Sign in to follow this  
truebigdog

Which St Louis RB is the one to own?

Mason is listed as the starter, but Gurley is owned in almost all leagues?

I can get either in a trade right now, but don't know which to target.

in the gurley thread I posted information on his injury and projected recovery times.

to sum up:

Adrian Peterson is the only RB that has ever come back in less than 12 months and been highly productive after an ACL tear.

Most RB's dont get 'IT' back until closer to the 18 month mark from the date of injury.

Its possible Gurley being young and such a great Athlete may push that shorter to say.... 14 months.

but the bottom line is Tre Mason may actually be the better pick. Just dont expect him to be around for your fantasy football playoffs.

Given the large investment in Gurley, I'd expect the Rams to be careful with their investment.

Keep in mind, this prediction isnt a prediction on the amount of time it will take him to return to the lineup. This is a prediction on how long it will take to return AND be productive.

He will likely be in a time share situation for his first 4-6 weeks back.

Tg3 is just a medical clearance away from playing sunday...if it were to happen I wouldn't expect more than 8-10 touches but that would be monumental to anyone owning him as he could be big thr last 3/4 of the year .....

This is the age of 2nd and 3rd round rb....thr last high pick at rb is a monumental bust and despite that the Rams still liked him enough to spend the 10th pick on one coming off a big injury....if the Rams are in the hunt and gurley is healthy and capable I expect him to be the man

The left side of the Rams offensive line has the potential to be dominate in the run game

is there no one that believes Mason can do enough to hang on to the lead job?!

I thought Mason did enough last year to hang on to the starting job but all bets are off when you invest a top 10 pick in a RB, especially in this day of devalued RBs.

if mason turns in a good performance this week and maybe next... I'm wondering if they take their time on bringing Gurley around until end of the season to have him for Playoffs if they are in the hunt. And go with a 50/50 split going forward or ride the hot hand.... only thing that would make this situation more clear would be injury.

is there no one that believes Mason can do enough to hang on to the lead job?!

For this to happen, he needs to be on the field.

and his audition gets shorter by one week.

the window for him to prove himself while wearing a Rams uniform is closing, and hes not on the field.

I dont know what else to say.

I don't think Bennie is all that good , I would rank him serviceable for the Rams .

None will be more than a Flex option until Week 8 or so when Gurley takes over the lead. Even then it will most likely be a 50/40/10 split between Gurley/Mason/Benny.

Mason is the lead back if he's ready to go this week, but you will still see Benny in there a lot. Pretty much the only thing the skins have going for them is a decent front 7. Bam Bam Cunningham's head down legs churning style is probably the better way to attack their defense. Could easily see Mason bottled up for a lot of 1, 2 yard gains, maybe he breaks the 70 yarder to save you, but... first game back, don't think its likely. Gurley being reported as a possible go is just to make WAS D Cord scheme for him. No way Fisher puts Gurley out there on that field, too many people tear up their legs on that grass.

None will be more than a Flex option until Week 8 or so when Gurley takes over the lead. Even then it will most likely be a 50/40/10 split between Gurley/Mason/Benny.

Mason is the lead back if he's ready to go this week, but you will still see Benny in there a lot. Pretty much the only thing the skins have going for them is a decent front 7. Bam Bam Cunningham's head down legs churning style is probably the better way to attack their defense. Could easily see Mason bottled up for a lot of 1, 2 yard gains, maybe he breaks the 70 yarder to save you, but... first game back, don't think its likely. Gurley being reported as a possible go is just to make WAS D Cord scheme for him. No way Fisher puts Gurley out there on that field, too many people tear up their legs on that grass.

i dont think youll see gurley this week....but i highly doubt theyre throwing it out there to make the skins have to scheme for a rb...a rb who hasnt played a down in the nfl...how exactly do you scheme for a guy that may not touch the ball 5 times?

Gurley RB was dropped in my league, as was A Robinson WR. D Jackson WR and R Hillman RB are also available. Would you pick up any of these players if you were me? Who would you drop? See my lineup and active roster spots below. We do have a transaction limit of 18 by the way. So if not quite sure, will probably pass (for now).

in the gurley thread I posted information on his injury and projected recovery times.

to sum up:

Adrian Peterson is the only RB that has ever come back in less than 12 months and been highly productive after an ACL tear.

Most RB's dont get 'IT' back until closer to the 18 month mark from the date of injury.

Its possible Gurley being young and such a great Athlete may push that shorter to say.... 14 months.

but the bottom line is Tre Mason may actually be the better pick. Just dont expect him to be around for your fantasy football playoffs.

Given the large investment in Gurley, I'd expect the Rams to be careful with their investment.

Keep in mind, this prediction isnt a prediction on the amount of time it will take him to return to the lineup. This is a prediction on how long it will take to return AND be productive.

He will likely be in a time share situation for his first 4-6 weeks back.

I agree they'll ease him back in, but I think you discredit the advances in medicine, and how quick these guys recover now.

i dont think youll see gurley this week....but i highly doubt theyre throwing it out there to make the skins have to scheme for a rb...a rb who hasnt played a down in the nfl...how exactly do you scheme for a guy that may not touch the ball 5 times?

Just sayin, any time spent in a defensive meeting talking about Todd Gurley, is time spent not talking about the guys that will actually be out there. Probably makes almost no difference, but there's zero benefit Fisher saying "Todd's not ready" versus maybe some tiny little benefit saying "He might be out there for us."

Gurley RB was dropped in my league, as was A Robinson WR. D Jackson WR and R Hillman RB are also available. Would you pick up any of these players if you were me? Who would you drop? See my lineup and active roster spots below. We do have a transaction limit of 18 by the way. So if not quite sure, will probably pass (for now).

if you are in a keeper league, then Grab Gurley for sure.

if you are in a redraft, you grab him if you think you need a RB for the last few weeks and the playoffs or if you are thin at the position to begin with. Otherwise, you probably shouldnt touch him.

there are a lot of weeks with roster crunches that will make holding onto him a headache. probably not worth it in a redraft league.

When Gurley comes back its going to be Gurley time. Maybe not the first game, but when everyone sees how much better he is than Mason he is going to take over the carries. It will seem moronic to have Mason taking anywhere near the same carries when Gurley is so much better.

When Gurley comes back its going to be Gurley time. Maybe not the first game, but when everyone sees how much better he is than Mason he is going to take over the carries. It will seem moronic to have Mason taking anywhere near the same carries when Gurley is so much better.

yes, but at what point does that happen?

Gurley wont get 20 carries the week he comes back. He may not get that kind of workload until next year.

I think it starts with 6-10 carries for 2-3 games. Assuming no setbacks, he bumps up to 8-14 carries for another 2-3 games.

assuming he gets into the lineup for week 4, that doesnt leave a whole lot of time for him to help you in a redraft league.

You probably cant start him until at least week 10. And that's only if everything goes well.

for redraft, I wouldnt do it unless you have a comfort level with your team, and are certain you will make the playoffs with a dead roster spot for the first 8-12 weeks of the regular season.

He may be useful in the playoffs, but first you need to make the playoffs. Dead spots on the roster make managing bye weeks a lot harder.

for keeper or dynasty I'd bite the bullet and pick him up.

oh yeah, there is a 1 in 250 chance he pulls an ADP and is able to hit the field running full tilt.

I wouldnt bet on this outcome for your fantasy team.

I picked up Mason off waivers and dropped Reggie Bush......my RB 6 so not much of a gamble at this point and with Gurley probably being eased into a normal workload, hoping he puts up decent stats for 4-5 weeks and i can unload him

yes, but at what point does that happen?

Gurley wont get 20 carries the week he comes back. He may not get that kind of workload until next year.

I think it starts with 6-10 carries for 2-3 games. Assuming no setbacks, he bumps up to 8-14 carries for another 2-3 games.

assuming he gets into the lineup for week 4, that doesnt leave a whole lot of time for him to help you in a redraft league.

You probably cant start him until at least week 10. And that's only if everything goes well.

for redraft, I wouldnt do it unless you have a comfort level with your team, and are certain you will make the playoffs with a dead roster spot for the first 8-12 weeks of the regular season.

He may be useful in the playoffs, but first you need to make the playoffs. Dead spots on the roster make managing bye weeks a lot harder.

for keeper or dynasty I'd bite the bullet and pick him up.

Idk when it will be. When he comes back isnt the point. Its when he does come back i can see maybe 1 game of limited work. He will look so much better than overrated Mason that the next game it will be stupid to really limit his carries. Once he is cleared theres no reason to hold him back besides conditioning.

Tre Mason was useless last year, I would never be confident enough to start him and expect decent production.

Tre Mason was useless last year, I would never be confident enough to start him and expect decent production.

Oh he was useless? 900 total combined yards and 5td in 12 games and 9 starts with 10 fantasy points per game last year. 4.3ypc. Do a bit of research before making statements like this, Mason came on the scene and was electric, taking over that backfield.

Oh he was useless? 900 total combined yards and 5td in 12 games and 9 starts with 10 fantasy points per game last year. 4.3ypc. Do a bit of research before making statements like this, Mason came on the scene and was electric, taking over that backfield.

electric? 25 percent of his carries went for 0 or negative yards......

electric? do teams with electric backs take backs 10th overall who are coming off a major knee injury?

Gurley has the most talent.

We were never Questioning his talent. We are questioning his health.

The Best RB in the world wont put up huge numbers while still recovering from an ACL injury. He needs to get HEALTHY.

That is the issue. How fast does it happen?

The initial question on this thread is which is the RB to own?

the general concensus is that it depends on your situation. I guess it also depends on when you think Gurley gets healthy and receives a full workload.

electric? 25 percent of his carries went for 0 or negative yards......

electric? do teams with electric backs take backs 10th overall who are coming off a major knee injury?

Ok whatever, disregard the electric comment, those other facts I listed about his season support my argument. 10 fpnts per game. Also Barry Sanders notoriously was stuffed or took a loss more than any other rb ever and he was pretty electric. No im not comparing Mason to him but im saying thats not a foolproof argument. FWIW, getting no gain or stuffed usually is an OLine problem. The fact that he had all those stuffs yet still had 4.3ypc is another upward trend. As far as the Gurley pick, on draft day it was widely panned and everyone was scratching their heads. No one had the Rams taking Gurley. Not saying it was a bad pick, but it was controversial and universally was said that they should have taken a dif position.

Fine not useless but definitely feast or famine. Highly inconsistent week to week last year, you're looking at total production stats, I look at consistency.

He had one week (week 13) against Oakland where he blew up for massive points. Otherwise he was either below 7 points a week, or would put up arong 10-14. Playing Mason was an extremely frustrating roll of the dice. Also in the playoff weeks in most leagues, he posted 6.6 points, then 2.3 points, which probably sunk most teams that started him.

I stand by my statement, other than retracting "useless" for "highly risky and inconsistent".

Mason was not anywhere near, not in the realm of electric. I was so weak at rb and still didnt want to start him besides the oakland game. You are blinded with your Mason love. Not really sure why its so strong.

Mason was not anywhere near, not in the realm of electric. I was so weak at rb and still didnt want to start him besides the oakland game. You are blinded with your Mason love. Not really sure why its so strong.

Exactly this. See my post above. Mason's stats were extremely erratic all season long.

Maybe it was just the contrast between him and Zac Stacey. It was like night and day. Plus its the Rams who were godawful so any production looked like good production.

i can agree with tantastic about the rams line being bad last year...and the qb situation was also bad which did not help....they addressed both in the offseason......

but like i said....they dont view mason as a difference maker...which is what they need on offense....they view gurley as a special talent, bellcow, and difference maker.....fisher and snead need to start winning games to keep their jobs....theyve been building a nice defense and showed some potential in spurts...but they need to start translating that to wins....which is why i think gurley gets some good work once he gets going and they are all comfortable with it

Yea I agree why draft Gurley if the Rams already had the rb they thought would be their go to guy .

Yea I agree why draft Gurley if the Rams already had the rb they thought would be their go to guy .

yup

and i keep hearing people say they think theyll baby gurley and get him ready for next year...and im not saying they wont and that might be their way of thinking......but like ive said....there may not be much time for snead/fisher if they dont start winning now.....and this regime needs something from gurley asap to either win games now or show they have something that can help them win games soon......or the rams might be making a change and then another regime is left with an asset they didnt want or ask for...

yup

and i keep hearing people say they think theyll baby gurley and get him ready for next year...and im not saying they wont and that might be their way of thinking......but like ive said....there may not be much time for snead/fisher if they dont start winning now.....and this regime needs something from gurley asap to either win games now or show they have something that can help them win games soon......or the rams might be making a change and then another regime is left with an asset they didnt want or ask for...

Agree this is a must win now league and that' means if they can play you play the best talent you have , and if and or when ready that will be Gurley .

Exactly this. See my post above. Mason's stats were extremely erratic all season long.

I picked him up last year, and he ended up saving my season when other RBs' went down.

He put up RB2 numbers behind a subpar line as a rookie. This leads me to believe he can definitely start in this league, and with experience and improved line play could potentially put up RB1 numbers.

I dont see it happening in St. Louis as long as Gurley is the lead dog, but he could put up some reasonable numbers while Gurley is out (if he is healthy)

he was going as a RB4 in most drafts Ive been involved in. I do think he's better than an RB4, but you need to keep your expectations reasonable. that would be RB2/3 numbers until they start giving significant workload to Gurley.

if you are expecting him to put up RB1 numbers, you are clearly deluding yourself and will be disappointed he didnt meet with your unrealistic expectations.

Any player who is going to start is worth something, the goal is to not overpay for that player. Mason will probably still get a couple of starts here and will get some significant playing time for the first 3-4 weeks after gurley's return. I'd bet on that. After that it gets kinda dicey for him and his playing time is largely dependant on how quickly Gurley recovers and gains playing time.