Sign in to follow this  
cnasty

OBJ vs Norman

You may recall a similar topic I made last week discussing Julio v Norman. I come to you this week asking a similar question related to OBJ and Norman. I trust Eli and the Giants a little more to get OBJ a few nice passes. However, I think a discussion is warranted that a consideration be made if you have better options.

Who would be better? HeII, who COULD be a better play?

While I have a feeling that I will receive many of the same "you have to start the guy" respones, I'd like to ask for a deeper discussion on the topic.

I feel that many a season are riding on this weekend's game.

Thoughts?

Norman is the real deal, but OBJ is playing on another level right now. I anticipate that OBJ has a fairly average day. Of course, I'm playing against him and hoping that Norman blanks him. :banana:

I have to face Beckham and Antonio Brown and I'm not too hopeful...

Hoping for games like 5 for 55-70 and 0

Bracing for a more realistic 6-8 catches each, 130+ yards and 1-2 tds each...

Just like top end wrs and rbs have bad games once in a while, this may be where Norman gets served a bit and Denver's defense finally breaks on the back end with the lack of pressure from their defensive line over the second half of the season...

In week 10, ODB owners faced the Belichick-will-shut-down-an-opponent's-top-weapon scare. Beckham was targeted 12 times and came away with 4-104-1.

In week 10, ODB owners faced the Belichick-will-shut-down-an-opponent's-top-weapon scare. Beckham was targeted 12 times and came away with 4-104-1.

That claim was all bark and no bite tho. Norman bites.

I understand lowering your expectations. But let's get real, no one is going to bench him.

About all came on a 87 yd TD. Only because of a horrible play by the safety.

Ability to do so is why you can't bench him. But Norman has shutdown everyone. The only hope is the Giants put Odell in the slot a lot and Norman doesn't follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1svTmHKikE

there's a real danger in a line like that--inconsistency. beckham's catch rate was 33%, and 87 of those yards came on a single fade route due to the safety taking a bad angle. you can't just write off big plays as aberrations, especially with a guy like ODB. but you can't bank on them either (otherwise djax owners would always be happy). for all intents and purposes, the pats had their way with him--he just happened to pop one due to a coverage error.

if you want to argue that ODB causes a lot of coverage errors, that's a fair point. but the week 10 stat line would be a lot more convincing if it was 8/104/1, indicating the ability to get open consistently rather than occasionally.

So if you can play any 2 WR this week, would you start ODB? In a redraft there is almost no way you sit ODB but there are so many options out there for types of leagues. Is ODB top 2 this week? I don't think so.

Beckham I think will have a good game and the Giants will upset the Panthers .

i've been thinking about this a lot lately, but i just can't see myself sitting him. He single-handedly won the game for me after I lost palmer early in the game.

Have him at my flex right now over john brown (vs philly) and bryce brown. Since I have to roll with Mccarron at QB I probably need all the help I can get to win this week, and the ceiling is too much. This game COULD get out of hand because carolina is on another level right now, and ron could end up sitting his studs for the playoffs like last week. There's no better time than garbage time in fantasy, and I could see 100+ yards and a TD in the 4th quarter alone.

I am also in a state of confusion!

I have Alshon Jeffrey, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones and OBJ. I know, its a lot of studs, I made a trade for Jones when Jeffrey was hurt and kept him. So I really could use some advise. I am really tempted to bench OBJ under these circumstances. Thoughts?

...the week 10 stat line would be a lot more convincing if it was 8/104/1, indicating the ability to get open consistently rather than occasionally.

To be honest, the number of receptions don't matter. Just the fact that he was targeted 12 times (in only 3 of his first 9 games had he been targeted at least 12 times or higher...), meant that a decision to keep him in the lineup was a good one.

Speaking of targets, Brandin Cooks faced off against CAR in week 13 and received 10 targets, his second highest total of the season. He also had his second highest fantasy production of the season. I went back in the archives to see what a well known guru had forecast for Cooks that game and he projected that Cooks would be shadowed by Norman 70% of the time and had written him off as a fantasy investment that week. Cooks responded with 6-104-1.

Now that's an exception because Norman is a force, but even the best in the business aren't immune to variance.

The world famous catch against DAL last year taught us that ODB can stick a hand up where defenders can't reach and come down with a big play. Even if it only happens once during a game, the result can be big enough to provide a week-winning difference.

I am also in a state of confusion!

I have Alshon Jeffrey, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones and OBJ. I know, its a lot of studs, I made a trade for Jones when Jeffrey was hurt and kept him. So I really could use some advise. I am really tempted to bench OBJ under these circumstances. Thoughts?

I would be torn between OBJ and Marshall in this situation. It depends on if you think the carolina game is going to get out of hand early or not. I really see Rivera sitting most of his studs in preparation for the playoffs if they're up by 3 touchdowns in the 4th. Dallas has a bad record, but it's all because of their offense. The defense isn't terrible.

It would depend on the rest of your matchups. I see Marshall having a higher floor but OBJ having the higher ceiling.

What mcgruber said about CAR being on another level right now had me stopping to think about the fact that the CAR DEF is more than just Norman. The CAR DEF is 3rd in the league in sacks and if Eli doesn't have time to throw, ODB can't be hit.

To my surprise I found that the NYG offense's sack rate per game is 1.6 and only 3 offenses in the league have a lower sack rate than that. That will help Eli have a fighting chance to get the ball to ODB.

I'm buying a few shares of ODB in DFS this week. This week, he's the only WR I'll consider paying up for.

Worst possible buy for the price, dont do it! There has got to be a top wr not going against a guy that has shut down everyone hes faced. Giants know this and will gameplan away from ODB at times rather than circle his name and draw arrows pointing to him like ATL did and failed last week.

• Like 1

I would be torn between OBJ and Marshall in this situation. It depends on if you think the carolina game is going to get out of hand early or not. I really see Rivera sitting most of his studs in preparation for the playoffs if they're up by 3 touchdowns in the 4th. Dallas has a bad record, but it's all because of their offense. The defense isn't terrible.

It would depend on the rest of your matchups. I see Marshall having a higher floor but OBJ having the higher ceiling.

This is the first time this year I can't decide what to do. I am still leaning on benching OBJ. You have a great point though.

Don't die/get eliminated on 'getting brilliant at the wrong time' hill. It is ODB. He has an adult QB who isn't scared to throw it to him under any circumstance. And he's explosive enough to make his week with one big catch. You picked him in the 1st or 2nd round. And, with the exception of the few weeks of hammy shenanigans, he's paid it back.

The ONLY way you bench him is if you have obvious supreme/superior alternatives. And there aren't a bunch of those this week or most weeks. ODB. His bad game is something like 5 for 62. Julio and Marshall are two of the few.

You may recall a similar topic I made last week discussing Julio v Norman. I come to you this week asking a similar question related to OBJ and Norman. I trust Eli and the Giants a little more to get OBJ a few nice passes. However, I think a discussion is warranted that a consideration be made if you have better options.

Who would be better? HeII, who COULD be a better play?

While I have a feeling that I will receive many of the same "you have to start the guy" respones, I'd like to ask for a deeper discussion on the topic.

I feel that many a season are riding on this weekend's game.

Thoughts?

Don't die/get eliminated on 'getting brilliant at the wrong time' hill. It is ODB. He has an adult QB who isn't scared to throw it to him under any circumstance. And he's explosive enough to make his week with one big catch. You picked him in the 1st or 2nd round. And, with the exception of the few weeks of hammy shenanigans, he's paid it back.

The ONLY way you bench him is if you have obvious supreme/superior alternatives. And there aren't a bunch of those this week or most weeks. ODB. His bad game is something like 5 for 62. Julio and Marshall are two of the few.

Well, that is the problem I am having. I have Marshall, J. Jones, Jeffrey's and OBJ. So You can see the nightmare that is spinning around in my head. haha.

Riverdogs, do you have a pick 3? Or a pick 2? If it is two, I'd advocate Mashall and Julio over ODB even though I don't love it. If it is three...we need to get nerdy discussions going about Vikes health, Alshon's recent past, and all of that.

Riverdogs, do you have a pick 3? Or a pick 2? If it is two, I'd advocate Mashall and Julio over ODB even though I don't love it. If it is three...we need to get nerdy discussions going about Vikes health, Alshon's recent past, and all of that.

Get nerdy, please. I have to pick 3.

Get nerdy, please. I have to pick 3.

Marshall on fire

ODB on fire

Julio hasn't scored since week 8.

It's between Julio and Alshon.

Marshall on fire

ODB on fire

Julio hasn't scored since week 8.

It's between Julio and Alshon.

Julio man. Julio. TY Hilton got 132 yards with Old Man Hassellbeck. Matthew Melting Ice is terrible, but c'mon now.

I'm in the same boat. I've got fitz , Marshall, and odb. Been riding them all year into the playoffs. I've also got cooks sitting on the bench and he has a pretty juicy matchup in prime time vs the lions. Brees lights it up in prime time and cooks plays well at home. I'm considering benching odb or fitz for cooks. Odb matchup scares me. I think he will get his but I'm liking the cooks matchup.

It is possible that any player, including a red-hot ODB, has a bad week against a quality defense.

However, one does not bench this guy when it matters the most.

He is as good as any WR in the league, and is on a tear.

It is possible that any player, including a red-hot ODB, has a bad week against a quality defense.

However, one does not bench this guy when it matters the most.

'start your studs' is an actual thing.

Giants coaches have been hinting they are going to move OBJ around alot including the slot position. I'm starting him, even a mediocre day is a high floor and he has alot of upside potential.

I'd rather lose with the best my team has to offer - which is OBJ - than try to be tricky with a gut shot replacement.

I'm combining that platitude with a hunch that I cannot shake. I had a hunch about a month ago that this is the game that CAR loses. If they do, it will be a high-scoring affair, and OBJ will more than get his.

Psychologically, I have not seen a team openly being talked about as sitting their starters actually mentally playing as sharp as they need to in order to win out.

I have to start two WRs - I could FLEX a third (and probably will). I dropped Dez, and replaced him with Lockett and Edelman. I also have Maclin, and I love his matchup against BAL. I am facing the best team in the league, and they're going with Russell Wilson this week, which makes me want to flex Lockett.

He has Julio and DeAndre; that's the strength of his team. His RBs are weak this week and have tougher matchups.

Earlier in the year, I traded Char Week and Kelce for OBJ. I have to play him against the team that traded him away.

Get on the poetic justice train. OBJ is still building his legacy; this is going to be another brick.

I think it should be a pretty interesting battle between OBJ and Norman...

You a time traveller?

I'd rather lose with the best my team has to offer - which is OBJ - than try to be tricky with a gut shot replacement.

I'm combining that platitude with a hunch that I cannot shake. I had a hunch about a month ago that this is the game that CAR loses. If they do, it will be a high-scoring affair, and OBJ will more than get his.

Psychologically, I have not seen a team openly being talked about as sitting their starters actually mentally playing as sharp as they need to in order to win out.

I have to start two WRs - I could FLEX a third (and probably will). I dropped Dez, and replaced him with Lockett and Edelman. I also have Maclin, and I love his matchup against BAL. I am facing the best team in the league, and they're going with Russell Wilson this week, which makes me want to flex Lockett.

He has Julio and DeAndre; that's the strength of his team. His RBs are weak this week and have tougher matchups.

Earlier in the year, I traded Char Week and Kelce for OBJ. I have to play him against the team that traded him away.

Get on the poetic justice train. OBJ is still building his legacy; this is going to be another brick.

Uncanny.

OBJ did add another brick to his legacy in that game - and I almost got it right with the upset call :lol:

Will be interesting to see if Beckham and Norman can co-exist in the Pro Bowl.

OBJ should be plenty rested. He never gets worn down from playing playoff games.