Sign in to follow this  
BigBBlue

Sorting Choices

I don't have the full DB spreadsheet with me right now, so I can't be sure of the exact term, but I'm talking about the choices that include Compiler Draft Recommended, Last Started Drafted, Median Player Drafted and Last Player Drafted.

I've copied the first 30 picks in my 12 team standard QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, DEF, K league.

Compiler is 7RBs then mixes in WRs until the QBs at 13/14 and TE at 27

Last Starter brings a WR at 3 and 8, QBs up 2 spots and TE at 14

Median Starter had 8RBs, then a couple WRs, QBs at 13/14 and TE 18

Last Player has 7RBs, before mixing in WRs, QBs 14/15 and TE outside the top 30

In this league, I have Picks 1, 24,25,48 etc. I'm sure I'm going RB and checking tiers for best available as we go. If the top QBs drop (they won't) I'll grab one at the 2/3 turn. I expect top TE to be gone, but would be tempted at the 2/3 turn as well.

Is there an explanation of how the lists are adjusted/re-compiled somewhere?

In addition to this league, I've got a bunch else, including 2/10 in a PPR, 5/10 PPR, 7/10 Standard. I'm tempted to go QB in the 7 (PA6), and might in the 5 (PA6) as well. Haven't checked to see how DB resorts them in those leagues, but I think the PPR starts with WRs, at least has them much higher.

I don't have a great laptop, and the iPad solution is too risky for me this year (had some quirks last year with onlive). I'll be printing an ordered sheet for each draft. My understanding is that DB does not re-adjust based on league picks, ie won't suggest a non-QB if I get one early.

I plan to incorporate some notes along the way (Doug's Big Board + ESPN/YAHOO rankings info only).

Thanks.

BB

You're right, DB does not adjust the rankings based on prior picks in the draft. I look at the overall rankings as a guide people like to use that mixes the positions and gives insight into how valuable positions are to one another based on the league set up. While many people use the overall rankings for a large part of their drafts, I tend to use it early but then switch to the offense cheatsheet after a handful of rounds and use the tiering to help guide my picks.

Regardless of the rankings, we do need to keep in mind that there are tradeoffs. If you take a QB early, then you are giving up a higher ranked RB and WR you would otherwise draft with that early QB pick. If you feel your league really needs a top QB then that is the way to go. If you feel really good about a QB you can draft later (i.e. not that different in points than a top QB), then it makes more sense to bypass the early QB and get one later in the draft.

Personally, I'm not that keen to draft Luck or Rodgers unless they really fall in the draft (rare) and instead be one of the last players to take a QB in about the 10th round. QB I'm targeting include Eli, Tannehill, Palmer, etc. Since I take my first QB so late I try to be one of the first to take my second QB, hoping one of them really pans out or I can play matchups.

In terms of your question about how the players are adjusted/re-compiled, the difference is the level of replacement or baseline player from which to compare the fantasy points and determine value of each player. There is a hidden tab called calcs that you should check out for more detail on the baselines for each method.

In terms of your question about how the players are adjusted/re-compiled, the difference is the level of replacement or baseline player from which to compare the fantasy points and determine value of each player. There is a hidden tab called calcs that you should check out for more detail on the baselines for each method.

Thanks. I'll see if I can unhide and check it out.

Re: Early QB - I understand the rational for not taking one early. I think in some leagues with 6pt PA TD (instead of standard 4), the top level QBs are much higher thatn the rest of the pack, and do make up for more than the dropoff in flex (rb/wr) choices. In my PATD 4pt leagues, I tend to wait on QB.

WOW. That's a lot of information.

Not sure I follow all of it, but enough get me going.

FWIW - I do prefer the Last Starter Drafted. I know that my bench will be stronger than most, and I'll be among the most active on the waiver wire:)