Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Going to put my dog down

dude let me tell you. I put my dog down at the vet probably 4 or 5 years ago. I talked about it here. it was the worst experience of my life. if I ever have to do it again I'm going to take the dog our and blow it's head off. I'm not trying to be insensitive but it was ###### heartbreaking and if I'm going to go through that again I'll do it in my own way. hunting ducks or chasing squirrels or something. do what you want. I will never ever watch that again. ever.

For the love of god, please don't do that.

I had an uncle (other side of the family from my aunt who is the vet) who did it once. My uncle is the toughest guy I know. I don't want to go into details but he ended up having to shoot it 6 times and getting shot in the head is not quick and painless like in the movies. I was at the house visiting my cousins when he did it (they lived in the mountains and he took the dog about a mile from the house to do it). When he got back he was silent for an hour or so and then said, "I'll never do that again", and went to bed (about 3 hours earlier than he normally would). They've euthanize every dog since and my aunt does rescue/foster work for dogs and at any point has 15 dogs in her house. They have a lot of experience having to put down dogs that have been abused/neglected and are too far gone.

Make the last day as enjoyable as you can for the dog. Take him for a walk, give him a steak, whatever he enjoys the most. And even though it's brutal, be with him til the very end when he falls asleep. He's done nothing but love you, you at least owe him that :thumbsup:

Paying in advance is a great idea. Last thing I'm gonna want to do is stand at the desk when it's over.

this has all been very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

For the love of god, please don't do that.

I had an uncle (other side of the family from my aunt who is the vet) who did it once. My uncle is the toughest guy I know. I don't want to go into details but he ended up having to shoot it 6 times and getting shot in the head is not quick and painless like in the movies. I was at the house visiting my cousins when he did it (they lived in the mountains and he took the dog about a mile from the house to do it). When he got back he was silent for an hour or so and then said, "I'll never do that again", and went to bed (about 3 hours earlier than he normally would). They've euthanize every dog since and my aunt does rescue/foster work for dogs and at any point has 15 dogs in her house. They have a lot of experience having to put down dogs that have been abused/neglected and are too far gone.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Like I said I would never ever put a dog to sleep again. I will take care of it myself.

Give you guys an update. Everything is all set for tomorrow morning. My wife and daughter wont be coming with us. But I cant say I really blame them. It'll just be me and him, and I suppose thats the way it was meant to be anyways.

I picked up a steak to grill for his supper. After putting that away, I'm sure he's gonna realise somethings up. After talking to the vet though, I've come away convinced that tomorrows gonna be much harder for me than for him.

Give you guys an update. Everything is all set for tomorrow morning. My wife and daughter wont be coming with us. But I cant say I really blame them. It'll just be me and him, and I suppose thats the way it was meant to be anyways.

I picked up a steak to grill for his supper. After putting that away, I'm sure he's gonna realise somethings up. After talking to the vet though, I've come away convinced that tomorrows gonna be much harder for me than for him.

Major Ts & Ps. I'm sure you'll make his last day great for him. He will be in a better place and always with you in your heart and memories. Best wishes. X

• Like 1

It will be hard for you, but you will know (eventually) that it is the right thing to do. He will be in a better place and not in pain.

I just had to put my dog down on Christmas Eve, of all days! It was certainly much harder a process for me than for her. The people at the vet did an outstanding job - completely compassionate, professional, and effective. My pup got the first shot and drifted off to sleep within 10 seconds. Never felt any pain. I hope your experience is as smooth from an operational aspect. Very tough day no matter how smoothly it goes. I am still tearing up a bit while I type this. (But I freely admit to being a wimp...)

Consider this. Most of the times I have had to do this to a pet, I have ZERO notice. Take them to the vet because something is wrong and BAM, have to put them down. Not that this will make things better, but at least you have the opportunity to let your pet have a good last day/meal.

This is a man's job and it is a good idea to leave he wife and kids at home. Just let them say goodbye and you do the rest. It sucks ass, but it is something us men have to do.

I feel a debt to this thread and thought I should check in.

I had my dog put down 3 hours ago.

I went in this morning in an attempt to take care of the money in advance, before I brought the dog. That was not possible. The vet's input was required, although they did give me an estimate. My idea was to go cheap; about $140 for the shot (euthanasia) and a communal cremation. When I brought the news home to Mrs. Bear, she wanted the single cremation option with an urn. The total was exactly $267.47 OTD. I brought every thing home. The leash. the collar, the muzzle, the dog bed I carried him in on, and his sweater. The urn will get buried in my parents back yard. Although I personally don't need the "trimmings", I understand that the wife and kids have there own wishes. My oldest daughter wanted to be here for the event, so the urn and a place for it will include her in the process.

My youngest daughter went with me and petted Guinness while he lay there. I thought I wanted to do this alone, but she was extremely helpful. An assistant came into the room and told us what the procedure would be. There would be three needles. A flush for the line, a sedative for pain, and a shot to stop the heart. They took Guinness out of the room to weight him to get the dose right and put in a I.V. portal.

The vet came in and talked to me for a while. I was lucky to have been in a frame of mind where I could talk without blubbering all over the place. I did well. Pin a rose on me.

The vet gave the flush shot, followed immediately with the pain shot. She paused for about a minute and gave Guinness the final shot. When she checked his heart in about 30 seconds, he was gone. Not a move or whimper.

It was the thing to do and I do not feel real bad right now. I postponed the inevitable a tad. I feel some relief for Guinness and myself that it is over.

• Like 2

I went in this morning in an attempt to take care of the money in advance, before I brought the dog. That was not possible. The vet's input was required, although they did give me an estimate. My idea was to go cheap; about $140 for the shot (euthanasia) and a communal cremation. When I brought the news home to Mrs. Bear, she wanted the single cremation option with an urn. The total was exactly $267.47 OTD. I brought every thing home. The leash. the collar, the muzzle, the dog bed I carried him in on, and his sweater. The urn will get buried in my parents back yard. Although I personally don't need the "trimmings", I understand that the wife and kids have there own wishes. My oldest daughter wanted to be here for the event, so the urn and a place for it will include her in the process.

My youngest daughter went with me and petted Guinness while he lay there. I thought I wanted to do this alone, but she was extremely helpful. An assistant came into the room and told us what the procedure would be. There would be three needles. A flush for the line, a sedative for pain, and a shot to stop the heart. They took Guinness out of the room to weight him to get the dose right and put in a I.V. portal.

The vet came in and talked to me for a while. I was lucky to have been in a frame of mind where I could talk without blubbering all over the place. I did well. Pin a rose on me.

The vet gave the flush shot, followed immediately with the pain shot. She paused for about a minute and gave Guinness the final shot. When she checked his heart in about 30 seconds, he was gone. Not a move or whimper.

It was the thing to do and I do not feel real bad right now. I postponed the inevitable a tad. I feel some relief for Guinness and myself that it is over.

Awe, sorry to hear. Glad you feel relief, and Guiness is at peace now. ((hugs))

• Like 2

Sorry for your loss. Glad that we could help.

• Like 1

You did right by your friend. Sorry to hear this, but you did he right thing

• Like 1

You did the right thing for him my friend. And your family. It gets better with time. You slowly forget about today and begin to remember all the great days. T&P's.

• Like 1

Consider this. Most of the times I have had to do this to a pet, I have ZERO notice. Take them to the vet because something is wrong and BAM, have to put them down. Not that this will make things better, but at least you have the opportunity to let your pet have a good last day/meal.

This is a man's job and it is a good idea to leave he wife and kids at home. Just let them say goodbye and you do the rest. It sucks ass, but it is something us men have to do.

Maybe try a different vet, GC. Seems like euthanization is his go-to remedy. :shocking:

I mean yeah, sometimes it's warranted, but for the scoots? :dunno:

Paying in advance is a great idea. Last thing I'm gonna want to do is stand at the desk when it's over.

this has all been very helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Most places will send you a bill unless they have no heart.

and sorry for your loss BiPolar.

I will add that my overwhelming thought after I had my dog put down was how lucky I was to have her in my life for so long. Damn, my throat is all lumpy.

After more than 15 years not having a dog, we finally got one over the holidays for the family.

Meet Mabel

• Like 1

Most places will send you a bill unless they have no heart.

and sorry for your loss BiPolar.

I will add that my overwhelming thought after I had my dog put down was how lucky I was to have her in my life for so long. Damn, my throat is all lumpy.

After more than 15 years not having a dog, we finally got one over the holidays for the family.

Meet Mabel

Cute!

• Like 1

I am so sorry that you're going through this.

When my dog was put down in '09, the vet made a clay indentation of her paw print... When we picked up her ashes, they gave that to us... I had no idea that they did this, but they do it for all of the pets that they put down, free of charge...

I had to euthanize my cat this last weekend, and this thread was really helpful. I agree that you should stay with them until the end. The process itself is pretty quick and doesn't seem to cause any distress to your pet, but is emotionally super hard. I went to work immediately afterwards, and my partners let me go home early in tears. I had that cat for nearly 17 years, and he provided a lot of love and joy in exchange for so little. It's a shame they are with us for such a short time.

• Like 1

I had to euthanize my cat this last weekend, and this thread was really helpful. I agree that you should stay with them until the end. The process itself is pretty quick and doesn't seem to cause any distress to your pet, but is emotionally super hard. I went to work immediately afterwards, and my partners let me go home early in tears. I had that cat for nearly 17 years, and he provided a lot of love and joy in exchange for so little. It's a shame they are with us for such a short time.

Im sorry you had to do that. Never is easy putting down a pet youve had for years. I haven't had to euthanize my cat yet. The first one we had was at least 14 years old. He had been hit by a car twice, had his tail closed in a door, beaten by a pack of dogs, and survived falling out of a tree. Sum b1tch had nine lives for real. I guess he knew his time was coming cause he slowed down ALOT the days leading up to it. So when it was time I think he just wandered off in the woods for a nice place to die. Broke my heart since I was young (we got him from someone else and he was already a couple years old at least). Always had outdoor cats. The one we have now was a daughter of the cat we got after the one died. This one chased her mom away from the house and the mom stayed at our neighbors. This one is going on 14 and my parents took her with them when they moved. She's still an outdoor cat and a really good one at that. Kills all the snakes, mice, moles, lizards, birds, and rabbits that come by. Sweetest cat you could ask for. Will be sad when she passes away.

Always feel for folks going through this - im sorry.

I'm real close to having to do this with my 12 year old lab. He has had 3 legs since he was 4, and mobility is getting very challenging. Spencer is 100% there mentally. Physically, thats a different story.

Sorry for your loss, and glad a thread like this can help you feel better, even for a moment. I've actually read this damn thread several times since I started it, and it always helps.

It's been 7 months now since I put Dakota down, and I still think about him every day. Especially about the night before when I grilled him that steak for supper. The look on his face when he was done, man he thought he was king.

My 40th birthday is next year. I already told the wife no party. I'm heading up to the lake (where my grandfather is). I'm bringing a lawn chair and a 6 pack, and I'm gonna spread his ashes. That's how I want to spend my day. And I can't think of a better way to say a final thanks to my best friend, then by giving him my day.

• Like 1

i'm sorry you are going through this pen. my thoughts bud.

Im sorry you had to do that. Never is easy putting down a pet youve had for years. I haven't had to euthanize my cat yet. The first one we had was at least 14 years old. He had been hit by a car twice, had his tail closed in a door, beaten by a pack of dogs, and survived falling out of a tree. Sum b1tch had nine lives for real. I guess he knew his time was coming cause he slowed down ALOT the days leading up to it. So when it was time I think he just wandered off in the woods for a nice place to die. Broke my heart since I was young (we got him from someone else and he was already a couple years old at least). Always had outdoor cats. The one we have now was a daughter of the cat we got after the one died. This one chased her mom away from the house and the mom stayed at our neighbors. This one is going on 14 and my parents took her with them when they moved. She's still an outdoor cat and a really good one at that. Kills all the snakes, mice, moles, lizards, birds, and rabbits that come by. Sweetest cat you could ask for. Will be sad when she passes away.

Although they live shorter lives, I think outdoor cats are the way to go. They get to still do cat things outside, but have the food, shelter and companionship when they need it.

My cat was an indoor cat, but we let him out from time to time. He loved to bask in the sun and eat grass. We took him out in the days before he died, so hopefully he got a chance to connect with his wild side.

Always feel for folks going through this - im sorry.

I'm real close to having to do this with my 12 year old lab. He has had 3 legs since he was 4, and mobility is getting very challenging. Spencer is 100% there mentally. Physically, thats a different story.

It's tough to know when the time is right. You want to cherish them as long as possible, as long as they aren't suffering. When we took my cat to the vet, I knew he was on his last legs, but had thought we'd bring him home and euthanize him there. Turns out he was in liver failure, and started to bleed from his mouth and nose during the appointment. And he hated car rides. So he made the decision easier.

Good luck with your lab. I'm sure you'll make the best choice given the circumstances.

Sorry for your loss, and glad a thread like this can help you feel better, even for a moment. I've actually read this damn thread several times since I started it, and it always helps.

It's been 7 months now since I put Dakota down, and I still think about him every day. Especially about the night before when I grilled him that steak for supper. The look on his face when he was done, man he thought he was king.

My 40th birthday is next year. I already told the wife no party. I'm heading up to the lake (where my grandfather is). I'm bringing a lawn chair and a 6 pack, and I'm gonna spread his ashes. That's how I want to spend my day. And I can't think of a better way to say a final thanks to my best friend, then by giving him my day.

Jerry also got plenty of treats in his final days. We bought him just about every type of stinky fish he could desire. Then he stopped eating, which is always an ominous sign. His liver failure was probably a direct consequence of it.

I haven't figured out what to do with his ashes yet, but I like your birthday plans. Thanks for sharing your experience.