Sign in to follow this  
hman1962

Auction League stratagy.

I would like to get other peoples view point on what to spend, or how much to budget for positions. Here are the parameters:

14 team league, 14 roster spots. 1 point PPR.

Starting line up requirments:

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE

1 PK

1 DEF

I know I will get a bunch of different stratagies, but I want other view points an what others have done.

Thanks in advance.

Hman

In my auction league. I need advice I can only keep 1. Gronk $16 Ingram $3 Murray $21 Morris $10 Randle $7 which one would u keep?

In my auction league. I need advice I can only keep 1. Gronk $16 Ingram $3 Murray $21 Morris $10 Randle $7 which one would u keep?

Gronk

Randle

Murray

Morris

Ingram

Gronk is better to keep than Murray. Especially given the price difference.

Ingram would probably cost you a bit more if you threw him back with all the other fish (so to speak)

Randle is a bit of a crapshoot. he might be a steal, but also could be a bust.

Morris is ok given the price but probably not the kind of keeper that gives you a huge advantage.

The deciding factor: if Gronk performs as expected, he is a difference maker. there is also very little risk with him. He's proven.

all the other players have question marks.

Murray had a big season last year, but hes injury prone, and moving to a new offense with a crappy O line. He may perform, he may not. I'm betting on a Mediocre year.

Randle: largely unproven. Huge upside, but why gamble with him when you have a proven commodity in Gronk?

None of the rest are game breakers.

decent players to be sure. but not the ones you want.

• Like 1

I tend to nominate kicker and defense first when its my turn. If you get a bidding war early (and in both cases anything more than $1 is a bidding war) you succeed.

The strategy of getting your opponents to spend more than they should always should remain most prevalent in your mind. Do that and you'll end up just fine

• Like 2

giraldi02, thank you for replying to my question. i have done that in the past.. and it works. I am really trying to figure out a budget, with percentages for each position.

There are plenty of different strategies. Before my draft I like to make a list of players I really want and how much I'm willing to spend on them. I then make a list of players I want others to buy but I would be OK with if I ended up with. Never nominate a player you don't want on your team because you may get stuck with him. I also make a list of players I like that can be had for $1 or $2.

If there are some cheap players you really want it's not a bad idea to nominate them early. This gives you a great chance to actually get them and if someone happens to bid over you then they over paid. You may lose a player you want but you want other teams to over pay for players, especially ones that should be going for $1.

Last year I spent most of my money on WRs and then got a decent QB at the time. My QB was Luck and turned out to be great but I didn't pay much for him. The rest of my money went towards getting high upside players. This strategy lead to me having crap for RBs and struggled until Hill came on strong towards the end of the season.

This year I plan on having a similar strategy but trying to make sure I get one decent RB. I won't spent a lot on QB but can still get a good one cheap. Most of my money will be spent on Two WRs but I hope to get one top 15 RB. Not too worried about TE but would like to get Olsen or Bennett. These two guys can be hard fairly cheap. After those players it's time to get some $1 guys. These are generally backup running backs and rookies.

• Like 1

giraldi02, thank you for replying to my question. i have done that in the past.. and it works. I am really trying to figure out a budget, with percentages for each position.

You can make a general strategy to have percentages for each position but don't get too stuck on it or you'll be screwed. You have to be flexible. Sometimes others in your draft just get crazy and bidding gets out of hand. Everyone you like is going a few dollars over your budget and next thing you know all the great players are gone and you're stuck with the B team.

This happened to me last year with RBs. I refused to spend more than what I had valued for RBs. I ended up with Gerhart as my top back because everyone else was gone. All I had to do was spend an extra buck or two and could have had a much better RB but I was too stubborn. I drafted Hill late and got lucky with him late in the season.

• Like 1

I generally have a couple of team make-ups I'm interested in creating and then depending on how the draft is going I adjust. I've been working on it the past couple of days I personally have found this year is taking me out of my comfort zone as I don't have many low cost WR's I'm very interested in but there are a number of lower cost RB's I like.

RB: I see value in M. Gordon, Ingram, Gore, Randle, Jennings, Blount and Blue/Foster.

WR: I really only see value in Calvin and J. Matthews. Maybe Cobb and Hilton but they're still pretty costly.

I prefer spending on WRs but I feel the opposite as you. There are not as many cheap RBs as there are WRs in my eyes. I still like a lot of cheap RBs but they need a lot for them to put up big numbers. Here are my cheap guys.

RBs: Blount, Ivory, Woodhead, David Johnson and Duke Johnson

WRs: Royal, Decker, Randle, Wright, Charles Johnson, Fitzgerald. The list goes on....

There are plenty of different strategies. Before my draft I like to make a list of players I really want and how much I'm willing to spend on them. I then make a list of players I want others to buy but I would be OK with if I ended up with. Never nominate a player you don't want on your team because you may get stuck with him. I also make a list of players I like that can be had for $1 or $2.

If there are some cheap players you really want it's not a bad idea to nominate them early. This gives you a great chance to actually get them and if someone happens to bid over you then they over paid. You may lose a player you want but you want other teams to over pay for players, especially ones that should be going for $1.

Last year I spent most of my money on WRs and then got a decent QB at the time. My QB was Luck and turned out to be great but I didn't pay much for him. The rest of my money went towards getting high upside players. This strategy lead to me having crap for RBs and struggled until Hill came on strong towards the end of the season.

This year I plan on having a similar strategy but trying to make sure I get one decent RB. I won't spent a lot on QB but can still get a good one cheap. Most of my money will be spent on Two WRs but I hope to get one top 15 RB. Not too worried about TE but would like to get Olsen or Bennett. These two guys can be hard fairly cheap. After those players it's time to get some $1 guys. These are generally backup running backs and rookies.

yes, a variation on this strategy, is to figure out how much you figure your potential keepers would go for if they were up for auction.

so if you think Gronk would go for $25 at auction, your keeper price of $16 is pretty good. you can figure out where your best value is just based on what the cost would be to buy them back.

Okay here a tuff one. I have Manning $52 Bell$7 Hill$1 Beckham $7 A.Brown $7 and Gronk $14 it's a keeper league I got Hill before he was big,OBJ when he was injuries. Brown his 1st year without Wallace. Gronk when he was hurt. So I have some absolute studs for cheap. I have $135 for the draft do I grab 2 more studs or do I use that money to grab a bunch of middle tier guys. I could grab Julio and Fortee and spend 120 and fill the other 14 spots with dollar players or I could grab 1 studd and a bunch of avg players.

Okay here a tuff one. I have Manning $52 Bell$7 Hill$1 Beckham $7 A.Brown $7 and Gronk $14 it's a keeper league I got Hill before he was big,OBJ when he was injuries. Brown his 1st year without Wallace. Gronk when he was hurt. So I have some absolute studs for cheap. I have $135 for the draft do I grab 2 more studs or do I use that money to grab a bunch of middle tier guys. I could grab Julio and Fortee and spend 120 and fill the other 14 spots with dollar players or I could grab 1 studd and a bunch of avg players.

Julio for sure.

My league decided to try an auction for our football draft. I don't believe anyone in my league has experienced this before and I would like your advice on how to "steal" some good players. I am not asking WHO you would draft, but rather a strategy to use. We will have $200 to draft 13 positions. I don't plan on spending more than $1 on my defense or kicker. TE are considered WR in this league.

We start the following:

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

K

DEF

So, with 8 starting spots and my commitment to only spend 1$ for DEF and K, I have broken it down to spend $180 on 6 players and have $18 left to get 5 more.

Give me your thoughts and feedback.

In my auction league. I need advice I can only keep 1. Gronk $16

you could have stopped there. no explanation needed.

as far as the OP... just 2 RB, 2 WR and no flex? there are going to be crazy good values for mid-tier WRs as there are way more than 28 startable WRs. you get 2 top RBs and they don't bust... you probably win.

you nominate the most expensive players you don't want. every time. that limits owners as the auction progresses. getting someone to spend $2 on a kicker instead of $1 (early in the auction) does not stop them from bidding up your targets. they have to feel more limited by taking guys who are $10, $20, $30, $50, etc.

• Like 1

you could have stopped there. no explanation needed.

as far as the OP... just 2 RB, 2 WR and no flex? there are going to be crazy good values for mid-tier WRs as there are way more than 28 startable WRs. you get 2 top RBs and they don't bust... you probably win.

you nominate the most expensive players you don't want. every time. that limits owners as the auction progresses. getting someone to spend $2 on a kicker instead of $1 (early in the auction) does not stop them from bidding up your targets. they have to feel more limited by taking guys who are $10, $20, $30, $50, etc.

Yeah, in auction leagues where you Start only 2 WR, I'd recommend paying for one WR stud, and all the rest of your WR you get on the cheap.

There are easily enough good WR's to support a league where you start 3 WR and not a huge difference between a WR2 and a WR3. then spend your cash on RB1, RB2. QB1 can always be had for a reasonable price too.

My league decided to try an auction for our football draft. I don't believe anyone in my league has experienced this before and I would like your advice on how to "steal" some good players. I am not asking WHO you would draft, but rather a strategy to use. We will have $200 to draft 13 positions. I don't plan on spending more than $1 on my defense or kicker. TE are considered WR in this league.

We start the following:

QB

RB

RB

WR

WR

WR

K

DEF

So, with 8 starting spots and my commitment to only spend 1$ for DEF and K, I have broken it down to spend $180 on 6 players and have $18 left to get 5 more.

Give me your thoughts and feedback.

The first step you need to take is find a value for players based on your league rules. Since you are only filling 13 positions that changes the auction values for players. You won't be able to go by the standard auction format on Yahoo and ESPN since they use $200 to draft 16 players. If you do this you'll have a much better understanding of how much you should be spending and what a good deal is.

The best advice I can give is to run as many scenarios as possible to prepare for the draft. There are probably billion permutations of players you can have on your team. It's like running a mock draft with yourself. You don't need anyone but yourself because at auction you can target anyone you want and control how much you pay for someone.

Start with a spreadsheet, separated by positions that tallys the subtotals per position and a field tallying amount of money left. So you can clearly see how much money you have left to play with as you're filling your roster.

Now you can start plugging people in. Changing people out and plugging them back in. I've been doing this for a couple weeks now. My wife just shakes her head... What would happen if I took two stud RBs? What if I put both ODB and Julio on my team? How can I afford for the rest of my team? What would happen if I drafted ARod and gronk? Where are the sneaky value mid-tier guys that will allow me to overspend at those positions. You can do this forever but this is the only way you'll be prepared for the auction. Cuz before you know it, you'll find yourself drafting someone that wasn't on your draft sheet because you got them at good value or you got carried away and overspent and you'll panic.

If you run scenarios long enough, you can narrow yourself into a strategy. I want to spend on a stud RB this year so I'm allocating 90 dollars for RBs. I think I can get value at WR so I'm allocation 70 for WRs etc... And write out who those people are on your spreadsheet. Hopefully, your league mates won't derail your strategy too bad.

Good luck

The first step you need to take is find a value for players based on your league rules. Since you are only filling 13 positions that changes the auction values for players. You won't be able to go by the standard auction format on Yahoo and ESPN since they use $200 to draft 16 players. If you do this you'll have a much better understanding of how much you should be spending and what a good deal is.

Thanks, good point. I believe 9-10 of the guys in my league won't catch that. :thumbsup:

The best advice I can give is to run as many scenarios as possible to prepare for the draft. There are probably billion permutations of players you can have on your team. It's like running a mock draft with yourself. You don't need anyone but yourself because at auction you can target anyone you want and control how much you pay for someone.

Start with a spreadsheet, separated by positions that tallys the subtotals per position and a field tallying amount of money left. So you can clearly see how much money you have left to play with as you're filling your roster.

Now you can start plugging people in. Changing people out and plugging them back in. I've been doing this for a couple weeks now. My wife just shakes her head... What would happen if I took two stud RBs? What if I put both ODB and Julio on my team? How can I afford for the rest of my team? What would happen if I drafted ARod and gronk? Where are the sneaky value mid-tier guys that will allow me to overspend at those positions. You can do this forever but this is the only way you'll be prepared for the auction. Cuz before you know it, you'll find yourself drafting someone that wasn't on your draft sheet because you got them at good value or you got carried away and overspent and you'll panic.

If you run scenarios long enough, you can narrow yourself into a strategy. I want to spend on a stud RB this year so I'm allocating 90 dollars for RBs. I think I can get value at WR so I'm allocation 70 for WRs etc... And write out who those people are on your spreadsheet. Hopefully, your league mates won't derail your strategy too bad.

Good luck

I understand but don't have the time (or patience) to do this. I agree with the $90 for RB to get 2 studs. Probably about 70 for a couple good WR and then throw in a couple cheap sleepers. Free agency will be the key

My draft is Sunday the players available are do I spend my money on a stud or do I spread it out?

Bree's

Julio

Romo

Stanford

Calvin

AJ Green

Forte

Then there a

Pretty huge drop

Off...

Maclin

Stewart

A.Johnson

Bradford

Seems like a lot of people don't think Forte will be the same player he has been in the past so you might get him for a good tag .

Weepaws he's the only Elite RB left

Yeldon

Bernard

Mason

Crowell

Freeman

Stewart

Mathews

Blount

Gary

Vereen

Bush

McFadden

Blue

Sims

Martin

Cobb

Coleman

Johnson

Sankey

Wood head

Which RBs should I target? I have $139 I'm thinking of spending $60 on one of the big 3 WR I will need to spend like 40-50 on a QB leaves me only $39 or so...Would you go that route or would you grab cheaper guys?

I understand but don't have the time (or patience) to do this. I agree with the $90 for RB to get 2 studs. Probably about 70 for a couple good WR and then throw in a couple cheap sleepers. Free agency will be the key

Actually $90 would get you 1 stud @$55 and 1 mid value guy @$25, then $10 to fill your bench. You'll see once you start running a few scenarios, that money doesn't stretch very far. $70 for WR will net you one stud @$40, one mid value guy @$20 and $10 to fill your bench.

I think my overall point was lost on you Joneo. If you dont have the time or patience to do your research, you should just light your money on fire and continue to pay league dues every year and have 0 return on investment.

I know it takes time but I still think you need to do a few mock drafts. This will give you a little preparation on how to handle the chaos. There are going to be times where the players you really want are going for more than you want to spend and you need to adjust. If you just let all of those players go then you are stuck with a bunch of players you didn't want and money left over that you can't spend.

Doing a mock also prepares you on how to handle a situation where a great player you weren't targeting comes available at a price you can't pass up. You take that player and now you need to adjust the rest of your draft. Or, what happens when you try to bid up a player and get stuck with him? You need to make adjustments for that too.

Practice makes perfect.

Actually $90 would get you 1 stud @$55 and 1 mid value guy @$25, then $10 to fill your bench. You'll see once you start running a few scenarios, that money doesn't stretch very far. $70 for WR will net you one stud @$40, one mid value guy @$20 and $10 to fill your bench.

I think my overall point was lost on you Joneo. If you dont have the time or patience to do your research, you should just light your money on fire and continue to pay league dues every year and have 0 return on investment.

Your input was/is greatly appreciated. I got it. I don't have the computer skills to set up a spreadsheet, which would take time for me to learn, and then input data. I don't have THAT time. I research, but it will be done differently than what you proposed. :thumbsup:

Here's another auction question. What percentage would you allocate for the QB position in a 2 QB league?

I would go all out on 2 qb's at that point.... $65-$70 for 2

I would go all out on 2 qb's at that point.... $65-$70 for 2

In a 200 auction league?

If so that's about 35% of budget.

I was leaning more towards 20%

I am in the 2nd year of an auction with 2 keepers. I noticed something last year and want to know all your thoughts. With keepers, obviously people are keeping players for less than their market value. Thus, the total amount of money teams have for the auction no longer correlates to the projected cost of players available in a start from scratch league (from yahoo in my example). Their is more money, for less value available, i.e, there is inflation.

Thus, My strategy is to go out guns blazing. Nominate the guys i want most and if they are projected at costing $50, I will be ok paying say $58 to get them, ifthat is what their true value is given the inflation caused by keepers. My question is does anyone else do this? Or how do you approach auctions with keepers?

In a 200 auction league?

If so that's about 35% of budget.

I was leaning more towards 20%

just my experience but in 2 QB leagues the team who goes monster on QB always dominates.... if its ppr maybe less

just my experience but in 2 QB leagues the team who goes monster on QB always dominates.... if its ppr maybe less

It is indeed PPR. It's technically a Superflex league rather than a 2 QB required league, but if your not playing 2 QBS for the majority of the weeks you're in trouble.

That can happen. Especially if your league has more than 10 teams. (not enough backup QBs for everyone)

the top RBs still seem to be more valuable than top QB's but once you get past the top 5 or 6 RB's and QB's, then QB's start to become more valueable.

Luck and Rodgers are going to go for a premium and if you get one of them you're probably going to want to pay very little for a second QB but could still end up OK. I'd target someone like Bridgewater.