Sign in to follow this  
Mungwater

Jobs the Internet killed

So I was traveling again, and the guy next to me started making small talk.. Come to find out his wife is a travel agent and gave me her card to use in the future. The guy was maybe 40-45, so unless he married grandma, I can't remember the last time someone used a travel agent, except for work mandated use.

What other jobs do you think the Internet killed off?

And I'm not talking about video renta store employee or camera film developer..

I guess in a sense, they count too, just like other retail jobs.

Encyclopedia publishers?

Travel agents for sure

Any other thoughts?

Video Game stores. EB is the only one left and they are in big trouble.

Gamestop

Yeah, I meant gamestop. sorry eb turned into gamestop.

i'm old :mad:

Newsstands

you want them to tell you the news sitting?

My next door neighbor and his wife own a travel agency. They do very well, catering to wealthy people. Our view of travel generally consists of booking a flight and getting a room. The rich have other requirements.

street hookers

Neighborhood bookies

I know of the same 2 in my little sh1t city that has 40,000 people.

you're nuts if you think dudes over 50ish bet online.

I'm 51 and I bet online and all my friends who bet do it online. I haven't seen one of those old football cards in about 15 years.

I'm 51 and I bet online and all my friends who bet do it online. I haven't seen one of those old football cards in about 15 years.

not only do the local bars where I live have the cards, it is the same 2 bookies that drop them off.

not only do the local bars where I live have the cards, it is the same 2 bookies that drop them off.

Wow, that's old school. I guess in some places they could still thrive. Especially if the bookies still extend credit to the addicted gamblers.

Wow, that's old school. I guess in some places they could still thrive. Especially if the bookies still extend credit to the addicted gamblers.

Yeah that's how it works.

unless you screwed them before they will let you bet up to a few hundred, even a thousand if they know you well enough.

pay from tuesday to friday or the leg breakers be at your door :mad:

summer of 1988 I bet $200 on the Atlanta Hawks to beat someone in a playoff game, it was the lock of the year, someone wasn't playing for the other team or something.

yeah, they lost. I had no job, no source of income (that was the fun of betting) I don't bet now because I have money..

anyway, I had to ask my dad for it.. he gave it to me.

summer of 1988 I bet $200 on the Atlanta Hawks to beat someone in a playoff game, it was the lock of the year, someone wasn't playing for the other team or something.

yeah, they lost. I had no job, no source of income (that was the fun of betting) I don't bet now because I have money..

anyway, I had to ask my dad for it.. he gave it to me.

I once bet on Rutgers to beat Nebraska. rutgers had +50. They had to loce by less than 50 points for me to win. They lost like 56-3 or something.

Publishing of all kinds. The magazine industry has been decimated.

I once bet on Rutgers to beat Nebraska. rutgers had +50. They had to loce by less than 50 points for me to win. They lost like 56-3 or something.

should have teased it! :D

Librarians

It's largely transformed into a tach job. Our company for instance has an extensive digital info library.

But I agree that there are fewer jobs in the field.

anyone who made a living "picking" or "choosing" artists, musicians, writers, etc.

If you can make something, and it is good enough or remarkable enough, you can market it and sell it on your own. You no longer need some executive to choose you.

those who used to be the expert or professional "chosers" (ie. record executives, book publishers, chief editors, casting agents, art promoters) are no longer needed... and IMO, this is a good thing... they typically "chose" things that would appeal to the masses, the majority, and by choosing so omitted a lot of wonderful and/or controversial things from public consumption.

As a result, the movies, books, music, and art we enjoy today are more abundant and diverse than ever - you can't stop someone who makes/creates/writes/designs great things from setting up a blog, YouTube, Soundcloud, Twitter, website, or on-line store.

Street Fights

Siskle and Ebert

everyone is a focking critic now

Remarkably, not the yellow pages. We still get those things delivered to our house. They go straight to the recycle bin. :(

i don't know how banks still have so many tellers and have brick and mortar still.

1st of all it's open from 9 to 5, when most people you know. WORK.

I've been to a teller once in 4 years to get a bank check for a down payment on a house

Coin operated pay phone repairman

Accident scene investigators. Google Earth street view is killing me.

Professional matchmakers. Used to be you couldn't walk a block without passing a matchmaking shop or video dating store. Now, you log onto Plenty of Fish and BOOM, married.

Also, I would say brick and mortar bullies. Now, you do your cyberbullying right from your phone, and it's more convenient for everyone involved.

How about radio stations and their advertising?

AM is doing well with talk radio. Especially sports talk. FM, not so much.

Librarians

We just opened a brand new library in town. I guess it's state of the art as far as libraries go. :dunno:

I'm 51 and interested in betting online. Which sites are best?