Sign in to follow this  
seh2000

Anyone buying Fisher's comment about Zac Stacy?

Comments on ESPN site that Stacy may get 20 carries the next game...damn cat and mouse....he was sent to our waiver wire after Sunday...is he dung?

Comments on ESPN site that Stacy may get 20 carries the next game...damn cat and mouse....he was sent to our waiver wire after Sunday...is he dung?

... and Lawrence McCutcheon might get 35 :music_guitarred:

it's coachspeak of the highest order ... can't keep the rook hungry, especially after his fumble, if you crown his ass right now :dunno:

i fully expect Tre to be the lead dog going forward, no question. this kid has the POP and passes the eyeball test in spades.

that being said ... Benny, not Stacy, will cap his production, seeing as how they love BC in the passing game, and 2 minute/hurry up offense. the kid needs to shore up his game in those aspects (pass pro) before he becomes a 3 down guy.

but i would expect 15-18 carries per game for Mason going forward ... anything he adds via receptions is massive gravy.

- and Benny remains a decent flex in ppr for the time being -

What you are seeing in St. Louis may have something to do with Fisher's seat getting warm. Not hot, but certainly warm. He was called out in our local media, in a big way, after that 49'ers loss. We had them on the ropes, as we did Dallas, and couldn't put them away. Many of our Sportswriters and analysts began saying Fisher was too devoted to older players and refused to give the young guys a chance. What happened in Seattle the following week? We had six rookies start the game.... The media weighs heavily on coaches in St. Louis. We're an incredibly small market with only 318,416 residents actually living inside the City limits. Those numbers are from the 2013 city concensus and are down from the 2010 concensus. If you add in all the surrounding counties, we aren't even 3 million in total, and that is taking into consideration we have some VERY large counties. So, the media plays a big role in our sports here, much larger than most cities. We have only one newspaper and one real sports station on the radio.

When the guys from the newspaper begin writing daily about how they hate watching a "plodding" running back like Stacy, and the team is losing consistently, the head coach had better pay attention. He apparently did. The media is crying for a combo of Cunningham and Mason. I suspect Stacy will still get some carries, but unless the coach turns this team around quickly, he's going to have to give in a little. Our home attendance is nill. There are as many fans of the other teams as there are our own. Ten years of a non winning season will do that to a fan base. Not just a losing team, but a dreadfully bad team.

Fisher's job isn't in any danger this season. The fan base is interested in Mason, Davis, Quick and especially Donald at defensive tackle. We've been in most games and even led in most, so the feeling is we aren't "that" far off from an 8-8 record. That still sucks, but it's our first goal.

Sorry for the long rant, but if you want to know who is likely to get the carries in St. Louis, my advice is to read the St. Louis Post Dispatch, or check out their website on stltoday.com the morning of the games. Last week they had a hissy fit for Mason to get some carries. He got them. They threw a fit to make sure Davis remained our QB, and he is. Fisher was against both of these ideas and you can read his comments on various sports sites. Right now, he is the head coach, but he doesn't have the power he did two seasons ago. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

After running Mason 18 times and getting the biggest Rams win in years he is going to limit Mason and go back to Stacy?

Methinks not. Mason could be a momentum changer for his team. Fisher will ride him all the way like Eddie George. This kid's got it.

I cut Stacy. One pick away in my draft from getting DeMarco Murray instead too. :(

Thinking of cutting Benny Cunningham too but no one worth picking up right now.

I am buying he wants to keep whatever self esteem stacy still has but as far as winning goes if he does anything other than lean on mason he would be admitting defeat and showing he is a bad coach. Fisher may need stacy later in the season but right now there is no way he is the better back. Plus fisher is a bellcow back and has always been one. That is not going to change just with the changing of the guard in stl. He says hot hand but mason has the hot hand and the better game.

complete trash, stacy is gone and I see mason getting the bulk. could be wrong of course but why play inferior players? Coaches really arent the brightest sometimes.

Mason had 18 carries for 85 yard with one of the carry going for 35. Not sure why Stacy is getting the demotion. He carried them in the first half of the cowboys game where he was getting over 5.5 yards per carry. He was also catching passes out of the backfield. The cowboys had no answer but instead of giving the ball to the hot hand, Cunningham started getting touches. Everything fell apart from there for Stacy and the Rams. Rams lost and for some reason Stacy got the blame for it. He was never again featured like that first half of that cowboys game.

• Like 1

I am not buying it for one second. Here is why...

Mason is averaging 5.4 yards per carry to Stacy's 3.9 and Cunningham's 3.8

Mason has 2 runs longer than 20 yards on 23 carries. Stacy and Cunningham COMBINED have 0 runs longer than 20 yards on 97 carries.

And mind you that all of Mason's carries have come against SF and SEA.

Lots of people are worried about "game flow" affecting the St. Louis running game. St. Louis RBs have combined over 20 carries in every game except for week 1 against Minnesota. St. Louis has had rushing TDs in 3 straight weeks.

People can worry about RBBC and schedule, but I think based on Mason's talent, and the fact the St. Louis hasn't been blown out with the exception of week 1 (a game in which Shaun Hill started, and an unprepared Austin Davis came in) that Mason's number could resemble Stacy's from the second half of last year (800 total yards 6-7 TD) over a 9 game span. Unless Mason has a severe case of fumblitis I think you could expect very solid RB2 numbers ROS.
People dismissing Tre Mason either:
1) Have only looked at box scores, and believe Jeff Fisher's "coach speak"
2) Own Zac Stacy
3) Missed out on Mason on the WW
The video and stats (which admittedly are a small sample size) back up Tre Mason.

Not dismissing the fact that Mason is talented but the RAMS will be playing from behind alot.

I read he was only back there for 6 passing snaps with 0 request to PASS block.

Maybe not this season but Mason might be able to show his potential but not a solid weekly start.

Mason had 18 carries for 85 yard with one of the carry going for 35. Not sure why Stacy is getting the demotion. He carried them in the first half of the cowboys game where he was getting over 5.5 yards per carry. He was also catching passes out of the backfield. The cowboys had no answer but instead of giving the ball to the hot hand, Cunningham started getting touches. Everything fell apart from there for Stacy and the Rams. Rams lost and for some reason Stacy got the blame for it. He was never again featured like that first half of that cowboys game.

His longest carries was only 28 yards not 35.

But the bigger point is why does it matter? Do you know how many runs over 20 yards Stacy has this year? ZERO in 61 carries.

Mason had TWO runs over 20 yards in only 23 carries.

How is this a knock on Mason? If Zac Stacy was busting off 25+ yard runs he might have gotten more carries last week or he might actually get the mythical 25 carries that Fisher is coach-speaking about.

Not dismissing the fact that Mason is talented but the RAMS will be playing from behind alot.

I read he was only back there for 6 passing snaps with 0 request to PASS block.

Maybe not this season but Mason might be able to show his potential but not a solid weekly start.

That's the thing... The Rams with the exception of week 1, HAVEN'T been playing from behind. In games against the Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers, and Seahawks (4 of the better teams in the NFC) they didn't have to give up on the run. In three of those 4 games they LED for most of the first half.

I cut Stacy. One pick away in my draft from getting DeMarco Murray instead too. :(

Thinking of cutting Benny Cunningham too but no one worth picking up right now.

2 picks away. Murray, Antonio, You.

Murray wasn't falling :P

Better to have missed Murray by one than to have had him on your do not draft list.... Doh.....

As for Mason, he is clearly the superior talent, but Fisher is a jackass of a head coach. He's really old school and doesn't understand the modern concept of offense. No doubt he's a great defensive guy, when he's the Coordinator (take last season as an example), but his offenses are always pedestrian, at best. He wanted to keep Davis off the field simply because he does something Fisher hates; He audibles. Fisher is a pompous ass that needs to be a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. I've posted this before, but the rookies ONLY got a chance against Seattle because the newspaper and media here were calling for it and trying hard to put him on the "warm" seat. Turns out some of our rookies are halfway decent.

Coach Speak 101

Fisher said that out of respect for Stacy. Stacy isn't a happy camper these days. On Sunday, he was the first one back to the locker room and was gone before the media showed up. No need for Fisher to pile on and say publicly that Stacy is now the #3 RB (which is what appears to be the case).