Bier Meister

Fondue night

while it can be used, it is neither common nor traditional. swiss and french fondue typically includes gruyere, emmental, appenzeller, vacherin, and comte. my recipe breaks away from tradition by using sparkling wine and brie, and omitting kirsch and garlic. i have also used gouda on occation

Its good. I forget if i used dry white wine or beer. Think it was a dry riesling because i realized it was pretty good and i finished the bottle of Chanteau St. Michelle... $8 bottle of wine was excellent. Pretty sure it was a knockoff recipe for the melting pot restaurant.

• Like 1

:banana: driving up to Tahoe for the week. Hope we dont get caught in sux's parade traffic on the way.

Daughter asks "daddy, can we make fondue?"

as it is starting to feel like fall, family wants to do fondue this weekend. bump for those interested.

those who tried it, what did you think?

I do a Swiss fondue, cubed crusty bread, green apples and veggies... delish!

• Like 1

I do a Swiss fondue, cubed crusty bread, green apples and veggies... delish!

Yep. Bread cubes, bockwurst, pear

Djb- kind of like a snack, but cheese can get pretty filling.

BTW when do you use shallots instead of onion? I've never really understood except it seems shallots are milder?? :unsure:

As a rule of thumb for me: shallots for sauces/reductions/marinades and things like Chimichurri - onions with proteins.

i'm still ghey.

good for you little fella

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

^^^

Do you have any special equipment for it like a fondue set? Or you just use your own pots and stuff? 

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Do you have any special equipment for it like a fondue set? Or you just use your own pots and stuff? 

I have a set which I had bought in Switzerland, but you can use a pot.  I had to replace my old forks...got some affordable ones on amazon

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I have a set which I had bought in Switzerland, but you can use a pot.  I had to replace my old forks...got some affordable ones on amazon

Yea I was thinking of buying one off Amazon. Wife has never had it before so I thought Of taking her to the Melting Pot (fondue place) down in myrtle beach one day to let her try it. Sure she will love it. Her brothers wife would love it cause that girl literally only eats potatoes, bread, and cheese. That’s what her diet consists of cause she doesn’t eat anything else. No other reason than that’s all she likes to eat lol 

22 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

this is very similar to the pot i have:

Fondue Pot

Forks:

Forks

That’s not too bad for the price. What stuff do you normally dip in it? 

13 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

That’s not too bad for the price. What stuff do you normally dip in it? 

for cheese fondue: I use different types of sausage (brats, weiss wurst, knocks, chicken apple, etc), bread, pears, apples, broccoli flourettes, crispy potatoes

for broth or oil: you use it to cook your proteins and vegetables.  can season the broth or oil, and often serves with sauces

Chocolate fondue: pound cake, marshmallows, graham crackers, bananas, brownies, strawberries....get creative

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

for cheese fondue: I use different types of sausage (brats, weiss wurst, knocks, chicken apple, etc), bread, pears, apples, broccoli flourettes, crispy potatoes

for broth or oil: you use it to cook your proteins and vegetables.  can season the broth or oil, and often serves with sauces

Chocolate fondue: pound cake, marshmallows, graham crackers, bananas, brownies, strawberries....get creative

Yea the cheese was the one I was curious about cause I’ve seen so many different things dipped into it. What kind of cheeses y’all use? 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea the cheese was the one I was curious about cause I’ve seen so many different things dipped into it. What kind of cheeses y’all use? 

Frumunda 

13 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea the cheese was the one I was curious about cause I’ve seen so many different things dipped into it. What kind of cheeses y’all use

bromigo.... please look at the original post

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

bromigo.... please look at the original post

Lol got it. Didn’t even realize you had already said it :lol: 

On 12/20/2015 at 7:39 AM, JTB said:

Planning to make this for our regift party. Any other suggestions to accompany the fondue? Well be using it as an appetizer.

Cheers

The chic and really easy dessert that pairs well with that is poached pears. You can find the recipe anywhere. Kind of cool to garnish with Maytag blue cheese and Candied pecans if that's your thing. But whatever.

Stunning presentation. And really tasty. And EZ.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:32 PM, Bier Meister said:

as it is starting to feel like fall, family wants to do fondue this weekend. bump for those interest.

those who tried it, what did you think?

Not enough cilantro. Youre slipping. 

14 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Not enough cilantro. Youre slipping. 

You are not going to see me using cilantro in my dishes that have an origin from europe. If so, very very rare

16 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

I was a dikc in this here thread. 

not really. everything is relative.

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

not really. everything is relative.

Gotta say I don’t remember this thread and when I reread it that OP made me want to run to store for ingredients- that’ll be made on NYE 2020 !!!

• Like 1

As a teenager I worked the kitchen in a wine and cheese place. Made thousands of fondues. Never once did we serve brats as a dipping agent. 

Sux is still a Homo living with his “life partner” 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

As a teenager I worked the kitchen in a wine and cheese place. Made thousands of fondues. Never once did we serve brats as a dipping agent. 

Sux is still a Homo living with his “life partner” 

Our favorite is with Weiss wurst 

Fondue is like bourbon street. Yeah fine, do it one time. It's an experience. You can say something about it. But that's it.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Fondue is like bourbon street. Yeah fine, do it one time. It's an experience. You can say something about it. But that's it.

I can’t do it every day, but back in breck I’d make it twice a month in the winter 

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Sorry to hear, best of luck in dealing with this.

We will all be there someday.

Fondue night? :unsure:

So, we're going around of self prepared foods? Jump forward  about 50 years and have Korean barbecue.

Ffs, have a damn crab boil. Crawfish. Whatever. 

Even as a kid in the 70s I remember just a vat of nasty cheese and stale bread and my parents thinking they were the hippest people on the f****** planet. 

After about two bites, I remember thinking, could I have a f****** salad or something?

• Sad 1