Sign in to follow this  
gpann101

Devonta Freeman Hold or cut?

I have this guy on bench holding onto with high expectations. Run game in Atlanta has been suspect to say the least. Anyone think that his time may come since the backfield has been underwhelming?

Why do you still have him ?

14 team keeper league

If there is nothing better he still has some value in a deep keeper imo.

What is the contract status for the rest of the backfield in Atlanta going forward.

This is one dude i was right on (to go along with a lot of wrong). No way was i taking him even if it was my last pick. Dude just screams mediocre.

Wow. Now that's patience. I drafted him late in my keeper league after drinking the Kool-Aid too. I dropped him after week 4 (or maybe even 3). While you can never say never, I really don't have much confidence that he's going to be roster worthy at all. I'm much happier having replaced him and Tavon Austin with Crowell and McKinnon a while back.

If there is nothing better he still has some value in a deep keeper imo.

What is the contract status for the rest of the backfield in Atlanta going forward.

Per Rotoworld:

Steven Jackson

3/14/2013: Signed a three-year, $12 million contract. The deal contains $4 million guaranteed -- a $3.5 million signing bonus and $500,000 of Jackson's first-year base salary. 2014: $3 million, 2015: $3.75 million, 2016: Free Agent

Jacquizz Rogers

7/28/2011: Signed a four-year, $2.23 million contract. The deal included a $191,000 signing bonus. 2014: $1.389 million, 2015: Free Agent

Antone Smith

3/5/2013: Signed a two-year, $1.425 million contract. The deal included a $65,000 signing bonus. 2014: $730,000, 2015: Free Agent

Devonta Freeman

5/22/2014: Signed a four-year, $2.7 million contract.

If those contract details are correct, Rogers and Smith will be free agents next year, and Jackson could be released for a cap hit of $3.5 M / 3 = $1.17 M. As a keeper league owner of Freeman, I am holding on. Sure would be nice for Freeman to show a bit more, though.

I drafted Freeman at 1.10 in a dynasty league. I hadn't intended to use him and I'm going to hold him all year regardless but I'm a bit disappointed he hasn't gotten more production in his limited use. (I also have Smith in a different dynasty league as a waiver claim). I don't know. I didn't pick him for this year. Atlanta has a joke of an O-line, maybe when I finally do need to lean on him in a year or three, they'll have gotten around to fixing it.

I wish he'd show more. Smith proves even in Atlanta, it can be done. I hadn't realized so it's nice to see this is Smith's contract year; hopefully he walks.