6th grader yesterday.  Kids are resilient as hell.  :pointstosky:  

He still's goes out to Duke University for laser treatments on his scarring and see's an Orthopedic Surgeon for semi-annual X-rays to make sure the growth plate isn't closing as he hits his growth spurts.  It did two years ago and they had to go in and res-sect the bone bridge.  However so far so good all things considering.  

Anyway carry on.....I'm just a proud dad today.  :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

KSBJr just made the middle school soccer team as a 6th grader yesterday.  Kids are resilient as hell.  :pointstosky:  

He still's goes out to Duke University for laser treatments on his scarring and see's an Orthopedic Surgeon for semi-annual X-rays to make sure the growth plate isn't closing as he hits his growth spurts.  It did two years ago and they had to go in and res-sect the bone bridge.  However so far so good all things considering.  

That's awesome man. You have every right to be proud. 

• Like 1

Nice. Glad to hear this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Hopefully he will have more success on the special Olympics team :cheers:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Hopefully he will have more success on the special Olympics team :cheers:

Like his dad did

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

That is incredible, kids really are amazing little creatures.  I’m glad everything is going well. :cheers:

• Like 1

Congratulations! Make sure you tell him how proud you are. Sometimes we assume they know and it will mean a lot to him. Also let him know when you are proud even when he does something not sports related.

40 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Congratulations! Make sure you tell him how proud you are. Sometimes we assume they know and it will mean a lot to him. Also let him know when you are proud even when he does something not sports related.

It's true.  Not trying to play "whoa is me" as life is much tougher for others, but he's a had a tough road compared to a normal kid.  I'm going to spitball 7 or 8 surgeries on his leg.   I'm just pumped for him, he needed a "win".   Middle School soccer is full soccer field where you play 11, they carry 7  subs so roster is 18.  There were 23/24 to try-out and I counted 11 Eighth graders on the team.   He just turned 12 in February and is in the sixth grade, but he loves soccer, plays on a travel team.   The coach said at 8:00pm I'll post the final roster on the team site. We pulled it up as a family and his name popped up, he was so happy.....almost in tears.   I remained calm but inside was going crazy.  

Anyway, your advice rings true even not sports related.  Take every "win" you can and make them proud.   

This place is a weird one, it brings out the worst in me sometimes but I just re-read this thread and it can be cathartic as well...a place to vent....knowing good and well you might get made fun of but that's half the charm.  

Looks like we had a special snowflake up in this thread. Someone must have reported my post, because it went poof. :lol:

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

It's true.  Not trying to play "whoa is me" as life is much tougher for others, but he's a had a tough road compared to a normal kid.  I'm going to spitball 7 or 8 surgeries on his leg.   I'm just pumped for him, he needed a "win".   Middle School soccer is full soccer field where you play 11, they carry 7  subs so roster is 18.  There were 23/24 to try-out and I counted 11 Eighth graders on the team.   He just turned 12 in February and is in the sixth grade, but he loves soccer, plays on a travel team.   The coach said at 8:00pm I'll post the final roster on the team site. We pulled it up as a family and his name popped up, he was so happy.....almost in tears.   I remained calm but inside was going crazy.  

Anyway, your advice rings true even not sports related.  Take every "win" you can and make them proud.   

This place is a weird one, it brings out the worst in me sometimes but I just re-read this thread and it can be cathartic as well...a place to vent....knowing good and well you might get made fun of but that's half the charm.  

Good stuff. They rarely have things go perfectly and they grow up fast. Take those wins when you get them. I haven’t always done it when I could. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Looks like we had a special snowflake up in this thread. Someone must have reported my post, because it went poof. :lol:

I thought it was funny.  I even liked it.  :dunno:

7 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Thanks... and everyone knows I :wub: the gheys. So whoever reported it is dumb.

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

More importantly, tell him how proud the GC is of him. And don’t worry, he’ll understand. 😉

Might sound goofy coming from a complete stranger who really knows nothing about your son, but I’m proud of him too. Reading about all the crap he had to go through, I think it’s great that he put in the time/work to get to where he is today. He could have easily gotten discouraged and said screw it. Must get it from his mom. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Must get it from his mom. :thumbsup:

I laughed, but it's more true than you know.  

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

We wouldn't be FFT if we didn't take every chance we could to poke fun.  However, the way the start of this thread was handled, made me very proud to reread. :cheers:

Did we ever get a can size in the op?  <_<

Update!@#!

KSBJr. is now an 8th grader and they won their Middle School Soccer Conference Tournament tonight.  Big azz trophy, dog pile at mid-field, the whole nine.   He starts and plays center midfield and is as happy as I've ever seen him tonight.  He almost lost his life and at least his leg 7 years ago.  I don't do social media but ya'll my internet friends.   

I stood over by myself the last couple minutes in the corner of the field and cried a bit.  I'm a grown azz man too. 

• Like 2

Just now, KSB2424 said:

Update!@#!

KSBJr. is now an 8th grader and they won their Middle School Soccer Conference Tournament tonight.  Big azz trophy, dog pile at mid-field, the whole nine.   He starts and plays center midfield and is as happy as I've ever seen him tonight.  He almost lost his life and at least his  leg 7 years ago.  I don't do social media but ya'll my internet friends.   

I stood over by myself the last couple minutes in the corner of the field and cried a bit.  I'm a grown azz man too. 

Awesome. Happy for you and the kid. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

I am shocked I missed this.  I am sorry he has had to go through all of that. Very happy for you guys. Wonderful updates!

• Like 1

Update!@#!

KSBJr. is now an 8th grader and they won their Middle School Soccer Conference Tournament tonight.  Big azz trophy, dog pile at mid-field, the whole nine.   He starts and plays center midfield and is as happy as I've ever seen him tonight.  He almost lost his life and at least his leg 7 years ago.  I don't do social media but ya'll my internet friends.   

Awesome. Definitely a moment to enjoy as a proud father.  :thumbsup:

My boys also play, but not through school…just club.

13 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Awesome. Definitely a moment to enjoy as a proud father.  :thumbsup:

My boys also play, but not through school…just club.

We play club too, well in NC its called "Challenge" or "Classic".  School sports is still the best though; its their friends they see every day.  

Anyway,  I just love the kids, pull for them all.  I'm the dad when the opponents goalie makes a tremendous save, yell's "Great save buddy" and all my teammates parents stare at me. And I'm just :dunno:Well it was. 

• Like 2

I just re read this thread.  Y'all my people. There were secondary surgeries not even posted about; the growth plate was damaged.  10's of thousands of dollars out of pocket. 6 months in a cast just a year ago for KSBJr. 

I simply appreciate this place for an avenue to vent.   Whilst extreme judgement, its the Geek Club after-all. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update!@#!

Very cool story. I fought back a tear just reading it, but don’t ever tell anyone I said that. 

you do this every game. the kids are used to it by now :dunno:

:P

:cheers:

• Like 1