Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Everyone Gets A Trophy

A year ago I received an invitation from the head of Counseling Services at a major university to join faculty and administrators for discussions about how to deal with the decline in resilience among students. At the first meeting, we learned that emergency calls to Counseling had more than doubled over the past five years. Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

Faculty at the meetings noted that students emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices. Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such failure as the end of the world. Faculty also noted an increased tendency for students to blame them (the faculty) for low gradesthey werent explicit enough in telling the students just what the test would cover or just what would distinguish a good paper from a bad one. They described an increased tendency to see a poor grade as reason to complain rather than as reason to study more, or more effectively. Much of the discussions had to do with the amount of handholding faculty should do versus the degree to which the response should be something like, Buck up, this is college. Does the first response simply play into and perpetuate students neediness and unwillingness to take responsibility? Does the second response create the possibility of serious emotional breakdown, or, who knows, maybe even suicide?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201509/declining-student-resilience-serious-problem-colleges

You see more than half this board is a bunch of focking real life losers and pussies. They got it from college or home, fock half of them can't even get jobs.

You see more than half this board is a bunch of focking real life losers and pussies. They got it from college or home, fock half of them can't even get jobs.

Spot on right there

No doubt, so many cry because people won't schlob Bradys knob.

And do little more than troll every docking thread .

Then they get banned and have to create an alias to come back because they have no life outside of this place.

Seems like anecdotal evidence to me, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

but everyone in their social media circle thinks they are totally valuable and make great comments regarding each thing they posit as fact. the audience they believe are always watching them give them glowing reviews and "thumbs-up" every mundane thought they feel compelled to espouse. surely the teachers know that reality is what we make of it, now what it is. our thoughts are valid and are worth A's. (thumbs-up!) ask every 11-yr old boy participating in a sporting if he believes every single person attending is there only to watch him. he will tell you he knows they aren't, but he feels like they all really are. mental growth has been severely stunted by social media.

America: Home of the free, land of the victim?

The world has enough real problems without declaring everyone a “victim.”

Bill Clinton says Hillary is a victim of a right-wing conspiracy.

Lindsay Lohan, when jailed for driving drunk and breking parole, says she’s a victim of cruel and unusual punishment.

Michael Sam says his NFL career would have gone better had he not come out as gay.

We change people’s character by teaching them that “victimhood” is a way to get attention and moral status.

A Philadelphia dentist caught groping his patients’ breasts said he is a victim of frotteurism, a disease that compels you to fondle breasts. Really.

People benefit by playing the victim.

Activists look for people they can declare victims, to bring attention to their causes.

The New York Times once called the Super Bowl the “Abuse Bowl,” claiming that during the game many more women are abused than usual because their men get crazed watching violence. CBS called Super Bowl Sunday a “day of dread.” The Boston Globe claimed a study showed calls to anti-violence emergency lines go up 40 percent during the game.

Then Ken Ringle of the Washington Post tried to trace those claims.

The Globe reporter admitted she never saw the study in question but got the numbers from the left-wing group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting. FAIR said they got them from a psychiatrist on “Good Morning America.” That psychiatrist referred callers to another psychiatrist, who said, “I haven't been any more successful than you in tracking down any of this.”

The “Super Bowl victim” claim was bunk.

Sometimes I feel like a victim. I stutter. Had today's disability laws existed when I began work, would I have fought to overcome my stuttering? Maybe not. I might have sued Fox, demanding they “accommodate my disability” by giving me a non-speaking job. Maybe I would have just stopped working and collected a disability check.

I also felt like a victim the day I taped a TV report on how pro wrestling is fake, and a wrestler beat me up, hitting me on both ears.

Weeks afterward, loud noises hurt my ears. Someone then said that that the wrestler’s boss, Vince McMahon, told him to hit me, so I sued McMahon.

As part of the lawsuit, McMahon’s lawyers demanded I see a certain doctor, who told me, “Your ear pain is a jurosomatic illness."

“What’s that?” I said.

He answered, "Jurosomatic ... like psychosomatic. You hold onto your ear pain because you’re involved in a lawsuit.”

I was furious. I screamed at him, “You haven’t even examined me, and you make this accusation?”

But guess what? After the World Wrestling Federation settled the lawsuit and paid me, my ear pain slowly went away. Was I holding onto pain because litigation kept reminding me that I was a victim?

Maybe.

It makes me wonder about those well-intended government programs meant to help the disabled. Social Security disability money used to go to blind people, people in wheelchairs, people clearly disabled.

But now billions go to people who say they’re disabled by things like headaches and back pain. Disability payments have increased so much that the program will soon go broke.

But the increase in payments makes no sense.

Medicine improved since 1990. People do less hard manual labor. There should be fewer disabled people. Why are there more?

Perhaps it’s jurosomatic pain? Or government-handout-omatic pain?

Some people are just inclined to complain, and the modern welfare state encourages that. Lawyers made it worse by encouraging people to sue, rather than strive . That changed America.

When you reward something, you get more of it.

We change people’s character by teaching them that “victimhood” is a way to get attention and moral status.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/30/america-home-free-land-victim.html?intcmp=hplnws

America: Home of the free, land of the victim?

The world has enough real problems without declaring everyone a victim.

Bill Clinton says Hillary is a victim of a right-wing conspiracy.

Lindsay Lohan, when jailed for driving drunk and breking parole, says shes a victim of cruel and unusual punishment.

Michael Sam says his NFL career would have gone better had he not come out as gay.

We change peoples character by teaching them that victimhood is a way to get attention and moral status.

A Philadelphia dentist caught groping his patients breasts said he is a victim of frotteurism, a disease that compels you to fondle breasts. Really.

People benefit by playing the victim.

Activists look for people they can declare victims, to bring attention to their causes.

The New York Times once called the Super Bowl the Abuse Bowl, claiming that during the game many more women are abused than usual because their men get crazed watching violence. CBS called Super Bowl Sunday a day of dread. The Boston Globe claimed a study showed calls to anti-violence emergency lines go up 40 percent during the game.

Then Ken Ringle of the Washington Post tried to trace those claims.

The Globe reporter admitted she never saw the study in question but got the numbers from the left-wing group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting. FAIR said they got them from a psychiatrist on Good Morning America. That psychiatrist referred callers to another psychiatrist, who said, I haven't been any more successful than you in tracking down any of this.

The Super Bowl victim claim was bunk.

Sometimes I feel like a victim. I stutter. Had today's disability laws existed when I began work, would I have fought to overcome my stuttering? Maybe not. I might have sued Fox, demanding they accommodate my disability by giving me a non-speaking job. Maybe I would have just stopped working and collected a disability check.

I also felt like a victim the day I taped a TV report on how pro wrestling is fake, and a wrestler beat me up, hitting me on both ears.

Weeks afterward, loud noises hurt my ears. Someone then said that that the wrestlers boss, Vince McMahon, told him to hit me, so I sued McMahon.

As part of the lawsuit, McMahons lawyers demanded I see a certain doctor, who told me, Your ear pain is a jurosomatic illness."

Whats that? I said.

He answered, "Jurosomatic ... like psychosomatic. You hold onto your ear pain because youre involved in a lawsuit.

I was furious. I screamed at him, You havent even examined me, and you make this accusation?

But guess what? After the World Wrestling Federation settled the lawsuit and paid me, my ear pain slowly went away. Was I holding onto pain because litigation kept reminding me that I was a victim?

Maybe.

It makes me wonder about those well-intended government programs meant to help the disabled. Social Security disability money used to go to blind people, people in wheelchairs, people clearly disabled.

But now billions go to people who say theyre disabled by things like headaches and back pain. Disability payments have increased so much that the program will soon go broke.

But the increase in payments makes no sense.

Medicine improved since 1990. People do less hard manual labor. There should be fewer disabled people. Why are there more?

Perhaps its jurosomatic pain? Or government-handout-omatic pain?

Some people are just inclined to complain, and the modern welfare state encourages that. Lawyers made it worse by encouraging people to sue, rather than strive . That changed America.

When you reward something, you get more of it.

We change peoples character by teaching them that victimhood is a way to get attention and moral status.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/09/30/america-home-free-land-victim.html?intcmp=hplnws

And right wingers never play the victim game. Fair and balanced, if you say so.

And right wingers never play the victim game. Fair and balanced, if you say so.

Right wingers are victims of the liberal media red herring.

My wife just had a child transferred to her class. One of the reasons was, the mother didn't like the original teacher using a red pen to correct assignments? :dunno: