Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Draft Commentary: Rounds 10-16

I wouldn't have drafted a defense this early except for what I have remaining as needs. It's really fairly moot, but a historical observation makes the Jets the most consistent team at getting 3+ defensive TDs over the last 6-7 years. And now their defense is actually really good again.

perhaps someone should chance the "whitewonder is up" from the draft thread?

perhaps someone should chance the "whitewonder is up" from the draft thread?

Will do. Hey, it's Friday... :)

Not that we are go8ng anywhere this weekend but maybe I'll send a list of kickers to remote

I will gladly take any and all lists for picks this weekend...

Yeah I ran out and forgot. Tucker got sniped and I had parkey two so I'll go with 3

Why are people taking 5 kickers in front of Tucker? Am I just over-thinking that with his great leg and the changes made, he will be more valuable? I see Venitari with Indy, but I would appreciate hearing others thoughts so I can use them in my evaluation for my money-leagues.

And........ I know, it's Kickers!! (what else am I doing today)

Why are people taking 5 kickers in front of Tucker? Am I just over-thinking that with his great leg and the changes made, he will be more valuable? I see Venitari with Indy, but I would appreciate hearing others thoughts so I can use them in my evaluation for my money-leagues.

And........ I know, it's Kickers!! (what else am I doing today)

kickers are a crap shoot. I once did the research and found its very rare that the top kicker from the previous year will repeat as top kicker. Not that this matters, as Gostkowski went 1st overall. I like Tucker a lot and I think he is a target of mine in what I call "normal scoring systems" where 40+ yarders are 4 points and 50+ yarders are 5 points, however all field goals in this no hassle league are 3 points, regardless of length.

in a sense it almost makes more sense to target the kickers in the highest scoring offenses where as in other leagues you might want a kicker with a solid offense that struggles in the redzone... Baltimore could fit this bill. I don't know exactly how they do in the redzone but we know they lost TSmith, SSmith is a year older, another guy cant stay on the field but they added Trestman, Perriman and a rookie tight end. I think tucker is the perfect redraft and dynasty kicker in the scoring format I mentioned above.

Then again I could also go on and on about how the PPG differential between the top kicker (if you can even correctly identify that guy) and kickers 12-14 is really pretty minimal in most years and in leagues where you are not required to draft a kicker, you should always opt to take an extra positional player and wait and see how camp and preseason shakes out. You can cut you most dead weight position player for a kicker prior to week 1.

In almost any other format, Ill take my defense before my kicker (if i take a kicker at all) and guys who like to stream defenses can take the same approach as with kickers and not draft one at all.

Actually . . . I want the kicker on the team designed to stall. This year, Blair Walsh is the guy I WANTED. Minnesota has a stud at RB, but coming back from not playing for a year; that combined with a rookie QB - a good one, mind you - suggests that red zone troubles could plague them. That equates to . . . lots of field goal attempts.

I took Barth due to DEN's offense. They don't exactly stall in the redzone a whole bunch but they do get there a lot or close to it. The thin air also makes longer attempts a little easier so the theory is they don't have to swing at it so hard, maintaining accuracy. And for the 5 games Barth took over he went 12ppg, 2 higher than Goskowski who finished just under 10ppg.

I had Vinatieri, Parkey and then Tucker based on the scoring I saw in the rules post that all FGs were worth three points. Most of the leagues I play in have a scoring system like the one WW outlined. Vinatieri has been good for at 30+ FG attempts regularly as a Colt and rarely ever misses, so he was an easy choice for me.

Say all, I have seen a few mentions of the final point total for players last year. Could someone send me a link to this so I can see what transpired, albeit it a little too late for this year's draft?

Thanks much

Say all, I have seen a few mentions of the final point total for players last year. Could someone send me a link to this so I can see what transpired, albeit it a little too late for this year's draft?

Thanks much

I don't think Fumble keeps track. I calculated a few defensive totals to make a point how worthless they are in this league.

RC, thanks much. But......... this doesn't appear to be our League and it doesn't show any final point totals by player. Plus, if you get me to the right place, looks like I'll need a password to log in, right?

Am I missing something here?

RC, thanks much. But......... this doesn't appear to be our League and it doesn't show any final point totals by player. Plus, if you get me to the right place, looks like I'll need a password to log in, right?

i clicked on the link and it took my right to kicker rankings from last year. Im assuming RC linked a league with similar kicker scoring to ours. I was able to sort by PPG and what has always been my theory on kickers looks to still hold true. #2 - #14 was a gap of less than 2 PPG. #1 was Barth without a full season and even he was only 3 PPG above #14 (#14 was Justin tucker BTW)...

so you see, kickers in general are a crapshoot and not worth drafting. Especially in a format like this one where all FG's are a straight 3 points, it diminishes guys who are good at 40+ and get a lot of those opportunities. I think it also diminishes the usual mantra of going after a kicker in an offense that stalls. To a degree this remains true, but less so than in a league where longer FG's = more points.

We have to draft a kicker for this mock but in your normal redraft or dynasty, its best to ignore the position in favor of taking another shot on an upside RB or WR and let the preseason / TC play out. Provided free agent pickups are allowed prior to week 1.

• Like 1

Go to FFT home page. Select My FFToday (in green box) and log in or create an account if you haven't yet. Then you'll be brought to a page that allows you to create a league profile. Create No Hassle and enter our scoring rules. Once finished it should be your default league. If not click the Set as Default link. Once complete when you select "stats" in the blue nav bar, the data you see will be based on your default (No Hassle) league. Also the rankings and projection will go by the default league scoring as well.

Damn so you all missed the part where I WON that league!!! lol! I just posted the kicker totals from a league. I thought that's what you wanted.

Damn so you all missed the part where I WON that league!!! lol! I just posted the kicker totals from a league. I thought that's what you wanted.

No, I really wanted the year-end player scoring for our 2014 June Mock Non-PPR league. The one where I finished next-to-last so that I could work on improving my player selection this year........ HEY, I still have one pick left!!

No, I really wanted the year-end player scoring for our 2014 June Mock Non-PPR league. The one where I finished next-to-last so that I could work on improving my player selection this year........ HEY, I still have one pick left!!

Robb I posted how you can set that up a few posts above this.

I just score it week-to week. I don't keep track of exact player points, per se.

easiest way is as JScott outlined above. I don't personally use it as everything about this league is pretty standard with the exception of kicker and defense scoring and those are normally my last 2 picks based on being in this league X amount of years.

easiest way is as JScott outlined above. I don't personally use it as everything about this league is pretty standard with the exception of kicker and defense scoring and those are normally my last 2 picks based on being in this league X amount of years.

Picking a defense early can be done, but it has to be the right one, lately we simply have not had that team that has the very tangible ability to score, and that is the key facet for drafting a defense before round 14 or 15. There are a few interesting ones that have the potential to be one of those scoring teams, Houston is one of them and for my team in this league was my target.

With the depletion of the QBs just before I was going to take Bridgewater, I decided to wait until the 16th, because only one other team appears to lack one. That said, I wrestled with this pick, ultimately choosing Winston over my first choice simply because I believe there is less risk, with still a decent upside. My first choice would not have been prudent in a no-free-agency "league," where he could not be replaced. Do this in August, perhaps that pick changes - likely, in fact.

Sorry guys. Didn't know i had the page open on my.phone... was not able to actively check until just now

Sorry guys. Didn't know u had the page open on my.phone... was not able to actively check until just now

Don't sweat it, we all have lived outside of the mock forum, no one should make it a federal case ;)

Don't sweat it, we all have lived outside of the mock forum, no one should make it a federal case ;)

True

But when I realized I had the page open on my phone I realized it must have looked like I was just sitting here for 3 hours without picking. When in reality I hadn't checked. Felt the need to explain.

Then again it's round 16 so who gives a fock

Well, needed a second TE and Donnell is one I have been watching since round 13. Decided to wait, especially when I saw everyone else had their 2 TEs (no jokes, please). Manning should look at Donnell often and I believe he is a very serviceable back-up who will put up TE1 numbers in some weeks.

True

But when I realized I had the page open on my phone I realized it must have looked like I was just sitting here for 3 hours without picking. When in reality I hadn't checked. Felt the need to explain.

Then again it's round 16 so who gives a fock

:doublethumbsup:

V4E submitted his picks as a "spoiler", one of which is available, so if someone could enter it as 16.08, then we can keep moving.

Well, needed a second TE and Donnell is one I have been watching since round 13. Decided to wait, especially when I saw everyone else had their 2 TEs (no jokes, please). Manning should look at Donnell often and I believe he is a very serviceable back-up who will put up TE1 numbers in some weeks.

I was looking at him as well, and I am hoping he flies beneath the radar, I would likely look to him as a #2 TE in instances where my other preferred targets are gone. It would not shock me of the guys ends up having a decent year, like top 15 numbers.

OdB, cuz coming back, donnell progressing, Randle and now vereen are a big reason I'm high on Eli his year.

Plus another year in mcadoos systEm

I'm mixed on Donnelly. On one hand, he quietly finished last year as a TE1.

On the other, nearly 25% of his points came in 1 game (non-PPR). That's not something you want out of a player in non-best ball format.

He's good enough to take a chance on him as a TE2, but...