Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Going to put my dog down

My wife and I have made the decision to put my dog down after christmas. He is a 12 year old lab / sheperd mix. He was/is a great dog, and my best friend. I had him even before I had a wife and kid, and he will be greatly missed.

Question for anybody here. What was that vet visit like for you? When I was a kid, we had family dogs, but of course my dad always did the dirty work. Now as an adult, plus him being my dog, it's my responsibility, and most likely the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm definitely the "I value animals more than people type".

So what am I going to expect? Will they let me be with him when it happens? And then I guess thats just it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I bring back a sad memory.

It sucks to have to do it, but sometimes it is just the right time. Check with your vet and see if they will do a house call. We know our vet, so she came to the house and our dog was able to pass in his own bed. Then she took him and he was cremated. It will cost a little more, but it is worth it.

If you go to the vet, they will definitely let you be with the dog when it happens and the dog just literally goes to sleep. It is not some sort of painful experience. It is how I would want to go.

Good luck.

The vet people are pretty good about helping, alot like funeral home people. They arent going to be cruel or unsympathetic.

The vet people are pretty good about helping, alot like funeral home people. They arent going to be cruel or unsympathetic.

Yeah, most are awesome with it.

I like the house call idea if it works for you.

Good luck.

This is part of why i havenot had a fog while my kids were really young. Didn't wantthem dealing with death too young

I am in exactly the same situation. 13 year old Irish Terrier. He has trouble getting up off the floor. We have to sedate often to quite him down. He barks and growls for no apparent reason.

He is my dog, but there is a wife and three grown kids. Naturally, the dog was there for the kids' childhoods. The vet is close by and I will probably take him in for the shot early next year.

dude let me tell you. I put my dog down at the vet probably 4 or 5 years ago. I talked about it here. it was the worst experience of my life. if I ever have to do it again I'm going to take the dog our and blow it's head off. I'm not trying to be insensitive but it was heartbreaking and if I'm going to go through that again I'll do it in my own way. hunting ducks or chasing squirrels or something. do what you want. I will never ever watch that again. ever.

20 years ago we brought in 2 dogs about a year apart from each other. we had to put the first one (male) down about 7 years ago. about a year later the female was starting to fade. we knew was was coming. a couple of months before her degeneration we brought in a new puppy. if gave her a little last spark. putting them down was easily one of the hardest things i have had to do. there are going to be a lot of reminders around the house.

my best.

Damn it's dusty in here. DUSTY I tell you !

I have a friend out in wrong coast and his wife started her own business doing house calls for this sort of thing. Unfortunately it is a very good business for them. :sad:

dude let me tell you. I put my dog down at the vet probably 4 or 5 years ago. I talked about it here. it was the worst experience of my life. if I ever have to do it again I'm going to take the dog our and blow it's head off. I'm not trying to be insensitive but it was ###### heartbreaking and if I'm going to go through that again I'll do it in my own way. hunting ducks or chasing squirrels or something. do what you want. I will never ever watch that again. ever.

This is what I am expecting and if it was a hundred years ago, I would take care of it myself. Just me and the dog outside. I am going to have a hard time setting up an appointment and taking him in.

When they get a shot at the vet, they go to sleep fast, no?

This is what I am expecting and if it was a hundred years ago, I would take care of it myself. Just me and the dog outside. I am going to have a hard time setting up an appointment and taking him in.

When they get a shot at the vet, they go to sleep fast, no?

it was no where near fast enough. 2 shots and probably 10 min. like I said. do your thing. I will never ever ever do that again. 100 years ago 1 year ago or now. never again

it was no where near fast enough. 2 shots and probably 10 min. like I said. do your thing. I will never ever ever do that again. 100 years ago 1 year ago or now. never again

Man. It sounds like they have the pet thing as focked up as the people thing. Not being able to use the best drug for a quick death. I saw a film long ago about the dog catchers in NYC. A vet put one dog after another to sleep and they lasted about two/three seconds. They just put their heads down and they were gone. I am gong to have to ask some questions.

Man. It sounds like they have the pet thing as focked up as the people thing. Not being able to use the best drug for a quick death. I saw a film long ago about the dog catchers in NYC. A vet put one dog after another to sleep and they lasted about two/three seconds. They just put their heads down and they were gone. I am gong to have to ask some questions.

Kilroy probably went to a terrible vet or more likely his cousin's trailer two doors down

Kilroy probably went to a terrible vet or more likely his cousin's trailer two doors down

Do vets check your credit first?

You could old yeller him. Anytime putting down a dog that you've had that long sucks and it's one of those experiences you don't ever want to go through

Awwwe, :( I can't imagine. Best wishes. ((hugs))

• Like 1

I feel your pain Kopy. I had to put down my 10yo Lab/Shepard mix last year. It's the hardest thing I ever did. He too was my best friend. He devoloped tumurs and there was nothing they could do. Me and my wife brought him in on a Monday morning. I knew the night before we were going to have to make that decision. I gave him the best meal of his life. Took him for a long walk. And hugged and kissed him all night. I think he knew. He stayed by my side all night trying to protect me from what was upsetting me.

The next morning I brought him in. The vet gave us the diagnosis and gave us time.to say our last goodbyes. He gave Bogey a sedative and said he'd be back in 30 minutes. My wife didn't want to be there for the final procedure. She kissed him and me and went home. When the Vet came back he explained what was going to happen. They basically administer a drug that stops their heart. It took less than thirty seconds. It was fast and painless. He didn't suffer at all. Even though it was hard, it was the right decision and one I would do again if I ever had to. And I did three weeks ago when my father was sick and adhered to his living will. I am at peace with both.

But it's tough. It took me months to not want to cry when I thought of him. Or when I smelled his blanket just to be close to him when I needed to. But it does get better. You'll eventually stop remembering that day and start rembering all of the things that made him who he was to you. Some nights I'll walk our route and pass by the three cats he was scarred sh!tless of and laugh. Me: You big poosay. You could take all three of them out and have them cross the street. 😃 Bogey: Fawk that! They scare the crap out of me. How do they get bigger so fast and what's up with those claws?

Be there for him. I promise that you'll never regret it.

• Like 1

My wife and I have made the decision to put my dog down after christmas. He is a 12 year old lab / sheperd mix. He was/is a great dog, and my best friend. I had him even before I had a wife and kid, and he will be greatly missed.

Question for anybody here. What was that vet visit like for you? When I was a kid, we had family dogs, but of course my dad always did the dirty work. Now as an adult, plus him being my dog, it's my responsibility, and most likely the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm definitely the "I value animals more than people type".

So what am I going to expect? Will they let me be with him when it happens? And then I guess thats just it.

So sorry to hear this man.

I have had to do this many times over the last 25 years.

IF the vet does NOT let you back with the dog, THAT is a deal breaker and you need to find another vet.

This dog probably gave you a lifetime of love. The LEAST you could do, is be with him to the very end, petting the beloved pet the ENTIRE time to comfort them. Do NOT let you pet die with strangers. This will SUCK ASS, but you owe it to your pet.

Another reason you want to go back there and be with the pet while they do this is so you KNOW it is done humanly. Had a vet try and tell me once I could go not go back and asked why. He told me because they inject it right into the heart and sometimes it can get ugly. I told him he was crazy and better not even think about doing some shtt like that. THAT was the first pet I ever put down. However, my father had already warned me about this practice. So I made the vet let me watch and he did it in the pet's front leg. Cat died in under 10 seconds after injection.

You have to talk to them too. Your voice is their comforting to them, even if they do not understand every word. Talk with them, tell them you love them, say their name and be petting them the ENTIRE time.

It is very hard to do, but you owe it to the pet.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this man.

I have had to do this many times over the last 25 years.

IF the vet does NOT let you back with the dog, THAT is a deal breaker and you need to find another vet.

This dog probably gave you a lifetime of love. The LEAST you could do, is be with him to the very end, petting the beloved pet the ENTIRE time to comfort them. Do NOT let you pet die with strangers. This will SUCK ASS, but you owe it to your pet.

Another reason you want to go back there and be with the pet while they do this is so you KNOW it is done humanly. Had a vet try and tell me once I could go not go back and asked why. He told me because they inject it right into the heart and sometimes it can get ugly. I told him he was crazy and better not even think about doing some shtt like that. THAT was the first pet I ever put down. However, my father had already warned me about this practice. So I made the vet let me watch and he did it in the pet's front leg. Cat died in under 10 seconds after injection.

You have to talk to them too. Your voice is their comforting to them, even if they do not understand every word. Talk with them, tell them you love them, say their name and be petting them the ENTIRE time.

It is very hard to do, but you owe it to the pet.

Yep. If I ever have to put Mooshy down, as hard as it would be on me, I will be holding her and talking to her to the end.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear his bro. Had to put the family cat down this past April and it was no doubt the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I was there with him at the end, petting him. Even though he was lethargic and couldn't move, he was purring when I was petting and talking to him. From the injection, it took about 20-30 seconds and he just fades away quietly. It broke my heart into a thousand pieces, but being there was the right thing. Good luck.

• Like 1

So sorry. If my cat died Id go on a shooting rampage. I love these cats more than any people, and I'm married.

There was another thread like this.

The main deal to think about- is is the vet wants to take the pet to the back, without you- be prepared for that question- and don't allow it.

Your pet doesn't deserve to die alone, in a strange room, with strangers.

Be there with them.

ask them how many shots it takes and how long will there be in between shots. the vet that killed Cain gave him a shot then walked out of the room to get the other. I was just not happy with it. it was already a heartbreaking experience after finding out at 12 he had cancer everywhere. to me it simply lasted too damn long.

As most, I'm going to be in the same boat soon. My lab is 11 and has been on 3 legs since he was 4. His mind and bodily functions are spot on but his ability to be mobile is getting to be a real challenging for him.

Kinda like a person with all the mental faculties but bed ridden.

I hope I will make the right decision, but for myself I would want quality of life over quantity of life and if I was bed ridden I'd be "OK" hopefully going to a better place.

Thanks for your best wishes. Me being wth him, no matter what will definitely happen. My biggest worry never having done anything like this is the length of time for the procedure to happen. 30 seconds i can do. 2 minutes and it looks like he's scared, and they might have to take me out in handcuffs.

I'm definitely going to set things up the day before. And if I don't like anything I hear, I'll go elsewhere.

Serious question and I don't mean to hijack or be inappropriate but what do you do if you have a big dog and he passes away naturally ?

Does the vet take the body from you ? Assuming you do not want to bury him in the back yard. That has to be a pretty brutal situation too. I never had dogs.

Anyway good luck Kopy.

ask them how many shots it takes and how long will there be in between shots. the vet that killed Cain gave him a shot then walked out of the room to get the other. I was just not happy with it. it was already a heartbreaking experience after finding out at 12 he had cancer everywhere. to me it simply lasted too damn long.

Thank you. I will do it.

My heart goes out to all of you facing this. Simply cannot imagine..

• Like 1

Thanks for your best wishes. Me being wth him, no matter what will definitely happen. My biggest worry never having done anything like this is the length of time for the procedure to happen. 30 seconds i can do. 2 minutes and it looks like he's scared, and they might have to take me out in handcuffs.

I'm definitely going to set things up the day before. And if I don't like anything I hear, I'll go elsewhere.

The vet told me when he administered the last drug that he would take three big breaths and pass. And that's exactly what happend. It was very quick. And humane.

Sucks. My dog has been around for the length of my marriage and my son's whole life. I can't imagine losing him. The sad thing about pets is you know you're going to outlive them.

Sorry for your loss.

As most, I'm going to be in the same boat soon. My lab is 11 and has been on 3 legs since he was 4. His mind and bodily functions are spot on but his ability to be mobile is getting to be a real challenging for him.

Kinda like a person with all the mental faculties but bed ridden.

I hope I will make the right decision, but for myself I would want quality of life over quantity of life and if I was bed ridden I'd be "OK" hopefully going to a better place.

Dude, you need to look into this medicine called Metacam. It is very expensive, but is AMAZING. I had a Border Collie named Samantha. Her mobility was really bad at about age 13. Thought I was going to have to put her down when I found this wonder drug for dogs. I ended up getting almost 5 more years with her. She struggled to walk and go outside. Within three day of being on this medicine, I caught her focking trotting in the yard. I am not kidding. It is AMAZING stuff, but very pricey. GOOD LUCK man.

WOW. Sound like a moron vet to me. I have NEVER heard anyone going through some shtt like that. All the pets I have to do this to, one shot and they were gone in under 15 seconds at the most. Sounds like your vet needs his ass beat to me.

Tough time, no matter how it is done.

We had to put one of our two dogs down last Christmas time and my other has cancer and will go within the next 2 weeks, I am sure. We went to a vet for the shots, I was with him till the end. Pretty quick and after the first shot he seemed relaxed, sleepy, and out of it.

One practical tip - pay in advance or on the way in. I didn't want to stand there at the counter blubbering while they ran my card after the fact. I just wanted to get out of there with him and bury him.

Best of luck to you.

Still one of the hardest things I ever had to do. The visit itself is painless for them as they stick a needle in their vein and they're gone. I cried like a little baby afterwards and they offered to let me take her out the back door. I opted to take her out the way she came in and drove her the 4 hours to my Mom's home to bury her.

thoughts and prayers

Man you guys buried them? Cremation seems the way to go to me. Can still spread their ashes wherever - the best dog I ever had has his ashes spread over his favorite beach in Alaska :cry:

fock me don't make me think about this :(

WOW. Sound like a moron vet to me. I have NEVER heard anyone going through some shtt like that. All the pets I have to do this to, one shot and they were gone in under 15 seconds at the most. Sounds like your vet needs his ass beat to me.

This is the only dog I have ever had put down so I can not speak to if the Vet was bad or good. Just that the experience made me not to ever want to chance it again. Like I said. It sounds callous but I will kill my dog myself next time.

My aunt is a vet and I spent several summers working in her clinic. Every time I've seen it done (the last one was to my dog about a year ago) it's been seconds between the dog getting the shot and going to sleep. It was tough to be in the room but it's the right thing to do for the dog. Sorry you have to go through this. It'll hurt but it's for the best.

PS - I'd suggest not having the kid in the room.