Sign in to follow this  
smperry

Thoughts on Joique Bell

Getting some mixed info about this guy. I remember seeing some good things from him last year.

Think he could be a solid RB2?

I've seen that he is still the starter, then I've read he is 3rd on the depth chart. Sorry no help here

I've read he's the bellcow back going forward.

However I expect him to be eased in since he's been recovering from surgery (knee and achilles if I remember).

His stock dropped considerably over the off season but if he's gonna be the bellcow back then he could be one of the steals of the draft.

Do you think they spent a 2nd round pick on Abdullah to not play him? He's been the most impressive rookie RB so far.

I see Bell as a short yardage guy who should see the field 60% at first if he's healthy. Once Abdullah gets rolling though it could easy be 60/40 in his favor.

Preseason Wk 1: 7 rushes for 67 yards. 1 of which was for 45 yards.

Preseason Wk 2: 2 rushes for 7 yards

Preseason Wk 3: 3 rushes for 8 yards.

What I see is alot of hype from a single Preseason run. Did I mention it was preseason? Yeah, he might take over for Bell before the season is out and he will at least get some playing time, but before I buy into the hype of him being their no.1, it's going to take more than a single good run in preseason. Until then Bell is the starter and it's the rookie's job to show he is worthy of the starting role. For now, he has to make the best of the opportunities he's going to get. And it's quite possible they ease him into the system this year so that in a year or two he is ready to become their RB of the future. Otherwise, it's all speculation on both ends with the only known being Bell is number 1 on the depth chart and Abdullah is number 3 behind Theo Riddick (according to the Lions website updated 9/6/15).

He is the goal line back. That is a big bonus.

The thing that worries me about Bell and why I invested in Abdullah Oblongata is the "undisclosed knee procedure" that he has along with the Achilles cleanup. Me thinks it may be the dreaded micro fracture surgery

My perception of the Lions is they are a Passing setting up the Run type offense. perhaps this may be the case when Bush had a meaningful impact on their game. Maybe it no longer applies.

Coming off a very disappointing season last year.

Coming off the losses on Defense.

It is a bit difficult to know if the Lions can come out early and set the agenda before being exposed on their defensive side.

I think bell has more point by seasons end then Abdullah. Too much hype with this kid for me.

Problem with Bell is he's just average. I'm talking...like...very average. Like ho hum average. He's ok, not great but good enough to be average. I'm saying zero flash average. Even his ypc is average.

Problem with Bell is he's just average. I'm talking...like...very average. Like ho hum average. He's ok, not great but good enough to be average. I'm saying zero flash average. Even his ypc is average.

This x 100

Getting some mixed info about this guy. I remember seeing some good things from him last year.

Think he could be a solid RB2?

All I keep seeing is that he will be the number one guy with most or all the goal line work .

Preseason Wk 1: 7 rushes for 67 yards. 1 of which was for 45 yards.

Preseason Wk 2: 2 rushes for 7 yards

Preseason Wk 3: 3 rushes for 8 yards.

What I see is alot of hype from a single Preseason run. Did I mention it was preseason? Yeah, he might take over for Bell before the season is out and he will at least get some playing time, but before I buy into the hype of him being their no.1, it's going to take more than a single good run in preseason. Until then Bell is the starter and it's the rookie's job to show he is worthy of the starting role. For now, he has to make the best of the opportunities he's going to get. And it's quite possible they ease him into the system this year so that in a year or two he is ready to become their RB of the future. Otherwise, it's all speculation on both ends with the only known being Bell is number 1 on the depth chart and Abdullah is number 3 behind Theo Riddick (according to the Lions website updated 9/6/15).

Great post.

I've mentioned the SAME thing last week. Outside of that 45 yard run, what EXACTLY has he done?

They held Bell out all preseason and week 1, he's going to get 15 touches with GOAL LINE carries.

Well apparently the coaching staff think very highly of him if they've already named him the starter coming off the surgeries this year.

That alone tells me quite a bit.

Bell is not an average back. He is a great pass blocker, catches the ball well, seldom fumbles the ball and has a nose for the end zone.

I like Ameer but the guy hasn't played a snap in the NFL and hasn't proven anything to be given the keys over a proven commodity like Bell.

We'll see how all this shakes out but I do remember reading Bell had the surgeries to take care of injuries that were nagging him throughout last season but regardless these numbers are hardly average:

Joique fantasy ranking among RB's from 2012 to 2014:

2012: 30th (6.5 Fantasy PPG)(much smaller sample than other 2 years)

2013: 17th (10.25 PPG)(3,9 YPC)(10.5 YPR)(8 Total TD's)

2014: 14th (11.07 PPG)(3.9 YPC)(9,5 YPR)(8 Total TD's)

I'll gamble and take the named Bellcow back right now in the later rounds over the unproven hyped rookie being drafted on average in the first 4 rounds of drafts. Which I did BTW.

I had Bell last year and he was below average IMO. That was with an often injured Bush sharing the load. Now Bell has a rookie with a lot of talent to compete for carries against. I passed on Bell this year and I took Abdulla a few rounds b4 Bell was taken in our 4 player keepers league. I rather shoot for the stars than break even with Bell.

I had Bell last year and he was below average IMO. That was with an often injured Bush sharing the load. Now Bell has a rookie with a lot of talent to compete for carries against. I passed on Bell this year and I took Abdulla a few rounds b4 Bell was taken in our 4 player keepers league. I rather shoot for the stars than break even with Bell.

I'd rather go with the proven vet who has the blessings of the coaching staff in the later rounds than go with the rookie who's never played a down of NFL football in the early rounds of my draft.

Really it doesn't matter what we think, it's what the coaching staff does and right now Bell is the starter.

Whether or not he holds the job is another story which is why I hedged my bet and took Zenner as well. :first:

But I sure as hell won't take Ameer in the early rounds of my draft.

I'd rather go with the proven vet who has the blessings of the coaching staff in the later rounds than go with the rookie who's never played a down of NFL football in the early rounds of my draft.

Really it doesn't matter what we think, it's what the coaching staff does and right now Bell is the starter.

Whether or not he holds the job is another story which is why I hedged my bet and took Zenner as well. :first:

But I sure as hell won't take Ameer in the early rounds of my draft.

I should have stated I have other RB's on my keeper league team. In the league I am in we only have to start 1 RB. So there is no way I would ever start Bell over my main RB McCoy. So when I drafted Abdulla I was drafting for his potential. And I too hedged my bet/pick and picked up Zenner off waivers after the draft :first:

Well apparently the coaching staff think very highly of him if they've already named him the starter coming off the surgeries this year.

That alone tells me quite a bit.

Bell is not an average back. He is a great pass blocker, catches the ball well, seldom fumbles the ball and has a nose for the end zone.

I like Ameer but the guy hasn't played a snap in the NFL and hasn't proven anything to be given the keys over a proven commodity like Bell.

We'll see how all this shakes out but I do remember reading Bell had the surgeries to take care of injuries that were nagging him throughout last season but regardless these numbers are hardly average:

Joique fantasy ranking among RB's from 2012 to 2014:

2012: 30th (6.5 Fantasy PPG)(much smaller sample than other 2 years)

2013: 17th (10.25 PPG)(3,9 YPC)(10.5 YPR)(8 Total TD's)

2014: 14th (11.07 PPG)(3.9 YPC)(9,5 YPR)(8 Total TD's)

I'll gamble and take the named Bellcow back right now in the later rounds over the unproven hyped rookie being drafted on average in the first 4 rounds of drafts. Which I did BTW.

IDK... Nothing I've read suggests "the coaching staff thinks very highly of him". Most of what I read says he the #1 tailback.....for now. That's anything but a vote of confidence. IMO, He's listed as the #1 RB by default. Let's be honest, it would be a slap in the face if he wasn't. Also, I don't think Bell is bellcow material at this point in time, especially early in the season, he's coming back from injury(s). He's simply listed as the #1 RB on the depth chart that doesn't always mean what people want it to mean.

I have tempered expectations.... I wanted a piece of Detroit's backfield, but i don't think that anyone will emerge and be 'the guy' unless there is an injury. What i feel will happen will be a lot of riding the hot hand, and the coaching staff trying to work in zenner and abdullah. I think after 2 or 3 games there will be a full blown RBBC with Bell and Abdullah splitting carries and zenner seeing 4-6 carries a game.