Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Dammit... I need a good fiction book to read

Did you see the trailer for the movie The 5th wave? It played at Star Wars and said from the best selling novel.

You already read or seen it.

Nothing original about it; the plot points are taken almost literally from every other story out there of the same ilk.

My suggestion for the OP, based on his preferences, would be:

The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss (book 1 of 3 book series)

My suggestion for the OP, based on his preferences, would be:

The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss (book 1 of 3 book series)

Yeah that was a great book. I think it was so good and because it was his first novel, he broke himself. Maybe went a little crazy. The second book took forever and while good, wasn't like the first. Guess we'll hold our breath forever in the last book.

Some of my favorites

Tad Williams Otherland (Sci-fi 4 books)

Tad Williams Memory, Thorn and Sorrow (fantasy 4 books)

Tad Williams Shadowmarch (fantasy 4 books)

CS Friedman Coldfire trilogy

CS Friedman Magister trilogy

David Farland Runelords trilogy

What's it about Sux ?

Mitch Rapp is a counter-terrorism operative[2] employed, first unofficially then officially, by the CIA. The primary focus of the character is thwarting Middle Eastern terrorist attacks on the United States and he is presented as an aggressive operative who is willing to take measures that are more extreme than might be considered commonly acceptable.

Sounds up my alley. Thanks. Almost like Splinter Cell books.

Coldfire was excellent, great ideas and cool magic system

I agree.

The Magister trilogy was good too (if you dont mind the main character being a woman), the magic system was a little bit inventive. Women can access magic, but give away a little bit of their life every time they do. Men can access magic, but no one knows what fuels them. Women magic users (witches) tend to live fast and burn out quickly, while male magic users (Magisters) are nearly immortal.

Anyone read John Corey books by DeMille ?

I'm on the 4th right now. It's good stuff. Maybe I am a little biased as it takes place here on Long Island (places I've been to) and NYC (same)

I'm surprised shotsup doesn't think reading is "gay."

Dumb.

The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly are my favorites.

So the jim butcher knock off wasnt that good? Have you tried Lev Grossmans " the magicians", going to be a new series on syfy.

Leviathan Wakes is another by james corey. The new syfy series the Expanse is based on it.

Read he Lev Grossman's awhile ago. I liked em.

I'll check out Leviathan Wakes

The Stand-Stephen King

Best book about the end of the world I've read. Really big, though, over 1000 pages. Get the unedited version.

I have read this at least 3 times because it's well written, a good story and I love a long read. But I am not sure where I would rank it among my favorites. Too much Deus ex machina.

MM Kaye's "The Far Pavilions" is another long read that gives a history lesson on Colonial Afghanistan.

"East of Eden" is my all time favorite. Can't go wrong with it. But you have to read it carefully.

Speaking of King I personally love Salem's Lot,none of that teenage bullsh!t vampire stuff nor a vampire looking like Nosferatu(as the tv movies were horrible adaptations).There's a part that takes place in a cemetery where the caretaker is getting ready to fill in the grave of a young boy who was bitten and what follows is a great descriptive passage that King is so good at,gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

I think you've already checked mine out, beer, but I'll put in a plug for my fantasy series...

Book 1 is "The End of Heroes".

I just started reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie. Book 1 of The First Law Trilogy. Very good so far.

I just started reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie. Book 1 of The First Law Trilogy. Very good so far.

I've read that series. Abercrombies stuff is pretty bloody.

I liked his "best served cold" series too.

The Q'uran

as well as the sequel "Dreams of My Father"