Sign in to follow this  
skinny43

is having 2 flex positions too many (pros & cons)

some members of my 10 team keeper league want to add a second flex position...

Im trying to sort thru whether this is a good idea and need some unbiased help from the FFToday boards...

our current roster is as follows:

18 roster spots...

we currently start a QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 flex, 1 TE, 1D 1 K.... with 8 bench slots... 1 keeper

two members have suggested the following change:

18 roster spots...

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 flex, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K.... with 7 bench slots... 1 keeper

I am reluctant to go along with adding a second flex... with week 9 having 6 teams on a bye, and having to start a combination of 7 rb/wrs every week... it would seem that there arent enough players to make this viable...

7 players x 10 teams, makes 70 players needed to start every week... (plus the roughly 60+ additional players on teams bench)

are there enough players to even go around without thinning out the talent pool to obscurity?

my gut tells me this is a bad idea, but Im having a hard time making the case against it in my league...

what are your thoughts?

please help

I was asked by a buddy to fill in for a spot vacated in a long time league. I looked at the rules beforehand and still somehow didn't see they had two flex positions. It was a glitch in the 1st year of the league like 10 yrs ago and they have stuck with it. They go 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1DST/1K plus 1 RB/WR/TE and 1 RB/WR. I'm just glad I drafted 5 starting RB's and 5 staring WR's. 17 rounds in a 10 team league is ridiculous!

• Like 1

i think it's too much. i would much rather see an extra WR position that makes people actually KNOW the positional depth than just being able to take whatever is ranked highest.

Like it I have no problem with a extra flex .

I was asked by a buddy to fill in for a spot vacated in a long time league. I looked at the rules beforehand and still somehow didn't see they had two flex positions. It was a glitch in the 1st year of the league like 10 yrs ago and they have stuck with it. They go 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1DST/1K plus 1 RB/WR/TE and 1 RB/WR. I'm just glad I drafted 5 starting RB's and 5 staring WR's. 17 rounds in a 10 team league is ridiculous!

I know... this league already starts 3WRs and a flex... and they want to add another flex...

they justify it by saying 'theres one less bench spot, so the WW talent pool isnt any different/thinner.

I think its going to be a disaster... but Im having difficulty making the case to the league as to why.

I know... this league already starts 3WRs and a flex... and they want to add another flex...

they justify it by saying 'theres one less bench spot, so the WW talent pool isnt any different/thinner.

I think its going to be a disaster... but Im having difficulty making the case to the league as to why.

it's the first time i've ever played in a league with 2 flex. TE's was the most unpredictable position ever, i was targetting Eifert but actually had to go about 2 rounds early just to make sure I got him. I actually like leagues where the 1 flex is just RB/WR. puts extra value on those guys.

• Like 1

make it a super flex and allow starting 2 qb's; having 20 starting NFL QBs not contributing to your results makes no sense

Ive been in 2 QB leagues... and hated it....

in addition, noone in this league wants any part of a 2 QB league

it's the first time i've ever played in a league with 2 flex. TE's was the most unpredictable position ever, i was targetting Eifert but actually had to go about 2 rounds early just to make sure I got him. I actually like leagues where the 1 flex is just RB/WR. puts extra value on those guys.

would you be in a 2 flex league again?

and

at what point do you tip the balance or ratio of viable starters and ruin your league?

Extra flex makes you adjust the way you draft , and that's what makes them fun . I like drafts that make me rethink my strategie , and a two qb or a extra flex does just that .

I dig the superflex position. I don't think I'd like another general flex though. Like mentioned above the most talent left on the board to add another position is certainly at the QB position. I'd rather have that than be starting junk like Cecil Shorts and Roy Helu every week.

I'm in a 10 team ppr keeper league entering 16th season and this is how my lineup is shaping up with our settings.

QB - Romo

RB - Miller

RB - L. Murray

WR - Dez

WR - AJ

WR - Watkins

TE - Kelce

WR/RB/TE - D. Martin

WR/RB/TE - S. Smith Sr.

D - Buffalo

K - Bryant

Bench - Woodhead, Blue, Rivers, J. Brown, Ch. Johnson, Royal

My keepers were weak entering draft but the talent is there to build depth with multiple flex positions.

would you be in a 2 flex league again?

and

at what point do you tip the balance or ratio of viable starters and ruin your league?

I'm really just a fill in, not sure if I'll stay long term. This league has a little quirkiness in that guys in it like to draft from the NFL teams they like. Being new, I didn't really know that or know who their teams are. I usually go RB and WR heavy anyway, but came out with this:

RB: Jamaal Charles, Justin Forsett, Chris Ivory, Doug Martin, Arian Foster

WR: Julio Jones, Brandon Cooks, Jordan Matthews, Charles Johnson, Brian Quick

I'd be happier if it was PPR, but no such luck. Still pretty satisfied overall. Weaknesses are Matt Ryan at QB and Eifert at TE. Since it's 10 team there's more depth, and although those two flex spots eat up an additional 20 picks, there's still talent available. It would be VERY different in a 12 teamer with those two spots.

• Like 1

We're trying it this year in a .5 ppr (10 team)

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

2 FLEX (rb/wr/te)

1 K

1 D

Basically we did away with a required TE & added another FLEX.

Not sure if I like it but the reason was the majority b!tched about there only being 2-3 TEs worth anything then a bunch of sameness...Causing an unfair disadvantage at that position for the rest of the other owners.

:dunno:

Different league size, but the same concept at the end of the day: Mine league is:

14 teams

14 roster spots...

1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 flex, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K.... with 5 bench slots... 0 keeper

Not to say it isn't a challenge, but there are players available, just not the all star level teams you are used to in a 10 team league. Just to compare, we need to start 70 rb/rb also between the 14 teams and there are also 70 total bench spots (yours is 7 times 10 teams, mine 5 times 14 teams). Granted we only need to start 1 rb but we still need to start the same overall number of RB/WR total as your league.

Is it ppr? That makes a big difference - pass catching 3rd down backs and possession wide receivers become very viable starters during bye weeks. I enjoy the challenge of it. "Thinning the talent pool to obscurity" as you call it is all relative to what you are used to.

• Like 1

Different league size, but the same concept at the end of the day: Mine league is:

14 teams

14 roster spots...

1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 flex, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K.... with 5 bench slots... 0 keeper

Not to say it isn't a challenge, but there are players available, just not the all star level teams you are used to in a 10 team league. Just to compare, we need to start 70 rb/rb also between the 14 teams and there are also 70 total bench spots (yours is 7 times 10 teams, mine 5 times 14 teams). Granted we only need to start 1 rb but we still need to start the same overall number of RB/WR total as your league.

Is it ppr? That makes a big difference - pass catching 3rd down backs and possession wide receivers become very viable starters during bye weeks. I enjoy the challenge of it. "Thinning the talent pool to obscurity" as you call it is all relative to what you are used to.

its a half point per reception scoring...

Im in a few leagues... so Im used to lots of different formats (this is the only 10 teamer Im in.. the other three are 12 teamers)

I enjoy the challenge of mining the waiver wire to find a Andre Holmes, or Brian Hartline to plug in for a bye week and hope to strike gold with a favorable matchup....

but Im not really down with having to rely on guys like them every week to fill a second flex slot

7 players x 10 teams, makes 70 players needed to start every week... (plus the roughly 60+ additional players on teams bench)

are there enough players to even go around without thinning out the talent pool to obscurity?

I play in a 16 team league (1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex = 96 starters) and still feel there's quality starters on benches.

PPR and extra TE scoring to make them viable at flex. Which I think are needed.

• Like 1

its a half point per reception scoring...

Im in a few leagues... so Im used to lots of different formats (this is the only 10 teamer Im in.. the other three are 12 teamers)

I enjoy the challenge of mining the waiver wire to find a Andre Holmes, or Brian Hartline to plug in for a bye week and hope to strike gold with a favorable matchup....

but Im not really down with having to rely on guys like them every week to fill a second flex slot

Typically we only have to rely on guys like that during bye weeks or with injury issues. There really enough guys to field a team absent of those issues.

• Like 1

Fwiw, my league has been together for 12+ seasons. 10 team keeper: QB/3WR/2RB/TE/2FLEX/K/DST 7 bench. Think the extra flex is fine as long as it's TE eligible as well. We've had owners dominate in the past with Gronk/Hernadez combo and Graham/JT few years ago. It simulates a deeper 12-14 team league somewhat. Heck we used this same lineup with 12 teams the first few years.

Key is keep the bench tight, maybe add an IR if you have keepers. A small bench makes owners trade or use the waiver and plan... Not just hoard anyone with a pulse. Downside is sometimes it takes the challenge out of lineup setting. You often have no choice, just play the healthy guys. A bad string of injuries makes for rough times, forces you to sell for pennies on the dollar. Sometimes the team with the best players doesn't win the day, the team with the best depth and health wins the day. As you go deeper in lineup, the waiver gets pretty empty. Bowe and Crabtree are owned in our league, bench players, but owned. And they will likely start at least once for the owners. Sure these guys are waiver fodder in most leagues.

It's about what your league mates likes... No right or wrong. I personally like deeper lineups. I like having to find OBJ two weeks before he blows up, not just be the high bidder after the fact. And having the balls to cut a warm producing body to chance on him.

• Like 1