Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Patriots trade Chandler Jones to Cardinals

Well, they didn't wait. You had to guess that they were going to look to sign Hightower and Collins instead of Jones. Not a bad haul, I guess. :dunno:

Well, they didn't wait. You had to guess that they were going to look to sign Hightower and Collins instead of Jones. Not a bad haul, I guess. :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Amazing they/he skated with the whole "synthetic weed" story.

the truth will surface some day

:thumbsup:

Amazing they/he skated with the whole "synthetic weed" story.

the truth will surface some day

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a story that comes out now. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a story that comes out now. :lol:

given a choice, I'd have preferred Chandler not have the "synthetic weed" incident and still be a Patriot - he's a phenomenal pass rusher and only makes the defense better.

But... I'm glad they got something for him. The rumors have been swirling for a while now the Chandler was on the outs b/c of both his off-field stuff and the big contract he'd be looking for - NE could use and extra draft pick and O-line help. So I'll take it.

given a choice, I'd have preferred Chandler not have the "synthetic weed" incident and still be a Patriot - he's a phenomenal pass rusher and only makes the defense better.

But... I'm glad they got something for him. The rumors have been swirling for a while now the Chandler was on the outs b/c of both his off-field stuff and the big contract he'd be looking for - NE could use and extra draft pick and O-line help. So I'll take it.

Anything to help that O line. It was atrocious

Two second round picks. Maybe a move up?

To where? The problem is, if they move up to a spot above 29, then the league takes the higher pick. They might move around during the draft, but moving into the mid first won't happen.

Anything to help that O line. It was atrocious

Sure..though, have read where this guy was in danger of losing his starting job in Az...good to get something, rather than lose a guy the next year I guess.

To where? The problem is, if they move up to a spot above 29, then the league takes the higher pick. They might move around during the draft, but moving into the mid first won't happen.

Interesting point. But they would get the 29 pick then?

Interesting point. But they would get the 29 pick then?

yes

Sure..though, have read where this guy was in danger of losing his starting job in Az...good to get something, rather than lose a guy the next year I guess.

Cooper has never started for AZ although the hope was that he could this year. He has been a bust although part of it is injury problems.

Cooper has never started for AZ although the hope was that he could this year. He has been a bust although part of it is injury problems.

He is going to be a one year rental, in all likelihood, and at cheap money. The Patriots would have to pick up a $11.9M option by May 3 to keep him for 2017. They are not going to do that. If he plays half decent, then he goes out in the market and gets a better deal elsewhere. If he is a bust, then they are glad to get rid of him.

I think that the Pats also freed up $5m with the move.

My guess is that they grab Chris Long as a FA to help with the loss of a pass rusher. We will see if he has anything left in the tank.

• Like 1

Looking at the AFC after the dismantling of Denver and Cincy, NE doesn't have to do a whole lot to win it. I guess Pitt looks like the biggest obstacle, but they just lost Bryant and that defense still stinks.

What the fock?

Maybe it's related to his little venture to the police station during the playoffs

Glad to see edjr still posting things that aren't important...

:cheers:

What the fock?

Maybe it's related to his little venture to the police station during the playoffs

they can't possibly pay Hightower, collins and Butler (next year) and Jones.

Scarnecchia will turn Cooper into a probowler...

I liked Jones but we need the help on the oline...

He is going to be a one year rental, in all likelihood, and at cheap money. The Patriots would have to pick up a $11.9M option by May 3 to keep him for 2017. They are not going to do that. If he plays half decent, then he goes out in the market and gets a better deal elsewhere. If he is a bust, then they are glad to get rid of him.

I think that the Pats also freed up $5m with the move.

My guess is that they grab Chris Long as a FA to help with the loss of a pass rusher. We will see if he has anything left in the tank.

Easy guess

Either way one thing you can say about the Pats even if you hate them is that they do play smart when it comes to roster moves

Either way one thing you can say about the Pats even if you hate them is that they do play smart when it comes to roster moves

I am not sure if "smart" is the best term. You could easily argue that some of the moves have hurt and some of the moves not made have hurt. Overall, they get more right than wrong, but they are far from perfect.

I would probably use the term, "bold". They are not afraid to release a guy who is a fan favorite (Milloy) or to trade a guy early (Jones, Seymour).

Haven't read all of the thread but this is a smart move. Avoid him becoming a cap casualty and get a 2nd round pick out of it. This is why the Pats are consistently on top. People may say it's a bad move now but when he leaves Arizona for a huge contract, the tune will change. I think it's also a good move by the Cardinals who are in a win now period with Palmer getting near the end.

He was due 7 million by the Patriots

Haven't read all of the thread but this is a smart move. Avoid him becoming a cap casualty and get a 2nd round pick out of it. This is why the Pats are consistently on top. People may say it's a bad move now but when he leaves Arizona for a huge contract, the tune will change. I think it's also a good move by the Cardinals who are in a win now period with Palmer getting near the end.

Well, you have to remember that losing a FA could get you a compensatory pick. It is likely that losing a guy like Jones would net them a 3rd round compensatory pick depending others that they may sign. Starting next year, those compensatory picks can be traded, unlike now.

I still think that it was a situation where they were not going to overpay Jones. The market is stupid now after the deals that have been signed, so getting guys locked up is going to be hard. I think that the Patriots will have to save up some money, wait a little for the dust to settle and then they look to lock up Collins, Hightower and Butler. In the meantime, they have another 2nd round pick, which is a round that Belichick loves.

In the minority here, but I don't see messing with a team that was thisclose to another SB appearance for a late second rounder. The Pats are the clear class of the conference with what has gone on in Denver and Cincy. I would have gone the re-load route instead.

Scarnecchia will turn Cooper into a probowler...

I liked Jones but we need the help on the oline...

Scarnecchia is a miracle worker. The best move they made all offseason was getting him to unretire. I have heard Cooper just has confidence issues. If Scarnecchia can't get him straightened out no one can.

In the minority here, but I don't see messing with a team that was thisclose to another SB appearance for a late second rounder. The Pats are the clear class of the conference with what has gone on in Denver and Cincy. I would have gone the re-load route instead.

This is why the Patriots are contenders every year. They look long term not short term. They have three studs on defense coming due at the end of the year, Collins, Hightower and Chandler. Chandler was likely to make the most of any of the three but I think Collins and Hightower are the better players to keep. They get something for Chandler. DE is a position of strength of the Patriots and they also sign Chris Long to add depth for a year. Then they get an offensive lineman (a position of weakness) who could potentially be a solid player and they get a 2nd round draft pick.

The other teams in the Patriots division are stacked at Defensive line and the Broncos are also a great pass rushing team. The Patriots number 1 priority should be to protect Brady better. Look for them to load up on offensive linemen in the draft.

This is why the Patriots are contenders every year. They look long term not short term. They have three studs on defense coming due at the end of the year, Collins, Hightower and Chandler. Chandler was likely to make the most of any of the three but I think Collins and Hightower are the better players to keep. They get something for Chandler. DE is a position of strength of the Patriots and they also sign Chris Long to add depth for a year. Then they get an offensive lineman (a position of weakness) who could potentially be a solid player and they get a 2nd round draft pick.

The other teams in the Patriots division are stacked at Defensive line and the Broncos are also a great pass rushing team. The Patriots number 1 priority should be to protect Brady better. Look for them to load up on offensive linemen in the draft.

That's a great strategy when your HOF Qb is in his prime. TB isnt going to last forever, so I feel until he's gone the Pats should be in win now mode.

That's a great strategy when your HOF Qb is in his prime. TB isnt going to last forever, so I feel until he's gone the Pats should be in win now mode.

You also have to remember that the Patriots planned for some of this. In the 2015 draft, they picked Geneo Grissom in the 3rd round and Trey Flowers in the 4th round. They believe that both of these guys can contribute to the pass rush on the edge. They did not draft them both to sit.

I expect them to extend Sheard as well. Long provides a little insurance and I do think that they liked having a 3 man rotation at DE on game days.

He was due 7 million by the Patriots

Chump change in today's free agent market.

I think this was mostly related to off-field stuff. They aren't willing to commit to a big new contract with him because of that versus simply not being able to do it under the cap.

:doh:

they need every penny they can scrounge to resign Hightower, Butler and Collins

I think this was mostly related to off-field stuff. They aren't willing to commit to a big new contract with him because of that versus simply not being able to do it under the cap.

The feeling in town even before the incident was that the Patriots were going to let Jones walk. They thought that Collins and Hightower had more value to the defense and were likely to command more manageable contracts. The synthetic marijuana incident was merely another factor.

Belicheck is ahead of the game again seeing that veteran short contract DE's can produce, and not to overpay... DE is the new RB in being overpaid.

I wonder if they could functionally workaround this by having a team draft a played the patriots want, and then have the player traded to the pats for a package ... I don't think it will happen, but would love to see them out smart the front office.

The thing is the salaries of players change. So they can't keep all the same players with the salary cap because they will go over it and need to get rid of some or work a better salary.

I wonder if they could functionally workaround this by having a team draft a played the patriots want, and then have the player traded to the pats for a package ... I don't think it will happen, but would love to see them out smart the front office.

I don't see why not?

:D CHEATERS! CHEATS!!!! Damn you Patriots!!!

:cry: :cry:

Belicheck is ahead of the game again seeing that veteran short contract DE's can produce, and not to overpay... DE is the new RB in being overpaid.

Disagree. Pass rushers in a passing league are necessary to win.