Sign in to follow this  
msdemille72

UPDATE: MIA signs C.J. Anderson to offer sheet - DEN Matches

Wow another move I was not counting on , I need more erasers.

You said something that made me chuckle. I didnt think this day would come.

Denver can still match it - and if they don't they get NO compensation

They have the opportunity to match it, but honestly I don't see any situation where they'll have the cap room to do that deal.

The question for them now is: Who is in command of the backfield? Hillman is a free agent. Thompson hasn't really done all that much. Rookie? Veteran like Morris?

Will you did mention Robinson could be a good fit in Denver maybe ?

That makes two of us.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000643333/article/dolphins-ink-broncos-rb-cj-anderson-to-offer-sheet

18 mil over 4 years. I cant see Denver matching that. That's 4.5 mil per year.

Anderson owner here.... What are the fantasy implications assuming Denver doesn't match? Is he truly going to be a bellcow or is it just another timeshare, except this time it's with Ajayi instead of Hillman?

Adam Gase was the OC for Denver in 2013-2014 when CJ took over

He "inherited" Ajayi - who still does have a bad knee

Gase WANTED CJ here and paid him

I say CJ is the lead dog and bellcow with Ajayi as this year's Tre Mason

• Like 1

I guess they DON'T trust Ajayi after all

I could still see Ajayi being the man there by midseason. Lets not forget CJ let Hillman take the job from him. But your right, it shows lack of complete faith and that the plan wasnt to feature him.

Well, the coach obviously thinks he can make it work with CJA.

He will sink or swim with that decision. for all we know, this may have been the plan all along.

Miami didn't do much with Miller. Abandoned the run early, could be a RBBC and another year of meh production offensively for the fins.Bad combination.

Will you did mention Robinson could be a good fit in Denver maybe ?

Robinson is already signed with the Jets

Miami didn't do much with Miller. Abandoned the run early, could be a RBBC and another year of meh production offensively for the fins.Bad combination.

Yeah, but that was with Philbin and Dan Campbell running the show. It's Gase's team now. His Bears were 6th in rushing attempts last year. In 2014, when Gase was the OC in Denver, Anderson touched the ball an average of 23 times a game after becoming the man in week 10.

Adam Gase is also the guy that ragged on C.J. Anderson just last year...

“In Denver — C.J. (Anderson) would hate me for saying this — but he got tired and was a little chubby sometimes,” Gase said. “I mean, he got worn down quick and then we had to rotate backs in last year.”

Robinson is already signed with the Jets

Will than that takes care of that .

Adam Gase is also the guy that ragged on C.J. Anderson just last year...

Awesome find , sounds like a rbbc .

Adam Gase was the OC for Denver in 2013-2014 when CJ took over

He "inherited" Ajayi - who still does have a bad knee

Gase WANTED CJ here and paid him

I say CJ is the lead dog and bellcow with Ajayi as this year's Tre Mason

This rhetoric is tired. I like CJ and if they get him he will be the hoss.

But the Ajayi knee talk is rhetoric. Bad knee? I get it his knee has longevity questions, but you say that is he cant walk and it matters now if his knee will be screwed 10 years from now.

Tired, I say... tired.

This rhetoric is tired. I like CJ and if they get him he will be the hoss.

But the Ajayi knee talk is rhetoric. Bad knee? I get it his knee has longevity questions, but you say that is he cant walk and it matters now if his knee will be screwed 10 years from now.

Tired, I say... tired.

Several league sources wrote about the concerns leading up to that draft and following the pick even

Some called it a "ticking time bomb"

I don't question his skills, but i'm never going to be left holding Ajayi when he dumps .... (see Jahvid Best warning signs)

They have the opportunity to match it, but honestly I don't see any situation where they'll have the cap room to do that deal.

They lose Manning AND Brock...I think they have some cap space.

I was wondering about this.

am I wrong in assuming that Mannings salary no longer counts towards the cap? or is it a case where retired or not, Manning's contract is still in effect for cap purposes?

They weren't t paying Brock much, and they have to pay Von Miller soon.

Manning's 19 mil is off the books. So is the 14 mil they offered Oswieler. Gone are Jackson and Trevathan. They've got the money to pay CJ. Don't know if they match, but Hillman is a FA too so they've got to pay someone. Elway screwed up tendering CJ so low. I'm wondering if they target Forsett in a trade.

Manning's 19 mil is off the books. So is the 14 mil they offered Oswieler. Gone are Jackson and Trevathan. They've got the money to pay CJ. Don't know if they match, but Hillman is a FA too so they've got to pay someone. Elway screwed up tendering CJ so low. I'm wondering if they target Forsett in a trade.

Elway screwed the pooch on this entire offseason. Lets be real, if not for Manning he wouldnt look like a special GM in anyway.

Elway screwed the pooch on this entire offseason. Lets be real, if not for Manning he wouldnt look like a special GM in anyway.

I don't know. Some would say he's done a pretty good job of putting a defense together.

• Like 1

Offer to Anderson was obviously low IMO because they did not want to retain him , at least that's why it looks to me .

Offer to Anderson was obviously low IMO because they did not want to retain him , at least that's why it looks to me .

Regardless of whether they wanted to retain him, there was no way that a qualifying offer of a 2nd round pick shouldn't have been issued on Anderson. The Dolphins will pay Anderson an average of $4.5 million per season. The next tier of qualifying offers from the Broncos would've paid Anderson approx. $2.5 million in 2016. That is a smaller cap hit than DeAngelo Williams (21st among NFL running backs).

Whether a team would've signed him knowingly giving up a 2nd round pick is certainly debatable, but now you lose yet another piece of your offensive identity just to save a million dollars? Seems like a dangerous game Elway is playing with the roster. Roster turnover is certainly necessary in the NFL, but the offseason for the Broncos resembles a McDonalds apple turnover.

I'll take the million .

Regardless of whether they wanted to retain him, there was no way that a qualifying offer of a 2nd round pick shouldn't have been issued on Anderson. The Dolphins will pay Anderson an average of $4.5 million per season. The next tier of qualifying offers from the Broncos would've paid Anderson approx. $2.5 million in 2016. That is a smaller cap hit than DeAngelo Williams (21st among NFL running backs).

Whether a team would've signed him knowingly giving up a 2nd round pick is certainly debatable, but now you lose yet another piece of your offensive identity just to save a million dollars? Seems like a dangerous game Elway is playing with the roster. Roster turnover is certainly necessary in the NFL, but the offseason for the Broncos resembles a McDonalds apple turnover.

CJ anderson was a part of their identity? The dude proved to be overrated. Hes a solid back but nothing special. I would have been beside myself if i put a 2nd round tender on him and then no one signed him.

CJ anderson was a part of their identity? The dude proved to be overrated. Hes a solid back but nothing special. I would have been beside myself if i put a 2nd round tender on him and then no one signed him.

To some extent I do agree.

I think the value of a CJ Anderson comes late in the year when the weather is poor and the pass game becomes less important. He's a ground and pound back. 3-4 yards per carry and a pile of dust.

I felt he was miscast in the Denver Offense. He caught lightning in the bottle late in the year 2 seasons ago because Manning was putting up huge numbers and nobody game planned for the run game in Denver.

The huge numbers let him to be grossly overvalued in fantasy circles the next year, (this last year). To start the year, teams did game plan for the run this time, and Manning just didnt look like the same player.

As a result, CJ didnt look nearly as good. but true to form, late in the year his value went up again as the good weather days of summer faded to cold & damp days in the fall.

CJ can be effective in the right system. I just dont truly think Denver was that system. Not to mention that the Denver line was not very good this season.

I honestly think Denver deliberately wanted to get rid of CJ and this was their way of doing it.

A $2.5 million running back can hardly be overrated, particularly one that has experience in the offense. As it pertains to fantasy, sure, there's animosity aimed at Anderson for letting a ton of people down. And while the likelihood of the Broncos retaining his services was clearly identified by not slapping a higher tender on him, the sheer economics has me confused.

As a runner, regardless of whether or not he was a situational back, he did his job and he excelled at it, particularly as the weather got bad (which, it tends to do EVERY fall/winter in Denver). Anderson, while not elite nor exceptional, is still good in pass protection.

He had 15+ carries in each game this postseason.

The dude averaged 6.35 yards per carry from game 7 through game 16 on 85 rushing attempts.

People can say that he burned them in fantasy. But allowing him to walk when they literally only have ONE running back on the roster, a guy that has less career rushes than Anderson did in the Super Bowl, all to save one million bucks, is asinine IMHO.

Unless the Broncos are planning on drafting a running back, they're more likely than not going to spend more with ANY free agent they sign than what Anderson would've received. It's not like Anderson was commanding big money here. Even if they do get a guy familiar w/ ZBS like Alf Morris, I doubt it saves them that much economically.

what is Denver's deadline to match the offer?

edit: Never mind. It's Tuesday, 3/15

I don't know. Some would say he's done a pretty good job of putting a defense together.

I think Denver has actually showed a great deal of (smart) restraint by not throwing stupid money at over-valued players. To do what Houston did for Brock would have been moronic.

I dunno Anderson doesn't feel like an elite RB to me, he has had a lot of injury issues. He had what, like 3 good games last year?

I think Hillman isn't an every down back, but what if they got Juwan more involved, then drafted or signed some FA RB.

I dunno Anderson doesn't feel like an elite RB to me, he has had a lot of injury issues. He had what, like 3 good games last year?

I think Hillman isn't an every down back, but what if they got Juwan more involved, then drafted or signed some FA RB.

I would hope no one is making a case for Anderson as an elite RB. But given the market price for a running back, the second round tender would have still been outside the top 20 cap hits for a running back in 2016.

As to Thompson, I have heard good things about him and a lot of hype in the event he ever got a chance at the starting role, at least from some in the dynasty community. Perhaps the Broncos do believe it's his time.

I would hope no one is making a case for Anderson as an elite RB. But given the market price for a running back, the second round tender would have still been outside the top 20 cap hits for a running back in 2016.

As to Thompson, I have heard good things about him and a lot of hype in the event he ever got a chance at the starting role, at least from some in the dynasty community. Perhaps the Broncos do believe it's his time.

I flat out don't think Anderson is worth 18 mil for 4 years with a 5.25 mil signing bonus, that's all. I think Denver would be smarter to let him go and just platoon RB.

I flat out don't think Anderson is worth 18 mil for 4 years with a 5.25 mil signing bonus, that's all. I think Denver would be smarter to let him go and just platoon RB.

He's probably overvalued somewhat.

I figured he would top out at 3.5 - 4 mil and likely land in a spot where he will be part of a committee. This may still be the case.

there is the possibility that Miami really wants him to carry the mail. why else would they cough up this kinda cash?

That's an awful lot of money to pay someone who will split carries.

Bronocs matched Dolphins 18 million offer.

CJ will remain a Bronco.

Did it make a difference in fantasy on what team he landed on?

Will it impact where you would take him in your draft?

Bronocs matched Dolphins 18 million offer.

CJ will remain a Bronco.

Did it make a difference in fantasy on what team he landed on?

Will it impact where you would take him in your draft?

This is shocking.

I was sure the Broncos would let him walk. I figured if they wanted him, they would have tendered him a better offer so they get a 2nd round pick if someone else poaches him.

Clearly they misjudged the market for his services.