Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** Round 1 & 2 Commentary - July PPR **

This is the first time in any mock or mfl 10 draft that i have gone rb rb and felt comfortable with both backs.

:thumbsup: This. It's also easier to do when you pick in the top half of the draft b/c you can still get a quality WR1 in the third. Every mock I've done to this point leaves me in a spot I don't like being in at receiver/tight end when I go RB-RB. I typically go RB-WR now if the board dictates it, but will make an exception for Gronk b/c of the advantage he offers. When owners grab Gronk, he is essentially the first of the four receivers they are required to start in this format. I think when you look at it like that, then it reduces the importance of hoping a low-end WR1 somehow finds his way back to you the next time around.

:thumbsup: This. It's also easier to do when you pick in the top half of the draft b/c you can still get a quality WR1 in the third. Every mock I've done to this point leaves me in a spot I don't like being in at receiver/tight end when I go RB-RB. I typically go RB-WR now if the board dictates it, but will make an exception for Gronk b/c of the advantage he offers. When owners grab Gronk, he is essentially the first of the four receivers they are required to start in this format. I think when you look at it like that, then it reduces the importance of hoping a low-end WR1 somehow finds his way back to you the next time around.

If gronk was there i definitely would have taken him at my 2nd pick.

CJ is my guy this year. The Broncos are gonna run to protect Manning and CJ is young legs in a system built for him. I did not expect a shot at Beckham at #11 and definitely didn't expect Forte to fall to me in the second round. JScott placed that pick for me and I initially told him Forte, then had to go with my guy CJ Anderson. Forte has been my first round target for two straight seasons so it was a very hard decision. I'm confident CJ out performs him and forte does turn 30 this year.

CJ is my guy this year. The Broncos are gonna run to protect Manning and CJ is young legs in a system built for him. I did not expect a shot at Beckham at #11 and definitely didn't expect Forte to fall to me in the second round. JScott placed that pick for me and I initially told him Forte, then had to go with my guy CJ Anderson. Forte has been my first round target for two straight seasons so it was a very hard decision. I'm confident CJ out performs him and forte does turn 30 this year.

I would have had the same difficult choice between Forte and Anderson you faced if I was going to take a RB. As a Denver "homer", probably would have gone with CJ. But then, he is much more unproven that Forte is and John Fox does like to run the football (Chicago) and Forte is receiving more pass-catching opportunities as his rushing attempts fall. Tough choice.

Don't love Dalton, still couldn't pass on AJ. I had several other players under consideration here but AJ at the bottom of my tier 1 WRs was better than going with a tier 3 RB.

Forte's best two season came under trestman and he's gone, Kubiak is all about bellcow backs and zone blocking, both perfect for the younger CJ. Foster caught his share of flairs and screens in Houston also.

Pretty salty over seeing Green go right before me, Cobb is an OK consolation, but still....sigh

• Like 1

Forte's best two season came under trestman and he's gone, Kubiak is all about bellcow backs and zone blocking, both perfect for the younger CJ. Foster caught his share of flairs and screens in Houston also.

Regarding Forte, I saw an exaggeration of this in my dynasty league. I was offering him to just about everyone with a top-five pick in our rookie draft and then again as part of a package for an early-second round pick. (CRICKETS)

Then again, maybe that was a reflection of the league. I didn't receive a single trade offer involving Anderson this spring or summer, not even the ridiculous ones I often get.

Good rotoworld blurb on Green.

A.J. Green led the NFL in yards per route run (YPRR) last season.

Demaryius Thomas, Odell Beckham, Julio Jones and Jordy Nelson rounded out the top-5 in YPRR. Due to toe, bicep and concussion issues, Green missed three 2014 games and was limited in several others. He still went over 1,000 yards for the fourth time in his four-year career and scored six touchdowns. Now Green is healthy and entering a contract year. He's a strong second-round value pick. Jul 13 - 11:20 AM

P.S. I will keep checking in but if I'm OTC please text me at 201-575-1226

• Like 1

I am stunned that DeMarco Murray fell as far as he did. I know . . . last year was his first playing all 16. He's switching teams. The line isn't as good. Are you serious? He's got roughly a career 4.7-ypc, and 53 and 57 receptions in each of the last two years, and now he's going to Philly. That was a steal. Heck, I thought I was going to be mulling him over at 1.02. 2.8??? Just wow. Great steal.

• Like 1

Oh, and I'll be around a bit more going forward. This was a crazy busy day, and just happened to be the first day of the draft. So sorry for the scattershot presence. You can't get rid of me, now.

I am stunned that DeMarco Murray fell as far as he did. I know . . . last year was his first playing all 16. He's switching teams. The line isn't as good. Are you serious? He's got roughly a career 4.7-ypc, and 53 and 57 receptions in each of the last two years, and now he's going to Philly. That was a steal. Heck, I thought I was going to be mulling him over at 1.02. 2.8??? Just wow. Great steal.

I'll agree 2.8 is solid value for him. However, I think it will take a perfect storm of events for me to draft him this summer. First of all, I think he'll top out at about 270 carries if he stays healthy, which I doubt he will coming off 497 touches (including playoffs) last year. I may hold out more hope for him in that regard if he was a more elusive runner, but he is a one-cut back that plays physical. There is also his injury history entering 2014, not to mention the fact that a better receiving back (McCoy) somehow only made 28 grabs last year in the same offense. The Eagles replaced both of their guards, so I'm not sure we can assume the line will return to its 2013 dominance. There is also a fair amount of competition for touches in the backfield as well, alhough I acknowledge he will be the lead back each week barring injury.

I think I would have made the same pick as FBN did in his situation, but I do think he belongs in the second round.

I think it could be a very solid pick if Kelly uses him in a bell cow roll.

Oh, and I'll be around a bit more going forward. This was a crazy busy day, and just happened to be the first day of the draft. So sorry for the scattershot presence. You can't get rid of me, now.

Congrats on that Grandson yesterday Dan!!

Congrats on that Grandson yesterday Dan!!

Thanks, remote! He is absolutely awesome! And totally a Papa's Boy. :D

• Like 1

Congrats Dan. I have a 3.5 week old daughter at home.

Congratulations, man! Your first?