Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Six-Nine Commentary**

True dat. I just meant Slaton wasn't really a bust. He kind of got the shaft, IMO...ie didn't get a fair shake.

This is true. Unfortunately, I wasn't given any points for his potential. :-/

I was hoping for Romo to fall, but Tannehill has made pretty good strides, and though I don't think he has the upside of Stafford or Romo, he should finish as a number 1 QB.

I was hoping for Romo to fall, but Tannehill has made pretty good strides, and though I don't think he has the upside of Stafford or Romo, he should finish as a number 1 QB.

I'd say much more upside. They have both peaked and trying to hold ground.

I went into this round hoping for Stafford or Romo. When Shovelshit took Stafford, I was concerned I'd get neither. I knew WW was going to take a QB, I just didn't know who. So......... I waited. As soon as he took Manning I couldn't hit the "select" button fast enough with Romo.

My thinking is three-fold; one I wanted 2 top QBs in this draft (I hope I have 2 of the top 10, not sure), second was Wilson will have weeks his production is down and I wanted a QB who could put up good numbers and three, I wanted to be a little pre-emptive and take one more "top 10" QB off the board. I have my 3 RBs and WRs, so this IMO was a good time to nab a high-scoring player who may out score my #1` QB many weeks. I gave up some bench strength so it may come back and bite me.

Tannehill was my next thought had WW taken Romo, so he is a good QB1 for you V4E with some excellent new receivers.

i've got Eli above Romo, Tannehill, others still on the board and a few already selected.

I can expand later on but I don't think the resurgence in his numbers last year was a blip. I also really like him in BB format as he will have some very big weeks.

We know each other so well at this point that the QB run this round was VERY predictable. It has allowed some quality players to slip through to the next 6-8 picks.

I also really like him in BB format as he will have some very big weeks.

While we are not supposed to consider this format when drafting, I certainly understand your reasoning on this.

Trying to figure out everyone's beef is with me taking Stafford. Good natured ribbing or an accusation of dirty pool? I can assure you that the nature of this league doesn't allow for stockpiling players or trying to screw over the guy behind you. It was hard to take him as there are 3 other players I'm hoping make it back to me. In the end, the occasional monster games he'll toss out now and then were head and shoulders above the other options. I also have a tad of doubt about Ryan, which Stafford should cover. Dan taking Roethlisberger earlier in the draft also had me scrambling a bit. Was hoping to pair him with Brown. Guess I'll have to see how Stafford/Tate works out.

I certainly focus on best ball elements in these middle rounds...

Trying to figure out everyone's beef is with me taking Stafford. Good natured ribbing or an accusation of dirty pool? I can assure you that the nature of this league doesn't allow for stockpiling players or trying to screw over the guy behind you. It was hard to take him as there are 3 other players I'm hoping make it back to me. In the end, the occasional monster games he'll toss out now and then were head and shoulders above the other options. I also have a tad of doubt about Ryan, which Stafford should cover. Dan taking Roethlisberger earlier in the draft also had me scrambling a bit. Was hoping to pair him with Brown. Guess I'll have to see how Stafford/Tate works out.

I love having two quality quarterbacks as everyone knows. I would have done the same thing in your situation. There's not a thing wrong with what you did.

no beef with your stafford selection. I was commenting earlier that I don't personally like taking 2 QB's in any type of league within the first 8 rounds... 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE.. taking a backup QB before a backup at RB or WR or before filling out one of those positions is not my personal preference but with the format of this league I can understand it more than in a standard redraft.

i guess my BEEF would be I was hoping to get him myself :D

While we are not supposed to consider this format when drafting, I certainly understand your reasoning on this.

I certainly focus on best ball elements in these middle rounds...

my BB comment was more of a secondary reasoning. I have Eli rated higher regardless.

I can expand a bit, I suppose. While I like Romo, he is more injury prone and Dallas saw last year that they can win running the ball behind that offensive line. Now maybe if Randle / DMAC can't come close to replicating what Murray did, then Romo might have to sling it more but I just see them lessening Romo's workload. some of his offensive weapons getting older...

Eli has the emerging ODB, a slightly improved O-line and some added weapons on offense. If Cruz is ready week 1 thats just icing on the cake.

I always wait on QB... pretty much ALWAYS, Some years it works, some years it doesn't. Years ago it worked with Eli. then it worked with Peyton. Last year my guy didn't work so much. (not specifically talking about this league, just in general with all my leagues)

No beef from me as I selected my second QB in the same round as you. I happen to think it was a marvelous selection and I applaud you for making it. As I stated, I would have taken him if you hadn't. One should draft the team which they believe gives them the best shot at winning.

The true advantage of this June Mock is all the insightful and truthful feedback you get on our selections. That is what makes this draft one of the most important events I look forward to every year. Thanks everyone!!

Furthermore, I would never want to draft with a guy who cared about not screwing up my draft. I fully expect you guys to screw up my plans in this draft and would be disappointed with anything less.

I guess I don't know where the beef is and who was looking to complain???

I was about to take Brees and Cam a few rounds back and then just sit back and giggle A BIT.

Absolutely the least surprising pick of the draft considering my team was the only one w/o a QB. I was hoping Tannehill and Rivers would make it back around so I could take both at the 8-9 turn, but I'm pretty happy at least one made it to me. I don't mind "settling" for Rivers, who is in a contract year and could easily do better than last year, when he finished ninth in this scoring system. He should have an improved running game backing him up, a healthy Woodhead and I imagine Keenan Allen will bounce back. Furthermore, I think Rivers has seven kids. He knows he needs to perform to keep food on the table in a high-cost city like San Diego.

I think Wallace is exceptional value here, esp. in a BB format. I don't know MIN WR will end up leading the team, but I suspect Wallace will have a couple 125-yard, two-TD games.

Boys, I doubt I'll be around a computer anytime before 11 am ET this morning. In case that happens, I'll send my picks to Mike K. (Fumble picks right before me, so I don't think it makes sense to send them to him.)

Here guys. Long night so grabbing a cup of coffee and will pick shortly.

As always, i will be actively watching and waiting all day, until its time to leave for home of course.

Was wondering when Thomas might go. He is another one of those players who seemed great when in the right setup, as with Manning and Denver, but I doubt he can go out on his own elsewhere and have any impact. My gut tells me that he disappears from the field by mid season and is never on another NFL roster after this year. His ADP is about 6.12, so in terms of where taken a great value in June.

Was wondering when Thomas might go. He is another one of those players who seemed great when in the right setup, as with Manning and Denver, but I doubt he can go out on his own elsewhere and have any impact. My gut tells me that he disappears from the field by mid season and is never on another NFL roster after this year. His ADP is about 6.12, so in terms of where taken a great value in June.

Thomas has talent. Manning obviously got the most out of him, but given the physical gifts and that young QBs usually love their TEs I have zero belief/concern that he'll disappear.

Pass-catching TEs are the trend in the NFL now. Why would your gut tell you he doesn't play again :huh:

Thomas has talent. Manning obviously got the most out of him, but given the physical gifts and that young QBs usually love their TEs I have zero belief/concern that he'll disappear.

Pass-catching TEs are the trend in the NFL now. Why would your gut tell you he doesn't play again :huh:

It's one of those things where I take in all that I see and know, I look at the player and the situation and start making subjective judgements on what I think they are capable of. In this instance a guy moving outside of a system and away from a player that made him special. Can he be special outside of that environment? My perception is that it is not likely, and most emphatically so in Jacksonville. So perhaps the answer is nothing based on stats, or physical gifts, but on a pure guy feeling that this is not the right thing for a guy like Thomas.

I see what you're saying. Where a system can make a nobody into somebody. They get big money elsewhere and then fade away. A few QBs like Scott Mitchell always come to mind, and to a lesser degree I saw it with NE (Patten, Branch). The thing that differentiates Thomas for me is that he had talent coming into the NFL. There were expectations with him. If he was still in DEN, he'd be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He goes to JAX and drops to the end of the 8th. I'll take that for a team that will likely still have to throw a lot to catch up in games. And Thomas will still cause match up problems regardless of QB.

I see what you're saying. Where a system can make a nobody into somebody. They get big money elsewhere and then fade away. A few QBs like Scott Mitchell always come to mind, and to a lesser degree I saw it with NE (Patten, Branch). The thing that differentiates Thomas for me is that he had talent coming into the NFL. There were expectations with him. If he was still in DEN, he'd be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He goes to JAX and drops to the end of the 8th. I'll take that for a team that will likely still have to throw a lot to catch up in games. And Thomas will still cause match up problems regardless of QB.

:thumbsup:

9.01 - Allen Robinson ... There were a few other options I considered here but eventually decided on Robinson despite taking his running mate (Orange Julius) the pick before due to his potential. Before getting hurt last season he was on pace for 80-900-3 as a rookie, and I assume those TD numbers would have gone up as his QB got more comfortable in the redzone with Robinson. I don't expect a huge increase on those stats but like him for 90-1150-7, easily worth a 9th round pick and my WR3 slot.

Plus he just got paid.. will he get lazy? Without Manning pushing him?

Plus he just got paid.. will he get lazy? Without Manning pushing him?

Valid question, my main concern is how he handles the abundance of adversity he will now find more so than him getting lazy, but I do see your point as well.

If I am understanding Doug correctly, I think he sent Mike a list for this next pick and thus Mike will be making the pick when he shows up. I will e-mail Mike to remind him that Doug is up.

Valid question, my main concern is how he handles the abundance of adversity he will now find more so than him getting lazy, but I do see your point as well.

I take motivation after paydays much more into account than I used to. with all the health talk and players retiring early...

I know nfl contracts are not guaranteed but it makes me wonder which players are motivated to truely be great and which are motivated to make money for a few years skating by and then get out young and healthy

There are some WRs dropping in this draft that are shocking in terms of where they have been typically drafted in the past. Almost pulled the trigger on one here, but something held me back. Maybe it was that "gut" thing that Ray is talking about... :unsure:

There are some WRs dropping in this draft that are shocking in terms of where they have been typically drafted in the past. Almost pulled the trigger on one here, but something held me back. Maybe it was that "gut" thing that Ray is talking about... :unsure:

I agree Fumble. Some excellent value out there still for WR 3/4. Will be interesting to see how they fall out and how many last until rounds 10/11 also.

As for LaFell........ I like him, his ADP was round 9, but again, like running backs, he plays for Bill Bellicheat and I just can't get myself to trust any New England players other than Gronk. Talk me off the NE cliff here!

Last night, I did a quick comparison of Gronk vs. Bennett/Gates (my two TEs now) from last year, taking out the scoring for all the players for Gronk's Week 10 bye. Although it was PPR scoring, I found it noteworthy that Bennett/Gates outscored Gronk in a best-ball format. I understand Gates is going to hit the wall one of these seasons, but haven't we been saying that for about five years now? Not only does this pick insulate me against poor production/injury at a position where there is plenty of the former, but it should/could also very well start a bit of a run/panic at the position since there are fewer good options than openings; about half the league doesn't have a tight end yet.

That gut thing is usually on target, kept us from being eaten by predators in the past :D

I think he offense and qb situations have really suppressed those guys values. Still funny to me that guys like smith and boldin went ahead but that's what a down year or two can do.

Normally I avoid rookie WRs, but Agholor projects very similar to Jeremy Maclin, who had a career year in Kelly's offense last year.

With V4E taking Agholor, it made my decision very easy.

Smith in a BB format, or even a PPR format, should be able to streach the field some, Boldin is a year older and Kapernick is focusing on getting the ball down field more. Therefore, Smith in the 9th is good value IMO.

Man, I was debating between Agholor and Smith (so I like your pick V4E!) here all evening along with possibly one other WR, but Smith it is.