Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

UPDATE: RGIII finally a free agent - Signs with CLE

I guess we can ramp up the speculation on where he is going.....

Well, if I was RGIII (and I'm not) I'd be looking at signing in a place where I could be successful.

Houston has to be a strong candidate as they may have one of the best Starting WR's in the league. (Hopkins)

Cleveland too. Cleveland has a Very good O line and if Gordon returns to form, this could be a natural fit.

The word is he could be on the radar in San Fran too.

I expect him to go to San Fran...

Then i expect him and Chip Kelly to look amazing... until october.

you heard it here first.

jdon

I don't expect him to regain anything close to what he did in his first season no matter what team he lands on . I just don't think he really cares all that much .

Serious question. Does anybody here think he is a good QB? I have a couple buddy's who are Redskin fans and they keep telling me he should be starting for them and not Cousins. That he is a great QB and that he would lead their team better giving them a better chance. I keep saying "he hasn't so far and he keeps disappointing. If he could the coaches would have put him in by now"

You would think if he is the better option at Qb for the Redskins he would have been playing right ?

I'm not sure that is a fair indicator. The coach in Washington actually prefers pocket passers (Which RGIII is not)

I suspect this has a lot to do with the decision.

That being said, RGIII will have options. He may be able to go to Houston or San Fran and start immediately. But if he decides hes ok with being a backup for a year or two, the smart move would be to go To Andy Reid in KC.

McNabb was the same type of prospect coming out of college. Reid got Vick Back on track (same type of player) and I suspect Reid could work magic with him.

The only problem there is that Alex Smith is still quite young and it could be a long stretch on the bench for him there.

I dont think he is without talent. But he does need a coach that will put in a system that is friendly to his skill set.

He should pass on any coach who likes a pocket passer.

I dont think he is without talent. But he does need a coach that will put in a system that is friendly to his skill set.

How many teams/coaches are running a system friendly to his skill set though? Chip is the only one I can think of that needs a QB.

Well, if I was RGIII (and I'm not) I'd be looking at signing in a place where I could be successful.

Houston has to be a strong candidate as they may have one of the best Starting WR's in the league. (Hopkins)

Cleveland too. Cleveland has a Very good O line and if Gordon returns to form, this could be a natural fit.

I do not put it past him getting a look here. I'd be very surprised if Stephen and Will don't at least bring him in for a workout.

I actually think he has the arm to be a fine pocket passer. The question which someone else arose is whether the kid has the fortitude after the pummeling he's taken. The Rat should have been horse whipped for his usage of RGIII.

I will not be surprised if nobody picks him up. The film on him the last 16 games is pretty awful and he's bringing an enormous wild cartoonish ego with him and a dad who fans that flame.

I actually think he has the arm to be a fine pocket passer. The question which someone else arose is whether the kid has the fortitude after the pummeling he's taken. The Rat should have been horse whipped for his usage of RGIII.

The arm? Yes.

The will to stay in the pocket? The presence to go through his reads? Those are another matter.

He does.

But he needs a coach that can teach him.

and

depending on how quick a study he is, he may be better advised to sit for a year prior to starting.

That being said, Andy Reid could resurrect his career. But he would be sitting a while due to the presence of Alex Smith.

Doug Pederson (in Philly) comes from the Andy Reid Coaching tree, and may be able to accomplish the same feat.

But, with Sam Bradford signed to a 2 year deal now, this may not be a realistic option unless RG3 is willing to sit for a year or two.

That being said, with Bradfords injury history, Philly may be something he should think about.

:doh: Go back and watch his last start. The San Fran game from 2014. Deers in headlights exhibit more composure. Any offense that doesn't utilize his legs will fail miserably. RG3 is Mike Vick lite.

I will not be surprised if nobody picks him up. The film on him the last 16 games is pretty awful and he's bringing an enormous wild cartoonish ego with him and a dad who fans that flame.

Agree with you good post about this topic , not to sure his big head could fit through the door way of the next team that picks him up , if any do . I don't see him being a valuable asset at the Qb postion going forward .

:doh: Go back and watch his last start. The San Fran game from 2014. Deers in headlights exhibit more composure. Any offense that doesn't utilize his legs will fail miserably. RG3 is Mike Vick lite.

Fortitude means wherewithal, composure, or just plain guts if you please. I'm not disagreeing with you, just feel the potential is there.

Why would anyone want RGIII running with the ball? He's as fragile as they come - he wouldn't last 2 games in that kind of scheme.

It's funny you mention his dad. I wonder if the NFL is starting to wane off players slightly that have these outside influences that are vocally contributing towards the diva-like image of a player.

Brent Grimes and his wife is a prime example. Yes his play on the field wasn't worth his contract per se, but you gotta wonder whether an organization is just sick of having to address a player's family member instead of on the field issues.

• Like 1

It's funny you mention his dad. I wonder if the NFL is starting to wane off players slightly that have these outside influences that are vocally contributing towards the diva-like image of a player.

Brent Grimes and his wife is a prime example. Yes his play on the field wasn't worth his contract per se, but you gotta wonder whether the an organization is just sick of having to address a player's family member instead of on the field issues.

yes. and I dont think it matters what sport it is either.

When Mommy and Daddy and Wifey (or whoever else) starts meddling, that becomes a problem.

Teams will put up with it if the player plays like a stud, but once the production slips, This sort of thing will hinder the career of the player.

Fortitude means wherewithal, composure, or just plain guts if you please. I'm not disagreeing with you, just feel the potential is there.

Potential is a loaded word. Whenever more was added to the passing game, he simply couldn't handle it. He has incredible physical gifts, but was nowhere close mentally. Any offense built for him, has to have a foundation using his athletic ability. If it comes down to reading defenses, forget it.

Exactly. The Rat is a genius for immediately recognizing Bob had no real pocket passing ability and devised an offense around his narrow skill set. Earned him Rookie of the Year. He Rat has his faults but that was a genius offense for that QB. Not other scheme will work for him. He's a hopeless clown as a pocket passer.

Why would anyone want RGIII running with the ball? He's as fragile as they come - he wouldn't last 2 games in that kind of scheme.

It's all he can do. If there is no threat of him running the defense confuses and ruin him if they don't have to worry about the run.

He can only play the pistol read option. That's it. He's hopeless as a true pocket passer. He doesn't know how to read defenses and go through progressions. If the first look isn't there the play is over for Bob. The smart scouts in the league all know this since it was clear as day when he was asked to be a true QB.

I don't want him a sa running Qb , he is just to fragile to handle it .

RG3 heading to buffalo id guess...

Not going to happen.... Bills have no cap room

If I was a young QB I would never ever go to Cleveland, I don't care how good their roster looks on paper, there is enough history there to know to just stay away, they just never get it done.

If I was a young QB I would never ever go to Cleveland, I don't care how good their roster looks on paper, there is enough history there to know to just stay away, they just never get it done.

Cleveland also lost their starting center in free agency.

Cleveland also lost their starting center in free agency.

Yep.

still a good line even without him. Just no longer elite.

How RG3 isnt getting more play, I just dont understand.

In a league with QBs like Keenum McCown Bradford and Sanchez as penciled in starters, this is an absolute joke and a black balling.

In a league with QBs like Keenum McCown Bradford and Sanchez as penciled in starters, this is an absolute joke and a black balling.

There have numerous people on record that have said that RGIII's attitude was not well-received in the locker room. Couple that with the incendiary remarks from his dad (the original Miko Grimes), and I'm sure a lot of teams just don't want to deal with the headache that will accompany signing him.

Not only off field, but the lack of pocket potential and the bum leg. I expect the 9ers to grab him cheap after the Kaep saga is over with.

Yep.

still a good line even without him. Just no longer elite.

They lost Mitchell Schwartz as well.

Geniuses.

There is no black balling in the NFL. It's a business. Rg3 stinks. He takes tons of sacks and can't be a pocket passer. That doesn't land you a job in this league.

Kent I don't agree that there isn't any black balling going on in the league. Philly did a hack job on DJax before cutting him. If that wasn't black balling then I don't know what is.

I tend to agree.

The dude is a clown and has stunk ever since sustaining a major injury, that's true.

But at one time he was very successful and that's more than you can say for a lot of starting QBs in the league.

There should be tons of teams willing to take a chance on him.

Kent I don't agree that there isn't any black balling going on in the league. Philly did a hack job on DJax before cutting him. If that wasn't black balling then I don't know what is.

I disagree. Even though he has a limited skill set he still found a team to give him another significant contract

It may have nothing to do with this.

If RG3 thinks hes gonna get a 20 mil contract per season, There wont be any takers. It could also be that he wont take a backup role. If teams want him, but dont want him to be a starter, that would be a show stopper as well.

Unfortunately, we do not know what his salary demands are or what he is seeking in negotiations.

I havn't actually heard anything terrible coming out of the dressing room regarding his attitude. Publicly he has handled himself with a lot of class. I did hear that his family got somewhat involved in his football life and gave the coaches some headaches. But that was rumor. I cannot confirm this to be true or false. But if true, it is certainly something that makes a person wonder if they are biting off more than they can chew if they sign this guy.

I like RG3 and I do hope someone gives him a chance.

i hope someone really doesnt believe this. there is a book somewhere with a bunch of names in it that no one talks about.