Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Obummer solves Iran

Iran agrees to nuclear restrictions in framework deal with world powers

LAUSANNE, Switzerland Iran agreed in principle to accept significant restrictions on its nuclear facilities for at least a decade and submit to international inspections under a framework deal announced Thursday after months of contentious negotiations with the United States and other world powers.

In return, international sanctions that have battered Irans economy would be lifted in phases if it meets its commitments, meaning it could take a year or less for relief from the penalties to kick in.

The framework agreement, a milestone in negotiations that began 12 years ago, is not a final deal. But it creates parameters for three more months of negotiations over technical details and some matters that remain unresolved. Any one of those issues could doom a comprehensive agreement. Among them is the pace at which sanctions will be suspended.

The agreement includes almost all the restrictions on Irans nuclear facilities, laboratories, mines and mills that the United States had sought in recent months, although it initially aimed for even tougher restrictions.

Irans apparent acceptance of so many conditions sought by the United States could give the Obama administration a tool to fend off critics in Congress who want to impose new sanctions to wring more concessions from the Iranians. The White House fears such steps could scuttle the talks and prompt Tehran to resume its nuclear program at full tilt. Iran claims its nuclear program is for peaceful, civilian uses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/negotiators-hold-marathon-all-night-session-in-last-ditch-effort-for-agreement/2015/04/02/68334c88-d8b2-11e4-bf0b-f648b95a6488_story.html

Can we go ahead and crown Obummer king already? :first:

I don't know the terms of the deal, nor would I pretend to understand the full implications if I did. But rushing to get a nuclear arms deal agreement with Iran sounds like a disaster. Brokered by a former community organizer. Of all the things Obama could screw up, this one is the most dangerous.

God save the Earth.

I don't know the terms of the deal, nor would I pretend to understand the full implications if I did.

Might oughta stopped there :doh:

Might oughta stopped there :doh:

Except for the two things I fully understand - the deal was rushed, and it was brokered by a community organizer.

When it comes to nuclear weapons and Iran, that ought to scare everyone, including Obama supporters.

Except for the two things I fully understand - the deal was rushed, and it was brokered by a community organizer.

When it comes to nuclear weapons and Iran, that ought to scare everyone, including Obama supporters.

Rushed? Article said its been twelve years in the making.

And you're right, he was a community organizer...Before he became the head of Harvard Law Review, then a constitutional law professor, then a state legislator, then a US Senator, and then leader of the free world for the past seven years :doh:

then a US Senator

As far as being President of the US goes, that's the only experience worth mentioning he had going in - 3 years in the Senate.

I'm not RP. I don't normally go on Obama rants, but Obama's rushed nuclear deal makes me nervous. And yes, it was rushed. It was not a 12-year negotiation.

• Like 1

As far as being President of the US goes, that's the only experience worth mentioning he had going in - 3 years in the Senate.

I'm not RP. I don't normally go on Obama rants, but Obama's rushed nuclear deal makes me nervous. And yes, it was rushed. It was not a 12-year negotiation.

Yes, he should have proceeded with more haste. I don't know why this guy can't be more pragmatic like his predecessor. That guy knew how to deal with that part of the world.

Yes, he should have proceeded with more haste. I don't know why this guy can't be more pragmatic like his predecessor. That guy knew how to deal with that part of the world.

Bush made mistakes and I griped about them on this forum for years... fiscally irrisponsible, terrible post-war decisons, etc. I've also praised some of Obama decisions. I'm not biased. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Saying this was rushed shows a ton of ignorance.

I always considered this the type negotiation that would need at least 13 years of work. So when I heard of a deal being reached, I was prepared to jump in and agree with Gobble that this feels rushed.

But then I read that the deal isn't even final, and all that has happened is they've agreed on parameters to negotiate further on a deal that would kick in in about a year. I now feel that the pace seems reasonable 👍

I know all of the prior ME accords have failed miserably, but this one is bound to be a huge success. :thumbsup:

I don't know the terms of the deal, nor would I pretend to understand the full implications if I did. But rushing to get a nuclear arms deal agreement with Iran sounds like a disaster. Brokered by a former community organizer. Of all the things Obama could screw up, this one is the most dangerous.

God save the Earth.

You don't know anything about the deal, yet it's one of the most dangerous things he's done.

:rolleyes:

You probably should refuse to have any of the clinical tests I've developed over the years. I'm a former burger flipper and warehouse clerk so obviously I don't know what I'm doing.

I understand that anything other than total dismantling of Iran's nuclear capacity won't satisfy a lot of people, especially the conservatards, but for anyone who favors diplomacy over military intervention whenever possible, these steps are important, especially when dealing with a sovereign nation where the nuclear horse is already out of the barn.

Seven key points of the deal as it stands now:

Washington (CNN)Six world powers led by the United States announced on Thursday a framework deal with Iran limiting its nuclear program. The agreement outlines major points to be flesh out in a final deal, the details of which have to be worked out by the end of June. Negotiators in Lausanne, Switzerland, twice extended the talks past Tuesday's deadline for a framework because of deep differences between the parties. So what exactly did they finally agree to? Here are 7 key points, as conveyed by U.S. officials.

1. Centrifuges

Iran would have to reduce its total of about 19,000 centrifuges -- 10,000 of which are still spinning today -- down to 6,104 under the deal, with only 5,060 allowed to enrich uranium over the next 10 years. Centrifuges are tube-shaped machines used to enrich uranium, the material necessary for nuclear power -- and nuclear bombs.

2. Uranium enrichment

Iran's centrifuges will only enrich uranium to 3.67% -- enough for civil use to power parts of the country, but not enough to build a nuclear bomb. That agreement lasts 15 years. And Tehran has agreed not to build any new uranium enrichment facilities over that period as well. The 3.67% is a major decline, and it follows Iran's move to water down its stockpile of 20% enriched uranium last year. In addition, Iran will reduce its current stockpile of 10,000 kilograms of low-enriched uranium to 300 kilograms for 15 years.

3. Breakout time

The period of time that it would take for Iran to acquire the material it needs to make one nuclear weapon, currently assessed at two to three months, would be extended to about one year under the deal. That year-long breakout period would be in place for at least 10 years.

4. Fordow facility

Iran's Fordow nuclear reactor would stop enriching uranium for at least 15 years. It will not have fissile material at the facility, but it will be able to keep 1,000 centrifuges there. Fordo, one of the country's biggest reactors, is buried more than 200 feet under the side of a mountain and was hidden from the international community until the U.S. revealed it in 2009.

5. Research and development

Iran can continue its research and development on enrichment, but that work will be limited to keep the country to its breakout time frame of one year. Though Iran will be required to make changes at a number of its facilities -- including reducing centrifuges and rebuilding a heavy water reactor in Arak -- the country will get to maintain its current facilities.

6. Inspections

Iran will be required to provide inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog, access to all of its declared facilities so that the agency can ensure there is no potential for military-related developments. That includes access to Parchin, an Iranian military facility related to its nuclear program. Western countries have been seeking unfettered access throughout Iran, not just declared facilities, as Iran has previously conducted nuclear work in secret.

7. Sanctions lifted

The United States and the European Union would lift their nuclear-related sanctions on the Iranian economy -- a priority for Iran -- after a U.N. watchdog verifies it has taken key steps. If there are violations, the sanctions will snap back into place. U.N. sanctions will also be lifted when Iran completes its nuclear-related steps, though some peripheral restrictions will be contained in a new Security Council resolution. International reductions in purchases of Iranian oil and increased isolation of the Middle Eastern country had squeezed its economy in recent years, and the lifting of those sanctions could bring the country major financial rewards.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/politics/iran-nuclear-deal-main-points-of-agreement/index.html

• Like 1

I know all of the prior ME accords have failed miserably, but this one is bound to be a huge success. :thumbsup:

winnah

Nice thread title and OP from a person who whines about trolling and tries to get people banned for doing it. :dunno:

I'm sure leading off like that will garner you the desired discourse you claim to want. <sarcasm>

The first day of John Kerry's presidential campaign

Nice thread title and OP from a person who whines about trolling and tries to get people banned for doing it. :dunno:

I'm sure leading off like that will garner you the desired discourse you claim to want. <sarcasm>

Still butthurt over that thumping I gave you in the RFRA thread? :(

Still butthurt over that thumping I gave you in the RFRA thread? :(

That sounds like something RP would say.....as does the thread title and trolling OP.

Congratulations, your metamorphisis is complete. :thumbsup:

That sounds like something RP would say.....as does the thread title and trolling OP.

Lighten up Francis, just having a little fun with a serious subject.

When I'm posting ten of these a day then feel free to come in with your usual holier than thou attitude :thumbsup:

And you have no problem whatsoever that RP does it day and night. So don't be a hypocrite and spout off about it now.

You don't know anything about the deal, yet it's one of the most dangerous things he's done.

:rolleyes:

Screw up on immigration or ObamaCare, the US will pay the price. Screw up a nuclear deal with Iran, and the entire world could suffer the consequences. So yes, this is definitely the most dangerous thing Obama has done.
  • Like 1

I wonder what would have happened if Saddam Husein was still in power? Would he have gone to war with Iran again?

Screw up on immigration or ObamaCare, the US will pay the price. Screw up a nuclear deal with Iran, and the entire world could suffer the consequences. So yes, this is definitely the most dangerous thing Obama has done.

A...is it over? Again...you don't know the deal at all.

B. Is Obama doing this on his own? Nope...not that either.

And you have no problem whatsoever that RP does it day and night. So don't be a hypocrite and spout off about it now.

Let me break this down for you.....

I do not constantly whine about political trolling.

I did not lead a brigade to leave the board and create a new one because of political trolling.

I do not try to get others banned for political trolling.

What I did do, was call out a person that does those three things and yet at the same time starts this thread and has others like it.

Hopefully that clears it up. :)

• Like 1

Obama caves in to terrorists, allows Iran nuclear weapons after he is out of office!

Look...someone else who buys into the right wing crap rather than understanding anything the deal has been about (and its not even a full deal yet and does not quite do what you claim it does).

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Are you saying the US shouldn't even bother with a diplomatic solution over the Iran nuclear crisis since the stakes are so high? Doesn't that seem a little counterintuitive? You negotiate precisely because the price of doing nothing is so extraordinary.

And if you don't think a diplomatic angle should've been pursued, then what's the alternative? Straight to war? With a nation that actually has a decent amount of firepower?

Let me break this down for you.....

I do not constantly whine about political trolling.

I did not lead a brigade to leave the board and create a new one because of political trolling.

I do not try to get others banned for political trolling.

What I did do, was call out a person that does those three things and yet at the same time starts this thread and has others like it.

Hopefully that clears it up. :)

Let me straighten you out...

You only hate political trolling when it's a liberal.

You're a pussie hack who loves pretending he's a voice of reason.

You're sweater vest is still the gayest thing ever posted here.

Hope that clears a few things up for you.

Let me straighten you out...

You only hate political trolling when it's a liberal.

You're a pussie hack who loves pretending he's a voice of reason.

You're sweater vest is still the gayest thing ever posted here.

Hope that clears a few things up for you.

Stay Classy. :thumbsup:

And if you don't think a diplomatic angle should've been pursued, then what's the alternative? Straight to war? With a nation that actually has a decent amount of firepower?

Diplomacy is always the best first step. I didn't bash the specifics of the deal and I didn't bash Obama for doing it.

I hope it turns out to be a great deal for the US and the world, but the fact that Iran loves it, Israel hates it, and Obama brokered it, doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

Diplomacy is always the best first step. I didn't bash the specifics of the deal and I didn't bash Obama for doing it.

I hope it turns out to be a great deal for the US and the world, but the fact that Iran loves it, Israel hates it, and Obama brokered it, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Iran has to gain something from it or there would be no incentive to deal at all. Does it give Iran too much? Certainly a fair question but I have heard no specific criticisms on that front.

That Netanyahu hates it is unfortunate but not a deal-killer in and of itself. Netanyahu gets his political power from saber rattling so, imo, he would not approve of any diplomatic solution at all no matter how good the deal.

Look...someone else who buys into the right wing crap rather than understanding anything the deal has been about (and its not even a full deal yet and does not quite do what you claim it does).

It actually does do that. Obama loves to kick the can down the road and let the next guy/old b!tch deal with it. And I know, all presidents do this. :rolleyes:

It actually does do that. Obama loves to kick the can down the road and let the next guy/old b!tch deal with it. And I know, all presidents do this. :rolleyes:

So propose a diplomatic solution that Iran would accept that completely dismantles their nuclear capacity forever so that no other presidents have to worry about it ever again.

And if you say sanctions were working, well, you'd be wrong, because they were well on their way to developing a bomb with all the sanctions that have been in place all of these years.