Sign in to follow this  
bfros

Gordon/Welker vote TOMORROW

Just reported at halftime of the Giants/Lions game:

The NFLPA and NFL will meet tomorrow (Tue) to vote on the new drug policy which (if agreed upon) could reinstate Gordon and Welker immediately. The spokesperson was asked specifically about Gordon and Welker and he affirmed that under the language of the new policy both would be reinstated as soon as tomorrow. Nothing was said about Gordon getting a partial ban versus no ban at all.

Translation: How can we possibly worry about drug abusers when we're over-run by murderers, rapists, and wife beaters!

• Like 1

Translation: How can we possibly worry about drug abusers when we're over-run by murderers, rapists, and wife beaters!

One murderer won 2 Super Bowls, two rapists one multiple Super Bowls, and wife beaters? shyyyyeeeeeiiiittttt...

He also mentioned the owners don't agree on reinstating just those two guys.

I don't know what to think anymore.

It probably doesn't matter what the owners like or don't like, they want this new drug policy, I would think they would have to give in.

One late sticking point is that the league has received complaints and concerns from owners regarding possible reinstatement for recently suspended players such as Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns and Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos, who would not have been suspended under the proposed policy. Those owners were displeased that a new agreement would not necessarily alter the standing of their own suspended players.

Nevertheless, there are numerous unidentified players in the league's substance-abuse program who would benefit from the changes, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11491428/nfl-players-association-vote-revised-drug-policy

So if I am reading this correctly, what they are voting on tomorrow, even if it passed...would not reverse Gordon's suspension...correct?

So if I am reading this correctly, what they are voting on tomorrow, even if it passed...would not reverse Gordon's suspension...correct?

So what exactly are your reading to come away with that statement? Does it say that anywhere in the article? I don't see it...

No, it WOULD reverse the suspension if it passed. At least that's how I remember Mort stating it.

I'm assuming that the reinstatements are part of accepting a new drug policy and not a separate issue with a separate vote at this point.

No, it WOULD reverse the suspension if it passed. At least that's how I remember Mort stating it.

I'm assuming that the reinstatements are part of accepting a new drug policy and not a separate issue with a separate vote at this point.

Oh, ok...this is what I was reading: Those owners were displeased that a new agreement would not necessarily alter the standing of their own suspended players.

Oh, ok...this is what I was reading: Those owners were displeased that a new agreement would not necessarily alter the standing of their own suspended players.

Mind you I am on little sleep and a bit of whisky.

If this is true, it would explain a lot and pretty much mean they will be re-instated:

"The agreement they were punished under actually expired at the end of last season. The agreement they are signing now will be retroactive. The amount of weed in Gordon's blood wouldn't give a suspension now and Welker would be punished under substance abuse instead of PED"

This would also apply to all players suspended under the same policy as Gordon and Welker, but not all players suspended.

If this is true, it would explain a lot and pretty much mean they will be re-instated:

"The agreement they were punished under actually expired at the end of last season. The agreement they are signing now will be retroactive. The amount of weed in Gordon's blood wouldn't give a suspension now and Welker would be punished under substance abuse instead of PED"

Where was this quoted from? "Weed"?

This would also apply to all players suspended under the same policy as Gordon and Welker, but not all players suspended.

Bless us with Gordon!

and........ what about our other bad boy.............. Justin Blackmon.

Stay suspended or not?

The "concern" among certain owners is **not** that Gordon or Welker would be allowed to play...but rather that their own players (lesser players that aren't stars) would be denied the ability to be reinstated. They essentially want parity--i.e., if you're gonna reinstate Gordon, you better reinstate my guy.

That's how I read it. Owners want players to play, obviously.

Stay suspended or not?

His suspension started during last season, so he's still out.

The "concern" among certain owners is **not** that Gordon or Welker would be allowed to play...but rather that their own players (lesser players that aren't stars) would be denied the ability to be reinstated. They essentially want parity--i.e., if you're gonna reinstate Gordon, you better reinstate my guy.

That's how I read it. Owners want players to play, obviously.

Anyone suspended for the same issues as Welker and Gordon would be re-instated, just not EVERYONE suspended, not sure why it's an issue...seems fair.

Gordon better be reinstated. I drafted Hester with my final pick in the 15th round. His rank was down at about 250, but I got him because I am a genius.

It's a league with points for return yards and of course I was hearing about reports of him being utilized on offense.

Gordon's story came out and the only one I could think of dropping was Hester. He did pretty darn well though o.0

Some guy dropped him in my league last week before all of this came out. As soon as I heard about the possible agreement I put my waiver claim in and in a pretty competitive league got him with the 5th ww pick out of 12. If he is allowed to play it may be the best ww pick I have made since snatching up MJD during his breakout year.

I just can't see Gordon getting to play again this year, like someone already mentioned, he was suspended for testing positive last football season.

"Whether or not Gordon is re-instated will depend on what the two sides agree on: allowing players back in that tested positive in the new league year beginning March 11, or players that were ultimately suspended in the new league year. A source told cleveland.com that Gordon tested positive no later than February, which was in the previous league year."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/josh_gordon_could_be_re-instat_1.html

ESPN Cleveland calls Josh Gordon's reinstatement to the NFL "inevitable."

To be clear, ESPN Cleveland has no sources on this and is merely speculating. But a deal between the NFL and the union on a new drug policy could come as soon as this week. As part of that deal, players recently suspended for violations (that would no longer warrant suspensions) are expected to get their bans retroactively reduced or repealed. Gordon would still be facing a two-game suspension for the DWI he got on July 5, but the union doesn't want punishment until due process as part of the new pact. The Browns have not cleaned out Gordon's locker since his 16-game suspension was announced. Sep 9 - 8:57 AM

I would think Prater should be in that mix. Pretty ridiculous that the dude can't have a beer. The NFLPA has to step up.

NFLPA has a conference call scheduled for tonight to hear the proposed drug policy changes and take an official vote.

Ed Werder just confirmed conference call at 2100 EST. proposal will be presented to the 32 team reps for a vote. The question remains, does it contain wording to reduce/remove suspensions for currently suspended players. 17 yes votes need for ratification.

Ed Werder just confirmed conference call at 2100 EST. proposal will be presented to the 32 team reps for a vote. The question remains, does it contain wording to reduce/remove suspensions for currently suspended players. 17 yes votes need for ratification.

We already know the Broncos and Browns vote so only 15 to go!

Stay suspended or not?

Wow, hadn't thought about him?!

Now if only one of the Browns WRs were to get released....

Too funny!!

We already know the Broncos and Browns vote so only 15 to go!

There are a lot of players I'm sure suspended for similar offenses, just lesser known players...hopefully on 15 other teams! :)