Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Get to know the Sanctuary guys

I think that we have a new generation of Geek Club members who have no understanding of the past history of the Board. Our Bored historian is not around (presumably in the fetal position or diabetic coma) and latinpimp took care of deleting much of the history, so much of this important information could be lost forever. To help resurrect that past, I think that it would be helpful for the returning Silverbacks to provide some insight on the past.

For example, it would be great if each member could document:

- Name and SSN

- What you are known for at the Geek Club

- Favorite moment in Geek Club history

- Reason you left

- Favorite story about another Geek Club member

- Most important piece of wisdom to impart to the new Geek Club members

-Gutter Boy, 111-22-3333

-I am known for being short, ugly, homosexual looking, riding a cat. There was actually alot of other fodder that I put out there over the years, but the last thing that the idiots here grabbed onto and beat to death was the fact that I am short.

- I don't have one but I had lots of fun busting balls and making jokes here over the years. When it was simple jokes and ball breaking, it was good times. When things got weird, I was happy to leave.

- I left for several reasons. Probably first and foremost is that the software on the board back in the day was terrible. It was always going down, it took minutes to make a post, if the post even went through, it was painful to try and contribute due to software glitches. The other thing that made me want to leave was the people. The political postings were terrible. Trolls were terrible. Things change, that's part of life, and there was an influx of people that were just weird, took things too seriously, made things personal, were not funny, it was just weird. When people started mixing their personal lives with the board lives, that was weird. When jokes became lame and repeated over and over, boring. And that's not sour grapes. I don't mind being the butt of a joke, at all, others can attest to that. I put lots of fodder out there, but when every post was replied with a "go back to the lollipop guild" line, it just got lame.

- Too many to list

- Just relax. It's a message board. We're here to have fun. Now I realize the board has changed over the years. When it started there was no social media. Things were different. Now it seems as though the board is mixed in with others personal lives, which is fine if that's your thing, but this board should be nothing more than another outlet to learn something and have fun. Back in the day there was a sense of helping other people out. Today it's just trolls. That's not right, but only the people here can change it, and some good moderators.

First, I am not a Silverback. I came along in 2001 while scouring for fantasy football knowledge and preparing for my draft. The Silverbacks were before my time, and I think they're either gone or mostly post here. SJ (Snazzy Jeff at the Sanc) and paulinstl might be the only ones at the Sanctuary anymore.

- Name and SSN

Thread Killer. 000-00-0002

I guess you would have to tell me that. Thread Killer is actually an alias I kept. My first handle was just a bunch of consonants smashed together because I couldn't come up with anything spicy. And whenever I tried to post, the thread seemed to die because no one would interact with me. It then dawned on me that could be my thing, so I created Thread Killer and would look for opportunities to post out of context, awkward statements in threads. Like in a thread about breakfast cereal I would post about how black people are lazy or some stupid sh!t. I got some laughs and I never looked back.

There were a lot, and I've forgotten about 98% of them. I would say the day I invented Acronymphomania was pretty fun. I think about 10 pages of content was generated that day. Acronymphomania was a game where I would randomly smash my keyboard and the geeks would make phrases out of the letters, then I would pick out the best one and award the winner. I remember one day I hit the "F" key like 5 times in my random smashings and Fricker asked me to please stop doing that. Dude was getting lambasted.

- Reason you left

I noticed some of the geeks that I really admired like CMT, Swerski, torrid, etc, kept talking about the Sanctuary. I figured out that it was Orgazmo's board and after awhile I just asked him if I could join. And poof, I was in. I liked the atmosphere there, it was more intimate and the hilarity-to-post ratio was off the charts. I slowly migrated from here to there, and eventually that was the only place I ever posted.

Like I said, I've forgotten most of the old days. I do remember one thread in which Rusty was in a panic because he had to take a leak and broke his zipper. He was giving panicked updates about how everything he tried was failing. Somewhere in there he said something about how he couldn't "crank his jeans down past his sinewy hips" and I lost it. I'm sure it was all an act, but the mental imagery he was throwing out was really hilarious.

Be funny. Being serious works too sometimes, but mostly be funny. Don't try to force hilarity, either. That comes out sounding pathetic. And don't focking troll. You're not a grade schooler. And if you ever get to the point where you think posting a dancing banana is the only thing you can do to contribute to the hilarity, delete your account and do something better with your life. Mike, do me a favor and delete the accounts of every geek who will now post a dancing banana, thinking "Yeah but THIS time it's funny." It's not. It's never funny. Just because some mouthbreathers here might think it's funny, it's not. Aspire to be better than that.

I remember one day I hit the "F" key like 5 times in my random smashings and Fricker asked me to please stop doing that. Dude was getting lambasted.

Man, I remember that! He used to get so pissed. :lol:

In fairness, I used to open up your ACRONYMPHOMANIA threads hoping that W wasn't one of the letters. People were absolutely brutal (and funny) back in those days.

- Name and SSN

Wilzone, 457-55-5462

My manboobs. In fact, my name actually became a term for manboobs.

Urban Dictionary: wilzone

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wilzone
Urban Dictionary
wilzone. An abnormally large breast on a man that may require the assistance of a brassiere. Check out the Wilzones on that guy. by pingpong April 10, 2003.

I was the first person to be featured in the Guess the Geek contest, where a pic of an anonymous Geek was posted and then everyone brutally destroyed everything about that person's pic until finally, after an excruciatingly long period of time, the identity was revealed. In that picture, my nips were noticeably protruding through my shirt (I can't do anything about how ###### meaty they are, you fockers! I was born that way.) and "Wilzone has manboobs" was born.

I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning. All I remember is lots of consistent, daily laughs. I do think the Guess the Geek series was hilarious and fun.

- Reason you left

The vibe here was starting to change. The number of quality threads was decreasing and the number of trolls and idiots was increasing. I do also recall long periods when this bored was down and the Sanctuary became a place to hang while this place was unavailable. After a while, I found I just liked that one more.

Horrible memory. Sorry. Must be all the DUIs.

Don't take any of what's said here personally. Be yourself and be honest. Know your limitations -- add value where you can and stay out of areas where you'd only detract from the fun/discussion/etc.

Is there a new generation? I feel like i am the only one who started posting here after 2010. And even i really dont contribute all that much. Well its interesting to see some posters from the past at least.

Having a complete lack of sense for hilarity. I was also one of the original founders of the Interboard League (IBL) on the mainboard, and ran that for several years, which is where I first met Megla, Voltaire, fumbleweed and many of the silverbacks (in addition to the June Mock Draft).

The Jihad of the Curly Board. That was some of the funniest sh!t I've participated in.

- Reason you left

I originally came over to the Geek Club with Rusty Syringes from the mainboard during a Mainboard vs Geek Club contest. I immediately got into a flame war with Swerski and torrid, and when they (along with CMT) moved over to the Sanctuary I followed them and Rusty.

The Ju-Day saga was probably one of our darkest and most fun moments in board history. This spawned the great alias debacle that drove a lot of members away. I've also met Bert, wiffleball, Rusty and Farmer Bernie in person at Farmer Bernie's wedding.

Don't be too serious. If you take part in an intellectual conversation, don't let disagreements get under your skin. It's my view that this board is entertainment, and the second you decide to make it more than that, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Following on TK’s theme, I am technically not a Silverback because I spent the first few years at FFtoday on the Mange Board. I’m guessing that was sometime around 1996 or 1997, but I can’t be sure, but it was around the time that I started using online resources for research across many fields, including sports. By the time I discovered the Geek board several years later, it was already an active board of very funny posters. I have run a continuously operating fantasy football league (With IDPs) since the fall of 1986. We did all of our scoring via USA Today and I came to FFToday as part of my annual research ritual in the mid 90s. I eventually was contacted by Mike, and wrote several football articles for the site before becoming too busy with real-world and becoming a poster rather than an author.

- Name and SSN

Fricker66 007-00-0066

I can’t recall having any particular source of fame at the Geek Club. As you can tell from my avatar, I annoyed a lot of people with my constant posts about Notre Dame sports, as I am a proud alumnus. Swerski and I shared that distinction and never failed to let folks here know about it, to the point where many hated ND just because of us. I am originally from Philadelphia, and practiced law, both of which were well-known here. I also tend to post stories that have happened to me which are called to my mind when someone is posting about their own experience -- even when nobody wants to know or care about it, I post it. It is called “Frickering” a thread.

The first would have been the original “Guess the Geek” contest. I think it was lost in one of the board meltdowns, but it was a classic thread.

A second would be the first Geek-meet in which I was involved. A group of about 8 of us met in Hoboken circa 2000. We got absolutely blasted at a bar at 12th and Washington, the name of which I do not remember. Those I recall being there were Electric Mayhem, b2bjax, Team Revell and Italian Bird. It turned out that Italian Bird was a really hot woman, and I’m pretty sure she made out with 2 geeks (neither of them being me as I am married). Since that time, I have probably met 10 other geeks in various locations.

- Reason you left

As mentioned in the other thread, my IT department blocked the site because it had the word “Fantasy” in it. I went over to the Sanctuary on the invitation of Swerski and CMT, to assist with the Geek v. Main board challenge. I stuck around here posting by proxy server, but it became too difficult, so I just went to the Sanctuary full time.

It’s been about a decade ago, so there is not a particular story that stands out. I guess the aforementioned geek meet was pretty great. I also remember granpahoo and Swerski playing some great pranks on people. Other than that, it was just general stupidity that gave me a nice break from real life.

Don’t take yourself too seriously, and don’t react to internet insults.

Having a complete lack of sense for hilarity. I was also one of the original founders of the Interboard League (IBL) on the mainboard, and ran that for several years, which is where I first met Megla, Voltaire, fumbleweed and many of the silverbacks (in addition to the June Mock Draft).

The Jihad of the Curly Board. That was some of the funniest sh!t I've participated in.

- Reason you left

I originally came over to the Geek Club with Rusty Syringes from the mainboard during a Mainboard vs Geek Club contest. I immediately got into a flame war with Swerski and torrid, and when they (along with CMT) moved over to the Sanctuary I followed them and Rusty.

The Ju-Day saga was probably one of our darkest and most fun moments in board history. This spawned the great alias debacle that drove a lot of members away. I've also met Bert, wiffleball, Rusty and Farmer Bernie in person at Farmer Bernie's wedding.

Don't be too serious. If you take part in an intellectual conversation, don't let disagreements get under your skin. It's my view that this board is entertainment, and the second you decide to make it more than that, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Poor Ju-Day. Killed by a falling AC unit. That's all I have to say about that.

I think that we have a new generation of Geek Club members who have no understanding of the past history of the Board. Our Bored historian is not around (presumably in the fetal position or diabetic coma) and latinpimp took care of deleting much of the history, so much of this important information could be lost forever. To help resurrect that past, I think that it would be helpful for the returning Silverbacks to provide some insight on the past.

For example, it would be great if each member could document:

- Name and SSN

- Reason you left

Mr. Mephistopheles, 000-00-0001.

How to properly cook a steak/Alleged to have made fun of the death of Kadaver's nephew.

Neckbeard.

I didn't leave.

Though I could probably bring up dozens, the first that comes to mind was the ongoing story of Jaxfan and the Best Buy Parking Lot Whorre.

Go fock yourself.

Wow, I'm almost impressed.

Almost :banana:

Mr. Mephistopheles, 000-00-0001.

How to properly cook a steak/Alleged to have made fun of the death of Kadaver's nephew.

Neckbeard.

I didn't leave.

Though I could probably bring up dozens, the first that comes to mind was the ongoing story of Jaxfan and the Best Buy Parking Lot Whorre.

Go fock yourself.

Weren't you like the first person banned evah?

Weren't you like the first person banned evah?

Not sure. I do not recall. I have no recollection of that. Must be all of the DUIs.

Oops. I'm not a Sanctuary member.

Nevermind fockers.

Some may remember other regular, recurring themes such as This Old Thread! and The Profiler.

Black Lives Safety? :dunno:

Reading all these sanctuary stories is making me feel like Kirk Cameron in Left Behind...except I got left with Recliner Pilot and Drobeski. :cry:

Name and SSN

Jackal

Sippah Cup

Couple come to mind: the great steak debate, Guess which NFL player I am, Curly Board Jihad....but mine would have to be the 911 thread. While the events of that tragic day were unfolding, it was great to see every one here put aside all their petty differences and show genuine concern for other posters living in the NYC/DC area.

- Reason you left

my work blocked all websites having to do with Fantasy Football. I snuck into the sanctuary because of some Fantasy Football League draft being over there and have been hanging around since then.

-Favorite story about another Geek Club member

• Ju-day having a window AC unit falling on her head was tragically funny.
  • Cyric appearing on everything from a slice of toast, to a burrito, a prosciutto, etc.
  • Swerski thumbs up.

While all those above were classic, I would have to say my favorite was Mookie and his stories. Like his uncle (?) trying to drink a gallon of milk within a minute.

• It's a message board filled with thousands of people with thousands of different opinions. Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make them wrong.
  • There is a lot of wisdom and knowledge here, but by the same token there is a lot of BS to wade through to find it!
  • If you offend easily, then this is probably not the place for you.

Peace

Some may remember other regular, recurring themes such as This Old Thread! and The Profiler.

Are they funnier than Must be all the DUI's?

Here's to hoping. :cheers:

Are they funnier than Must be all the DUI's?

Here's to hoping. :cheers:

The sanctuary folks like to beat a joke deep into the ground and then beat on it some more. Then, beat it some more. Then beat it some more.

• Like 1

Good point. Maybe I should have said hundreds of people with thousands of aliases.

Getting there. How about "a handful of people with dozens of aliases"? :dunno:

The sanctuary folks like to beat a joke deep into the ground and then beat on it some more. Then, beat it some more. Then beat it some more.

A joke must be pounded until such that it's consistency is that of a fine powder. Then it must be sprinkled upon a medium rare steak and consumed. Whenst shat out, the fecal matter must then be tossed into a wood chipper and spread upon the fields wherein fruit bearing trees are grown.