Sign in to follow this  
rotisserieking

Keeper League strategy re: Abdullah and Gurley

So I'm in a 10-team league where we can keep up to 3 guys for 3 years. As of right now my only definite keeper is Jamaal Charles but likely will also keep AJ Green.

Trying to figure out where is the optimum draft spot for Abdullah and Gurley (we're in St. Louis so the homers may jump on him) knowing I can get them for 3 years. Anyone think more highly of the other? Being in the SEC I watched Gurly just tear up that league last season so I know what he can do.

In my mocks Abdullah is tending to go in the 7th round and Gurley in 9th/10th but wondering - is 5th/6th where I want to jump up and grab one of them?

So I'm in a 10-team league where we can keep up to 3 guys for 3 years. As of right now my only definite keeper is Jamaal Charles but likely will also keep AJ Green.

Trying to figure out where is the optimum draft spot for Abdullah and Gurley (we're in St. Louis so the homers may jump on him) knowing I can get them for 3 years. Anyone think more highly of the other? Being in the SEC I watched Gurly just tear up that league last season so I know what he can do.

In my mocks Abdullah is tending to go in the 7th round and Gurley in 9th/10th but wondering - is 5th/6th where I want to jump up and grab one of them?

In a keeper Gurley is worth a 6th but no way does he last that long when most if not all teams are keeping 3 players. Especially in STL. I doubt hes still there in the 5th either.

Honestly, I think he goes in the 3rd. He probably should be going later, but I dont think that will happen.

It is possible he will even go in the 2nd or the 1st if someone is really drinking the Kool aid.

My belief is that given his injury status, he should be going in a later round (like was already mentioned)

But I guess if a team is in rebuild mode and knows they dont have a good shot at winning this year, why wouldnt they spend a 2nd or a 3rd to get a player like him for future years?

When keeping only 3 or less for 3 years each team should be in a win now mode. Why waste a pick on somone that you can only keep for 3 years when his 1st 6 months are lost?

Thanks guys - sort of along what I was thinking in the back of my mind but hoping not to hear. I'll reach at 4 if he's there but like you said, good chance he's already gone. But sometimes these guys are hard to read - Luck somehow went in the 7th round his rookie year.

Keeper I would without question go Gurley.

When keeping only 3 or less for 3 years each team should be in a win now mode. Why waste a pick on somone that you can only keep for 3 years when his 1st 6 months are lost?

Yes, but as you well know, people get caught up in the hype and get stupid.

you and I both know where he should be drafted, but for each guy like us out there, there is an idiot who reads an article in a fantasy football rag calling him a generational player, and they will use a high pick on him. even in a format like this, I can see it happening.

in a dynasty league or a keeper league where you can keep him indefinitely? I can see him going early in those ones (for good reason)