Sign in to follow this  
npitzer0988

Same Old League _ New Set Up

Hey Everyone,

Just want to throw this new League set up on here. It is what I am planning on using for 2016. Been a commish of the same league with 10 managers for a decade +

OLD: 10 Managers

Roster: QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,TE,FLEX,D, K, bench (6)

Waivers: Auction

NEW: 12 Managers

Roster: QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,TE,FLEX,D, K, bench 3 or 4 (leaning towards 3) AND IR bench (2)

Waivers: Auction

Why:

With the overwhelming increase of all types of injuries across the league, My league has seen multiple teams be crippled before week 6 after losing a first round draft pick or multiple - abruptly ending their playoff hopes. Trades have also become extinct due to managers focusing solely on the snagging the back up of the next full time starter that goes on the season ending IR.

This new set up allows more of a "Daily Fantasy" philosophy with the waiver pool being flushed with starting talent that injury riddled teams can use to bounce back after losing a Star that goes on season ending IR (even if they don't acquire their stars backup through the waiver auction). I believe it also allows more SKILL to be involved with skilled managers being able to pick and choose waiver players weekly based on matchup etc.

As a commish I am simply trying to make sure my league is evolving as the NFL is evolving.

Please feel free to poke holes in this new league set up as I have been trying to do the same.

Thanks,

Nick

What qualifies a player for IR bench? I would recommend just going with 4 bench spots and not messing with IR, especially if this is a redraft league.

Agree with the above post , opt out the IR and just go four on the bench .

And I like changes it makes it more interesting .

• Like 1

2016 will be the first time I will go with the 2 IR bench spots. It is very new to me and I just discovered you could even do that 6 months ago.

I think It is a smart way to go to make sure teams don't get penalized a bench spot for a player that continually battles injuries throughout the fantasy season.

Big BenAndy Dalton, Todd Gurley, LeSean McCoy, and Matt Forte are a few of the best examples of a player like this last year. (Both were performing as top 5 Qb's but could not stay consistently healthy.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you all!

Relying on NFL injury lists will be infuriating because they are not consistent from team to team. Very few players are actually listed as out - most will be designated as doubtful or questionable even when "everybody knows" that they are not playing. The guys that get sent to IR will be pretty useless in a redraft league. If you have a keeper/dynasty league, maybe you can consider keeping an extra slot for the IR guys but all it really does is allow someone to not have to make a tough decision.

• Like 1

My MFL 12 team league with the same lineups uses 4 bench spots and one IR bench. People can only be placed on IR bench if they are OUT or are on IR. If a player is put on the IR bench, they must stay on the IR bench for a minimum of 21 days, so you have to be careful not to put someone on IR bench if they are only going to be out a week or two. Once the 21 days are up, you have to take them off the IR bench unless they are still on IR or OUT. The commissioner chose this 4 bench and 1 IR setup to prevent managers from hoarding players and forcing them to make tough decisions on who to drop/add/deactivate to IR.

Maybe I don't see it posted , but is this a keeper league ? .

I dig you trying to bring changes into the league. It's up to the mish to keep things interesting. 4 bench n 2 IR slots open to OUT or IR can be tough to track. Did team 7 put that player on IR n make a ww add when said player was only questionable?

I dig you trying to bring changes into the league. It's up to the mish to keep things interesting. 4 bench n 2 IR slots open to OUT or IR can be tough to track. Did team 7 put that player on IR n make a ww add when said player was only questionable?

The websites track that. At least MFL tracks it, not sure about ESPN.

In my MFL keeper league we are not allowed to utilize IR unless the player is placed on IR by his NFL team.

In my MFL keeper league we are not allowed to utilize IR unless the player is placed on IR by his NFL team.

Always thought that's the way it was meant to be used .

In the leagues that I've been involved in that had an IR was the way it was used .

Kind of interested in that tiny bench to get that waiver wire churning like daily fantasy like you said. You have your core team but must stay active to succeed week to week.

Goes against the trend of really large roster trend

I like the idea. I'd be real tempted to load up on one or two bye weeks and ride it out, personally.

Kind of interested in that tiny bench to get that waiver wire churning like daily fantasy like you said. You have your core team but must stay active to succeed week to week.

Goes against the trend of really large roster trend

Yeah that's a good point .

I agree I think it's a good move .